What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mich Wallis on Future Stars, said he's certain that he wants to stay and also that he can see himself at the Bulldogs for a very long time.

Mich Wallis on Future Stars, said he's certain that he wants to stay and also that he can see himself at the Bulldogs for a very long time.
oh-yeah-gif-2.gif

That’s great news. He seems like a top bloke, loves our club and would train and play with heart and soul always.
Rocket Eade said this morning that his three favourite bulldogs to coach were Moz, Boyd and Crossy. Heart and soul warriors all three.

That’s great news. He seems like a top bloke, loves our club and would train and play with heart and soul always.
Rocket Eade said this morning that his three favourite bulldogs to coach were Moz, Boyd and Crossy. Heart and soul warriors all three.
The issue for Wallis is that the 3 above were all first choice players. Not sure that Wallis is in the same category and likely to be further down the list when Libba and Macrae return and West plus pick 5-9 arrive.

It's going to be a difficult conversation and it's a conversation that is likely to be had with Jongy and possibly even Caleb Daniel. If he's Ok with being depth on an average or less salary then maybe. If I were betting, I'd say that would be the club's position.

If other clubs are willing to pay significantly more than we are, and we lowball him below what he would consider he is worth, then surely he'll be gone. Why would he stay if we don't rate him?

I'd say he is angling for a better deal from us, hence his comments about wanting to stay.

What the club really thinks remains the mystery.

If other clubs are willing to pay significantly more than we are, and we lowball him below what he would consider he is worth, then surely he'll be gone. Why would he stay if we don't rate him?

I'd say he is angling for a better deal from us, hence his comments about wanting to stay.

What the club really thinks remains the mystery.
Surely his demand for salary cant be that heinous. And he has the ability to contribute 20-25 touches and a goal a game.

Odds-on our compensation for him isn't going to provide that output.

Old Dog wants another season at the Kennel

RESPECTED Western Bulldogs veteran Dale Morris is keen to extend his storied AFL career into the 2019 season.

The 35-year-old, who famously played in the 2016 Grand Final win over Sydney with a broken back, played his first game of the season in round 11 after suffering a partial tear to an anterior cruciate ligament in February.

He underwent knee surgery for a different issue following that match and confounded expectations with a swift return in round 14.

Morris has suffered plenty of setbacks since he broke through to make his AFL debut as a 22-year-old in 2005, but his ability to play through pain is legendary.

"I'll keep going for as long as I can ... I love the game too much," Morris told Channel Seven's Game Day.

"I just love playing ... it's the greatest job ever I reckon.

"I'll keep going as long as the body and mind holds up. So far the mind is good. The body has its issues every now and then.

"As long as there's a role I'll be there."

Morris, who will be 36 in December, has played 244 AFL games.

He is a much-respected figure at Whitten Oval, but will likely need to wait until after the season to see if a new contract will be forthcoming.

RESPECTED Western Bulldogs veteran Dale Morris is keen to extend his storied AFL career into the 2019 season.

The 35-year-old, who famously played in the 2016 Grand Final win over Sydney with a broken back, played his first game of the season in round 11 after suffering a partial tear to an anterior cruciate ligament in February.

He underwent knee surgery for a different issue following that match and confounded expectations with a swift return in round 14.

Morris has suffered plenty of setbacks since he broke through to make his AFL debut as a 22-year-old in 2005, but his ability to play through pain is legendary.

"I'll keep going for as long as I can ... I love the game too much," Morris told Channel Seven's Game Day.

"I'll keep going as long as the body and mind holds up. So far the mind is good. The body has its issues every now and then.

He is a much-respected figure at Whitten Oval, but will likely need to wait until after the season to see if a new contract will be forthcoming.
Yes please.

The issue for Wallis is that the 3 above were all first choice players. Not sure that Wallis is in the same category and likely to be further down the list when Libba and Macrae return and West plus pick 5-9 arrive.

It's going to be a difficult conversation and it's a conversation that is likely to be had with Jongy and possibly even Caleb Daniel. If he's Ok with being depth on an average or less salary then maybe. If I were betting, I'd say that would be the club's position.
He maybe behind all those blokes but Libba is Libba and no one knows how long he’s got in the game? How does he train? And there will always be someone injured at any one time. We need more than best 22 on a list.

