What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’d prefer an outdated old dinosaur like Kennett ?
No his comments were stupid and inappropriate too.

The crowds been going for a hundred years. I grew up going to the footy and so did you with people swearing and carrying on and it’s not a big deal. People need to relax about children and them growing up and hearing swear words that they’ve already heard.

The crowds been going for a hundred years. I grew up going to the footy and so did you with people swearing and carrying on and it’s not a big deal. People need to relax about children and them growing up and hearing swear words that they’ve already heard.

are you a parent?

Caleb is getting 30 possessions a week at half back, and usually they are high quality and make us much more likely to rebound and the opposition less likely to get a repeat entry from a scrubby rushed clearance. Also his loose ball handling is elite which makes him super valuable mopping up in defensive 50.

If we play him mid/forward he will get much less of the ball as he has no weapons to beat a defender to win the ball, and his brain fade passes are just as risky in the forward half without our defence in position to defend a turnover (see the Richmond game, Caleb turnovers at half forward cost us two goals).

He does need to learn when to take the safe option, but moving him from the backline isn't the answer. With experience and coaching it will come.
Words of wisdom :)

Aha! So that's it. Thought so.
So I'm not a parent. I don't have a family.
I am not worthy!!
I'm sorry but this "family" new era PC gets up my goat.
I yell like anything at the footy. Rarely a swear word out loud. Many people don't like a bit of noise any more (well, the Bulldog crowd are the silent minority in the crowd noise stakes out of all AFL clubs - quietest in the league).
Like Bont I grew up going to the footy with extended family - they didn't swear over "bludger" or "bloody". Saw fights around us and insults hurled towards players and umpires alike (including racial). And everyone was closer to the action and smaller crowds made it more obviously heard.
Now I'm not saying we should keep to those times.
But if "families" can't put up with noise or the OCCASSIONAL swear word slipped they shouldn't go to the game.
Alternatively, have family friendly areas where there is a passive "tally ho" or titter of applause allowed in the zone.
I guess Gordon is smart. Those of us unworthy family types have no legacy to leave the club. So he's backing those that will have supporters of the future.
The only other reason I thought he might have opined on something he needn't have was because verbal abuse has added to the mental health issues around our team. But he can't say that as we may appear 'weak'.
It all just seems bizarre. I'd rather the security staff focus on monitoring the crowd for terrorist/nut case attacks than worry about noise or a few swear words.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Aha! So that's it. Thought so.
So I'm not a parent. I don't have a family.
I am not worthy!!
I'm sorry but this "family" new era PC gets up my goat.
I yell like anything at the footy. Rarely a swear word out loud. Many people don't like a bit of noise any more (well, the Bulldog crowd are the silent minority in the crowd noise stakes out of all AFL clubs - quietest in the league).
Like Bont I grew up going to the footy with extended family - they didn't swear over "bludger" or "bloody". Saw fights around us and insults hurled towards players and umpires alike (including racial). And everyone was closer to the action and smaller crowds made it more obviously heard.
Now I'm not saying we should keep to those times.
But if "families" can't put up with noise or the OCCASSIONAL swear word slipped they shouldn't go to the game.
Alternatively, have family friendly areas where there is a passive "tally ho" or titter of applause allowed in the zone.
I guess Gordon is smart. Those of us unworthy family types have no legacy to leave the club. So he's backing those that will have supporters of the future.
The only other reason I thought he might have opined on something he needn't have was because verbal abuse has added to the mental health issues around our team. But he can't say that as we may appear 'weak'.
It all just seems bizarre. I'd rather the security staff focus on monitoring the crowd for terrorist/nut case attacks than worry about noise or a few swear words.

I'll tell you whats bizarre. That you think that this entire issue is about a bit of noise and the occasional swear word?

Last weekends typically ham-fisted crackdown was clearly an overreaction to recent very public brawling in the crowd that stadium management and the AFL have publicly stated will quickly be corrected back to a more tolerable level of security oversight. I would suggest to you that your post is just as big an overreaction.

I'll tell you whats bizarre. That you think that this entire issue is about a bit of noise and the occasional swear word?

Last weekends typically ham-fisted crackdown was clearly an overreaction to recent very public brawling in the crowd that stadium management and the AFL have publicly stated will quickly be corrected back to a more tolerable level of security oversight. I would suggest to you that your post is just as big an overreaction.
Do you really think the Joffa's, Kennet's and others of this world who have publicly berated the recent crowd patrol measures are arguing for the continuation of fights?
And what about those that let one swear word drop in front of their kid and were spoken to or removed to be spoken to?
You need to get up with the info mate.

Last edited:

Very true, I did grow up with that kinda behaviour.
I certainly don’t want my son to hear some of the rot that gets shouted at the footy.
Why do we have to just deal with it because others have been around it for a hundred years ?

Grown adults carrying on like *in idiots is pretty ridiculous, let’s be honest.

I cheer and and make noise at the footy but I’ve never ever been spoken to because I don’t act like a twat.
That’s all that’s being asked. Cheer all you want. Don’t be a twat.

