Bont2Boyd

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Can everyone please post the best media takes this week for us vs essendon. Even if it's just a roast of them I wanna hear it
Matthew Lloyd:

"It was horrible. They were horrible last night, Essendon. One of the worst performances in the history of the club and obviously the club has been around for well over 120-odd years. It was appalling," Lloyd told Channel Nine's Sunday Footy Show.

"I was there as a spectator last night – the amount of people leaving at half-time and three-quarter time angry, the venom towards the players for a lack of effort."
Mark Robinson:

DISLIKES
1. What was that, Essendon?

The texts came at quarter-time. Every Essendon person either sent them or received them. Disappointment and disbelief eventually gave way to texts dripping with anger and fury as the Bulldogs piled on goal after goal. The positive trajectory from the past five weeks has been enveloped by doom. Suddenly coach John Worsfold is a target because his insipid players made him a target. That’s what happens when players surrender. It’s also what happens when the coach’s game plan doesn’t stand up. It’s too easy to say the coach must be sacked. It’s far bigger than that. When a team kicks 106 points from turnovers there are queries about defending without the ball. Worsfold may well be gone if his players surrender over the next two weeks — they play Fremantle away and Collingwood at the MCG. As coach he is responsible for every aspect. but this was also a players’ issue. This was pathetic. The team has kicked eight goals in six quarters of football. They didn’t come to play in the second half against Port Adelaide and didn’t come to play in the four quarters against the Bulldogs. If they don’t come to play over the next two weeks then change will be demanded.
2. Injuries are not an excuse
There’s no shame in losing — unless you lose like that. Six changes at selection hurts connectivity but doesn’t break hearts, spirit and systems. There were words spoken after the game by players and there likely will be more during the week. “We can either listen to the outside noise and succumb to the pressure or we bury deep and stick together,’’ skipper Dyson Heppell said after the match. “Fair enough, we’re going to cop it from the outside. We’ll own that, that’s fine. They can say what they like, but we’re going to stay strong internally as a whole club. The whole club needs to own this one.’’ The club is already bunkered down. No Essendon player or official was available for radio interviews yesterday which was the right decision. Enough has been said already.
3. Why so inconsistent?
Orazio Fantasia is sore according to the Bombers and that may explain why he had one handball in the first half on Saturday night. He is symbolic of Essendon. He can look a million dollars or he can look a footy pauper. Anthony McDonald-Tipingwuti is the same. One week Jake Stringer is one of the most devastating players in the AFL, the next week scratches for seven possessions. Shaun McKernan is the same. David Zaharakis was limp and Heppell is injured. Zac Clarke is beaten every week. Every player on the field on Saturday night has the finger pointed at them. This club has been inconsistent for 15 years, which is what hurts the fans most. Is that a Worsfold problem, a players’ problem or a culture problem? Starting to think there’s an acceptance of mediocrity.

The Bulldogs didn’t muck around. It started in the midfield with the ball hogs — Josh Dunkley, Jack Macrae and Lachie Hunter and Marcus Bontempelli — and ended in front of goals with 11 goalkickers and a score of 21.11. Hunter told 3AW it’s a positive to have a settled forward squad of Aaron Naughton and Josh Schache as the talls with Bailey Dale, Toby McLean, Tory Dickson, Sam Lloyd and Patrick Lipinksi around them. Dale has been a revelation. He has kicked 13 goals and averaged eight score involvements from his past four matches. He had just seven goals from his previous 13 matches. If the Dogs make September they will scare which ever team they play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont2Boyd

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Michael Gleeson:

4 Points: Don and dusted? The Bombers don't look a finals team
Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin took 108 minutes to circle the earth on his first space flight in 1961. Essendon took the same time between kicking goals at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night. So yes, you could have circled the earth in the time it took Essendon to kick their second goal against the Bulldogs. At least Gagarin would have enjoyed the view, which is more than can be said for those watching the Bombers.

Of course, we are still waiting for North’s second goal – but that is a different story. This was no normal round of footy. It snowed Friday night, North kicked one goal for the match Saturday night. And Essendon, oh Essendon. Put their loss this way: a statistician reported on Saturday night that in the history of the top-eight system, no side outside the eight had ever beaten a side inside the eight by 100 points or more.

First, we start with the partial explanation, not the excuse. Essendon had more of their best team missing than playing. Those absences can explain a loss, but not one of this magnitude. Injuries are only a partial explanation, for Essendon lacked something more elementary than players.

This was a passionless defeat. It was a meek surrender that spoke to a lack of desire to run and to work. And while yes, they missed many players, the midfield still had Dyson Heppell, Zach Merrett, Dylan Shiel and Dylan Clarke (tagging) in the team. They are first-choice centre-bounce players. Jake Stringer was also there for burst rotations and while Tom Bellchambers was a critical loss because it exposed Zac Clarke, who is well past his use-by date, they were playing against a third-year, stripe of paint ruckman in Tim English (enormously promising but still a foal). English was excellent again.

Essendon lost the contested possession count by 38 and the uncontested possession count by triple figures. So they were beaten in congestion and beaten for running once the ball broke from congestion. Oh, and the tackle count. That combination speaks to their appetite for work.

