List Mgmt. What the team needs to look like in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Wigg is a real mystery atm. Apparently had a really good ps and is a great kick but didnt play a nab game?? Then dominated in the sanfl trial yesterday with 37 touches. Its very important that we pump the games into mcgovern, wigg and milera because out of the next bunch pushing for selection these are the 3 that will imo be in our next premiership team.
Wigg is still a little slight but doesn't have the pace to make up for it. Happy to wait a little longer but hopefully he can thicken up a bit. Can definitely play.

So crucial that we perform this year and attract a gun mid. Can't have a situation like when we chased Gibbs but we fell in a heap
really the obvious need at the moment. Thommo has looked good during the preseason but after him, Sloane and Douglas we're still going in on potential.

really need to shake someone loose like Collingwood did with Treloar.

Wigg is still a little slight but doesn't have the pace to make up for it. Happy to wait a little longer but hopefully he can thicken up a bit. Can definitely play.

really the obvious need at the moment. Thommo has looked good during the preseason but after him, Sloane and Douglas we're still going in on potential.

really need to shake someone loose like Collingwood did with Treloar.
Those bastards did extremely well landing Treloar and Aish.

Aish is a bit like Toumpas. Not quite good enough outside for a player that is purely outside.
Aish will surprise quite a few in the coming years I reckon. Being an outside mid is a hard role in a s**t side like Brisbane. Collingwood will get their s**t together in the next few years and Aish will come into his prime over the same period. Future bargain

So a lot of people still don't like the idea of Hartigan being in our team going forward, so how about Jordan Roughead??

I honestly used to think he was an absolute beast of a defender a couple of years back and thought he'd be the next big thing in terms of KPDs. Not really sure what's gone wrong tbh. Injuries have played a big part in it, but when he's finally fit, dogs seem to want to use him in the ruck and up forward, every position but defence.

I think his best position is FB by a country mile. Big lad too to take those monster forwards, but also a very good mover for someone 200cm. He moves into our best 22 and Hartigan would be great back up to have if Rougheads body breaks down again. Would be good competition for spots at a minimum.

Obviously the biggest ? would be if he's willing to move out of Vic for opportunity + $$$ and what would dogs want.

I'm more happy to continue with Hartigan, but it's an idea..

So a lot of people still don't like the idea of Hartigan being in our team going forward, so how about Jordan Roughead??

Interesting, but I'm expecting Hartigan to prove all the doubters wrong this year. He's only played 28 games and there was a clear improvement through the whole of last year.

Talia (24), Hartigan (24), Lever (20), Brown (23), Laird (22) + Smith (24)/Doedee (19)/Hampton (23) looks like a pretty bloody good backline to me, and it's only going to get better over the next few years.

Aish will surprise quite a few in the coming years I reckon. Being an outside mid is a hard role in a s**t side like Brisbane. Collingwood will get their s**t together in the next few years and Aish will come into his prime over the same period. Future bargain
I'm undecided on aish. Will watch with interest whether he takes his game to another level

I honestly used to think he was an absolute beast of a defender a couple of years back and thought he'd be the next big thing in terms of KPDs. Not really sure what's gone wrong tbh. Injuries have played a big part in it, but when he's finally fit, dogs seem to want to use him in the ruck and up forward, every position but defence.

I think his best position is FB by a country mile. Big lad too to take those monster forwards, but also a very good mover for someone 200cm. He moves into our best 22 and Hartigan would be great back up to have if Rougheads body breaks down again. Would be good competition for spots at a minimum.

Obviously the biggest ? would be if he's willing to move out of Vic for opportunity + $$$ and what would dogs want.

Roughy looks entrenched at the bullies as a ruckmen-forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this is the right thread but the Melbourne old guard seem to be doing them selves no favours with regards to Jessie hogan staying with the Dees. From memory his contract was up at the end of this year and he was a crows supporter growing up. Just saying... 2017 crows forward line of

Betts Hogan Cameron (or Milera)
Lynch walker Menzel

Unlikely but geez that'd be nice.