Do you really think the Joffa's, Kennet's and others of this world who have publicly berated the recent crowd patrol measures are arguing for the continuation of fights?
And what about those that let one swear word drop in front of their kid and were spoken to or removed to be spoken to?

I remember once at the Western Oval in the 90's something happened on the field (can't remember what) but I let out the 4 letter word (I never swore in company of women) then getting tapped on the shoulder by a policeman saying there are women around so please don't swear.

If you all read my post I said I certainly don't want to go back to those days.
My main point was that the recent security guard measures (patrolling aisles) were OTT for an occasional drop of a swear word, loud barracking or verbal crowd argy bargy (meaning disagreements in the crowd that aren't going to lead to a fist fight - although sometimes that can be hard to judge as you don't know the person you're disagreeing with.).
So.... why Gordon has said it was ok I don't know and only threw out a couple of theories.
But the majority has spoken and most support the recent measures it seems.
So I now question why McGlauchlan (spelling?) is backing down?
I'll take my tablets and have a good lie down

What does everyone think about Gordon's support of the AFL's recent crowd control strategy?

He’s out of touch with the common man. He recently watch the Goodes video and believes the main reasons people were booing Goodes was because of racism. Well Peter, most people were booing Adam, for good or not, because of his ‘black arm band’ view of politics after he was Australian of the year. When you get political, like Peter seems to have done here, and the AFL do all the time, people don’t like it. Now I don’t care if you left or right politically, but I also don’t want to know. Leave people to barrack, and passionately, and IF they break the law kick ‘em out, if they don’t let them enjoy the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where were the security people when an actual scuffle broke out. They left it to the police to sort it out. I thought they were there to identify trouble before it started. Fail

I sit 2 rows from the back on level 1 and the abuse and antagonising of home members from behind the fence (with its newly installed bench for your beer) would turn your hair white. Some people respond & then it escalates quickly. I’m yet to see security step in.

Why are they there is it to stop fights or just to tell people to be quiet or to calm down. Or is it to break up players wrestling out on the ground 🙄

Last edited:
Every team makes themselves young, which is the whole concept of rebuilding. We may have overdone it, but losing blokes unexpectedly like Picken and to a certain extent Boyd has probably caused a bump or two with our longer term planning. I think it's a good thing the club has continued to main a longer term view and not sacrificed it for shorter term gain. This offseason is the key though. The first time in a long time we've had trade and cap currency. I'll reserve judgement until after trade period is done.
I think that’s the problem though. We were a young team that won a flag. Why rebuild? Think we definitely overdid it. Why? Can’t say for sure, maybe we couldn’t sell ourselves well enough to established talent because I’m fairly certain even after we won the flag we had enough money to have a crack at Hurley so money wasn’t our issue.

Agree with Boyd throwing a massive curveball into our recruiting but at this point, it may have been a good curveball as harsh as that may sound. Let’s face it, Boyd hasn’t given us much on field since the GF, so that money being free now can only be good because the future for Tom was looking a little gloomy.

Disagree that losing Picken affected things. Given he was 31? when he suffered his concussion and never displayed significant signs of improvement I’d be disappointed if the club hadn’t made plans that didn’t include Picko. His loss has affected on field performances but shouldn’t be affecting our list build much.

You’re spot on about this off season. Absolutely huge for the club and so important we get it right. I’m kinda hoping Bevo takes a Ross Lyon approach with our recruitment this year and let the cobblers do the cobbling. I don’t want to hear about him overruling and making list management decisions. But it’s more than just what we do in terms of trade, free agency and draft this year. Think we need a decent amount of staff changes too. Time for some fresh intel, ideas and views. Maybe a new captain (hello Bont!)

It worked so well for us in 2015. Good draft haul, a big fish, some handy mature talent, fresh coach, captain and CEO. Bevo got the boys to believe in a narrative. We looked like a team. Played like a team. And Jesus did we play some sexy football. It’s the most enjoyable year I’ve had at the football (obviously except for September/October ‘16)

Have any of you ever texted Security on the number displayed? If you feel threatened or unsafe you are justified in reporting the behaviour.

Everyone wants to barrack but often it's not happy barracking, it's angry, abusive towards oppo players, own players, umpires, fans of both sides, men and women and by both sexes. Even children. What's the answer? It seems to reflect society as a whole (not to get too deep) but the level of anger is out of proportion.

He’s out of touch with the common man. He recently watch the Goodes video and believes the main reasons people were booing Goodes was because of racism. Well Peter, most people were booing Adam, for good or not, because of his ‘black arm band’ view of politics after he was Australian of the year. When you get political, like Peter seems to have done here, and the AFL do all the time, people don’t like it. Now I don’t care if you left or right politically, but I also don’t want to know. Leave people to barrack, and passionately, and IF they break the law kick ‘em out, if they don’t let them enjoy the footy.
So well said. Thank you.

Caleb is getting 30 possessions a week at half back, and usually they are high quality and make us much more likely to rebound and the opposition less likely to get a repeat entry from a scrubby rushed clearance. Also his loose ball handling is elite which makes him super valuable mopping up in defensive 50.

