Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Herald Sun had a SuperCoach article about the bargains to watch and here are our ones. It's the usual SuperCoach fluff but it should be of interest to some people

Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs) $180,300
At 185cm and 83kg, Smith is ready for senior footy and he’s exactly the type of player the Bulldogs love — he’s a hard runner who is quick, wins plenty of the ball, uses it well and is clean with his hands in contested situations. He has battled a sore Achilles but is expected to be OK by January, which puts him in the frame to impress during the JLT Series. Was ranked behind only Sam Walsh for disposals in the under-18 carnival. Watch this space.

Rhylee West (Western Bulldogs) $117,300
Calder Cannons coach Ross Smith says the son of Bulldogs champion Scott West is ready to play in his first season. “He’s a very mature 18-year-old,” Smith said of West, who averaged 19 disposals, six tackles and a goal in the TAC Cup this year. Smith likened tough onballer West to another hard nut Jack Viney — it’s worth noting he scored 117 SuperCoach points in his AFL debut.

Will Hayes (Western Bulldogs) $117,300
The Dogs have a long list of new faces so it’s hard to know what their starting 22 will look like but Hayes is ready to play if needed upon after winning Footscray’s best-and-fairest in the VFL this year. The 23-year-old midfielder averaged 26 disposals and 10 contested possessions a game and finished third in the comp for inside-50s.

Jordan Sweet (Western Bulldogs) $102,400
Another mature-age recruit, Sweet gets a chance at the Dogs at age 20 after a great season for North Adelaide in the SANFL. A versatile big man who can also play up forward, he’s a chance to get a game in a side with limited ruck options.

Ben Cavarra (Western Bulldogs) $117,300
One of the genuine feel-good stories of the draft after the Dogs called out his name at pick 45. The 22-year-old won a Morrish Medal in the VFL as a midfielder but switched to a small forward role for Werribee in the past two seasons, winning Williamstown’s goalkicking both years. Kicked 34 goals this year but has enough strings to his bow to still average 97 SuperCoach points a game.

Herald Sun had a SuperCoach article about the bargains to watch and here are our ones. It's the usual SuperCoach fluff but it should be of interest to some people
It's time for the SC/DT questions thread as we'll be getting enquiries soon. Mofra care to move these posts to a new thread? Cheers :)

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
a mate of mine reckons boyd hurt his leg playing with his dog. very stupid accident at home, so he says. he reckons the club are keeping a lid on it. he apparently tore a ligament, but not as bad as thought. he reckons he has pictures of it. we are all taking the piss on him and all laughing at him, but he reckons he has the pictures and he has the last laugh. not shown anything, because the pics belong to a mate of his and does not want to reveal until the club make an announcement. believe it or not. please do not shoot the messenger, ok.
That would make as much sense as the other stories being bandied around atm. Time will tell I guess. Personally I hope he comes good, as I'm sure we all do. Sooner rather than later would be nice given the salary he's been on.

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think game style and quality of entries is the main factor in whether it can work or not. Honestly the difference youd get defensively overall out of two reasonably mobile talls and two slow talls would be so small you wouldnt notice it. Anyway shache is as mobile as any genuine key forward. More about the tank giving you the ability to keep pressing defensively rather than speed anyway. I dont care if JK etc is faster than Schache hes still not catching your average back flanker. So long as he can keep them honest it's fine and I see no reason Schache cant do that with a bit more or a match day tank and maybe a slight shift in mindset.
Agree to disagree. I don't think schache is as mobile as Kennedy, Reiwoldt, Lynch, Hogan, Cameron and others. And I think that makes a big difference when you've got two who are less mobile than the kpd's in the front half.

Are you comfortable having a resting ruck permanently on the bench or you'd play two kpf and a resting ruck in f50 at times?

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agree to disagree. I don't think schache is as mobile as Kennedy, Reiwoldt, Lynch, Hogan, Cameron and others. And I think that makes a big difference when you've got two who are less mobile than the kpd's in the front half.

Are you comfortable having a resting ruck permanently on the bench or you'd play two kpf and a resting ruck in f50 at times?
Just one KPF, one fwd/ruck and a ruck. My preference for round one being Schache, Boyd, Trengove but with English pushing into either Boyd's or Trengoves spot very soon. I dont think that's oversized at allnpersonally

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just one KPF, one fwd/ruck and a ruck. My preference for round one being Schache, Boyd, Trengove but with English pushing into either Boyd's or Trengoves spot very soon. I dont think that's oversized at allnpersonally
We're in furious agreement then. Agree that's probably our best set up, if Boyd is fit mentally and physically. I read some of the earlier posts as suggestions to play Boyd in the f50 permanently with schache.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We're in furious agreement then. Agree that's probably our best set up, if Boyd is fit mentally and physically. I read some of the earlier posts as suggestions to play Boyd in the f50 permanently with schache.
yeah no way we play Schache, Boyd, a resting ruck and a ruck but I think that's why Boyd is valuable. Hes a good ruckman, theres probably not many better 2nd rucks going around, he just needs to start being valuable as a forward.

yeah no way we play Schache, Boyd, a resting ruck and a ruck but I think that's why Boyd is valuable. Hes a good ruckman, theres probably not many better 2nd rucks going around, he just needs to start being valuable as a forward.
The thing is because Roughy has been so ineffectual the past few seasons Boyd hasnt really been playing 2nd ruck role. He has pretty much been playing 1st ruck.
I dont think I can remember a game for the last few seasons where he has been allowed to just play as a forward. Any wonder he struggles to develop his forward craft.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!

Cavarra and Hayes will end up being the most valuable there, but need to monitor when they’re likely to play (reckon Cavarra is most set for rd 1). Smith isn’t great value to appreciate significantly, he may but not necessarily so not keen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back