What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOT EVEN contracting a food-related parasite has spoiled former Tiger Sam Lloyd's initiation at the Western Bulldogs.
"I got pretty crook over there, so I wouldn't rush back, but it was a really good holiday.
"I'd recommend the sightseeing over there for anyone, but just don't eat the raw fish.
"I had a parasite, so I was watching Netflix halfway across the world for about five days, but it's all good now – the doc's fixed me up."

I don't buy it. I bet it was the roast guinea pig. He's just too afraid to admit he ate a pet. :D

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
From all reports English will take the next step this season. Was dominating VFL late last year and Lloyd mentioned in a recent interview he has a tonne of potential. I think it’s been mentioned on here as well the coaching staff view him as one of the brightest rising stars on our list. Complete contrast to the whispers about Boyd and Macrae’s words on his current training program.

I also reckon English’s game against the bombers in round 3 this year was a better 120 mins of footy then any Boyd has put together since GF day and English has most likely improved loads since then and is still only scratching the surface of his talent.
English and Schache improving could be good for Tom.

Could take pressure off him and he can ease himself into the team, playing a lesser type role.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania

Could take pressure off him and he can ease himself into the team, playing a lesser type role.

We cant afford passengers if we're gonna press for finals again. He can play VFL until his contract runs out if playing AFL is too much pressure for him. Id rather play another small than have an extra tall so Tom can play "a lesser role", whatever that means.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With Trengove looking solid as first Ruck, English pushing hard and Schache looking best as a roaming, athletic CHF, surely Boyd's best position is to be the deep power forward.

He doesn't need to kick big bags or dominate games, but if he can provide contests and bring the ball to ground he can be an asset and play an important role

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
With Trengove looking solid as first Ruck, English pushing hard and Schache looking best as a roaming, athletic CHF, surely Boyd's best position is to be the deep power forward.

He doesn't need to kick big bags or dominate games, but if he can provide contests and bring the ball to ground he can be an asset and play an important role

If he kick the technique issue with his marking, he could be very effective as a deep forward.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania

How many key forwards who cant mark are considered useful? It seems like we set different standards for Boyd than anyone else. If we wanted a tall bloke parked in the goal square knocking the ball to ground we could have kept Minson on the list.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/08...d-relationship-with-bulldogs-coach-mccartney/
now that you mention adam cooney, i heard a replay of an interview on sen this morning describing the rupture between him and macca. the more you hear the players' versions, the clearer the picture becomes that macca was poor at personal relationships with many of the players. the job must have been too big for his boots. the interview was a replay and was really informative imo. 4 months old, though.

Last edited:

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors

absoultetely, boyd is still young. he might be injured, suffering from deppression still. be patient. the guy clearly has talent. should have been given the norm smith. there is much hope for him.

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

A resting ruck can play this role if needed with another small or medium forward, as scrag has said. Opposition teams would have a field day exiting our defensive 50 with Boyd and schache as permanent forwards. Just don't see two 199cm plus forwards with relatively poor mobility working in today's game. And a second ruck on the bench significantly limits our rotations.

Others point to successful teams playing two key forwards, such as eagles, hawks, dees, probably tigers. But their key forwards are much more mobile.

Do the rule changes allow for a schache / Boyd combination? Fairly big unknown at this point.

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Of course I was not being serious, just adding to the Scrag troll. Unless the "Elite" button is one of his nipples, I am holding out
hope that his sister goes alright and perhaps these new rules will give him some sort of benefit. I wanted to rookie draft the
leading goal kicker from the NEAFL Matthew Hammelmann and was shocked we upgraded Khamis before he has actually
played a game. The Hammelmann and Schache combination although hard to spell actually had me excited like a Jane Bunn
weather forecast.

Yes the thought of those two upfront is truly mouthwatering.

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

No doubt Boyd has probably suffered from expectations and not having a dominant first ruck or kpf at the club. And English and Schache improving possibly reduces the expectation on him. But at the same time their development increases the pressure on him to perform at a higher level, in order to get a game.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So our highest paid player still isnt training because of mental health? I know this is harsh but mate just retire if you can't do it.
I think with front loading of contacts etc. that Tommy's wage would have been surpassed by Bont now.
Nit-picking but I'll just put it out there...

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A resting ruck can play this role if needed with another small or medium forward, as scrag has said. Opposition teams would have a field day exiting our defensive 50 with Boyd and schache as permanent forwards. Just don't see two 199cm plus forwards with relatively poor mobility working in today's game. And a second ruck on the bench significantly limits our rotations.

Others point to successful teams playing two key forwards, such as eagles, hawks, dees, probably tigers. But their key forwards are much more mobile.

Do the rule changes allow for a schache / Boyd combination? Fairly big unknown at this point.
I think game style and quality of entries is the main factor in whether it can work or not. Honestly the difference youd get defensively overall out of two reasonably mobile talls and two slow talls would be so small you wouldnt notice it. Anyway shache is as mobile as any genuine key forward. More about the tank giving you the ability to keep pressing defensively rather than speed anyway. I dont care if JK etc is faster than Schache hes still not catching your average back flanker. So long as he can keep them honest it's fine and I see no reason Schache cant do that with a bit more or a match day tank and maybe a slight shift in mindset.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Not sure if serious? Personally haven't seen much apart from a few glimpses since the premiership.
a mate of mine reckons boyd hurt his leg playing with his dog. very stupid accident at home, so he says. he reckons the club are keeping a lid on it. he apparently tore a ligament, but not as bad as thought. he reckons he has pictures of it. we are all taking the piss on him and all laughing at him, but he reckons he has the pictures and he has the last laugh. not shown anything, because the pics belong to a mate of his and does not want to reveal until the club make an announcement. believe it or not. please do not shoot the messenger, ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back