What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

On the couch:

Based on current ladder positions, we have the hardest draw for the remainder of the year.

Pies, GWS and Cats have the easiest.

Not ideal
Some of our easier games were in the first five weeks - teams like Carlton and Gold Coast.

On the couch:

Based on current ladder positions, we have the hardest draw for the remainder of the year.

Pies, GWS and Cats have the easiest.

Not ideal
Pies, GWS and Cats are probably the best this year. You can throw a blanket over most of the rest so I’m not sure the draw is so important. We played Richmond at a good time, Carlton at a bad time. Form and momentum of teams over the season make the draw difficulty very hard to predict this year. How do we know how the Dockers will be going in round 19 when we play them again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WESTERN Bulldogs captain Easton Wood believes emerging forward Aaron Naughton will thrive in the spotlight after a standout performance against Richmond.

The 19-year-old key target kicked five goals and joined rarefied air with nine contested marks – only North Melbourne champion Wayne Carey has taken more in a game (10) since the statistic was recorded in 1999.

Wood says the talented big man has the scope to be dominant on a regular basis.

"Well the sky's the limit, isn't it? When you're 19 (years old) and you're taking nine contested marks in a game that bodes pretty well for the future," Wood said on Tuesday at a community day with Christ The King Primary School in Braybrook.

"Obviously you can't forecast an explosion like that."

"Something that has been consistent with him ever since he's been up forward is his ability and his timing with his contested marking. He's got some really sticky mitts on him (and) it's great to see him put it all together."

WHO MAKES FINALS? Do the 2019 Ladder Predictor

The Tigers had no answers for Naughton, particularly in the absence of Alex Rance and David Astbury. While Wood expects every club to be doing its homework on how to combat the Dogs' forward, his character suggests it won't affect his approach.

"He (Naughton) is casual as. He's laid back (and) got a little bit of swagger about him which you like, particularly in a key forward," Wood said.

"He's got a little bit of that peacock mentality, which is great."

"He's obviously going to get a lot of attention now. He's going to be getting the number-one defender every week which is a challenge in itself.

"Teams will go to work on what his strengths are. As a group we've got to be able to help him."

AFL

@AFL

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1124653029758648323

What a night for Aaron Naughton!

Enjoy all of the star Dog's marks from a memorable performance. #AFLDogsTigers

10:32 PM - May 4, 2019

37 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Moving Naughton from the back half to the forward line has already borne fruit, but it had an impact on Wood's own role early in the season. The experienced defender was out of his comfort zone and credits a recent inclusion for recent improvement.

"It's been a different start to the year for me playing as a deeper defender. Obviously with Dale (Morris) going out of the side and Aaron (Naughton) heading up forward that kind of left me as a key post," he said.

"It's not something I've done in my career before and I probably wasn't expecting it to be as big a challenge as it probably was early in the year. But the addition of Jackson Trengove coming back in the side has probably let me go a little higher and play more of my natural game."

The Western Bulldogs Youtube channel has been busy this week uploading everything including Sunday gameday and Sunday footy show. If only they can upload footage with radio calls then that would be great. Anyways I hope the media team keep this up.

Unfortunately Barrett is going to ignore any on field performance to jump on the alleged calls of umpire abuse by bevo in his son's VAFA match. But what else do you expect of a worm like him.

Anyone get past that Heraldsun paywall for the article about the VAFA and Beveridge?

His son got hurt. He walked on the ground to see if he was ok at quarter time and made a comment to umpires about protecting the ball carrier. Umps have said he was very polite and no issue at all. Nothing piece.

Anyone get past that Heraldsun paywall for the article about the VAFA and Beveridge?

Slow news day. It was a fluff piece & umpire interviewed said Bev didn't say anything except protect the player with the ball (it was the 2nd time in a couple of weeks his son got a heavy knock).

From the umpires: "“They told me Luke said, ‘That’s my boy, that’s twice in two weeks he’s gone down, make sure you’re protecting the ball player’. That’s all he said, protect the ball player. There was no heated confrontation or discussion or anything like that. He did what any concerned parent would do, in my view."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back