Not open for further replies.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
I agree about the Cordy criticism but apart from thought thought it was a good article. My view on Cordy is that he is best 22 and probably our best KPD but i thought he would have improved more over the last two years. He still loses some 1 on 1 contests that I don't think he should. Maybe that is what Buckenara was meaning?????

Don't agree , as competitive as they come.
Put me down as a huge fan.

Although I think Buckenara's list assessment is pretty well spot on except for the Cordy howler at the end, I also thought the same (as you probably did) of his 2017 assessment.

Fool me once and all that...

Once more into the breech.

Gary Buckenara analyses Western Bulldogs list after the 2017 season
GARY BUCKENARA, Herald Sun
October 6, 2017 2:49pm

THE Bulldogs would be bitterly disappointed to not make finals after the fairytale premiership last year but the club shouldn’t make any rash decisions.

Great expectations come with winning a premiership and what the Bulldogs have learnt this year is just how much hard work it takes to stay at the top, which is often underestimated externally especially when talking about a young team like this one.

There is no such thing as an easy game in the AFL anymore and that has never been truer than in season 2017, one of the tightest in the game’s history. The Bulldogs players likely just struggled going from the hunter to the hunted and backing up every week when you know your opposition is going to throw everything at you — their work ethic goes up at least five per cent — because they want to knock off the premiers.

As individuals, the young group would no doubt be questioning whether they may have been just a bit satisfied with what they achieved last year. Did they actually train and prepare and were they as professional as what they were a year or two ago?

webRNS-God-Sistine-042518.jpg

Marcus Bontempelli leads the way and won the Bulldogs best and fairest but he didn’t reach the same heights as his form in 2016. Picture: Michael Klein

There is no doubt players like Tom Liberatore, Jake Stringer, Luke Dahlhaus, Clay Smith, Jordan Roughead and even Marcus Bontempelli, despite winning the best and fairest, didn’t reach the same level of performance they did in 2016.

But that doesn’t mean these guys are bad players or that last year was just a flash in the pan.

I expect the Western Bulldogs to bounce back and bounce back really hard in season 2018 and be a top-four side and premiership contender.

Luke Beveridge said the club and Stringer reached a mutual decision to part ways but I wouldn’t be rushing out to do a deal despite the forward being set to nominate Essendon as his preferred new home.

There are obviously personal issues that have been written and spoken about and it seems Stringer is all but gone but I would urge the Bulldogs not to make any rash decisions based on one sub-par year and off-field dramas. There is no club out there that knows Jake Stringer as well as the Bulldogs.

And that goes for Tom Liberatore as well.

GUEST_c58aff39-9071-4f1b-a270-5d00f41a0db4

Players of the quality of Jake Stringer are hard to find and that’s why the Dogs must be compensated appropriately despite his off-field issues. Picture: Michael Klein

Stringer is an All-Australian, a premiership player and he has so much talent and x-factor it’s worth trying to work with him to get him back to that form we saw in 2015. It’s hard to find players like Jake Stringer.

The Bulldogs need to get the forward structure right with Jack Redpath, Tom Boyd, Travis Cloke, Tory Dickson and Stewart Crameri so it can release Stringer to play further up the ground as that midfield wildcard who can burst out of packs and use his explosiveness. That is the role he should be and needs to be playing. That’s when he’s at his most dangerous.

Having said that, if Essendon offered a top 10 pick — they currently hold No.11 — then I would consider doing the deal. Or a 2018 first-round pick given the strength of next year’s draft pool. Anything less than that then I’d be saying ‘OK Jake, we’re going to keep you and now it’s on you to get yourself right.’

While some might think that is overs for a guy who is coming off a disappointing season and has some off-field concerns, the facts remain that Stringer was a pick No.5 back in 2012, is still just 23 years of age and he is already an All-Australian and premiership player.

40723_Rev2.jpg

A second-round pick isn’t enough for Essendon to secure Jake Stringer. Picture: Michael Klein

To get a second-round draft pick in return for your investment just isn’t enough despite the off-field issues. Can the Dogs really replace Stringer with a player it gets in the second round? Not in this draft.

Liberatore spent time in the VFL this year and was under pressure for his performances basically for the entire season but what people don’t realise is he was doing roles for the side late in the second. He was playing shutdown roles on the opposition’s playmakers in the last month or so.

So while he might have only been getting 14 or 15 disposals, down from 30-odd last year, that’s because his role wasn’t to be a ball winner it was to stop his direct opponent from getting it. You’re not going to get big numbers when you’re doing that role.

