What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh it's absolutely a real phenomenon, but in my experience the term has been co-opted by many who simply disagree with the more vocal left/social progressives in general, particularly on social media.
Well to be fair much of leftist social media has become an anti-free speech virtue signalling shitshow. But on the flipside you have rightist social media all clamouring to signal their love for their dear leaders and how much they love being so offensive and "triggering"people.

It's all quite painful.

Well to be fair much of leftist social media has become an anti-free speech virtue signalling shitshow. But on the flipside you have rightist social media all clamouring to signal their love for their dear leaders and how much they love being so offensive and "triggering"people.

It's all quite painful.
Even if the free speech is gutter trash and vile we still live in a democracy and it isn't a democracy if there is no freedom of expression. Hopefully the 'court of public opinion' shows that it is just trash and vile. But no one has the right to say "you can't say that!"

Just listening to the sounding board and Hutchy and Barrett are talking about his media ban from the dogs last year.
They reckon our media manager Denis Bicer had a blue with club and took some time off over the incident as he believed they handled the situation poorly.

Can anyone confirm this?
Bicer used to play footy at my club, was a bit older than me, before he moved on to another club. Man he could play, absolute gun. Had been told that he got on well with everyone at the club.

That's not to say that it broke down, but during the finals he was definitely still chummy with most including Bev.

Looking forward to part two of that Bev interview, especially seeing what he has to say about Macca. Normally I wouldn't expect a coach to say anything about an ex coach but given his relationship with the players I won't be surprised if he does.

Looking forward to part two of that Bev interview, especially seeing what he has to say about Macca. Normally I wouldn't expect a coach to say anything about an ex coach but given his relationship with the players I won't be surprised if he does.
He wouldn't say anything negative I don't think. Bev isn't the type to talk Ill of someone he hasn't had any personal dealings with.

Luke Beveridge talks Brendan McCartney, season 2017, Donald Trump and alien life
MARK ROBINSON, Herald Sun
February 24, 2017 5:00pm
Subscriber only
IN part two of Mark Robinson’s wide-ranging chat with Luke Beveridge, the Bulldogs’ premiership coach talks Brendan McCartney, season 2017, Donald Trump and alien life.

Mark Robinson: Does your ability to coach the technical side of football get underplayed because of your ability to get in the heads of players collectively and individually?

Luke Beveridge: I’m not sure if it gets underplayed. I read some commentary where people are quite complimentary about how we play. The 18-man defence and the 18-man offence and a total change in stoppage structure is your base point there. That’s the core of what we do. The emotional hooks have to complement that, but it’s only a small percentage. But I believe it’s important. It’s a hard part of coaching the game because it’s a challenge to stay original.

DOG FATHER I: ‘I TRY TO STAND UP FOR WHAT’S RIGHT’

JLT SERIES: FLAG HANGOVER OR SIDE ON THE RISE?

MR: Because those “hooks” can be accused of being gimmicks sometimes.

LB: Absolutely. You can tip it over the edge and maybe the gobstopper (story) was. I try not to take too big a risk in that regard. But you can’t under sell what held us in good stead last year. Even as lower scoring as we were, and I’m not a big quantitative guy, I’m all about the subjective side, but black and white we were second in inside 50 differential in the competition, which is a great indicator you’ve got method.

d734bb59450cc8445a6f77f4d3c92c6e

Luke Beveridge with the 2016 premiership cup. Picture: Michel Klein

MR: But 15th on differential for scoring once inside 50.

LB: I know we had problems, but it’s too simple to say the Bulldogs can’t score. We used to scratch our heads, the players did too, and we tried not to show too much of it because it was frustrating. Just opportunity after opportunity missed when they should’ve been a soda goal. Getting back to your original question, the core of what we do we have a really firm hold of and the underpinning or overlaying of emotion is only small part, but a critical part. I think you’ve got to find a way to find inspiration from within and if you can’t, you’re going to find it hard to be a successful outfit. And we’ve found a way to do that pretty quickly.

Some of those internal inspirations came through wins, like the Sydney win in 2015, because that instils belief and it’s part of the storyline. And our camps have been quite crucial in our process, some of our team building has been a real catalyst for our momentum. Our players were able to establish things that are quite powerful that are unique to us which will go beyond 2017.

