What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, the costs of court time & coaching will mean it's not really an 'everybody' sport but that shouldn't mitigate against the entitled dickheads w seem to produce.

Pat Rafter is a mile away from the Tomics and Kyrios' of the world

Absolutely

I also think people forget how much of a brat Lleyton was and his arrogance still seeps out to this day.

Absolutely

I also think people forget how much of a brat Lleyton was and his arrogance still seeps out to this day.
Pat Cash had his moments too although I had a chat to him at a Datsun's gig and thought he was pretty decent (plus he was a Datsuns fan)

If Trengrove is our number 1 ruck this year.
We are bottom 4.
If English is our number one ruck we are at least mid range.
That is the comparision of a steady trooper
Versus an up and coming stallion.

If we are to be any chance at retaining English we need to be playing the young man. He is our long term future in the rick, back him up with Trekkers so we don't grind him into the ground.

But for the greater good let the boy loose!!

New match sim video put up on the Facebook page

The players I've noticed in white were Roarke Smith, Bailey Smith, Buku Khamis, Brad Lynch and Lin Jong. Plus I have a feeling either Cavarra or Lloyd was in white too (can't tell them apart from a distance).

Is it safe to assume the black team are our assumed Round 1 side, with the club wanting to build some cohesion in the match sims? All the senior boys were in black

The players I've noticed in white were Roarke Smith, Bailey Smith, Buku Khamis, Brad Lynch and Lin Jong. Plus I have a feeling either Cavarra or Lloyd was in white too (can't tell them apart from a distance).

Is it safe to assume the black team are our assumed Round 1 side, with the club wanting to build some cohesion in the match sims? All the senior boys were in black

Also looked like Will Hayes in black - really extrapolating now but could mean early debut is expected?

Jong's in white when the ball's being smothered and in black when Bont hands it off to Gowers. Cordy in black in the video and in white on one of the twitter pics. Schache and Williams in white in the video while Lipinski's in black. Not sure if you can read too much into it.

I heard Peter Gordon moaning on the radio about Nadal vs Djokovic, and wondering why anyone would want to watch those two again.

Then he goes on to say Serena Williams is the player he never wants to miss, and praise what an amazing "role model" she is.

I appreciate what this guy's done for the club, but goddamn he's an idiot.
Role model? Mole model. she is the definition of a peice of s**t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did look that way mostly. Hard to sure but think Schache and Wiiliams were in white tho?

great chat, last bit about Bailey Smith was very exciting to hear!!

Power, speed and skill is probably one of the best I've seen - that's a hell of a wrap from Bont.

Sounding like English will be playing this year too by that I reckon. If he's developed some forward craft on top of his rucking he's gotta play most weeks.

Bontempelli: Smith one to watch
Feb 15, 2019 12:14PM

The hype around first-year midfielder Bailey Smith is warranted, according to Western Bulldogs vice-captain Marcus Bontempelli.

Smith was taken by the Bulldogs with pick seven in last year’s NAB AFL Draft.

The 18-year-old had an interrupted start to his pre-season with an Achilles injury, but Bontempelli says the young gun has impressed as he’s integrated into the full program – both in terms of work ethic and some “eye-catching” skills.

“He’s a great athlete, his power, speed and his skill is right up there with probably one of the best I’ve seen in my five years at the football club,” Bontempelli told SEN Breakfast.

“He’s had some Achilles stuff that he’s been managing throughout the pre-season and he’s really getting close to being fully into the program.

“Some of the match simulation stuff is eye-catching.

“His bursts of speed away from the stoppage and the outside run is going to add a lot to our midfield and to our group, and that with a few of the other boys are going to look to potentially feature early, but we’ll wait and see.”

Bontempelli knows all about the pressure that comes from being a high draft pick – having gone at pick four in the 2013 draft.
Now 23, and having notched his 100th AFL game last season, the Bulldogs’ leader is keen to ensure there’s not too much pressure on their new recruit to perform immediately as he settles into the life of an AFL footballer.

“I’m always conscious of being able to protect those young sort of high draft picks because of the expectation,” Bontempelli said.

“I don’t think externally there’s as much, but internally, when you come in as a high draft pick, you put this expectation on yourself to deliver early and to be the player that everyone has wrapped up to be.

“He’s a committed young boy Bailey and we’re lucky to have him as the type of player he is, but also the lifestyle that he leads.”

Backing the Bulldog brand
Feb 15, 2019 4:23PM

Star midfielder Marcus Bontempelli doesn’t believe a change of plan is required for the Western Bulldogs to bounce back in 2019.

The 23-year-old says the Dogs will trust their process, as they look to build on their eight wins in 2018 and move up the ladder this year.

“There’s been no real overhaul to be honest,” Bontempelli told SEN Breakfast.

“I think we know that what we’ve done and what we’ve been able to do in the past has worked for us, and particularly we look at later in last season as a good case study for us.

In our last four games we were able to put a couple of wins together and I think our typical style that we’ve come to know ourselves when we play well is we’re good inside the contest, our hands are sharp and we move the ball with speed.

Bontempelli believes if the Dogs can fine-tune that plan, and get it right on game day, that they will be more than competitive.

“I think that will be the way we probably look again in this season coming and hopefully we’ll be able to cut teams up a little bit more than we were able to last year,” he said.

“I think you’ll see some speed in our ball movement, but also a recognition of when we’ve got to slow the ball movement and just rest and recharge the batteries so we can go again.”

It’s been a relatively smooth pre-season for Bontempelli, who will use the AFLX tournament next week as part of his road to round one.

He acknowledged that being able to string together high-quality, consistent training sessions through the pre-season had been important.

“It’s always nice when you can get a clean pre-season without too many issues or niggles or injuries, so most of it is probably just being able to be out there as much as I can,” he said.

“I feel like across the board, the group’s really attacked this pre-season well. Some of the training sessions and the volume of running and what not that we’ve been able to get in has been a real positive.

“I’m content and I’m positive about where the group sits now as we head closer and closer towards the season.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...s-west-coast-are-seventh-20190215-p50y21.html

Looks like we are screwed for the forseeable future.

Should be right by 2025 i reckon.

If you are paywall blocked then copy link into outline.com

I don't mind most of his analysis of the other teams.

And where is he wrong about this with us?

It is in the key positions that questions remain. While Aaron Naughton is going to develop into one of the AFL's leading defenders, the performance of Tom Boyd and Josh Schache in attack will likely determine whether the Bulldogs improve on 2018. If both have greater outputs then a higher ladder position can be expected but if they don't provide genuine scoring options then the Dogs are going to sit in a similar position to last year.[/quopte]

I don't mind most of his analysis of the other teams.

And where is he wrong about this with us?
A lot of it is spot on and an absolute indictment on our club tgattwo years after a flag with a young group we are in this spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back