The rest of the article is on Wallis...

Wallis, meanwhile, has been in and out of the senior side this season, and speculation has been mounting that the tough midfielder – a restricted free agent - will be wearing new colours in 2019.

Wallis, though, says his future lies at the Kennel.

Appearing on the Nine Network's Future Stars program, Wallis said: "I'm certain that I want to stay. We're in constant chats.

"My main priority at the moment is to keep this momentum going, because it has been a bit of a disappointing year; there's been a lot written about that."

Drafted in 2010 as a father-son selection, Wallis missed the Dogs' drought-breaking premiership because of a broken leg.

He made his return to the senior side in the round 9 loss to Geelong last season and played 12 games for the year.

Wallis was overlooked for the first three games of this season, and was dropped after the round nine loss to the Crows.

Wallis added: "I just see my role as really harnessing the group, leading from the front because we have got such a young group; there's so much exciting talent coming through… who knows what we can achieve at the end of this year?

"I can say that I can see myself at the Bulldogs for a very long time.

"I know that I've got a future in the game and I hope it's going to be at the Bulldogs. We're in constant talks; we're going to get it done but we don’t have a timeline on it.

"My focus is on getting this team back playing the way we have the past few weeks."

Wallis had 24 disposals and kicked a goal in the Dogs' upset win over the Cats on Friday night.

He maybe behind all those blokes but Libba is Libba and no one knows how long he’s got in the game? How does he train? And there will always be someone injured at any one time. We need more than best 22 on a list.
Yeah true and if he can live with that (being depth - but also always with the opportunity to improve his position) and live with the terms and compensation level that goes with it no probs.

Yeah true and if he can live with that (being depth - but also always with the opportunity to improve his position) and live with the terms and compensation level that goes with it no probs.

Wallis was gangbusters in 2015 with Libba out. Still recovering from the leg which takes a while. Personally not.ruling.him out.of best 22. Has limitations but.not as bad as quite a few others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wallis was gangbusters in 2015 with Libba out. Still recovering from the leg which takes a while. Personally not.ruling.him out.of best 22. Has limitations but.not as bad as quite a few others.
I don't think he's a bad player. I think he's an average AFL inside mid and that's also his ceiling. I also think we're likely to have a cluster of better than average players in his position come next year and that's his (and possibly our) conundrum.

If, in the unlikely event, we get a good run with injuries next year, and with the players we are likely to have available or want develop, it's conceivable he might not get a game in the seniors all year. He might be OK with that. We might even be OK with that but we might not.

For Carlton (Cripps excepted) and Gold Coast, the idea of having an inside mid of average AFL ability is aspirational. He'd play 22 games of senior footy with either one.

I don't think he's a bad player. I think he's an average AFL inside mid and that's also his ceiling. I also think we're likely to have a cluster of better than average players in his position come next year and that's his (and possibly our) conundrum.

If, in the unlikely event, we get a good run with injuries next year, and with the players we are likely to have available or want develop, it's conceivable he might not get a game in the seniors all year. He might be OK with that. We might even be OK with that but we might not.

For Carlton (Cripps excepted) and Gold Coast, the idea of having an inside mid of average AFL ability is aspirational. He'd play 22 games of senior footy with either one.
Mitch got a regular game in what was arguably the deepest midfield the league has ever seen during 2016.

While the midfield sounds amazing on paper when you add the likes of libba, pick 5 and West, the draftees may take a couple of years to find their feet and others may have form/injury struggles.

If Wallis ends up contributing to our team each week, it's obviously with keeping him. If he ends up being depth, then we'll be a very strong chance of celebrating our third premiership.

It will depend on how far we want to chop the list.

We’ve heard the whole gambit from minimal changes to as many as 12.

If as I’ve heard Sam Power really wants a major over haul Wally and some others may have to go to provide the picks and space to do that.

I hope he stays he is bulldog through and through and deserves a spot before about 20 other blokes

Mitch got a regular game in what was arguably the deepest midfield the league has ever seen during 2016.