MR: You trust people until the trust is broken, yeah?

LB: I give people chances. There’s trust and there’s honesty. You can still make mistakes, we all do, but it’s when they are intentionally going against the greater good, you start to question.

MR: That’s a segue. Did the Michael Talia situation, where there was investigation into passing on of information from brother to brother, did that hurt your trust in a) Michael Talia and b) the AFL?

LB: (Pause) ... I’d rather not go there. I don’t want to drum that part up again.

MR : By your answer, we got the answer anyway.

LB: Yeah. It was a significant learning curve for me. New to my role, new to my ...

MR: Dealings with the AFL?

LB: Yep.

4124c8ffe6505f77310590765a3f6adc

Luke Beveridge barks instructions from the boundary line. Picture: Michael Klein
MR: Are you able to park that because if you don’t it will eat away at you?

LB: Yeah. I understand the landscape. I don’t agree with it sometimes. City Hall is an enormously powerful regulator and I understand that.

MR: Are you a politically curious person?

LB: No. I’d rather attach myself to leaders than political parties and out of great leaders come good policies. But I understand the politics of administration because I’ve worked for government agencies. I’ve seen it right in my face.

89efe76f4c20e2083a55795d727d352a

MR: That the brand is more important that everything?

LB: Yeah, there’s a bit of that. It’s also the power. The hierarchy of an organisation and whether or not there are controls in place in decision-making is always interesting to me. Where do they actually get made? You don’t understand at times the drivers behind certain change.

MR: You’re biting your tongue here aren’t you?

LB: Yeah. There’s too many others things that happened that are not related to what happened at the end of 2015 with us. Look at the rule changes. The third-up change. The only valid reason for change is it’s easier for the umpires to umpire the game. So many of us are still scratching our heads. But we find new ways to evolve.

b23ba9a36bafae70038e2ab6c546e579

Luke Beveridge watches Bob Murphy and Easton Wood lift the premiership cup. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
MR: Tim Watson said you are potentially the greatest coach the game has produced. Did you hear that? How do you respond to that?

LB: Tim Watson said that? He’s put the mozz on me hasn’t he.

MR: You’ve coached for two years.

LB: I like to include my amateur days. It’s 10 years I’ve been coaching.

MR: And how many premierships again?

LB: Three at St Bede’s, one at Collingwood, two at Hawthorn and now one at the Dogs. Seven out of nine years ... 2011, I was with amateur rep teams. As I said, I’ve been fortunate.

GRAND FINAL: BEVERIDGE ON THE 10 MAGICAL MOMENTS

HARDCORE: DOGS FAN GETS CRAZY TRIBUTE TO BEVERIDGE

FATEFUL CALL: THE PHONE CALL THAT MADE BEVO A BULLDOG

MR: Do you know Brendan McCartney very well?

LB: No. But I’ve met Brendan.

MR: Do you like it, agree with it, when it is said McCartney instilled a brand of football which helped the Dogs win the flag. Do you give him any credit?

LB: It’s interesting isn’t it that everyone wants to assign credit ... as long as we don’t dilute the credit Joel Corey and Rohan Smith and Daniel Giansiracusa and all of our other people should get. There’s only 18 players left from 2014, but I think if you ask the players, Brendan would’ve had some positive influence. How you quantify that, I don’t know.

43a2e36f145db2e2de462d26e0b4f0af

Former captain Ryan Griffen and coach Brendan McCartney.
MR: Are you annoyed I asked that question?

LB: Not at all. I have great respect for Brendan, especially his Geelong days. A lot of Geelong players have been quite vocal about his impact on them. But there’s been so much change at our club, but ultimately you can’t be the best team in the competition if you’re not good at contested footy.

MR: Which was a strength of McCartney’s. And his stoppage beliefs.

LB: Were different to mine. The numbers game, very different.

MR : The outnumber?

LB: I’d rather not go into detail but you can safely say our whole stoppage structure changed at the end of 2014. That doesn’t mean your intent around the footy changes and it doesn’t mean at times you don’t put numbers through various mechanisms. But I think one of the critical choices coaches make is how many forwards they want forward of the stoppage and that’s a significant thing we changed with us.

MR: This might be simplistic, but more an offensive system.

LB: It gave us more a chance to score, yes.