I don’t think the Bulldogs would be entirely unhappy with him. Yes, at times his body language wasn’t great because maybe he would have preferred to have been playing a different role but he did the job and he did it for the team. That would be acknowledged by Beveridge, the coaches and his teammates.

This year will no doubt have provided the players with a huge learning experience, going from that euphoria of a premiership to the disappointment of missing finals will ground a lot of those players. They will be better for it and they should come back hungry to achieve that ultimate success again.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2FNetwork%2FHome%2FStreams%2F2016%2F09%2F27%2F15%2F32%2FTomLiberatore_2709a_1000.jpg

Tom Liberatore spent time in the VFL this year after battling for form. Picture: Michael Klein

There are a lot of talented players on the list who are still in the infancy of their careers. We saw the development of Bailey Dale who turned into a good player, Caleb Daniel didn’t have a great year but he’s a real professional and I think he’ll bounce back, Toby McLean is turning into a good player, Josh Dunkley missed a lot of the year with injury, Marcus Adams was a mature-age pick-up but has had two injury-riddled seasons and Lewis Young showed good signs late.

Add them to Lin Jong coming back from injury, another pre-season into Mitch Wallis after his serious leg injury, Jack Redpath back fit after his knee reconstruction, Roughead hopefully having a clear run at it, Tom Boyd back from his personal issues and a fit Tory Dickson after his injury problems.

Then consider Bontempelli, Dahlhaus, Stringer (if he’s there), Liberatore, Easton Wood, Jack Macrae, Lachie Hunter, Matt Suckling and Jason Johannisen — that is a talented team with plenty of depth.

This isn’t going to be a team on the slide.

5c76270b70bf6e64383f2a93ad53fda0

Jackson Trengove would be a huge get for the Bulldogs. Picture: Roger Wyman

WHAT THEY NEED

The Dogs confirmed on Friday it has made an offer for Port Adelaide free agent Jackson Trengove and that is a huge get for them. He must play as a key defender. If he does, and then if the Bulldogs can also nab an experienced ruckman then those are really the missing pieces of the puzzle. That helps their structure enormously.

The Bulldogs desperately need to shore up their defence and help veteran Dale Morris and Trengove fits the bill because I believe playing down back is his best position so I hope that’s the role they have in mind.

Zaine Cordy and Fletcher Roberts aren’t really No.1 defenders, they’re more second or third talls and Kieran Collins is still developing so that is definitely an area requiring attention.

So getting that bigger body down there is crucial.

Beveridge’s team was probably the most affected by the third-man up rule and I think it’s time the club invested in a genuine ruckman. Tim English will develop but he’s not ready yet so an experienced ruckman is on the shopping list, which would allow Jordan Roughead to be released into a key defensive role, which I think he’s best suited. If the Bulldogs could get a Todd Goldstein or Stefan Martin or even Matthew Lobbe from Port Adelaide that would be ideal.

9b0c7071bfca947e0571e5ae4ff31a32

Stewart Crameri is under the pump next year if he stays at the Kennel. Picture: Michael Klein

UNDER THE PUMP

Stewart Crameri, Clay Smith, Mitch Honeychurch and Kieran Collins are all under the pump but for different reasons.

Crameri had an injury-interrupted year coming off the 12-month suspension for his role in the Essendon supplements saga and if he stays at the Bulldogs he will need to put in a big pre-season, get his body right and get back to his best. If he can’t, then at 29 years of age, turning 30 next year, his place becomes vulnerable. He’s in a race against time to reproduce his best footy, which is really important given the struggled the Bulldogs had up forward this year.

Did Smith enjoy the premiership a bit too much last year? Obviously he’s had a history of serious knee injuries and had to endure some personal tragedy but he really didn’t produce what we expect of him. He’ll need to put in a big pre-season of training and games to make sure he’s back in that side for Round 1.

52a9dd00d11307ff403f2efc8d59db7e

Clay Smith was one of a number of Bulldogs to struggling this year. Picture: Getty

Honeychurch played a few games this year but still failed to cement his spot in the side despite plenty of opportunities, given the team’s struggles this year, that presented. He might look for another club.

Collins is a young key defender who I rated really highly in the 2015 draft but has had some injury concerns and will need to show something next year. The Bulldogs are crying out for a big full back and he’s exactly that but despite Cordy and Roberts failing to lock down that spot, he didn’t get a look in. Kieran is Brian Lake reincarnate and I expected more from him because he’s already got a big, strong body and I thought he’d make an impact straight away.

