Not open for further replies.

Metal

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2006
Yes
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Western BulldogsVerified account‏@westernbulldogs
Luke Beveridge will be at the @marngrook desk from 7:30 TONIGHT! #marngrook #bemorebulldog
1f4fa.png
1f4fa.png

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So our highest paid player still isnt training because of mental health? I know this is harsh but mate just retire if you can't do it.
What’s the latest story on this stuff?

I don’t like to speculate on his situation because of all the unknowns.

On the one hand, the Dogs offered him a contract none of us would turn down. They also have a duty to look after and support the lad as well as possible.

That said, players do regularly retire with chronic physical injuries. If Boyd can’t fully commit to being the best player he can be then I really think it’s unfair of him to be sitting atop our wage bill.

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Didn’t give me a lot of confidence on Boyd, hope I’m wrong
Thought the same thing. A fair contrast between Jack's feedback on Boyd compared with libba and schache.

2019 could be make or break for Boyd. More pressure on KPF and Ruck spots you'd imagine. Don't see us regularly lining up with all of trengrove, English, schache and Boyd. Sweet might surprise also.

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is it mental health why he’s not training or an injury?
As others have said, his back seemed to be holding up well in Indo over the off-season. Can't think of too many other sports that need more back strength than surfing. So it's strange to me if the back is preventing him from training but he's OK to surf Indo reefs and pull into backhand pits in his spare time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
I dont get why so many people defend him when all he has done since he came to this club is fight with his teammates and refuse to play or even train because its too hard. This from the highest earning player at our club. No wonder there is resentment. Yes he played one good game but he didnt single handedly win us a flag. To say that is to disregard the incredible job our entire team and staff did to get us to the GF.

If your mental health is so bad that it's affecting your ability to train for a third year running then you should retire from the sport and get treatment.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
NOT EVEN contracting a food-related parasite has spoiled former Tiger Sam Lloyd's initiation at the Western Bulldogs.

Lloyd, 28, is about a month into his new football life after officially trading places in the October exchange period in a hunt for greater playing opportunities.

CLUB LISTS COMPARED Oldest? Youngest? Most experienced?

But the 57-gamer's holiday in scenic Machu Picchu, Peru, in the off-season – before he started life as a Bulldog – quickly turned sour.

"I went to Machu Picchu with a mate from home (in Deniliquin, just over the Victorian border in New South Wales)," Lloyd said at the club's family day on Saturday.

"I got pretty crook over there, so I wouldn't rush back, but it was a really good holiday.

"I'd recommend the sightseeing over there for anyone, but just don't eat the raw fish.

"I had a parasite, so I was watching Netflix halfway across the world for about five days, but it's all good now – the doc's fixed me up."

Lloyd's football journey differs to many of his AFL peers and kickstarted when he booted 107 goals for Deniliquin in the Murray Football League in 2010 then won a premiership there a year later.

However, it was his impressive VFL season for Frankston in 2013, after a stint with Mt Eliza and another VFL team, Bendigo, a year earlier, that propelled him onto the AFL stage.

FUTURE PICKS Who you should barrack against in 2019

Richmond selected Lloyd with the 66th pick in that year's NAB AFL Draft, but he was starved of opportunity at Punt Road, other than kicking 35 goals from 22 games in the 2016 season.

The Dogs sent a fourth-round pick – No.64 at the time – to the Tigers in the NAB AFL Trade Period to secure him and he could become an instant senior regular in a forward-midfield role.

WHO'S LEAVING YOUR CLUB? All the latest retirements and delistings

"If the body holds up well, I'll try and get into a few games early and be that avenue to goal or I'll do whatever they say," Lloyd said.

"Being here a couple of weeks, I can already see the talent of the young players … I can really see young blokes like Tim English, who are only 20 or 21 years old, (with) so much upside.

"That was the main drawing card and obviously opportunity to play senior footy is another one."

Lloyd's first few days of pre-season were "a bit weird" adjusting to being "that new kid on the block" again, but he has settled in well and developed a good understanding with coach Luke Beveridge.

Some former opponents-turned-teammates have caught his eye, too.

"Blokes like Lachie Hunter, his running capability, you sort of see it on the ground, but you don't realise how good he is until you see it out on the track and he's flying past you," Lloyd said.

"Jackson Trengove is just a beast and blokes like that have sort of surprised me with the way they go about it.

"Pre-season is the time to shine for runners, so there are a lot of young blokes I've seen who are really impressing with their running."

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pleased to see an AFL player travelling to an overseas destination with some cultural history as opposed to the clichéd jaunts to Vegas, Bali et al.
Machu Picchu was a favourite of Cooney's too. Less for the culture, more for the epic esky lid sliding opportunities.

Machu Picchu was a favourite of Cooney's too. Less for the culture, more for the epic esky lid sliding opportunities.
I think he did that in Hong Kong :D

Easton Wood is very well travelled, he and his gf have been to South America, Mexico, USA. It was Iceland this year iirc.

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I dont get why so many people defend him when all he has done since he came to this club is fight with his teammates and refuse to play or even train because its too hard. This from the highest earning player at our club. No wonder there is resentment. Yes he played one good game but he didnt single handedly win us a flag. To say that is to disregard the incredible job our entire team and staff did to get us to the GF.

If your mental health is so bad that it's affecting your ability to train for a third year running then you should retire from the sport and get treatment.
Good game in the PF against Mumford too when Roughy went down. No doubt he's got talent. But I agree, patience is wearing thin, particularly given his salary. If he can't establish himself this year as a lock in the 22, then it's probably time he moved on. On form I expect English will go past him this year.

Hope he makes it. But not much recent evidence to suggest he will.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Good game in the PF against Mumford too when Roughy went down. No doubt he's got talent. But I agree, patience is wearing thin, particularly given his salary. If he can't establish himself this year as a lock in the 22, then it's probably time he moved on. On form I expect English will go past him this year.

Hope he makes it. But not much recent evidence to suggest he will.

Sadly for Boyd he is now behind both Trengove and English as a ruck/fwd and behind Schache as a pure forward so unless we go with a two tall fwd and two ruck setup (which I doubt) he will be depth this season.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sadly for Boyd he is now behind both Trengove and English as a ruck/fwd and behind Schache as a pure forward so unless we go with a two tall fwd and two ruck setup (which I doubt) he will be depth this season.
I’d have him in front of English right now.

Whoyagot

All Australian
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’d have him in front of English right now.

From all reports English will take the next step this season. Was dominating VFL late last year and Lloyd mentioned in a recent interview he has a tonne of potential. I think it’s been mentioned on here as well the coaching staff view him as one of the brightest rising stars on our list. Complete contrast to the whispers about Boyd and Macrae’s words on his current training program.

I also reckon English’s game against the bombers in round 3 this year was a better 120 mins of footy then any Boyd has put together since GF day and English has most likely improved loads since then and is still only scratching the surface of his talent.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
From all reports English will take the next step this season. Was dominating VFL late last year and Lloyd mentioned in a recent interview he has a tonne of potential. I think it’s been mentioned on here as well the coaching staff view him as one of the brightest rising stars on our list. Complete contrast to the whispers about Boyd and Macrae’s words on his current training program.

I also reckon English’s game against the bombers in round 3 this year was a better 120 mins of footy then any Boyd has put together since GF day and English has most likely improved loads since then and is still only scratching the surface of his talent.

Agreed. His game against essendon was very exciting. He'll be comfortably ahead of Boyd by the end of next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back