MR: You won the flag, you went to America with the family — Dana and the two boys Kye, 18, and Noah, 16. Were you able to shut out footy?

LB: Yes. We went to New York. We were very fortunate to go there the year before, but there just wasn’t enough time to get around the Big Apple. We walked everywhere. The boys love NBA so we saw a bit of basketball, saw the Jets play the Bills on New Year’s Day, saw the Rangers - which is my team - beat the Ottawa Senators on the ice and the Rangers are Bulldogs colours. And we saw a couple of plays on Broadway.

3575daffa785cfe61638ce4e4b648e0f

Luke Beveridge presents Bob Murphy with his Jock McHale Medal. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
MR: Recognised?

LB: It was funny. You’d have your beanie on and you’d get a tap on the shoulder and they say, ‘G’day, go Doggies’. It would’ve happened three or four times, say, walking down Seventh Ave. It was amazing. I loved it. And you’d stop for a chat and most often they weren’t Bulldogs supporters, they just loved the fact the Dogs won.

MR: On to football. What changes? How much does Cloke and Crameri change it up? Bob’s back. What have you changed, if anything?

LB: Initially you do your own SWAT analysis. What are your strengths, where can we improve, where are the opportunities, what are the threats and the opportunities is a big one for us. With the change in personnel, with Stu and Clokey and everyone being a year older.

MR: It might fix up that inside 50 differential.

LB: Who knows. I said a long time ago it will be the last piece of the puzzle. Strangely, in that last month we were able to be more efficient. This year, we see what the opportunities are. We’ve trained a certain way to be able to play the way that we do and we feel we’ve done some good work there. If you ask about our core method or core style, we feel we haven’t taken that to where it can go. And with Bob back, Matty Suckling back in the fold, it gives us options, gives us even more versatility.

MR: How important is versatility?

LB: Critical. We started last year with all those high defenders and at one point we didn’t have JJ, Suckers, Bob, so we had to change what we did. The low tide mark last year was probably that game against Geelong where they beat us down there. We played pretty good footy. Jack Macrae and Tom Liberatore had the responsibility of the main two Cats players and were sensational before they got injured. When we dropped that game, having lost Mitch Wallis and Jack Redpath the week before, and then losing Macrae and Libba that day, and knowing we were playing the Kangaroos the next week with our midfield so depleted and knowing they were going to go after Marcus Bontempelli ... how we stood up for ourselves remained to be seen. That win against the Kangaroos was probably the high tide mark of the year to get us back on track.

#lolnorf

MR: And the rest became history.

fbf333876bf80b840f3ed5c60642dfd8

Jamie Macmillan tries to wrestle Marcus Bontempelli.

THE OUTSIDERS, ROCKY & ME

MR : Favourite movie?

LB: The Outsiders. Have you read the book? Susan Hinton, a 17-year-old wrote that book. Just a great story. It probably relates to the question you asked me about when I was young and confrontation. Just that socio-economic side of it. The Greasers and Socs.

MR : Favourite animated movie?

LB: Toy Story.

MR: Do you believe aliens exist?

LB: Alien life (yes). I don’t know in what form. All you need is water.

MR: Donald Trump?

LB: I’m concerned.

MR: Dinner with five people?

LB: Mark Occhilupo, my favourite surfer as a kid. Nelson Mandela.

MR: I would’ve thought being a leader you’d opt for leaders.

LB: Mine’s more heroes. Ben Roberts-Smith VC, Cathy Freeman ... and my mum.

c8054c0c6a9c5f8596d530ad48c3f58a

Western Bulldogs senior coach Luke Beveridge. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

MR: Scared of dying?

LB: Not scared, but a long, long way from being ready.

MR: Skate-boarding or surfing?

LB: Surfing.

MR: Favourite animal?

LB: Lion.

MR: Smack children, yes or no.

LB: Preferably no.

MR: If you were reborn would do anything different.

LB: I’m happy, but there’s definitely things I would do differently. I wasn’t a great player, but as much as I survived, there are things I could’ve done to be a better player.

MR: If you died tomorrow, what would you regret not doing?

LB: There’s worldly things I want to do. I want to see the world. And I want to be a bit more charitable. In many ways it can be difficult because you’re seen as someone who can help with different causes, but you’re time poor, so you can’t do a lot. I think I’d like to do more.

external

origin:video_integrator.xjeWF0OTE68bvIvA3qow4OLcvfY0aPDO

Cloke makes a statement
MR: What makes you smile other than your bad jokes?

