What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t see why Caleb can’t change his approach when deep in defence? He doesn’t need to go these risky passes there. The moment it is a kick that enters the centre square though he should be as risky as he possibly can.

Surely he can accomodate both approaches, he is one of the smarter footballers I’ve seen

Yep he has the skill to push the ball long and wide

Much better a deliberate OOB 70 mts away from goal than a turnover inside 50.

Personally can not understand why we don’t have him up the ground, if I was a forward leading to him I’d be salivating knowing it’s at least giving me a crack at the ball and most probably hitting me on the t1t.

Yep he has the skill to push the ball long and wide

Much better a deliberate OOB 70 mts away from goal than a turnover inside 50.

Personally can not understand why we don’t have him up the ground, if I was a forward leading to him I’d be salivating knowing it’s at least giving me a crack at the ball and most probably hitting me on the t1t.
Because we need him struggling to clear the 50 on kick ins instead of Suckling launching the ball 75m away

Because we need him struggling to clear the 50 on kick ins instead of Suckling launching the ball 75m away

Caleb's lack of kicking penetration and his floaty kicks are more of a backline liability than his lack of height.

Yep and the coaches will positive speak their way around it and some will eat every word of it.

Like some ate the sh!t sandwich Wood forward idea with gusto and then tried to back it up

Caleb's long options when kicking out...
1. English vs Kruezer/Goldstein etc
2. Bont

Everyone knows Bont would be the likely target and cover him. Caleb has no option but short. This is on team selection not playing 2 key forwards where the CHF can present up the ground. It's a no win situation for whoever takes the kick in.

Surely one of the assistant coaches can come up with a strategy to get the ball out, like most teams.

Caleb's long options when kicking out...
1. English vs Kruezer/Goldstein etc
2. Bont

Everyone knows Bont would be the likely target and cover him. Caleb has no option but short. This is on team selection not playing 2 key forwards where the CHF can present up the ground. It's a no win situation for whoever takes the kick in.

Surely one of the assistant coaches can come up with a strategy to get the ball out, like most teams.

Yep but that option is 70-80 mts away from goal.

For time eternal football players have been told and taught when no other option exists get it long and wide.

I don’t accept he doesn’t have an option coz the above is the option.

Yep but that option is 70-80 mts away from goal.

For time eternal football players have been told and taught when no other option exists get it long and wide.

I don’t accept he doesn’t have an option coz the above is the option.
Spot on, long down the line is the big red button for every defender, first rule taught in both soccer and Football. Get it out of there as far and high as you can, so your mates can contest, mark, spoil, header, dance a jigg, whatever. Pin point to the opposition is 100% worst thing you can do. His team mates should recognise the situation and start making a sprint for the area. So frustrating when he has no option he still tries the fancy kick. Does it so often that the last two times i called it moments before he did it. like clock work its predictable now, teams will be told to pressure him so he coffs it up. Infuriating.

Caleb is getting 30 possessions a week at half back, and usually they are high quality and make us much more likely to rebound and the opposition less likely to get a repeat entry from a scrubby rushed clearance. Also his loose ball handling is elite which makes him super valuable mopping up in defensive 50.

If we play him mid/forward he will get much less of the ball as he has no weapons to beat a defender to win the ball, and his brain fade passes are just as risky in the forward half without our defence in position to defend a turnover (see the Richmond game, Caleb turnovers at half forward cost us two goals).

He does need to learn when to take the safe option, but moving him from the backline isn't the answer. With experience and coaching it will come.

Anyone hear PG this morning on SEN. Talked about the security stuff (dull) but interestingly also mentioned that the club has a poor record of attracting and retaining indigenous talent and that we have put special measures in to ameliorate it.

First time I’ve ever heard that officially as it’s been so obvious for so long. There are so many terrific aboriginal players around and the fact that we can’t (or won’t in the past) select or attract them to us has hurt us for many many years.

Geez I hope whatever we’re doing works because having an Eddie, Cyril, Adam Goodes or Michael Walters in the team would improve us markedly. Shia Bolton from Richmond would be a good start.