BUCKY’S LIST CHANGES

Bob Murphy and Matthew Boyd have retired, while Declan Hamilton, Josh Prudden and Tristan Tweedie have been delisted and I wouldn’t be making any other changes outside of trade ins or outs (depending on requests and list spots) given that is four changes already from in the primary list. This is a young list and the Bulldogs are still finding out which players can or can’t make it at the level.

5bf6ad235574d7796450a60561e9f87e

The Bulldogs’ premiership window is still open according to Gary Buckenara. Picture: Getty

CYRSTAL BALL

I hope the Bulldogs players sat down and watched the finals series and the Grand Final in particular so all those emotions of what it was like to run on the MCG in the final game of the year came flooding back. That provides hunger and will drive this group through pre-season and I expect the Bulldogs to be challenging for top four and for the premiership next year.

The premiership window is wide open.

Gary Buckenara helped build Hawthorn’s three-peat premiership list and now he runs a rule over club lists in an exclusive column for the Herald Sun.

Buckenara was a major part of Hawthorn’s recruiting team between 2004-2015 and was responsible for bringing Lance Franklin, Jarryd Roughead and Jordan Lewis to the Hawks in 2004 when he was the Hawks’ sole full-time recruiter.

* May have had some minor edits.

Rhylee West hopes to head West

By Peter Ryan

27 October 2018 — 10:43am

The Western Bulldogs were never left in any doubt that Rhylee West, the son of 325-game Bulldogs' champion Scott West, wanted to join them in this year's draft.
He had grown up running in and out of the rooms in the seven full seasons his dad played with the club after he was born in 2000.

In 2006 he travelled to Perth to run through the banner with his dad as the veteran chalked up his 300th game in a semi-final at Subiaco.
And at the beginning of this season he trained with the club under West's former teammate Luke Beveridge as part of the AFL Academy program.
The only question that remained to be answered was whether the Bulldogs would nominate him ahead of the draft so they could claim him if an opposition club made a bid for him during the national draft.

From the moment West picked up 25 disposals, kicked a goal, laid nine tackles and had 10 clearances in the opening game of the under-18 national championships when Vic Metro played Western Australia that seemed a formality.
Now that the Bulldogs have officially lobbed the father-son nomination with the AFL all that needs to play out is the national draft where the son of the seven-time best-and-fairest winner is expected to attract a bid at some point between the Bulldogs' first pick at seven and second pick at 27.
The Bulldogs will then have enough points to obtain West in the draft.
At the AFL Combine where he showed his agility was elite, West told the Sunday Age being associated with his dad did not concern him as the family had football in perspective.
"Obviously there is pressure of having the last name attached to me but I try not to think about it too much," West said.

"I just do my best and whether that's as good as him, better than him, not as good as him, it doesn't really bother me as long as I do my best and he is proud."
His dad coached him as a youngster but his advice is more fatherly than professional, telling his son he just has to play his role to be valuable.
"His advice is to play consistent footy and that you don't have to be best on ground every week," West said.
Scott West had a happy knack of being best on ground when he played, earning three Brownlow votes in his fourth game with his six-goal, 20 disposal performance at Whitten Oval winning rave reviews at the time
He earned three Brownlow votes in 29 other games, including his third-last game in 2008, finishing second twice, third once and fourth twice in the coveted award.
Rhylee is an inside midfielder too who can push forward and his love of the Bulldogs is strong.
He sat with his dad and Tony Liberatore (Tom's dad) as they watched the Bulldogs win the 2016 premiership over Sydney, feeling the emotion and observing how rapt his dad was with the result.
But this is Rhylee's time now and he can't wait to see where he ends up in the draft with the Bulldogs at least having an inside running now.
Whatever happens, if he makes his way on to the AFL list he will be happy and he is determined to enjoy things along the way although he admits he plays his best football when focused.

"If I make a mistake I don't beat myself up too much. I just have to keep going and keep trying my hardest," West said.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NoName

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Schache aims to be a forward beast
by GUS MCCUBBING

http://www.seymourtelegraph.com.au/2018/10/30/299373/schache-aims-to-be-a-forward-beast

At 199cm, it’s hard to think Josh Schache would fit into any sort of medium-sized clothing.

But believe or not, the 21-year-old Seymour product played out the 2018 AFL season in a medium-sized Western Bulldogs jersey.