LB: Lots of things. I’m generally a happy person. Kids make me smile. My family. Mates who I grew up make me smile.

MR: If you had a year to live, what would you do?

LB: Spend as much time as I could with Dana, Kye and Noah. I would stop coaching.

MR: If you won $20 million tonight on Tattslotto, would you stop coaching?

LB: No. Because I’d let too many people down. I love the job and I love the connection I now have with the club that I didn’t have previously. And all the people who follow it and who work in the club. I have too much responsibility to walk away from that.

MR: What scares you?

LB: I’m not big on — and it’s ironic and sad right now — but light aircraft. Just those high-risk situations where you’ve got no control of and which can result in death. Sometimes if I’m sitting on the Westgate and it’s full of cars and trucks and it’s all banked up, I’m paranoid the bridge is going to fall down because of the weight. I’ve got no control over that. I lose faith in the bridge.

MR: Do you drink milk out of the carton?

LB: No.

MR: Happiest childhood memory?

LB: Holidays in Cronulla. Every year we’d stay three weeks and that’s where I first started surfing.

MR: What movie did you last cry watching.

LB: I cry all the time in movies. Just the other night ... it was Balboa, which was Rocky 6 or 7. Don’t you love that monologue in that movie _ “Sometimes it’s not how hard you’re hit, it’s how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.’’ It’s an amazing monologue.

MR: Have you used it?

LB: No, you can’t use it. It’s Rocky’s. And it’s one of the best ever.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will sleep well now that I know Bev doesn't drink milk out of the carton.

What a dumb question from Robbo.

Bevo's lives in a house with teenage boys who would go through milk as quick as anything, and with milk costing a dollar a litre irrespective of whether you buy it in a 1L carton, or a 2 or 3L bottle, why would Bevo go the carton option creating more mess when he would logically go the 2L or 3L bottle option?

Talk about journos not doing their research...

Luke Beveridge talks Brendan McCartney, season 2017, Donald Trump and alien life
MARK ROBINSON, Herald Sun
February 24, 2017 5:00pm
Subscriber only
IN part two of Mark Robinson’s wide-ranging chat with Luke Beveridge, the Bulldogs’ premiership coach talks Brendan McCartney, season 2017, Donald Trump and alien life.

Mark Robinson: Does your ability to coach the technical side of football get underplayed because of your ability to get in the heads of players collectively and individually?

Luke Beveridge: I’m not sure if it gets underplayed. I read some commentary where people are quite complimentary about how we play. The 18-man defence and the 18-man offence and a total change in stoppage structure is your base point there. That’s the core of what we do. The emotional hooks have to complement that, but it’s only a small percentage. But I believe it’s important. It’s a hard part of coaching the game because it’s a challenge to stay original.

DOG FATHER I: ‘I TRY TO STAND UP FOR WHAT’S RIGHT’

JLT SERIES: FLAG HANGOVER OR SIDE ON THE RISE?

MR: Because those “hooks” can be accused of being gimmicks sometimes.

LB: Absolutely. You can tip it over the edge and maybe the gobstopper (story) was. I try not to take too big a risk in that regard. But you can’t under sell what held us in good stead last year. Even as lower scoring as we were, and I’m not a big quantitative guy, I’m all about the subjective side, but black and white we were second in inside 50 differential in the competition, which is a great indicator you’ve got method.

d734bb59450cc8445a6f77f4d3c92c6e

Luke Beveridge with the 2016 premiership cup. Picture: Michel Klein

MR: But 15th on differential for scoring once inside 50.

LB: I know we had problems, but it’s too simple to say the Bulldogs can’t score. We used to scratch our heads, the players did too, and we tried not to show too much of it because it was frustrating. Just opportunity after opportunity missed when they should’ve been a soda goal. Getting back to your original question, the core of what we do we have a really firm hold of and the underpinning or overlaying of emotion is only small part, but a critical part. I think you’ve got to find a way to find inspiration from within and if you can’t, you’re going to find it hard to be a successful outfit. And we’ve found a way to do that pretty quickly.