Anyone hear PG this morning on SEN. Talked about the security stuff (dull) but interestingly also mentioned that the club has a poor record of attracting and retaining indigenous talent and that we have put special measures in to ameliorate it.

First time I’ve ever heard that officially as it’s been so obvious for so long. There are so many terrific aboriginal players around and the fact that we can’t (or won’t in the past) select or attract them to us has hurt us for many many years.

Geez I hope whatever we’re doing works because having an Eddie, Cyril, Adam Goodes or Michael Walters in the team would improve us markedly. Shia Bolton from Richmond would be a good start.

Have been a Bulldog fans for a long long time and I can only think of two indigenous players that stand out for me Les Bamblett Micky Mclean pretty sad really

Have been a Bulldog fans for a long long time and I can only think of two indigenous players that stand out for me Les Bamblett Micky Mclean pretty sad really

Bingo. And then think about the quality indigenous players who played since then. We could have even had a couple (not being greedy). Does my head in.

I have a sneaking suspicion we are seen as poison amongst the ‘brothers’ ....based on what I don’t know but there’s gotta be something to it.

I really hope having Brett Goodes and perhaps some more Indigenous folks in the club could help. Wonder if we could bring Adam G in for a role...he’s obviously a smart guy. Don’t want to be tokenistic though. Fine line but glad we’re trying.

We need to be careful though...we need the right players not just any Indigenous player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

L
Les Bamblett was awesome to watch. My recollection was he was fat as mud but damn could he play.

And neither had a long career with us.
Magic played 95 games for us but played almost as many for Brisbane.
Les Bamblett played 11 for Melbourne and 37 for us. Kicked 51 goals in 1985 and only 71 in his whole career. Didn't play AFL after the age of 25. Wish we could have got a few more years of the 1985 form out of him.

Nicky Winmar was pretty good, although he was at the end of his career. He was on a Kayo classic replay of Dogs Vs Carlton at the weekend. I think I might have been at that game. We lost by 2 points and Nathan Brown missed a sitter.

What does everyone think about Gordon's support of the AFL's recent crowd control strategy?
Not happy about this recent development. Gordon is seriously out of touch if he thought this was the right line to take here.

Nobody wants to vilification or violence at the AFL, but equally nobody wants big brother telling fans how to barrack for their team. The recent strategy of patrolling the aisles was over the top and has already been acknowledged as such by the stadium operator.

Just baffling that Gordon would come out publicly today and support something that even those in charge of the process have admitted wasn't good.

What does everyone think about Gordon's support of the AFL's recent crowd control strategy?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
His view is that the football should be a safer environment for families. I agree completely.

The execution was poor but I understand why the security has been increased.

But we’ve made ourselves young. That’s our call. We didn’t just get there.

And Sydney get a pass because they make finals every year. Very very consistent team. We’re more of a roller coaster team. All over the shop.
Every team makes themselves young, which is the whole concept of rebuilding. We may have overdone it, but losing blokes unexpectedly like Picken and to a certain extent Boyd has probably caused a bump or two with our longer term planning. I think it's a good thing the club has continued to main a longer term view and not sacrificed it for shorter term gain. This offseason is the key though. The first time in a long time we've had trade and cap currency. I'll reserve judgement until after trade period is done.

Every team makes themselves young, which is the whole concept of rebuilding. We may have overdone it, but losing blokes unexpectedly like Picken and to a certain extent Boyd has probably caused a bump or two with our longer term planning. I think it's a good thing the club has continued to main a longer term view and not sacrificed it for shorter term gain. This offseason is the key though. The first time in a long time we've had trade and cap currency. I'll reserve judgement until after trade period is done.

How many teams in the competition have had 4 players in there team retire in their 20s. Redpath 27, Biggs 27, Smith 25 and Boyd 23. All in the space on 6 months. I’d argue only Biggs isn’t best 22. I’ve been critical of list management but we have been absolutely shafted by early retirements. None of them were superstars and certainly not in our top 12 or so players but the system we played those 3 were central in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back