While the midfield sounds amazing on paper when you add the likes of libba, pick 5 and West, the draftees may take a couple of years to find their feet and others may have form/injury struggles.

If Wallis ends up contributing to our team each week, it's obviously with keeping him. If he ends up being depth, then we'll be a very strong chance of celebrating our third premiership.
I really don't disagree with much or any of what you say. But I think he either is or is going to be fringe and sweating on injuries to get a game from next year (my opinion not a fact). And he and we might be OK with that and if we are terms the of his contract will probably reflect it. Let's say they come to an agreement. I'd be surprised if more than 2 years was on the table.

It will depend on how far we want to chop the list.

We’ve heard the whole gambit from minimal changes to as many as 12.

If as I’ve heard Sam Power really wants a major over haul Wally and some others may have to go to provide the picks and space to do that.

I hope he stays he is bulldog through and through and deserves a spot before about 20 other blokes
Can't buy Heart and Soul MD I agree, how deep do you think we'll change the list?

Can't buy Heart and Soul MD I agree, how deep do you think we'll change the list?

Jong
Campbell
Roberts
Biggs
Rough are all gone imo

Honey
Dale
Dahl
Picken
Dickson
Webb
Collins
Clay
Young all a chance to move or be moved on

How far they go I have no idea but I’ve heard Power wants a big sweep

Using Hawthorn as a model here (I don't think there is a better model to build a modern list from) - an apt comparison for Wallis is Liam Shiels.

Both similar sort of players with similar numbers. Have had injury challenges and have had to go back to the twos to find form. I personally rate Wallis' best output over Shiels' best output.

Hawthorn haven't shipped Shiels out, and in a number of really big games and situations, he's rewarded them for it. We shouldn't be pushing Wallis out either.

Sam Lands has done a story detailing how. Our frantic final moments of trade period led to getting Schache and Richards. Can't copy though, on phone.

Yes and because we never get any injuries he is unlikely to get much of a look in :D

Sam Lands has done a story detailing how. Our frantic final moments of trade period led to getting Schache and Richards. Can't copy though, on phone.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/66104dea604386f17fb4bb98c44f4a41

IF JAKE Stringer was still a Western Bulldog, Ed Richards would be dazzling as a star of the future elsewhere.

If Richards wasn’t 45 minutes late to a pre-draft interview at Carlton, he might’ve been a Blue.

In last year’s frantic countdown to the 2pm trade deadline, the Bulldogs struck three separate deals as nine draft picks flipped around.

The wash-up for the Dogs was this; in came pick 16 (Richards) and Josh Schache and out went Stringer and two second-round draft selections.

They appear win-win-wins.

The Blues ended up with a selection to satisfy GWS for Matthew Kennedy, Brisbane was well compensated for Schache and Essendon eventually got its man in Stringer.

But in Richards, the Bulldogs appear to have a beauty.

“There’s something special about him,” fellow Red Head Cameron Ling said on Friday night.

Wayne Carey said Richards was “100 per cent” in the conversation to win the Rising Star and teammate Jason Johannisen praised the speed and power he plays with.

On Friday night Richards was the No. 1 ranked player in the final quarter, kicking two clever goals against Geelong and applying a defensive spoil that led to the Dogs’ last major.

Each of Richards’ three goals put the Dogs in front.

“He’s made some big steps in a very short period of time,” coach Luke Beveridge said afterwards.

The Dogs ranked Aaron Naughton at No. 6 in last year’s draft and Richards at No. 7 and they got both — at picks nine and 16 respectively.

For any Bulldog supporter who felt heartache as premiership star Stringer was kicked out, Richards — who has re-signed until 2020 — eases the burn.

The Stringer trade was driven by coach Luke Beveridge and so much of it hinged on nailing pick 16.

Recruiter Simon Dalrymple, who has since joined Sydney, was “concerned” at who would be left.

“I was pessimistic (on Richards) because there were so many suitors between 10 and 15,” Dalrymple said on draft night.

“He was our next ranked player after Aaron.”

Driving from Glen Iris to the Blues to meet coach Brendon Bolton and list boss Stephen Silvagni, Richards was stuck in a traffic jam that helped them settle on Lochie O’Brien at pick 10.