Some of those internal inspirations came through wins, like the Sydney win in 2015, because that instils belief and it’s part of the storyline. And our camps have been quite crucial in our process, some of our team building has been a real catalyst for our momentum. Our players were able to establish things that are quite powerful that are unique to us which will go beyond 2017.

MR: You trust people until the trust is broken, yeah?

LB: I give people chances. There’s trust and there’s honesty. You can still make mistakes, we all do, but it’s when they are intentionally going against the greater good, you start to question.

MR: That’s a segue. Did the Michael Talia situation, where there was investigation into passing on of information from brother to brother, did that hurt your trust in a) Michael Talia and b) the AFL?

LB: (Pause) ... I’d rather not go there. I don’t want to drum that part up again.

MR : By your answer, we got the answer anyway.

LB: Yeah. It was a significant learning curve for me. New to my role, new to my ...

MR: Dealings with the AFL?

LB: Yep.

4124c8ffe6505f77310590765a3f6adc

Luke Beveridge barks instructions from the boundary line. Picture: Michael Klein
MR: Are you able to park that because if you don’t it will eat away at you?

LB: Yeah. I understand the landscape. I don’t agree with it sometimes. City Hall is an enormously powerful regulator and I understand that.

MR: Are you a politically curious person?

LB: No. I’d rather attach myself to leaders than political parties and out of great leaders come good policies. But I understand the politics of administration because I’ve worked for government agencies. I’ve seen it right in my face.

89efe76f4c20e2083a55795d727d352a

MR: That the brand is more important that everything?

LB: Yeah, there’s a bit of that. It’s also the power. The hierarchy of an organisation and whether or not there are controls in place in decision-making is always interesting to me. Where do they actually get made? You don’t understand at times the drivers behind certain change.

MR: You’re biting your tongue here aren’t you?

LB: Yeah. There’s too many others things that happened that are not related to what happened at the end of 2015 with us. Look at the rule changes. The third-up change. The only valid reason for change is it’s easier for the umpires to umpire the game. So many of us are still scratching our heads. But we find new ways to evolve.

b23ba9a36bafae70038e2ab6c546e579

Luke Beveridge watches Bob Murphy and Easton Wood lift the premiership cup. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
MR: Tim Watson said you are potentially the greatest coach the game has produced. Did you hear that? How do you respond to that?

LB: Tim Watson said that? He’s put the mozz on me hasn’t he.

MR: You’ve coached for two years.

LB: I like to include my amateur days. It’s 10 years I’ve been coaching.

MR: And how many premierships again?

LB: Three at St Bede’s, one at Collingwood, two at Hawthorn and now one at the Dogs. Seven out of nine years ... 2011, I was with amateur rep teams. As I said, I’ve been fortunate.

GRAND FINAL: BEVERIDGE ON THE 10 MAGICAL MOMENTS

HARDCORE: DOGS FAN GETS CRAZY TRIBUTE TO BEVERIDGE

FATEFUL CALL: THE PHONE CALL THAT MADE BEVO A BULLDOG

MR: Do you know Brendan McCartney very well?

LB: No. But I’ve met Brendan.

MR: Do you like it, agree with it, when it is said McCartney instilled a brand of football which helped the Dogs win the flag. Do you give him any credit?

LB: It’s interesting isn’t it that everyone wants to assign credit ... as long as we don’t dilute the credit Joel Corey and Rohan Smith and Daniel Giansiracusa and all of our other people should get. There’s only 18 players left from 2014, but I think if you ask the players, Brendan would’ve had some positive influence. How you quantify that, I don’t know.

43a2e36f145db2e2de462d26e0b4f0af

Former captain Ryan Griffen and coach Brendan McCartney.
MR: Are you annoyed I asked that question?

LB: Not at all. I have great respect for Brendan, especially his Geelong days. A lot of Geelong players have been quite vocal about his impact on them. But there’s been so much change at our club, but ultimately you can’t be the best team in the competition if you’re not good at contested footy.

MR: Which was a strength of McCartney’s. And his stoppage beliefs.

LB: Were different to mine. The numbers game, very different.

MR : The outnumber?

LB: I’d rather not go into detail but you can safely say our whole stoppage structure changed at the end of 2014. That doesn’t mean your intent around the footy changes and it doesn’t mean at times you don’t put numbers through various mechanisms. But I think one of the critical choices coaches make is how many forwards they want forward of the stoppage and that’s a significant thing we changed with us.

