Status
Not open for further replies.

huddo#9

Team Captain
Apr 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is an impossible comment to make unless you're inside the 4 walls.
You are correct that outside voice is important but as mentioned above, what new outside ideas would come after 7 years... you also dont know if they are actually any good, or what relationships they have with the players.

Fair call above, its just an opinion on lack of experience/exposure within the match committee
The below is their last hands on experience outside the Bulldogs 4 walls.
  • Gia - 1999 Western Jets (21 Years)
  • Bubba - ~1989 Kingsville (31 Years)
  • Ash Hansen - 2013 West Coast - (7 Years)
  • Steven King - 2011 StKilda - (9 Years)
There was only ever positive talk of Coreys influence around the place. He was brought in by Macca which I suspect probably has something to do with it.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fair call above, its just an opinion on lack of experience/exposure within the match committee
There was only ever positive talk of Coreys influence around the place. He was brought in by Macca which I suspect probably has something to do with it.

We can look at Buckley’s career as a good example of not needing outside experience to become a decent coach/assistant.

I personally thought he was a dog s**t coach but he’s developed in to a pretty good coach without any outside exp.
For all we know that could be the case for Gia, Smith and Co.

There’s probably only one reason that these coaches are still at the club and that is that the current footballing department believe they offer the club more than what the ones let go do.
One can disagree but the club is making making those decisions on the back of having the knowledge of the current situation as opposed to the average online punter who knows exactly zero on the current situation.

So unless we know more than what the club does, which 100% isn’t the case for any of us, I can’t see how we can’t back the club on the coaching decisions that have been made.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think internally they have all been highly rated. On this board people tend to take what is said here as gospel.... Corey came from Geelong = he must be way better than Gia who has only been with us.

Reality often is distorted.

huddo#9

Team Captain
Apr 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We can look at Buckley’s career as a good example of not needing outside experience to become a decent coach/assistant.

I personally thought he was a dog sh*t coach but he’s developed in to a pretty good coach without any outside exp.
For all we know that could be the case for Gia, Smith and Co.

There’s probably only one reason that these coaches are still at the club and that is that the current footballing department believe they offer the club more than what the ones let go do.
One can disagree but the club is making making those decisions on the back of having the knowledge of the current situation as opposed to the average online punter who knows exactly zero on the current situation.

So unless we know more than what the club does, which 100% isn’t the case for any of us, I can’t see how we can’t back the club on the coaching decisions that have been made.

I agree about the Buckley Call. But then you look at who he has been surrounded by...
Robert Harvey – Senior Assistant Coach
Brenton Sanderson – Assistant Coach
Matthew Boyd – Assistant Coach
Garry Hocking – VFL Senior Coach and Development Coach
Scott Selwood – Development Coach

Bevo brought alot of new ideas and culture in 2015, and had an instant impact. Who makes the calls on football staff? is it Chris Grant...

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I agree about the Buckley Call. But then you look at who he has been surrounded by...
Robert Harvey – Senior Assistant Coach
Brenton Sanderson – Assistant Coach
Matthew Boyd – Assistant Coach
Garry Hocking – VFL Senior Coach and Development Coach
Scott Selwood – Development Coach

Bevo brought alot of new ideas and culture in 2015, and had an instant impact. Who makes the calls on football staff? is it Chris Grant...

Again, there’s unknowns with those coaches. Sanderson has top level exp, but what do we really know about the others? For all we know, Gia and Smith could have them all covered. We just don’t know.

I’ve only been involved at local level but would assume it’s similar, the board have final say on the back of recommendations from Bev and the head of football, which I am pretty sure is Grant.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think internally they have all been highly rated. On this board people tend to take what is said here as gospel.... Corey came from Geelong = he must be way better than Gia who has only been with us.

Reality often is distorted.

Corey came from a successful football team which also helps imo.

I couldnt stand Gia as a player but that’s not my issue with him coaching it’s that he has never been to another club in any role and was never part of an Ultimately successful team.

When you add four coaches with similar resumes as his I find it hard to work out how anyone one of them can introduce new IP they know from personal experience can work.

It’s not Gia as a single it’s the entire group and we are clearly going into next year wit the same group AGAIN. That will be 7 years without one new coach. I’d bet that’s a record by a long way And tells me not many clubs are lining up to pull any of our coaches out

cecil

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It was the biggest non story ever.
Dougie: I don't really talk to Peter Gordon much. I offered to be in a "Sheedy" type marketing role for the club at the end of 2014 but they turned me down.
Gordon: We offered Dougie a few different roles but for one reason or another he turned them down.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Again, there’s unknowns with those coaches. Sanderson has top level exp, but what do we really know about the others? For all we know, Gia and Smith could have them all covered. We just don’t know.

I’ve only been involved at local level but would assume it’s similar, the board have final say on the back of recommendations from Bev and the head of football, which I am pretty sure is Grant.

I reckon you can gauge the quality of assistant coaches by the amount of interest in them when a senior position comes up... I haven't heard of anyone sniffing around any of our assistants for senior roles.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I reckon you can gauge the quality of assistant coaches by the amount of interest in them when a senior position comes up... I haven't heard of anyone sniffing around any of our assistants for senior roles.

We’ve seen some outstanding career assistants in recent years Damian Carroll is one, never been mentioned as a possible head coach as far as I’m aware.
His name has slipped my mind, but there’s another who was recently in the Dees coaches box. Considered one of the greatest football minds in the game. He does a spot on SEN nowadays giving insight on how games will play out over the rounds.

I’d say there’s 80+ assistants in the comp with a very small percentage of those who get mentioned by the media when there’s a HC vacancy. It’s a good indication as to who could make a good head coach but doesn’t necessarily write them off as an assistant.

Worth reading this around the debate of one or two rucks..
The tall and tall of it: How AFL ruck strategy has evolved

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-17/afl-analysis-how-ruck-strategy-has-evolved/12668180
Didn't think this was their best work when it's come to these analytics articles done by abc.

Anyway, it shows that the majority of teams are still going with the one ruckman taking 70%+ of ruck contests. That might go against some comments on here that most teams employ 2 ruckmen in a game.

Strictly reading this graph as it's written would support having Dunkley as your 2nd ruck, as with a Player Rating of 17 he is ranked higher than most #1 ruckmen:
1600296987630.png

I think this graph is heavily skewed by the differing player positions that participate in the the second most ruck contests in each game. It would have been better doing a comparison of win % for teams utilising a bonefide 2nd ruckman as opposed to a chop out from another player.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Derek home talking on the road to the draft podcasts suggest that the bulldogs will look to trade our first round pick out and move it into next year to save it being eaten up by a marra bid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back