The Bulldogs are a side that likes to counterattack from half-back. They are back playing in the manner of their 2016 flag year, with clean sharp handballs from superior numbers of players, drawn to where the ball is trying to be won. Then once they win the ball, they ricochet it about with snappy handballs until they reach one of the many players already heading at pace towards goal. Suddenly, they are a wave washing through the ground. Essendon knew this and were powerless to stop it.

Here are two stats that describe this picture better than any others. Essendon laid one tackle in their forward 50. For the night. The Bulldogs kicked 10 goals from balls that started in Essendon’s forward line. Essendon could offer nothing to counter. In large part this was because they had three quarters of their spine missing – Michael Hurley, Joe Daniher and Bellchambers – so they had little marking power.

These are not matters that are going to be quickly fixed. Essendon now not only looks unlikely to make the finals, but undeserving of doing so with the team they have available to them. Pressure returns to John Worsfold, but it might as readily turn to the medical and fitness program that has left them so thin for numbers.

Essendon have lost more than 10 percentage points in the last two games. They are easy to play against now, and unfortunately came up against sides in the last two weeks that punish teams that do not have an appetite for work. Port Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs are fast, attacking, offensive units that both deserve to be playing finals, and the Bulldogs in particular are ripe to win a final if and when they get there. Port and the Dogs are in both in far better form than either of the sides that look likely to finish in fifth and sixth place – Collingwood and GWS.

Those two making the eight would not be a case of making up the finals. Both look likely to be able to win finals if and when they do get there. The same cannot be said of Essendon.

New Dogs, old tricks
The measure of the Bulldogs' win is also impacted by the fact they were without Tom Liberatore, Caleb Daniel and Mitch Wallis. The reason they we able to so thoroughly cover their absence was that Josh Dunkley has moved from good to very good. As others have noted, after he racked up 16 touches and kicked a goal in the first quarter alone, he's in the best form of his career.

The critical thing about Dunkley as a midfielder is that he is a big body and defence-first in his thinking, and has an enormous aerobic capacity to run all day. He knows where to put himself, and helps create space and time for others. His kicking is still poor but his running and ball-winning ability offsets it.

Other midfields have drawn credit for containing bigger names, but the combination of Marcus Bontempelli, Jackson Macrae, Lachie Hunter and now Dunkley (and Liberatore and Wallis) stands up with any midfield in the competition. Beyond that, they’ve also recruited a serious, underrated talent in Hayden Crozier. His run off half-back in the first quarter set up what was to come, as much as Dunkley's efforts around the ball.

The Buck

Debutant
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
all 21 goals in a row opened Footy Classified. lol bombers
And then ... nothing! Essendon, Essendon, Essendon ... Faux controversies regarding Melbourne, Fremantle, Carlton, every other club, blah, blah blah.

Oh, "Hutchy," at the first part of the program, promised, "more on the Dogs, later." In the hope of hearing something Bulldog-related, I endured the rest of this program, as one would drinking a big glass of flat, warm beer. Ten seconds of Toby McLean and then ... bugger all. A more shallow, and double-dealing group of so-called "knowledgeable" football "experts" and over-paid w***ers, I can't think of.

As for 360: Robbo manufactured a tearful moment in lamenting his beloved Bombers' fate. As for the Dogs, a couple of asides, but bugger all really.

Par for the course, I know, but you'd think that there would be a smidgeon of recognition of a team that set League records in smashing a top-eight side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jaxie1

Team Captain
Mar 19, 2011
Hamilton, Victoria
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And then ... nothing! Essendon, Essendon, Essendon ... Faux controversies regarding Melbourne, Fremantle, Carlton, every other club, blah, blah blah.

Oh, "Hutchy," at the first part of the program, promised, "more on the Dogs, later." In the hope of hearing something Bulldog-related, I endured the rest of this program, as one would drinking a big glass of flat, warm beer. Ten seconds of Toby McLean and then ... bugger all. A more shallow, and double-dealing group of so-called "knowledgeable" football "experts" and over-paid w***ers, I can't think of.

As for 360: Robbo manufactured a tearful moment in lamenting his beloved Bombers' fate. As for the Dogs, a couple of asides, but bugger all really.

Par for the course, I know, but you'd think that there would be a smidgeon of recognition of a team that set League records in smashing a top-eight side.
Well said especially the beer bit

_Mike_

Super Moderator
Aug 10, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Montreal Canadiens
Coming into round 16, Western Bulldogs midfielder Jack Macrae has recorded the fifth-highest average Official AFL Player Ratings points for players who have appeared in at least 10 games this year.

The only four ahead of Macrae are Nat Fyfe, Patrick Cripps, Max Gawn and Marcus Bontempelli.

The comparison to Fyfe this season shows where Macrae is https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Compare?playerIds=CD_I295467,CD_I291570&comparisonTab=h2h

GetDimmaBack

BigFooty Librarian
Mar 30, 2008
Gippsland via Braybrook
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Sunderland, Phillip Island Dogs

I can see the Coodabeens using us this week as one of their quiz questions:

"Essendon were obliterated last week.

Did they have an opponent?"

Dogs Rule

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray

I kind of enjoyed Slobbo’s raving about the Dopers. It was hysterical and made no sense at all, but what’s new? I actually thought he was going to cry at one point. Either that or torch Windy Hill.

Top Bottom