C. Cameron MCrouch Atkins
Hb. Smith Talia Brown
B. Laird Hartigan Lever
R. Jacobs BCrouch Sloane
Int. Mcgovern, Neale, Knight, Douglas
Emerg. Cey, Seedsman, Cheney.

**** that left side looks good.

Couldn't fit Hurley in?

Without getting ahead of myself here (its only been 2 rounds so far, and injures + form slumps will occur), but it's kind of scary to think that if these talented youngsters keep performing, that Douglas might be the next cab off the rank:eek:

A year is a long time in football as they say, but with Thommo gone an Douglas performing poorly, he could very well be in danger of sliding out of the 22...

Rd 1. Next year.

F. Betts Jenkins Menzel
Hf. Milera Walker Lynch
C. Cameron MCrouch Atkins
Hb. Smith Talia Brown
B. Laird Hartigan Lever
R. Jacobs BCrouch Sloane
Int. Mcgovern, Neale, Knight, Douglas
Emerg. Cey, Seedsman, Cheney.

**** that left side looks good.
seedsman is a gun. been brilliant so far. dont see why he wont be in the team long term? outside player who contests, unbelievable kick, massive pace. HAS to be in the team. type of player that even when he doesnt get many disposals he impacts/does work defensively which i love and we lack. ie if atkins or mackay dont do anything attacking (mackay especially, he sucks and i think atkisn is gun), they dont do anything defensive either.

After watching nearly half a season i thought it might be a great idea to bump this thread with other posters putting in their best teams for 2017. Mcgovern, Milera and Atkins have been real finds for us this year playing the majority of games. I genuinely believe we are getting neale with thompson retiring at seasons end.

B: Brown, Talia, Lever
HB: Smith, Hartigan, Laird
C: Atkins, Sloane, Cameron
HF: Milera, Walker, Lynch
F: Betts, Jenkins, McGovern
R: Jacobs, Mrouch, ___
I/C: Seedsman, ___, ___, ___

Can not tell who will fill those last four spots. Lyons, Cheney, Brouch, Menzel, Wigg, Doedee, Greenwood, Keath, Douglas (if he comes good again) and any of our draftees/traded in players would be contenders IMO.

HB: Smith, Hartigan, Laird
R: Jacobs, Mrouch, ___
I/C: Seedsman, ___, ___, ___

Can not tell who will fill those last four spots. Lyons, Cheney, Brouch, Menzel, Wigg, Doedee, Greenwood, Keath, Douglas (if he comes good again) and any of our draftees/traded in players would be contenders IMO.

No mention of Knight? Last year he looked by far the better of the two of he and atkins.

No mention of Knight? Last year he looked by far the better of the two of he and atkins.
In the ef vs dogs atkins went missing and knight announced himself with a huge performance. Its a real shame he hasnt been able to get on the park this year due to injuries. Atkins has overtaken him this year.

If I'm honest, I reckon 2018 is our flag year.

If we trade in, say, a Steele this year (who I really want) and draft someone like Venables, I reckon we'll be primed.

HB: Doedee, Hartigan, Laird
R: Jacobs, Steele, Venables
I/C: Seedsman, Smith, Brouch, Mrouch

With Greenwood/Menzel/Wigg/Keath/Lyons as possibles, too.

This is assuming the young guys who have shown glimpses reach their potential.

Wowee

If we trade in, say, a Steele this year (who I really want) and draft someone like Venables, I reckon we'll be primed.

Wowee
Brown and jacobs will definately not be on any premiership side! I think we have ample evidence of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont understand how every living being in the universe can see that Douglas and MacKay do not provide anything near what senior players should, but the people within the AFC cant. These 2 would not get a game for any of the sides who finished above us, so it doesnt take a genius to see that these need to go. Players of their experience and age contribute more than what we are getting.

I also believe that Jacobs should be our biggest piece of trade bait. Clearly on the downhill slide fast. ROB is ready, draft some project rucks with late or rookie picks, delist lowden. Use Jacobs currency to draft a midfielder.

Next year Out Jacobs, Thompson, MacKay, Douglas
In Hampton, Milera, ROB, Knight / Draft pick.