If we play him mid/forward he will get much less of the ball as he has no weapons to beat a defender to win the ball, and his brain fade passes are just as risky in the forward half without our defence in position to defend a turnover (see the Richmond game, Caleb turnovers at half forward cost us two goals).

He does need to learn when to take the safe option, but moving him from the backline isn't the answer. With experience and coaching it will come.

Ok ummmmm this doesn’t make sense.

In one sentence you say his loose ball handling is elite and then he is no good at beating opposition to get the ball.

So how does he get loose balls in the backline and wouldn’t that be the same in the forward line sorry that makes zero sense coz the ball spends as much time on the ground in the forward half as it does back and in out forwrd line with no marking presence it probably spends more time.

People can talk Caleb in the backline up all they want but he directly costs us more points per game than any dog player has in many many years by the AFL stats.

How many teams in the competition have had 4 players in there team retire in their 20s. Redpath 27, Biggs 27, Smith 25 and Boyd 23. All in the space on 6 months. I’d argue only Biggs isn’t best 22. I’ve been critical of list management but we have been absolutely shafted by early retirements. None of them were superstars and certainly not in our top 12 or so players but the system we played those 3 were central in it.
Fair point you make, as I mentioned to Pugz earlier, Boyd would have been a curveball but maybe a good one.

Redpath I’m not sure. Played some good but I never thought of him as best 22, and given his ACL history and skill level, he was always a year to year proposition.

Smith was best 22 for sure. So disappointed we didn’t see more of him. We miss him so much in our forward line. Him and Libba were like the bash brothers in the mighty ducks. But as I said with Red, given his ACL history, was always a year to year proposition.

Biggs is the interesting one. When we signed him I honestly had never heard of him. But he soon became a regular and played some really good footy for us. With all our injuries in 2016 he was incredibly important to us. Like many, fell away in 2017 and then off a cliff in 2018.

I think the sudden form change of so many players has affected our list more than anything else. Wood dropped off a cliff, Dahl dropped off and soon after shipped out, Roughead slipped and was shipped off, Stringer slipped and had some off field issues and was shipped, Picken dropped a bit, got injured and retired. Of the players still with us from 2016, how many have maintained their form level or gotten better? Maybe as a club we were banking on many players getting better or at least holding the form they had and that’s what has affected our build.

People feel unsafe at the footy. The last game I took my kids to we had two big blokes in front of us continually standing up and blocking our view and were spoiling for a fight. My kids who are pretty robust could not see and were scared. So we moved. Next spot we were surrounded by blokes who were falling down drunk and were swearing and carrying on like dicks. And spilling beers on everyone around them.

My kids were shaken and don't want to go back

It's not about the odd swear word its about feeling safe. My kids didn't and the AFL has lost a couple of fans.

Shits me as I wanted to take my kids to the footy like my dad did with me.

And no as a kid I never felt unsafe in the old days in the outer at any of the suburban grounds. Never saw the crap my kids did that day.

People feel unsafe at the footy. The last game I took my kids to we had two big blokes in front of us continually standing up and blocking our view and were spoiling for a fight. My kids who are pretty robust could not see and were scared. So we moved. Next spot we were surrounded by blokes who were falling down drunk and were swearing and carrying on like dicks. And spilling beers on everyone around them.

My kids were shaken and don't want to go back

It's not about the odd swear word its about feeling safe. My kids didn't and the AFL has lost a couple of fans.

****s me as I wanted to take my kids to the footy like my dad did with me.

And no as a kid I never felt unsafe in the old days in the outer at any of the suburban grounds. Never saw the crap my kids did that day.
Is there no alcohol free zones at Marvel?

Can't say I have EVER had this issue at Optus or Subi, having been in Freo and West Coast games. There's the occasional idiot overdoing the umpire abuse, but nothing that would ever make you feel unsafe

Is there no alcohol free zones at Marvel?

Can't say I have EVER had this issue at Optus or Subi, having been in Freo and West Coast games. There's the occasional idiot overdoing the umpire abuse, but nothing that would ever make you feel unsafe

We were at the G last yr against the Tiges. Not aware of alcohol free zones. In any case the big blokes were amped up on roids or speed and weren't pissed. Just angry.

Heck even at the GF dogs fans nearly punched on as one drunk dick who had annoyed the crap out of everyone all day spilled his beers all over the poor bastard in front of him. A small sour note at the GF.

Just some ordinary units at the footy unfortunately.

I go to most of our home games and the odd opposition game (usually in the MCC though so not truly representative of a normal football crowd). I would say I've only ever felt unsafe at an AFL game once - high up on the third deck of Etihad when a group of Collingwood fans directly behind me started punching on with some Bulldogs fans, throwing beer and pushing each other across rows of chairs. I may have been lucky, but at no other time have I felt unsafe.

You put up with the odd dickhead carrying on about the umpires or the opposition, but that's to be expected at a sporting event (as in any public situation) - there's a difference between threatening and obnoxious behaviour. No reason to ban the latter, which is what the AFL have started to try and do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back