Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
AFL players take party drugs largely because a) they typically have more money than a typical apprentice or uni student their age and b) it doesn't impact your skinfolds like alcohol does (even if it impacts you in other ways as people are discussing).

Stats show that about 25% of 18-24 year olds have taken party drugs. I'd expect that number to go upward because of the money the players have relative to society, but to also go down, because of the welfare/education/public disapproval as a result. How the two weigh against each other is anyone's guess but anecdotally being that age is the upward forces outweigh the downward ones, and my guess is somewhere between one third and one half of AFL players would have taken some recently.[/QUOTE

Don't use stats and guesswork to conclude your opinion. You sound like a parent who's well and truly got no idea why their child takes recreational drugs. It's not a bad thing but it is cringeworthy.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
AFL players take party drugs largely because a) they typically have more money than a typical apprentice or uni student their age and b) it doesn't impact your skinfolds like alcohol does (even if it impacts you in other ways as people are discussing).

Stats show that about 25% of 18-24 year olds have taken party drugs. I'd expect that number to go upward because of the money the players have relative to society, but to also go down, because of the welfare/education/public disapproval as a result. How the two weigh against each other is anyone's guess but anecdotally being that age is the upward forces outweigh the downward ones, and my guess is somewhere between one third and one half of AFL players would have taken some recently.

Don't use stats and guesswork to conclude your opinion. You sound like a parent who's well and truly got no idea why their child takes recreational drugs. It's not a bad thing but it is cringeworthy.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Caroline Wilson goes WHACK.
Says the Dogs are imploding akin to 1957.

Back under your bridge.
Seemed a fair call by Carro. Gordo churning through the CEOs, losing footy managers, etc is unsettling.

Hell Buckley's got a two year extension because of his footy manager turnover and he's never looked like making the eight in six years.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nah, I've never touched them either. I get randomly drug tested in the ADF, so it's out of the question :eek:
Was in ADF as well so the entire time in there it was a no-no for me but know a few blokes who ran the gauntlet, one who gambled and lost.

Tried weed once in my life and it did nothing for me and I don't see myself ever trying any other drugs. Stuns me that it's so common and the excuses people make for doing it.

It's not really conjecture, it's coming from my personal experiences being someone in that age range, and talking to people who have connections to AFL players and have offered up similar thoughts.

I've never touched recreational drugs myself, but that's largely because the first barrier is cost and that there's no particular reason for me to pay for them. If I were offered them for free, I can't say for 100% that I'd say no. AFL players are earning six figures. The cost isn't an issue for them and they're out and about a lot more in the summer and on weekends than an average person of that age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon I've probably done more drugs (illegal and legal) than everyone on this board except bresker who has me covered easily

Maybe but the drug that has got me into the most trouble has always been dear old alcohol. As drugs go, alcohol is the worst. It's a poison that makes you sick; it removes your inhibitions causing you to make risky choices ; and the drug pushers are on every street corner in the bottle shops and the supermarkets making it hard to give up.

Training and looking after yourself is just as hard on a constant bellyful of beer is just as hard as on 'recreational drugs'

dish licker

All Australian
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
Maybe but the drug that has got me into the most trouble has always been dear old alcohol. As drugs go, alcohol is the worst. It's a poison that makes you sick; it removes your inhibitions causing you to make risky choices ; and the drug pushers are on every street corner in the bottle shops and the supermarkets making it hard to give up.

Training and looking after yourself is just as hard on a constant bellyful of beer is just as hard as on 'recreational drugs'
Could it have been a case of too many Friday games for us this year, plenty of free Saturday nights :)

I never bother to measure out cough syrup into one of those little plastic cups, I take a sip straight from the bottle.

I didn't get a plastic cup with mine and I forgot how much 10ml is. That's like a pint, right?

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Murphy can’t understand Stringer shock
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...g/news-story/9f8b023c598120277479944d80b4879f

Bob Murphy says he can’t understand how Stringer didn’t see Western Bulldogs breakup coming

RETIRED Western Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy says issues between Jake Stringer and the Dogs have been building for two seasons.

Stringer said on Tuesday he left his exit interview after Round 23 confident of his future and was “shocked and upset” when he found out he was being put up for trade.

But Murphy said that didn’t make sense to him after ongoing issues with the hugely talented forward.

“I find that jarring. I can’t quite see how that would possibly be,” he said on SEN.

