Training What the tag says - training 2017

Wasn't Sandilands out for some time with his turf toe last year?
Last year it was his ribs after Naitanui collected him

His turf toe was a couple more years ago

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
I also saw Venables IG story and thought it wasn't too good of him to miss the game whilst in Melbourne but then I reassessed after I remembered he and Laverde are good mates and it was Laverdes first game back from injury on the weekend. So I'm not too fussed about it tbh. I think he would be a little more settled here than most because he has family over here. If there was talk of him wanting to go home no doubt Shuey would be in his ear reminding him the club put a lot of faith in him by drafting him over a WA product in SPP despite his injury troubles. And the club has been good enough to let him go home a few times throughout his first season. How many of the young WA lads drafted to interstate clubs are allowed to come home for a week or so if they're injured? I certainly haven't heard of it happening as much as WC allow it.

Last edited:
Full compliment on the track today with the obvious exceptions of Naitanui, Allen and Butler

Bad news is that Venables made only a brief appearance and did no more than the initial stretches and walked a lap or two. A return to playing footy looks a a fair way away

The other curiousity was Partington sitting out almost all the drills and did nothing much more than stationary handballing with a few of the players that played Sunday. No idea what to read into that

Good news is that JK was moving freely and joined in a lot of the drills. Think he'll be ready for the derby

The other players on last weeks injury list (Waterman, Nelson, Tunbridge, Bayok and Rioli) all trained fully albeit it was a light session. Watched Rioli a fair bit in particular and he was moving just fine

Pratt spent more time with Barrass working on his defensive positioning which was again good to see

Mackenzie, Shepp, Yeo, Gaff and Lycett were the guys from Sunday on light duties and didn't do much at all

Lycett and Yeo both training as usual

Cole didn't do much and left early - at least I think it was him. Almost all the players are wearing caps which makes it hard to tell some of them apart

No Venables

Rioli looking good

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
How many of the young WA lads drafted to interstate clubs are allowed to come home for a week or so if they're injured? I certainly haven't heard of it happening as much as WC allow it.

I work with a young girl who knows Cam Zurhaar from North and he's apparently given three flights home a year.

Keys does Lycett look like he could come back this week?
Too early to say. Moved ok, or as OK as Slyce moves at least. Didn't do any contact work though which will likely be the important thing in deciding if he can play

That he was out there at all and training with the main group is a positive in itself

How is Yeo moving? Looking like a likely in?

Wouldn't have known he missed a game. Trained just like the rest of the group so I'd be surprised if he doesn't play this weekend

Trained in three basic groups
- those that played WAFL plus Wellingham and Tunbridge did a longer session since they played on Saturday or not at all
- those that played the derby
- a smaller group that handballed to each other and not much else

Sheppard, Lecras and Priddis I didn't see at all

Karpany was out there but was wearing a T-shirt and basically just stood around. The logical guess is he won't be available

Whether it was the caps most of them wore because of the AFLW publicity shot they took before training started or my failing eyesight I had a lot of trouble picking players out today but I definitely didn't see Venables make even a token appearance. I reckon his year is done

Trained in three basic groups
- those that played WAFL plus Wellingham and Tunbridge did a longer session since they played on Saturday or not at all
- those that played the derby
- a smaller group that handballed to each other and not much else

Sheppard, Lecras and Priddis I didn't see at all

Karpany was out there but was wearing a T-shirt and basically just stood around. The logical guess is he won't be available

Whether it was the caps most of them wore because of the AFLW publicity shot they took before training started or my failing eyesight I had a lot of trouble picking players out today but I definitely didn't see Venables make even a token appearance. I reckon his year is done

Injury update this afternoon will be interesting. Though it will probably say nothing.

Was Rioli with the WAFL group?

Back