And sitting in the dug-out at Kings Park, admiring the spring weather and freshly cut grass, Schache said he is doing everything he can while at home with his family on break to change that.
He wants to transform himself into a forward beast, a frontline wrecking machine to be feared by opposition defenders — and now having just clicked above 100kg, he’s in the same weight division as Ben Brown, Tom Lynch, Jesse Hogan and Tom Hawkins.

‘‘Hopefully I’ll be big enough soon to crash packs — that’s the aim,’’ he said.
‘‘I’ve spent three years in the system, so it’s getting to the stage where that’s expected of me.’’

27m
RNIN-logo.png

In A League of Their Own - Part 1

Follows the fortunes of the first all-Aboriginal Australian Rules football team to enter a mainstream AFL-affiliated competition.

With a gruelling training schedule that involves hitting the local pool four times a week, along with gym and running work (and the occasional kick in the park with his mates) the only difficulty for Schache, now eating six times a day, is finding enough food in the pantry.

‘‘I’m still only 21 and it takes a few years, but like everyone else I just want it now,’’ he said.

‘‘I want to speed up that process to play my role and influence games as soon as possible.’’

2m 2s
BMBG-logo.png

Optus Hands Back World Cup Games

There's relief in store for long suffering World Cup fans in Australia, who've had trouble watching games broadcast online by Optus.

But while this arms race is happening, Schache is desperate to maintain his running ability.

With a 14.1 beep test recorded in his draft year, Schache’s athleticism helped him feast on 34 goals in seven games at TAC Cup level and get taken by Brisbane with the number two pick in 2015.

It’s a fine balance between size and mobility he needs to manage with the club’s conditioning team, especially since power forwards traditionally take longer than the average player to fully develop.

In the meantime, Schache said Bulldogs’ forward line coach, 2006 West Coast premiership player Ash Hansen has done wonders for his craft in terms of where he needs to be and when.

‘‘Some forwards nearly run the most on the ground and these days Luke Beveridge is really big on the fact it doesn’t matter where you’re playing, if they need me down at full back, I’ve got to slide down and help out the defence,’’ he said.

‘‘So you’re pretty much playing all over the field.’’

Schache booted 17 goals in 13 games this season, a clear improvement on his tally of nine goals from 10 games in 2017.

But his well-documented move from the sunshine state, which was only finalised with 30 seconds remaining in the 2017 trade period, has also improved his head space.

Now under 90 minutes away from his mum, step-dad and sister in Seymour and other relatives in Torquay, he can take a short break from the grinding AFL world whenever he likes.

Schache visits his family most weekends during the season and enjoys catching a glimpse of his mates playing for the Seymour Lions — and was adamant Jason Cole was stiff not to win the Morrison Medal.

Ultimately, while he said the Brisbane Lions did everything they could to help adjust to living in Queensland, Schache just needed his normal life outside of football.

‘‘Growing up, I’ve been really close to my Mum and my sister since my Dad passed away when I was five,’’ he said, back before he was drafted.

‘‘We moved states when I was about eight or nine, and we’ve created a great environment around home in Seymour.

‘‘Living away from home was tough, because outside the footy club I didn’t really have anyone I could go to.’’

Another problem he had while playing for Brisbane was coping with the intense scrutiny he received via social media, which included complete strangers texting him and messaging him online to give the young man a piece of their mind.

Moving to Melbourne obviously means attention from the press — The Telegraph can vouch for Schache’s easygoing willingness to speak with journalists.

But time with the Western Bulldogs’ psychologist, Lisa Stevens, has helped a rapidly maturing Schache block out the white noise.

And, more importantly, Schache has also started some ‘‘extra-curricular’’ activities, taking part in a building apprenticeship once a week in Williamstown with an eye to the future.

‘‘The club is really strong on having something else going on away from football,’’ he said.

‘‘It’s great to just get away and do something else that will set us up after footy.’’

Another key change, Schache reflected, involved something far simpler.

Winning.

Schache played in just four wins during his 27-game stint with Brisbane.

And while the Western Bulldogs hardly set the AFL world on fire in 2018, recording eight wins and 14 losses, they finished the year on a positive note, winning three on the trot before going down to the reigning premier by a kick in the last round.

‘‘We had nothing to lose against Richmond and everyone was pumped before the game,’’ Schache said.

‘‘We were all pretty devastated after the game, knowing it was there to win, but I think it really showed we could take it up to anyone.’’

