What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

ScragCity

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Maybe Grant didn't know he was going to take extended leave until the last couple of days.

Who cares? I'm not making any judgement about Grant's action or inaction. I'm just saying that him coming out and telling us that Bailey will be away indefinitely wasn't much to ask of him. I'm defending the posters who questioned Bailey's absence, I'm not attacking Grant.

maddog37

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2008
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wondering why a star player is missing the entire pre-Christmas training block doesn't equate to demanding to know everything all of the time. If a player is taking an extended leave of absence surely its reasonable for the fans (who are the major stakeholders) to be notified. No one is demanding to know the specifics; personal reasons is an acceptable explanation. When you invest in a publicly traded company you are entitled to look at their financial reports. When you invest your time and money into following a footy club you're entitled to know a bit about what's going on. Without us there is no club, so yeah, the club needs to appease us within reason. How hard is it for Grant to come out and say, "Bailey is taking an extended leave of absence for personal reasons." Is that some big violation of his privacy? Has that compromised the club in some way to make that known?

Maybe next preseason the club should do every training session behind closed doors and not release any footage. That way if a player is missing no one can know. We shouldn't feel entitled to see any training footage or live sessions anyway, right?

Tl;Dr

Dogs_r_barking

Premiers 2016
Mar 2, 2007
Bellarine Peninsular
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melb Victory
Perhaps we need to be able to create a closed group for questions like this away from the prying eyes of the media. I know WOOF had one, the cone of silence or something.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray

The booing after the siren at the Gabba was music to my years after the 1999 semi and the 2000 elim. Not to mention that plonker Zorko's kick OOF to snuff out any chance they had.
Brisbane are almost as much a confected AFL subsidiary as the Giants and Suns, with the manufactured merger with Fitzroy engineered by H.O. even after the agreement to merge with North.
It was a great game, a great win, and the circumstances and opponent made it even sweeter.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MYOB

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Aces
I read an article about Dale Morris selling his Taylor's Lakes house and moving to Queensland.

Won't be long before one of the teams up there pick him up.

St 07

Club Legend
Jan 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wonder how many people from Vic have done the same thing in the last year.
I know many people who have or are in the process of moving there now. It was mentioned as advice from a recent self-help/therapeutic book... don't know the name of it. Is it for getting away from Melbourne weather and house prices?

ScragCity

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know many people who have or are in the process of moving there now. It was mentioned as advice from a recent self-help/therapeutic book... don't know the name of it. Is it for getting away from Melbourne weather and house prices?

Both of those things are part of it. The pandemic seems to be the catalyst.

dogwatch

Premium Platinum
Jun 17, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
And yet Melbourne and Sydney are expected to rebound in population growth with Melbourne overtaking Sydney some time in the next decade. (They've been saying that for a while though).

That's a shame. I think one of the beneficial side effects of the pandemic has been an increased level of decentralisation as people in many occupations realise they can work from anywhere and don't have to pay to live in congested and intimidating cities where affordable home ownership is unavailable to much of the younger population. Melbourne and Sydney are already big enough.

100action

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 18, 2009
Mogadishu
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gotta lol at opting brisbane for melbourne over property prices. Brisbane like any other city in australia has opted for the american surbabia model of development with generous private open space and large block sizes. Throw in a regulatory environment that treats property as a financial instrument for storing value and it will have melbournes problems sooner or later (if it doesnt already).

Their kids are likely to remain homeless stuck in a rentier society on the very continent their forefathers founded.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gotta lol at opting brisbane for melbourne over property prices. Brisbane like any other city in australia has opted for the american surbabia model of development with generous private open space and large block sizes. Throw in a regulatory environment that treats property as a financial instrument for storing value and it will have melbournes problems sooner or later (if it doesnt already).

Their kids are likely to remain homeless stuck in a rentier society on the very continent their forefathers founded.
It has gone up here madly in the last 10 months. However if you already own something in Melbourne or Sydney you could buy a mansion in comparison in Brisbane still. If you don’t already own, we’ll your f**ked, same as down there.

HK_Bulldog

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2001
NSW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Brisbane tenancy laws are quite different to Sydney and Melbourne. Laws are skewed more to the renter than the landlord.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad