What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
'The Greatest Season That Was' podcast, just released the first episode of 'Fitzroy Bulldogs', the story of the failed merger of the two club.

Looks very interesting. Season 1 of the podcast was terrific, hoping this will be just as good.
Is that episode 19 Sons of the West? Its about 1989
edit ok I see they also call it 'Fitzroy Bulldogs'

Episode 19 is from season 1. Season 2 is a cricket season and season 3 is the Fitzroy Bulldogs one.
Only went for 9 mins? They are doing more episodes soon apparently

Very brave. Fascinating interview.
Agree. We don't seem to treat players like normal people, they are seen as deserving of any and all criticism, as loudly as possible. People going up to him in the street to give their opinion, nasty or otherwise; it's a horrible world we live in these days. It's a wonder more aren't having problems and I predict many more will.

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Very brave. Fascinating interview.
What an intelligent, articulate man Tom is. The podcasts with him are so amazing; was unaware of the implications of the shoulder injury on his 2018 pre season even though we all know that pre season is the most important preparation time for the next year.

So good to see him laughing and happy to be out of the afl world and who can blame him. It must have been such an inclusive environment for him at the plastics.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I was a bit disappointed in Bevo for this. It is fair enough to be upset at GWS tactics but to do it through the media looks like whinging. Give Cameron a call , have a strong word at the next coaches meeting or better still just make sure the boys win the next encounter. But doing it through the media- not cool.
What makes you think he didn't?
I like his passion he speaks on the edge! GWS should be able to identify with that.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades

Absolutely unnecessary garbage from Jon Ralph written purely on the back of Tom Boyd earning life membership at the Dogs. Get a ******* grip.

Think it’s innocent. All Richmond premiership players automatically become life members and nothing was announced at the B&F last night. Maybe Boyd’s life membership reminded him of it.

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Think it’s innocent. All Richmond premiership players automatically become life members and nothing was announced at the B&F last night. Maybe Boyd’s life membership reminded him of it.

I dunno about that when Morris retired he tweeted a copy of his article with the tag line Morris’s tackle leading to million dollar Tom’s goal

Absolutely unnecessary garbage from Jon Ralph written purely on the back of Tom Boyd earning life membership at the Dogs. Get a ******* grip.

Inclined to agree with Sentinel here. He doesn't tweet it all the time and it would be appropriate to give it to him when he retires. It's a snipe from Jonny and par for the course.

How did he tie it in with Toyd?

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gary Buckenara analyses the Western Bulldogs’ list after the 2019 season
Gary Buckenara, Herald Sun
October 11, 2019 7:00am
Subscriber only
The Bulldogs are building something special and we could see another piece of silverware heading to Whitten Oval as soon as next year.

I rate the list so highly. We saw glimpses of what this group of players — led by stars Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Jason Johannisen and Easton Wood — is capable of in the second half of the season, despite bowing out in the first week of the finals.

The Bulldogs have been able to overcome adversity in the years since its 2016 premiership and again endured disruptions this season with the retirements of Liam Picken and Tom Boyd and injuries to key players, including Tom Liberatore and Caleb Daniel.

After missing the finals in 2017, the club has been able to rejuvenate its list in the space of two years and I expect Luke Beveridge’s team to be a serious premiership threat in 2020.

The emergence of Aaron Naughton, who is going to be a superstar, Josh Dunkley, Bailey Smith, Ed Richards, Bailey Dale and Tim English has the Bulldogs in the enviable position of having one of the most exciting young lists in the AFL.

The signs for Josh Schache are also positive after struggling at Brisbane and despite being in and out of the senior side this year. He kicked 24 goals in 14 matches, including hauls of four and three goals in four games and was held goalless just three times. His last quarter against Hawthorn in Round 2, where he kicked three goals in the final term to finish with four for the game, showed exactly what he’s capable of. I’m really excited to see what he can produce over the next 6-7 years.