Schache fondly remembers kicking his first goal for the Bulldogs in round 10 against Collingwood, also his first game for the new club, after he opportunistically snapped up an Ed Richards’ miskick into the forward line.

But for him the highlight of the season was when the Bulldogs knocked off Geelong by two points on a Friday night in round 15 — his first win with the new club, which included two goals.

‘‘Getting that winning feeling was so good,’’ he said.

‘‘It was something I really wanted to change, because I wanted to be remembered as a player having wins under my belt, and being a part of a successful team.’’

The Western Bulldogs lost a chunk of experienced talent at the season’s end, with Luke Dahlhaus (Geelong), Jordan Roughead (Collingwood) and Marcus Adams (Brisbane) traded out, while Jack Redpath, Clay Smith and Shane Biggs retired.

This means seven players from the Dogs 2016 premiership side have already moved on.
But Schache can’t wait to find his place in something new.

‘‘I think there’s still a fair way for me to go, having only been there for a year,’’ he said.

‘‘Respect takes a while to earn, but this pre-season is a good chance for me to show I’ve done good work over the off-season. And I’ve made some good friends there, so I’m just excited for what next year brings.

‘‘Playing for the Dogs still feels really special.’’

Thunderoad

Senior List
Jun 21, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

At 199cm, it’s hard to think Josh Schache would fit into any sort of medium-sized clothing.

But believe or not, the 21-year-old Seymour product played out the 2018 AFL season in a medium-sized Western Bulldogs jersey.

And sitting in the dug-out at Kings Park, admiring the spring weather and freshly cut grass, Schache said he is doing everything he can while at home with his family on break to change that.
He wants to transform himself into a forward beast, a frontline wrecking machine to be feared by opposition defenders — and now having just clicked above 100kg, he’s in the same weight division as Ben Brown, Tom Lynch, Jesse Hogan and Tom Hawkins.....

http://www.seymourtelegraph.com.au/2018/10/30/299373/schache-aims-to-be-a-forward-beast

He wants to transform himself into a forward beast, a frontline wrecking machine to be feared by opposition defenders — and now having just clicked above 100kg, he’s in the same weight division as Ben Brown, Tom Lynch, Jesse Hogan and Tom Hawkins.....

For comparison he was listed at 94kg in 2018.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Gary Buckenara analyses Western Bulldogs’ list after the 2018 season

THE Bulldogs have been crippled by injuries over the last two years and despite missing the finals, this list is capable of playing and winning finals next year.

Looking at the group of players who missed large chunks of the season – Easton Wood, Liam Picken, Tom Liberatore, Dale Morris, Matt Suckling, Tom Boyd, Tory Dickson, Bailey Dale, Marcus Adams (although he’s now left) and Lin Jong – they’re all good AFL players who add much-needed experience and structure.

Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae and Hayden Crozier also missed several weeks, which placed further strain on the already very young group.

GARY BUCKENARA: EVERY CLUB’S TRADE PERIOD RATED

Winning the flag in 2016 was a fantastic achievement but the concern I had was whether the fanatical brand of football that took this club to the pinnacle was sustainable. It was always going to be hard to back up that form and game style in 2017 and 2018 but the injury toll has made that task even harder.

Put those players back into Luke Beveridge’s team for the majority of the season and I’m confident the Bulldogs will rise up the ladder next year and again be a finals threat. I’m bullish about what this club and this list can produce and achieve.

326f34510b775e38f67058ae159fd222

Easton Wood and other players who missed chunks of the season bring valuable experience
What the injuries toll has done, however, is exposed some young players to senior level earlier than expected with some surprising – and exciting - results.

Aaron Naughton was a revelation as a key defender (and at times key forward) and has all the hallmarks of a 200-game player, Ed Richards was outstanding both across halfback and half forward and will only get better and Josh Schache is finally showing signs at AFL level of the talent that earned him the reputation as one of the hottest key position players in his draft year. You don’t get taken with No.2 in the draft for nothing.

It also provided Toby McLean and Josh Dunkley the opportunity to spend more time in the midfield and thrived, with both players enjoying the best seasons of their young careers. Their development in these roles, and the fact they took on greater responsibility, will hold the club in good stead next year and into the future.

The reason I’m bullish about this list is that talent and ability doesn’t disappear overnight. It’s the constant grind and adversity that arises during a long and arduous season that challenges players and their will to compete.