Last edited:

Waste of resources IMO, let's get Hartigan to 50 games and he may end up better than Roughead and others

We need a deeper midfield and keep a high draft pick in next 2 drafts for a KPF

Not sure if this is the right thread but the Melbourne old guard seem to be doing them selves no favours with regards to Jessie hogan staying with the Dees. From memory his contract was up at the end of this year and he was a crows supporter growing up. Just saying... 2017 crows forward line of

Betts Hogan Cameron (or Milera)
Lynch walker Menzel

Unlikely but geez that'd be nice.
We threw a big $$$ offer at jeremy cameron what makes you think we wont do the same to hogan? Its time we grabbed a big fish.

We threw a big $$$ offer at jeremy cameron what makes you think we wont do the same to hogan? Its time we grabbed a big fish.
I'd like the club to at least investigate, but honestly I think we need another gun/elite mid more! If we can pull something out of the hat 'midfield trade' wise at the end of this season, I'd feel a lot more comfortable than bringing in another forward to an already potent attack. Have we still got big $ to throw around?

Roughy looks entrenched at the bullies as a ruckmen-forward.

I'd be inclined to agree, but they really seem to be struggling to find a role for him so far. I think Tom Campbell is the preferred ruckmen at this stage, and he is almost useless up forward, so clumsy. Not a lot of room up forward either with Stringer, Boyd, Redpath, Crameri etc. Id be monitoring him closely at least.

Waste of resources IMO, let's get Hartigan to 50 games and he may end up better than Roughead and others

We need a deeper midfield and keep a high draft pick in next 2 drafts for a KPF

Ive been one of Hartigan's biggest supporters and I agree, get him to 50 games. Should play another 22 this season, but there's no harm in assessing the scenario come end of this year.

We have McGovern and Dear developing up forward now, and down back we only have Shaw and Otten who could be in danger of being delisted soon. If Roughead falls out of favour, I dont think we would need to give up THAT much for him, especially if he's requesting a move out. But again, I don't envisage him wanting to leave Melbourne anytime soon. Again, monitor closely.

I'd like the club to at least investigate, but honestly I think we need another gun/elite mid more! If we can pull something out of the hat 'midfield trade' wise at the end of this season, I'd feel a lot more comfortable than bringing in another forward to an already potent attack. Have we still got big $ to throw around?
We must still have the money we were offering to Danger at the very minimum

I'd be inclined to agree, but they really seem to be struggling to find a role for him so far. I think Tom Campbell is the preferred ruckmen at this stage, and he is almost useless up forward, so clumsy. Not a lot of room up forward either with Stringer, Boyd, Redpath, Crameri etc. Id be monitoring him closely at least.

Ive been one of Hartigan's biggest supporters and I agree, get him to 50 games. Should play another 22 this season, but there's no harm in assessing the scenario come end of this year.

We have McGovern and Dear developing up forward now, and down back we only have Shaw and Otten who could be in danger of being delisted soon. If Roughead falls out of favour, I dont think we would need to give up THAT much for him, especially if he's requesting a move out. But again, I don't envisage him wanting to leave Melbourne anytime soon. Again, monitor closely.
We could do with more KP talent at both ends and definitely deeper midfield options so you are right

Need to build through all avenues -draft trade and free agency if we are to jump into top bracket

I'd take hogan because we'd be a powerhouse for next 10 years and we could add mid talent around him in next 4 years

Pipe dreaming

Funny thing with Tom Campbell he saves his best for the Crows and usually impacts the scoreboard up forward against us.

There has to be a mid out there that wants a pay rise
We also need to show that its an attractive place to play footy with good prospects of success. Hard draw or not, we have to keep building. Show our improvement is a trend not an event.

Rd 1. Next year.

F. Betts Jenkins Menzel
Hf. Milera Walker Lynch
C. Cameron NEALE Seedsman
Hb. Smith HURLEY Brown
B. Laird Talia Lever
R. Jacobs Sloane MCrouch
Int. Mcgovern, BCrouch, Knight, Douglas
Emerg. Lyons, Atkins, Cheney.

* that left side looks good.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad