Opinion What the midfield is lacking

Remove this Banner Ad

I put it in another thread the other day, I think that there's an overemphasis on clearances. We've been winning the clearances more often than not this year, and the game against Essendon was the only game this season where we've lost both the stoppages and centre bounces. That part of our game was undoubtedly shitful, but it was a bit of an anomaly against a side which has actually been very good in clearances, and even managed to win the clearances when it got destroyed by the Giants.

It'd be good to get better in clearances, but I don't think that Wills is the man to make it happen. More important, I'd like us to be cleaner and to have more system exiting stoppages, and Wills is definitely not the man for that. We need to improve with what we have, and hopefully find some better performance when Sier comes in.

What they are lacking is movement at a stoppage, against Brisbane they were on the move and able to get those quick clearances that can cause damage. Against Essendon they just stood there.

We have plenty of outside midfielders but only Sier, Adams, Greenwood who are in and under. At the moment only Adams is getting a go in the middle so when he’s not at a stoppage there are issues

Since Sier came in last year we had a complete mid-field with Wells, Callum Brown, Rupert Wills among others as depth. Not sure what Beams really adds. Callum and Wills are midfielders and are wasted as forwards. I assume Beams is playing with an injury so maybe throw him forward for a few games and let young Callum have 2-3 games in the midfield to see how he goes? We want to see De Goey in the guts more, but he's also badly needed forward. Maybe Beams and De Goey can play 50/50 midfield and forward?

What is Wills future? From what I've heard it doesn't sound like trying to reinvent him as a forward is working. We already had a stacked midfield in 2018. Sier completed the midfield in the 2nd half of the year. Beams is meant to be the cherry on top in 2019. But because of the lack of balance we're crying out every game to throw our best forward into the middle. It's a frustrating situation and I'd like to see us shuffle the old deck chairs around to find that better balance.

A midfield full of one way runners in Pendles, Sidey, Beams, Treloar and Phillips is proving to be one-dimensional and in urgent need of being balanced out. Is there still no word on what the hell is going on with Sier? It's hard to try to fit him into the equation. Is he injured? Causing trouble behind the scenes? We need him back ASAP and if that's not able to happen any time soon then maybe give Wills another go. I'm not even putting Daniel Wells into the equation because we can't rely on him.

People are so averse to any kind of change here though. Why, I'm not sure. Seems the only solution anyone can think of each week is "Get De Goey in the guts!". How many other teams take their best forward out of the forward line every week to be the difference maker in the middle?

Someone who has leg speed, agility, line breaking ability and sharp kicking skills
Just more of number 2, maybe?
I'd like Sier and JDG in there, actually.
I think we often lack quality clearances amongst the ones we do get; and let oppo mids get too many of their own with a lack of tackling or defensive focus (something Wills does provide).

Last edited:
I don't mind who they try as an extra inside mid until sier is good to go, but it is clear we need another for balance. If not wills, I'd even try aish or brown. We shouldn't be afraid to try things at this time of the season.

Just more of number 2, maybe?
I'd like Sier and JDG in there, actually.
I think we often lack quality clearances amongst the ones we do get; and let oppo mids get too many of their own with a lack of tackling or defensive focus (something Wills does provide).
Need to just stand next to our opponent in the centre clearances and back ourselves to win the contested 50:50 ball.
I think JDG playing forward for the first half and then mid in the second half is to keep him fresh for the second half of the year. That’s when I think se’ll See more of him in the middle.

Yes, I think it might be worth a try getting Wills in for Greenwood; Port have a dangerous midfield group with 2 very capable rucks. If they start getting on top at the clearances it could be very dangerous. Wills is a beast - let me get in there against Wines and Powell-Pepper and then handball out to our runners and users.

Lacking?

Arya Stark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of us are midfield coaches and we don't understand the dynamics and components it takes to be part of and run a successful midfield unit.

It could be as simple finding the right combination between offensive and defensive midfielders. It could just simply be that our midfield have been beaten on that particular night.

I think fundamentally our midfield is on the right track, personally i believe it is just a matter of time before our team clicks in general and we start to find some form and momentum. Time will tell, but for now we've got winning form so i wouldn't stress too hard that our midfield isn't dominating as most people expected.

Afterall it is only September form that matters, no one remembers which midfield operated best in the first 5 rounds of any given season.

Didn't realise Ed Langdon was averaging almost 30 disposals, he's elite now.

With whe back in and Elliott our forward line can impact more with Dagoey spending more time in the middle. He only needs another 3-4 Min a qtr in there taking into account rotation etc

I still worry about his tank. The Doggies game is the only game where he's significantly exceeded 80%TOG which says to me he's already heavily rotated. How does additional midfield time impact that?

As much I admire what Wills has shown to date, I find it bizarre that people argue that our saviour is a lad who has only played 6 games of senior footy. (Or 12 games of senior footy in Sier’s case)

It seems that every player who is not selected can become the panacea to our problems.

As much I admire what Wills has shown to date, I find it bizarre that people argue that our saviour is a lad who has only played 6 games of senior footy. (Or 12 games of senior footy in Sier’s case)

It seems that every player who is not selected can become the panacea to our problems.
And when they leave Collingwood they become greater players the longer time goes by.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back