There is some serious talent on this list – Bontempelli, Macrae, Wood, Jason Johannisen, Lachie Hunter, Liberatore, Picken and Morris are all very good players, while Caleb Daniel, Mitch Wallis, Tory Dickson, Tom Boyd, Hayden Crozier, Jackson Trengove and Suckling are all experienced players who have the ability, and have proven before, to be very good contributors.

4164cf3f7947e5cfbfb7b1c2dffb3e5d

Injury absences added unecessary pressure to the Dogs in 2018
Then there are the emerging players led by Naughton, Richards, Dunkley and McLean but they’ve only just scratched the surface of what they can produce. Dale has also shown very good signs but has been hampered by injuries and Tim English should develop, in time, to be a very good AFL ruckman.

The question for the Bulldogs is: How much do they want to commit to be successful again?

The answer to that question has already started with premiership players Luke Dahlhaus and Jordan Roughead departing. Clearly both needed a change of scenery to recapture their best and you get the feeling the decision was mutual.

The Bulldogs had a relatively quiet trade period despite their departure given they wanted Chad Wingard but were beaten by Hawthorn, but did complete some minor deals.

Former Tiger Sam Lloyd and former Hawk Taylor Duryea should be best 22 players next year and didn’t come at a high price, which is a good result. Dahlhaus will be a loss but he hasn’t produced anywhere near his best footy since the 2016 Grand Final.

Marcus Adams’ move to Brisbane wasn’t a high-profile trade but I think he leaves a big hole. I really rate him as a key defender. The Bulldogs will probably need to bolster their defensive stocks at the draft now.

The list is weaker as a result of this year’s trade and free agency period but at least they’ll go to the draft with a strong hand, with three picks in the top 32.

8745e0ea6527a9fb08a6d7117411b8a4

The big question for the Dogs is how much do they believe they can be successful again
WESTERN BULLDOGS’ LIST NEEDS

The Bulldogs have a young and well-balanced list but should look to inject some class into the midfield and forward lines. The retirement of Jack Redpath means Schache and Tom Boyd are the only two true key position forwards on the list (although Boyd has been used more as a ruckman), so that should be an area to target during the national and rookie drafts, be it for a developing player or looking to bring in a bigger body via the state leagues.

Conversion in front of goal was an ongoing problem this year, so working on goalkicking will be a priority over the summer. Recruiting players who have good goal sense and are elite kicks will also help in this area.

GARY BUCKENARA THE TOP 30 DRAFT PROSPECTS FOR 2018

PLAYERS WHO NEED TO STEP UP IN 2019

After two years out of the finals since winning the premiership in 2016, it’s time for every player on the list to step up next year because this list has more talent that its eight-win season suggests.

Every player must commit to being the best AFL player they can be, train hard to get their bodies ready for the rigours of a tough season (and thus hopefully avoid injury) and find that hunger and commitment to play as a team and for each other.

It will be a big season for Tom Liberatore as he returns from his second knee reconstruction, while Matt Suckling struggled at times with his ball use this year – his biggest strength – and will need to become a real leader as one of the most experienced players at the club at 30 years of age.

What does the future hold for Zaine Cordy and Fletcher Roberts? Both have struggled for consistency since being part of the drought-breaking premiership and haven’t rediscovered that form. It’s now or never for both those players to either step up or have their future and positions questioned.

CRYSTAL BALL

There is enough quality and star power on this list that should see this group climb back into contention not only to play finals but to possibly win more silverware – but it’s dependant on whether the group can recapture the fanatical desire to compete that made it a successful team.
This is a pretty balanced assessment of what to expect. We will be pretty good next year.

Spectre

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2008
Clayton Meth Labs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For comparison he was listed at 94kg in 2018.
That's a fairly significant change. I know they mention it in the article, but I do hope they don't stuff his tank up with all that extra weight. Would prefer Schache the elite runner who struggles to impact contests to Schache who is only average at both - who knows though, might make him elite at both, too!

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees

What! A happy Bulldog Player!!! Lies I tell you, all Lies!!!

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Western Bulldogs close to deal to lock away Marcus Bontempelli
Herald Sun November 2, 2018 11:18am Subscriber only

THE Western Bulldogs are set to avoid a war for Marcus Bontempelli’s signature by locking away the young superstar on a new deal before Christmas.

The Dogs have been in talks for several weeks with Bontempelli’s management and a contract could be finalised soon in what would be a huge boost for the 2017 premier.