I dont understand how every living being in the universe can see that Douglas and MacKay do not provide anything near what senior players should, but the people within the AFC cant. These 2 would not get a game for any of the sides who finished above us, so it doesnt take a genius to see that these need to go. Players of their experience and age contribute more than what we are getting.
Its an interesting point to make. I think they are struggling as well but I don't think I would be doing my list management based on an artificial trade table. ''ok everybody is on the table now who wants them? , nobody , what you mean our whole list is rubbish?''

Maybe its a fairer comparison to ask what do they bring to your team , can someone else offer the same or better (internally first) and then look to replace. I wouldn't make the decision to get them out of the AFC but I would certainly look to move them down a level.

Working on the players currently available:
B: Brown - Hartigan - Lever
HB: Laird - Talia - Smith
C: Seedsman - B. Crouch - Atkins
HF: Lynch - Walker - Cameron
F: Betts - Jenkins - McGovern
1R: Jacobs - Sloane - M. Crouch
I: Milera, Cheney, Lyons*, Menzel/Hampton

*I expect Lyons to be off elsewhere and I hope to be able to replace him with an A-Grade mid from elsewhere.

No major drastic changes because it's my belief were now in a premiership window, it's now more about tweaking the side, finding the right balance and trying to fill a hole or two from trade/FA.

I also believe that Jacobs should be our biggest piece of trade bait. Clearly on the downhill slide fast. ROB is ready, draft some project rucks with late or rookie picks, delist lowden. Use Jacobs currency to draft a midfielder.

Next year Out Jacobs, Thompson, MacKay, Douglas
In Hampton, Milera, ROB, Knight / Draft pick.

It's an interesting one, my feeling is that there's been a detrimental fascination with "experience" and a misunderstanding of how to make the most of it. Unfortunately players appear to have been getting games quite simply because they are experienced, despite the fact that lack the qualities that you want experienced players to bring to the table. This means the ability to perform under pressure, hit targets under pressure, stand up when the teams on the ropes and set an example to the younger players. Instead these so called "experienced" players let us down when it's most needed, panic under pressure, fail to execute simple skills and whilst they may set an example on the training track, certainly don't appear to set much of an example during games.

Instead of wasting games on experienced players with these obvious deficiencies, we should have been plugging games int players who won't suffer from these deficiencies so that they can become "experienced" players faster.

I think there's been some improvement in this regard in the last couple of years, but it probably hasn't gone far enough IMO.

The strange thing is, is that our only 2 premierships came off the back of a massive cull of underperforming send players. It's like we look back at what Blight did and say "gee, what a mistake that was..." :huh:

My hope is that with Roo heading up our list management committee and perhaps moving on Noble, we might see a more cut throat list management strategy.

Change the title to 2019:

B: Laird, Talia, Lever
HB: Doedee, Hartigan, Smith
C: Cameron, Sloane, Milera
HF: Menzel, Walker, Lynch
R: ROB, Brouch, Mrouch
I/C: Greenwood, Venables/Berry, Atkins, Knight

Wowee

How much cap room do we have, surely we can give a godfather offer to Dusty imagine him instead of Steele

Looks good. Would like to see Hampton or Wigg in for Greenwood.
Wigg could turn out to be a good player - he's aggressive, balanced and of course, he has a golden boot. Not completely sure about him yet, though, and he is on the dead man walking contract, after all. Would like to see him get games next year.
Hampton I feel will find it hard to make it. Reckon Seedsman/Menzel/Knight/Atkins/Milera/Cameron/Smith are all in front of him.
I love Greenwood's potential. Reckon he can, and will, add something different, and very nice, to our 22 eventually.

Just my thoughts, though.

How much cap room do we have, surely we can give a godfather offer to Dusty imagine him instead of Steele
I'd love that to happen, but I doubt it will.

Reckon we have a decent nest egg floating around somewhere, FWIW - I just have no idea how we'll use it.

I'm starting to think backline rotation of midfielders is underutilised across the competition. If Doedee becomes able to move through the midfield, and we incorporate Hampton, Seedsman, Smith Doedee, Laird, Berry*, Cameron** and Milera***, suddenly a new dimension of speed and size is added to the midfield rotation. Of course it is unlikely all these players are in the same 22, but nevertheless it shows us the potential of a system like this.

*assuming we draft him
** off the back of the square
***If moved to half back as a creative play maker. Has the foot skills for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back