I see eight potential stars of the future on this current Bulldogs list, players who have the talent to develop into A or B-grade players, and if they can realise their potential then they will form the nucleus of a seriously good side as they play alongside already established stars Bontempelli (23 years old), Macrae (24), Johannisen (26) and Liberatore (27).

The Bulldogs have gone into this year’s trade period with a plan and have a clear understanding of what their list needs and will address two needs — key position players forward and back through the expected additions of Josh Bruce from St Kilda and Alex Keath from Adelaide.

Bruce is a flexible player who is athletic for his size and has been a good goal kicker for the Saints.

He’ll form a nice partnership with Naughton and Schache and will likely get the second or third defender. This forward line is going to create some serious headaches for opposition coaches in the coming years. I think the Dogs’ pick No.32 is a fair trade.

Keath is an interesting one. He’s shown good signs as a key defender who can intercept mark but he’s only really played one good season, and that was this year.

He will shore up the Dogs’ defence and be the man who can play on the bigger forwards. The Crows will want top dollar for him but I’d offer pick No.44 or a future second or third-round pick.

LIST NEEDS
The Bulldogs’ list is well balanced and has a great spread of top-end, mid-range and developing talent and its two needs — a key forward and key defender — will be met during the trade period.

For depth of talent, I’d love to see another quick and classy goal kicking small forward added, as well as an experienced ruckman to help Tim English.

Overall though, this list is in excellent shape not only for the present but for the future. A big pat on the back goes to the club’s list management and recruiting team.

Old reliable, Jack Macrae just gets the job done for the Dogs. Picture: Michael Klein
Old reliable, Jack Macrae just gets the job done for the Dogs. Picture: Michael Klein
LIST BREAKDOWN
A: Marcus Bontempelli

B+: Jack Macrae, Jason Johannisen

B: Easton Wood, Tom Liberatore

B-: Matt Suckling, Josh Dunkley, Tory Dickson

C+: Mitch Wallis, Lachie Hunter, Jackson Trengove, Hayden Crozier, Toby McLean, Bailey Dale, Caleb Daniel, Lin Jong, Ben Cavarra, Sam Lloyd, Taylor Duryea, Will Hayes, Billy Gowers

C: Zaine Cordy, Fletcher Roberts, Lukas Webb, Roarke Smith

C-: Nil

Developing*: Josh Schache, Ed Richards, Patrick Lipinski, Aaron Naughton, Bailey Williams, Tim English, Bailey Smith, Rhylee West

Developing: Lewis Young, Callum Porter, Fergus Greene, Brad Lynch, Laitham Vandermeer, Lachie Young, Buku Khamis, Jordon Sweet

Please note: Developing* refers to players aged 21 or under with the talent and potential to become A or B-grade players.

DRAFT STRATEGY
The Bulldogs could come out of the trade period still holding onto their first-round pick, currently No.13, which would be massive given they are addressing their need for a key defender and key forward. I would go best available with that selection, then draft for needs with their later picks, which likely won’t be until the back end of the draft.

CRYSTAL BALL
I’m very confident the Bulldogs will not only be a finals team in 2020 but they will definitely finish top four and challenge for the premiership.

Obviously I can’t predict what sort of luck they’ll have with injuries to key players but if they have a good run then there’s no doubt the Bulldogs will be one of the teams to beat next year.

Get ready for a fun ride, Bulldogs fans.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
Yes. Josh Dunkley B- in particular. Makes you wonder if Buckenara actually watched him play.
Possibly only in the Hawthorn match in Round 2 (that he clearly saw because of the Schache mention) while Dunkley was playing as a FWD.

Not a bad positive review.

Not sure why any of our posters worry too much about the grading by an outsider, we rarely agree here and do watch every week.

People's opinions are nothing more than that

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not a bad positive review.

Not sure why any of our posters worry too much about the grading by an outsider, we rarely agree here and do watch every week.

People's opinions are nothing more than that

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know, but Hunter and Crozier a C+ the same as Trengove, Jong, Cavarra, Hayes and Gowers. Spare me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back