The Herald Sun’s Jay Clark wrote earlier this year that the Dogs had to move heaven and earth to re-sign Bontempelli before his contract expires at the end of next season — and every club in the competition makes him an offer.

“Those conversations have been ongoing between (Bulldogs list boss) Sam Power and Marcus’s manager Tom Petroro for a number of weeks,” Dogs CEO Ameet Bains told SEN on Friday.

“I think we are getting very close to getting something done.

“Marcus is an incredibly important player for the footy club, one of the best players in the comp, so it’s critical we get him locked away. We would be hopeful of getting that one done in the coming weeks.

“Regardless of what the final length will be, what Bulldog fans will be the most pleased to hear about is Marcus’s commitment to the footy club and how he talks about the future of the football club, and his role in leading it forward is exemplary.”

Bontempelli’s signature would leave GWS midfield gun Josh Kelly as the No.1 uncontracted target at the end of next season. Jack Billings, Jaeger O’Meara, Jack Watts and Nick Vlastuin will also be out of contract unless new deals are finalised before September.

Stephen Coniglio headlines a long list of 2019 free agents that also includes Todd Goldstein, David Swallow and Shane Edwards.

Bains said a new deal for Charles Sutton medallist Lachie Hunter is also in the works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Western Bulldogs close to deal to lock away Marcus Bontempelli
Herald Sun November 2, 2018 11:18am Subscriber only

THE Western Bulldogs are set to avoid a war for Marcus Bontempelli’s signature by locking away the young superstar on a new deal before Christmas.

The Dogs have been in talks for several weeks with Bontempelli’s management and a contract could be finalised soon in what would be a huge boost for the 2017 premier.

The Herald Sun’s Jay Clark wrote earlier this year that the Dogs had to move heaven and earth to re-sign Bontempelli before his contract expires at the end of next season — and every club in the competition makes him an offer.

“Those conversations have been ongoing between (Bulldogs list boss) Sam Power and Marcus’s manager Tom Petroro for a number of weeks,” Dogs CEO Ameet Bains told SEN on Friday.

“I think we are getting very close to getting something done.

“Marcus is an incredibly important player for the footy club, one of the best players in the comp, so it’s critical we get him locked away. We would be hopeful of getting that one done in the coming weeks.

“Regardless of what the final length will be, what Bulldog fans will be the most pleased to hear about is Marcus’s commitment to the footy club and how he talks about the future of the football club, and his role in leading it forward is exemplary.”

Bontempelli’s signature would leave GWS midfield gun Josh Kelly as the No.1 uncontracted target at the end of next season. Jack Billings, Jaeger O’Meara, Jack Watts and Nick Vlastuin will also be out of contract unless new deals are finalised before September.

Stephen Coniglio headlines a long list of 2019 free agents that also includes Todd Goldstein, David Swallow and Shane Edwards.

Bains said a new deal for Charles Sutton medallist Lachie Hunter is also in the works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Didn't realise we went back to back!

Exciting Bulldog fractures wrist in car accident
Michael Whiting
Nov 2, 2018 8:05PM

603297-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Billy Gowers led the Bulldogs' goalkicking in his first season in 2018
Related
WESTERN Bulldogs young gun Billy Gowers has fractured his wrist in a car accident on Thursday.

The Bulldogs confirmed the news on Friday night, saying the 22-year-old would be sidelined "for a short period of time" while he recovered.

Gowers was at the club earlier in the day.

NAB AFL DRAFT HUB Latest news, video and more

There were no other serious injuries sustained by occupants of the two vehicles involved.

The club said Gowers' preparation for next season would not be impacted significantly.

The clever forward is fresh off a terrific debut season in which he kicked 26 goals to lead the Bulldogs' goalkicking.

He was on Carlton's rookie list for two years before being delisted and headed to Footscray's VFL side.

Gowers was rewarded for his 2018 by signing a two-year contract extension in September.
Exciting Bulldog fractures wrist in car accident

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
IF Rhylee West gets to the Western Bulldogs as expected, the father-son prospect believes he can fill the pressure forward role left vacant by Luke Dahlhaus' departure to Geelong.

As revealed by AFL.com.au, the son of seven-time best and fairest and five-time All Australian Scott West has been nominated by Bulldogs, and they will match a rival club's bid expected somewhere late in the first round of November's NAB AFL Draft.