If Richards was gone the Dogs would’ve tossed up Charlie Ballard (Gold Coast, pick 42) or Jack Higgins (Richmond, pick 17).

Right now, there aren’t many players from last year’s draft you would take ahead of Richards.

Similarly to Marcus Bontempelli, the Dogs loved Richards’ scope for improvement as a late developer.

The Carey Grammar boy was shorter than 160cm in under-15s, before growing 30cm in two years and shooting up draft boards.

He has balance, poise and pace and that’s a fair package to receive after losing Stringer.

THE DOGGIES’ TRADE CAROUSEL

The Western Bulldogs final two hours of trade period

IN

Ed Richards, Josh Schache

OUT

Jake Stringer, Pick 28* (2017), Pick 23** (2018)

* Used on Sam Taylor (GWS)

**Based on current ladder position

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/66104dea604386f17fb4bb98c44f4a41

IF JAKE Stringer was still a Western Bulldog, Ed Richards would be dazzling as a star of the future elsewhere.

If Richards wasn’t 45 minutes late to a pre-draft interview at Carlton, he might’ve been a Blue.

In last year’s frantic countdown to the 2pm trade deadline, the Bulldogs struck three separate deals as nine draft picks flipped around.

The wash-up for the Dogs was this; in came pick 16 (Richards) and Josh Schache and out went Stringer and two second-round draft selections.

They appear win-win-wins.

The Blues ended up with a selection to satisfy GWS for Matthew Kennedy, Brisbane was well compensated for Schache and Essendon eventually got its man in Stringer.

But in Richards, the Bulldogs appear to have a beauty.

“There’s something special about him,” fellow Red Head Cameron Ling said on Friday night.

Wayne Carey said Richards was “100 per cent” in the conversation to win the Rising Star and teammate Jason Johannisen praised the speed and power he plays with.

On Friday night Richards was the No. 1 ranked player in the final quarter, kicking two clever goals against Geelong and applying a defensive spoil that led to the Dogs’ last major.

Each of Richards’ three goals put the Dogs in front.

“He’s made some big steps in a very short period of time,” coach Luke Beveridge said afterwards.

The Dogs ranked Aaron Naughton at No. 6 in last year’s draft and Richards at No. 7 and they got both — at picks nine and 16 respectively.

For any Bulldog supporter who felt heartache as premiership star Stringer was kicked out, Richards — who has re-signed until 2020 — eases the burn.

The Stringer trade was driven by coach Luke Beveridge and so much of it hinged on nailing pick 16.

Recruiter Simon Dalrymple, who has since joined Sydney, was “concerned” at who would be left.

“I was pessimistic (on Richards) because there were so many suitors between 10 and 15,” Dalrymple said on draft night.

“He was our next ranked player after Aaron.”

Driving from Glen Iris to the Blues to meet coach Brendon Bolton and list boss Stephen Silvagni, Richards was stuck in a traffic jam that helped them settle on Lochie O’Brien at pick 10.

If Richards was gone the Dogs would’ve tossed up Charlie Ballard (Gold Coast, pick 42) or Jack Higgins (Richmond, pick 17).

Right now, there aren’t many players from last year’s draft you would take ahead of Richards.

Similarly to Marcus Bontempelli, the Dogs loved Richards’ scope for improvement as a late developer.

The Carey Grammar boy was shorter than 160cm in under-15s, before growing 30cm in two years and shooting up draft boards.

He has balance, poise and pace and that’s a fair package to receive after losing Stringer.

THE DOGGIES’ TRADE CAROUSEL

The Western Bulldogs final two hours of trade period

IN

Ed Richards, Josh Schache

OUT

Jake Stringer, Pick 28* (2017), Pick 23** (2018)

* Used on Sam Taylor (GWS)

**Based on current ladder position
Good to remember this. It was crap that things didn't work out with Jake but very happy with Little Red and Shackattack

Ed probably got stuck in traffic on purpose - his Magpie hereditary would never see him play in the traditional enemies colours! A few upstairs orchestrating that maybe.
I'm just shaking in my boots Collingwood will poach him a la Ward in the future.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back