“I think the inference there is that they pulled their punches in the exit meeting and from what I know of Luke (Beveridge) and the other management team, that doesn’t strike me as accurate.

“A young player who’s been put up for trade there will always be a sense of shock but he would also acknowledge that there’s been frustration for the last couple of years.

“The idea that a player could get to the end of the year and be shocked at where they’re at, that doesn’t (seem right). There’s been a level of frustration for a couple of years and you know after a poor year change can happen

“Having said that I’m still a little bit surprised at how quickly it’s escalated.”

Bob Murphy celebrates a goal with Jake Stringer.
Asked what Stringer had done to lose the faith of the coach, Murphy said there was “a sprinkling of a few things”.

“What I would say is he’s high talent, he’s got huge self belief, but he’s not yet a fanatic for the daily grind.”

Murphy said he hadn’t given up hope Stringer could stay at the kennel but he “couldn’t wear” a suggestion the club’s leaders were to blame for letting the relationship break down.

“If it goes through and Jake ends up being traded elsewhere all of us, particularly the people in positions of leadership this year, will have a sense of disappointing and failure that it hasn’t worked.

“But he’s 22 so I still hold out some hope that it could be patched up, but at the moment it’s very raw.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Murphy can’t understand Stringer shock
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...g/news-story/9f8b023c598120277479944d80b4879f

Bob Murphy says he can’t understand how Stringer didn’t see Western Bulldogs breakup coming

RETIRED Western Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy says issues between Jake Stringer and the Dogs have been building for two seasons.

Stringer said on Tuesday he left his exit interview after Round 23 confident of his future and was “shocked and upset” when he found out he was being put up for trade.

But Murphy said that didn’t make sense to him after ongoing issues with the hugely talented forward.

“I find that jarring. I can’t quite see how that would possibly be,” he said on SEN.

“I think the inference there is that they pulled their punches in the exit meeting and from what I know of Luke (Beveridge) and the other management team, that doesn’t strike me as accurate.

“A young player who’s been put up for trade there will always be a sense of shock but he would also acknowledge that there’s been frustration for the last couple of years.

“The idea that a player could get to the end of the year and be shocked at where they’re at, that doesn’t (seem right). There’s been a level of frustration for a couple of years and you know after a poor year change can happen

“Having said that I’m still a little bit surprised at how quickly it’s escalated.”

Bob Murphy celebrates a goal with Jake Stringer.
Asked what Stringer had done to lose the faith of the coach, Murphy said there was “a sprinkling of a few things”.

“What I would say is he’s high talent, he’s got huge self belief, but he’s not yet a fanatic for the daily grind.”

Murphy said he hadn’t given up hope Stringer could stay at the kennel but he “couldn’t wear” a suggestion the club’s leaders were to blame for letting the relationship break down.

“If it goes through and Jake ends up being traded elsewhere all of us, particularly the people in positions of leadership this year, will have a sense of disappointing and failure that it hasn’t worked.

“But he’s 22 so I still hold out some hope that it could be patched up, but at the moment it’s very raw.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Translation:

Stringer is a highly talented, lazy campaigner who thinks his s**t doesn't stink and has his head stuck up his own arse so far that he doesn't get reality.

Having said that if Jake removes said head from said arse and wants to work then he'd probably be welcome back with open arms.

Dec 2, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Translation:

Stringer is a highly talented, lazy campaigner who thinks his s**t doesn't stink and has his head stuck up his own arse so far that he doesn't get reality.

Having said that if Jake removes said head from said arse and wants to work then he'd probably be welcome back with open arms.

Pretty much sums it up

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-09-20/ceo-message-to-members-and-fans

Strong message from the CEO in response to all of the recent media babble, and a particularly nice shot at Barrett/Caro types:

Despite all this, this week, a football talk show tweeted that we as a club “have more issues than ever”. The same program made the claim that the ‘problem’ lies in the fact that our President is ‘an autocrat.’ When I joined the board in 2012, the Club had a total accrued debt of over $12 million, one of the largest debts in the competition. It had a multi-million dollar liability risk hanging over its head due to the failing Edgewater development. It was struggling to break even from year to year, had membership of 30,000, had finished 15th on the AFL ladder and had not won a premiership in 59 years. It had no VFL team and no women’s team. The idea that in September 2017, we ‘have more issues than ever’ suggests we are worse off as a club now compared to then. It is a ridiculous and totally indefensible claim being made by journalists who claim expertise and experience in the AFL industry and who should know better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back