After trading away this year's second-round selection for Josh Schache in the 2017 Trade Period, coincidently it's the pick the Dogs received as compensation for losing free agent Dahlhaus - currently pick No.28 overall - that West is likely to cost on draft night.

A standout inside midfielder with the Calder Cannons and Vic Metro this season, West told AFL.com.au he feels ready to test himself at the highest level.

PHANTOM FORM GUIDE Cal Twomey's latest update

"Most draftees don't play in their preferred position straight away, so definitely playing as that pressure forward is a role I could definitely play early days," West said.

"I like to think I'm ready to play senior footy because I've got a bit of size on me and I can put that up against the bigger bodies.

"The pre-season will also help my endurance and put a bit more meat on me, so I should be raring to go.

"The great midfielders like (Patrick) Dangerfield and (Dustin) Martin both push forward because you can't play one position these days."

BEST OF THE BEST Combine's standout performers

While he has the physical attributes to help make the transition from junior football to the AFL, West is well aware he needs to improve his kicking if he wants to play regular senior football at a club that doesn't have an overabundance of players who are a reliable kick.

The 17-year-old finished the TAC Cup season with a disposal efficiency of just 56 per cent, but in an encouraging sign his effectiveness increased with the lift in standard at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, finishing the carnival as an All Australian that averaged 22 disposals at 69 per cent efficiency.

INDICATIVE DRAFT ORDER Your club's latest picks

The apple hasn't fallen too far from the tree, with West inheriting his dad's creative hands and vision, but the pair have been fine-tuning his ability to hit the target by foot.

While his kicking is a work in progress, fatherly advice regularly hits the mark.

WHO'S LEAVING YOUR CLUB? All the latest retirements and delistings

"Everyone has a knock on them and kicking is the one I've got, but I've been working really hard on it with Dad and at training, so I've given myself every opportunity to improve it," West said.

"Dad's someone I can bounce any questions off because he watches all the levels of footy I play.

"He's been an assistant at AFL level and coached in the VFL, so he's good at critiquing my games and being that coach at home.

Oct 7, 2007
Stage Left
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
IF Rhylee West gets to the Western Bulldogs as expected, the father-son prospect believes he can fill the pressure forward role left vacant by Luke Dahlhaus' departure to Geelong.

As revealed by AFL.com.au, the son of seven-time best and fairest and five-time All Australian Scott West has been nominated by Bulldogs, and they will match a rival club's bid expected somewhere late in the first round of November's NAB AFL Draft.

After trading away this year's second-round selection for Josh Schache in the 2017 Trade Period, coincidently it's the pick the Dogs received as compensation for losing free agent Dahlhaus - currently pick No.28 overall - that West is likely to cost on draft night.

A standout inside midfielder with the Calder Cannons and Vic Metro this season, West told AFL.com.au he feels ready to test himself at the highest level.

PHANTOM FORM GUIDE Cal Twomey's latest update

"Most draftees don't play in their preferred position straight away, so definitely playing as that pressure forward is a role I could definitely play early days," West said.

"I like to think I'm ready to play senior footy because I've got a bit of size on me and I can put that up against the bigger bodies.

"The pre-season will also help my endurance and put a bit more meat on me, so I should be raring to go.

"The great midfielders like (Patrick) Dangerfield and (Dustin) Martin both push forward because you can't play one position these days."

BEST OF THE BEST Combine's standout performers

While he has the physical attributes to help make the transition from junior football to the AFL, West is well aware he needs to improve his kicking if he wants to play regular senior football at a club that doesn't have an overabundance of players who are a reliable kick.

The 17-year-old finished the TAC Cup season with a disposal efficiency of just 56 per cent, but in an encouraging sign his effectiveness increased with the lift in standard at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, finishing the carnival as an All Australian that averaged 22 disposals at 69 per cent efficiency.

INDICATIVE DRAFT ORDER Your club's latest picks

The apple hasn't fallen too far from the tree, with West inheriting his dad's creative hands and vision, but the pair have been fine-tuning his ability to hit the target by foot.

While his kicking is a work in progress, fatherly advice regularly hits the mark.

WHO'S LEAVING YOUR CLUB? All the latest retirements and delistings

"Everyone has a knock on them and kicking is the one I've got, but I've been working really hard on it with Dad and at training, so I've given myself every opportunity to improve it," West said.

"Dad's someone I can bounce any questions off because he watches all the levels of footy I play.

"He's been an assistant at AFL level and coached in the VFL, so he's good at critiquing my games and being that coach at home.

Very excited about this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back