Opinion What the midfield is lacking

Remove this Banner Ad

As much I admire what Wills has shown to date, I find it bizarre that people argue that our saviour is a lad who has only played 6 games of senior footy. (Or 12 games of senior footy in Sier’s case)

It seems that every player who is not selected can become the panacea to our problems.
I don't think anyone is claiming that he's se kind of saviour.
But he is a very inside clearance mid.
And that is most definitely what we have lacked.

A stop gap until Sier hopefully

I still worry about his tank. The Doggies game is the only game where he's significantly exceeded 80%TOG which says to me he's already heavily rotated. How does additional midfield time impact that?
yeah i can see where you are coming from. depending on the run of play as a forward you can still run up the miles eg) Cloke and riewolt as examples back in the day. and given apparently 50% of the time his in the middle we get the clearance then he can just get the clearance and stay in the centre for the next centre bounce so it may be less running haha :)

It’s lacking:

Tom Wilson

that’s what.

When can Wilson play for us? I read an article which implied he could play tomorrow if needed. Is that right? There IS a type of player we're lacking, & its a big strong mid/back/forward/ruck, (but mostly mid) who can help lift our clearances. When we're winning the clearances (esp centre bounces) we're bloody unstoppable. We're pretty good at it, but if we can lift it a tad more we'd go undefeated. We now have 3 such blokes in Sier, Wills, & now Tom Wilson. (I love it when we get guys who were lifelong Pies fans!).
Contrary to what someone said above, I don't see any of the guys in the Magoos as a panacea, simply because we don't NEED a panacea! We are easily the best there is, & guys like Tyler Brown, Izzy, & Daics are going to KEEP us no.1 for a long time to come. I love that were allowing these guys to develop, but once in a while guys in the 3-4 year range need a run in the ones every so often (& when form demands it) to keep them interested. And while I thought Reid was a mistake last week, he proved me wrong - despite his wonky kicking - and gave a spark to the guys in the Magoos, as I hope Willsy will do this week. Its hard to deny his form, averaging 30 touches in the last 4, and he has big talent, including a monster left boot (remember the goal from half back in the wet 2 years ago?).
The only things we need to win every game this year, are a few more stoppage wins, and straighter kicking, a long time problem for us. We could/should have been 10.3 at quarter time last week. Game over. aint no one coming back from 60 down.
As for DeGoey, I love how he's been used lately. moving between mid & forward, (frankly I think that's a Longmuir move, but thats just me). Of course we should flog Carlton by 20 goals, but we won't. We never do. Plus they're trying to recover from an embarrassing drubbing by the bottom side, so I DO expect them to come out hard. They have a few better players this year, & I do hope Bucks tries Greenwood on Cripps for a while at least. The better he plays the better they do. Walsh is clearly a very good player, but not affecting outcomes much. Last week their best player to 3/4 time was one D.Thomas, who is playing his best footy since he was dumped. I still love watching Daisy, he was my favourite player for years, but lately there's no one I'd rather watch than Darcy Moore. What a player he is going to be! Remember he's only 23 with just 60 games in him! DeGoey is the same age & a fair way from his ton. But then Stevo is only 20 & has just 30 odd games,
Frankly, I'm loving being a Collingwood nut at the moment. We're great to watch! & though I don't reccomend it, I've bet on us to win the next 4 flags. Well no one else has done it!
(sorry bout the novel :) )

The midfield is lacking ponies. We need an urgent influx of ponies.

Rupert wills
Our midfield is in desperate need of a bullocking midfielder, who runs both ways and doesn't stop tackling, theirs plenty of talent with the likes of pendles trelor sidebottom and beams, I just feel with a guy like wills in there these guys would just flourish with some real grunt around them
A sumo wrestler might do just as well in the clinches. I hope Wills has more to offer than merely adding grunt to the clearances. Still if he somewhat nullifies Crusp he will have done his job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what does everyone think now after wills has had a few games in the midfield ?
He’s done very well indeed.

Good on him for working hard to get his opportunity, and nailing it.

Wills certainly lacks leg speed and his disposal isn't anything to write home about but that isn't the lack we have. We have enough speed and class disposal, what we lack is grunt power to balance that out and allow our class mids to be creative.

14 senior games . . . 100 tackles . . .

That is some SERIOUS grunt, and for those still intent on ripping DeGoey out of the forward line to do a job that is faaar below his talent level pin this in front of your eyeballs. . . . Wills tackles to HURT - watch the vision when he gets involved in the play. He drags those ball carriers down, sits on them, rolls on them and uses his weight and strength to generally monster them . . when he finally moves aside and they lurch to their feet there is pain in their stance and worry in their eyes when they look at him.

THAT is what our midfield lacks and its time to let go of this slow and poor disposal crap.

Wills is the answer.

Wills certainly lacks leg speed and his disposal isn't anything to write home about but that isn't the lack we have. We have enough speed and class disposal, what we lack is grunt power to balance that out and allow our class mids to be creative.

14 senior games . . . 100 tackles . . .

That is some SERIOUS grunt, and for those still intent on ripping DeGoey out of the forward line to do a job that is faaar below his talent level pin this in front of your eyeballs. . . . Wills tackles to HURT - watch the vision when he gets involved in the play. He drags those ball carriers down, sits on them, rolls on them and uses his weight and strength to generally monster them . . when he finally moves aside and they lurch to their feet there is pain in their stance and worry in their eyes when they look at him.

THAT is what our midfield lacks and its time to let go of this slow and poor disposal crap.

Wills is the answer.

His new nickname - "The Answer".

I can get on board with that.

To answer the topic.
A fit and healthy Beams.
A creative and committed Sier.
A determined and driven Wills

At the moment we seem to have only 1 of these 3.

Yep, well done to Rupe for his last few games. Got his chance and has done his best to grab it. For me it seems like he has also allowed Adams to get freer as well. Rupe goes in again and again, tackling with that big body, tiring the oppo's inside mids out, and Tay - no inside slouch himself but more of a proven gun - can be nearby as well feasting on his bullocking crumbs too.

Rupert wills
Our midfield is in desperate need of a bullocking midfielder, who runs both ways and doesn't stop tackling, theirs plenty of talent with the likes of pendles trelor sidebottom and beams, I just feel with a guy like wills in there these guys would just flourish with some real grunt around them
You sir are a genius

Remove this Banner Ad

Back