MR: This might be simplistic, but more an offensive system.

LB: It gave us more a chance to score, yes.

MR: You won the flag, you went to America with the family — Dana and the two boys Kye, 18, and Noah, 16. Were you able to shut out footy?

LB: Yes. We went to New York. We were very fortunate to go there the year before, but there just wasn’t enough time to get around the Big Apple. We walked everywhere. The boys love NBA so we saw a bit of basketball, saw the Jets play the Bills on New Year’s Day, saw the Rangers - which is my team - beat the Ottawa Senators on the ice and the Rangers are Bulldogs colours. And we saw a couple of plays on Broadway.

3575daffa785cfe61638ce4e4b648e0f

Luke Beveridge presents Bob Murphy with his Jock McHale Medal. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
MR: Recognised?

LB: It was funny. You’d have your beanie on and you’d get a tap on the shoulder and they say, ‘G’day, go Doggies’. It would’ve happened three or four times, say, walking down Seventh Ave. It was amazing. I loved it. And you’d stop for a chat and most often they weren’t Bulldogs supporters, they just loved the fact the Dogs won.

MR: On to football. What changes? How much does Cloke and Crameri change it up? Bob’s back. What have you changed, if anything?

LB: Initially you do your own SWAT analysis. What are your strengths, where can we improve, where are the opportunities, what are the threats and the opportunities is a big one for us. With the change in personnel, with Stu and Clokey and everyone being a year older.

MR: It might fix up that inside 50 differential.

LB: Who knows. I said a long time ago it will be the last piece of the puzzle. Strangely, in that last month we were able to be more efficient. This year, we see what the opportunities are. We’ve trained a certain way to be able to play the way that we do and we feel we’ve done some good work there. If you ask about our core method or core style, we feel we haven’t taken that to where it can go. And with Bob back, Matty Suckling back in the fold, it gives us options, gives us even more versatility.

MR: How important is versatility?

LB: Critical. We started last year with all those high defenders and at one point we didn’t have JJ, Suckers, Bob, so we had to change what we did. The low tide mark last year was probably that game against Geelong where they beat us down there. We played pretty good footy. Jack Macrae and Tom Liberatore had the responsibility of the main two Cats players and were sensational before they got injured. When we dropped that game, having lost Mitch Wallis and Jack Redpath the week before, and then losing Macrae and Libba that day, and knowing we were playing the Kangaroos the next week with our midfield so depleted and knowing they were going to go after Marcus Bontempelli ... how we stood up for ourselves remained to be seen. That win against the Kangaroos was probably the high tide mark of the year to get us back on track.

#lolnorf

MR: And the rest became history.

fbf333876bf80b840f3ed5c60642dfd8

Jamie Macmillan tries to wrestle Marcus Bontempelli.

THE OUTSIDERS, ROCKY & ME

MR : Favourite movie?

LB: The Outsiders. Have you read the book? Susan Hinton, a 17-year-old wrote that book. Just a great story. It probably relates to the question you asked me about when I was young and confrontation. Just that socio-economic side of it. The Greasers and Socs.

MR : Favourite animated movie?

LB: Toy Story.

MR: Do you believe aliens exist?

LB: Alien life (yes). I don’t know in what form. All you need is water.

MR: Donald Trump?

LB: I’m concerned.

MR: Dinner with five people?

LB: Mark Occhilupo, my favourite surfer as a kid. Nelson Mandela.

MR: I would’ve thought being a leader you’d opt for leaders.

LB: Mine’s more heroes. Ben Roberts-Smith VC, Cathy Freeman ... and my mum.

c8054c0c6a9c5f8596d530ad48c3f58a

Western Bulldogs senior coach Luke Beveridge. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

MR: Scared of dying?

LB: Not scared, but a long, long way from being ready.

MR: Skate-boarding or surfing?

LB: Surfing.

MR: Favourite animal?

LB: Lion.

MR: Smack children, yes or no.

LB: Preferably no.

MR: If you were reborn would do anything different.

LB: I’m happy, but there’s definitely things I would do differently. I wasn’t a great player, but as much as I survived, there are things I could’ve done to be a better player.

MR: If you died tomorrow, what would you regret not doing?

LB: There’s worldly things I want to do. I want to see the world. And I want to be a bit more charitable. In many ways it can be difficult because you’re seen as someone who can help with different causes, but you’re time poor, so you can’t do a lot. I think I’d like to do more.

0:00
/
0:41

external

origin:video_integrator.xjeWF0OTE68bvIvA3qow4OLcvfY0aPDO

Cloke makes a statement
MR: What makes you smile other than your bad jokes?

LB: Lots of things. I’m generally a happy person. Kids make me smile. My family. Mates who I grew up make me smile.

MR: If you had a year to live, what would you do?

LB: Spend as much time as I could with Dana, Kye and Noah. I would stop coaching.

MR: If you won $20 million tonight on Tattslotto, would you stop coaching?

LB: No. Because I’d let too many people down. I love the job and I love the connection I now have with the club that I didn’t have previously. And all the people who follow it and who work in the club. I have too much responsibility to walk away from that.

MR: What scares you?

LB: I’m not big on — and it’s ironic and sad right now — but light aircraft. Just those high-risk situations where you’ve got no control of and which can result in death. Sometimes if I’m sitting on the Westgate and it’s full of cars and trucks and it’s all banked up, I’m paranoid the bridge is going to fall down because of the weight. I’ve got no control over that. I lose faith in the bridge.

MR: Do you drink milk out of the carton?

LB: No.

MR: Happiest childhood memory?

LB: Holidays in Cronulla. Every year we’d stay three weeks and that’s where I first started surfing.

MR: What movie did you last cry watching.

LB: I cry all the time in movies. Just the other night ... it was Balboa, which was Rocky 6 or 7. Don’t you love that monologue in that movie _ “Sometimes it’s not how hard you’re hit, it’s how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.’’ It’s an amazing monologue.

MR: Have you used it?

LB: No, you can’t use it. It’s Rocky’s. And it’s one of the best ever.

Bonus points on slipping in the #lolnorf :D

Personally think people are being too harsh on the interview. I find it interesting to hear a few random facts/views. As others have said it's not like Bevo is going to spill the beans on our strategies now.

Has anyone seen this promo on Channel 7, where the new Friday night team with BT in it, and Bruce is missing.

They're looking for someone to fill in Bruce's seat while he is in traffic, then the Bont appears and calls all some plays from the finals series.

Haven't been able to find it anywhere

Has anyone seen this promo on Channel 7, where the new Friday night team with BT in it, and Bruce is missing.

They're looking for someone to fill in Bruce's seat while he is in traffic, then the Bont appears and calls all some plays from the finals series.

Haven't been able to find it anywhere
This sounds like a dream you had

Travis Cloke can be a matchwinner for Western Bulldogs, says Luke Dahlhaus
LAUREN WOOD, Herald Sun
February 25, 2017 6:49pm
Subscriber only
LUKE Dahlhaus can sympathise with Travis Cloke, who he believes can break games open for the Western Bulldogs this year.

Cloke, 29, booted a goal early in his first game for the reigning premiers last week and followed up with a super goal later in the Dogs’ loss to Melbourne at Whitten Oval.

Dahlhaus said he felt for the former Magpie in his well-documented football journey.

“I didn’t really know him (before he came to the club), but footy can be hard,” he said.

“I’ve gone through it — everyone’s gone through it — where you kind of think, ‘It’s not the game for me’. But it’s just how hard it is, AFL. It’s a tough trade.

“But he’s been super-up and bubbly ever since he’s been at the club and it didn’t change (last week). It was good to see him up and about and out there yapping all day.

9cd7a37363d157c6e3e77555ad45681b

Travis Cloke kicked two goals in his Bulldogs debut. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
“He’s loving it (at the Bulldogs), by the looks of things.”

Cloke shifted to Whitten Oval at the end of last season after declaring he wanted out of Collingwood, where he had played 246 games.

Dahlhaus said there was plenty of good football left in his new teammate.

“With the hands he’s got and the big boot he’s got, you’ve got a player like that, you’re going to break any game open,” he said.

“He’s been a superstar for so long — only had really had one quiet year and that’s what people forget. He’s still a great player.”

Dahlhaus said the Bulldogs “were a little bit rusty” last weekend but their confidence remained buoyant in the wake of their premiership victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back