What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how Footy has changed since then. Scored over 100 points 11 times ( twice 160+) in 1980 yet only won 4 games ( but no wooden spoon) , losing 3 games by over 100 points. Imagine the Game Day threads on Big Footy back then
emoji1787.png
"Sack the coach", "absolute spud", "delist player"... much like today's game day threads :p

Luke Hodge has to have the most boring voice known to man. I don’t care how good a player you are, surely a modicum of human emotion is required to be a commentator.

Isn't it funny how the Hun likes to write about all our ex players? They never got this attention at the Dogs.

Herald Sun

May 12, 2019

Dahlhaus: It will be tough facing Libba, Dogs

Ben Broad

JAY CLARK reports…
Luke Dahlhaus has labelled Tom Liberatore the best clearance player he has seen as the former Western Bulldog prepares to meet his old team for the first time.
Dahlhaus said it would be “difficult” coming up against many of his premiership teammates after leaving the kennel last year to join Geelong under free agency rules.
Liberatore, who had to fight for a one-year contract extension last year, has rediscovered some of his best form this season and Dahlhaus said he was thrilled for his mate, given the uncertainty he faced last year.
“It was a worrying time. Both of us didn’t know what we were going to do at one point,” Dahlhaus said.
“But I’m absolutely rapt for him, that he is doing so well, and you can see it in his face, the way he is playing this year.
[https://heraldsunnewscorpau]
“He has always been a star. I just think he needs to believe in himself sometimes.
“But it looks like he has got his confidence back and I love seeing when the ball is bounced and he’s in the middle, because that’s where he plays his best.
“He is the best clearance player I’ve come across and I’ve seen a lot. I love watching him at the stoppages.”
Dahlhaus said he still speaks to many of his former teammates, including Liberatore, “quite frequently”, as the two clubs prepare to lock horns at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday.
“I feel like it will be difficult playing against them,” he said.
“I basically grew up with them, so it will be hard.
“But it will be just like anything, like the Grand Final where you get so nervous in the build-up, but when the siren goes you get on with playing, and you stop actually thinking about it.
“But it probably helps playing them down here. I’ll probably feel a little bit more comfortable.
“I think I’ll be fine, but it will be different.”

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

In today's HUN...

"...while nothing got past MASON Wood and Hayden Crozier."

Obviously being a premiership captain is not enough of a memory-jogger for Scott Gullan...
They went with "Bulldogs Breath of Fresh Air" as headline :think:

JOSH Dunkley, the midfielder, returned with a vengeance in the past fortnight.

Video-game numbers of 35.5 disposals (18.5 contested), eight clearances, eight tackles, eight score involvements and five inside 50s make for a stunning return for the Western Bulldogs.

The 22-year-old was a distant sixth at the club for centre attendances this year in the first six rounds, but superstar Marcus Bontempelli is the sole Dog with more in the ensuing games (33-32).

Fifteen AFL Players' Association votes in the same span further highlights Dunkley's top-notch contribution.

NINE THINGS WE LEARNED Dons face another wasted season

The numbers are reminiscent of what he produced in the final nine rounds last season, when coach Luke Beveridge unleashed him as an onballer.

Dunkley spent a month out of the side after round nine, had a 15-possession 'sighter' in his senior return, then went on a rampage until the end of the season in averaging 28.8 disposals.

That withering finish seemed to have him primed for a monster 2019 campaign, but it's not that simple at the Kennel.

Beveridge boasts one of the AFL's deepest midfield units, including Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter, Mitch Wallis, Toby McLean and, of course, Dunkley.

Top-10 draftee Bailey Smith has added to that rotation this season, too.

In particular, Liberatore's return from a knee reconstruction and strong early-season form complicated the situation for Dunkley, because there are only so many minutes to go around.

STATS FILES Star mid who's sparked the Dogs' revival

It meant Dunkley was shuffled back to mostly forward duties, where his knack for finding the Sherrin was still apparent – but his goalkicking inaccuracy feeds the Dogs' club-wide issue.

McLean, Saint Blake Acres, Geelong's Gary Ablett and Giant Matt de Boer join Dunkley as the only footballers with close to a 50-50 split of forward and midfield time since the start of last year.

Dunkley ranks second League-wide for possessions and tackles per 100 minutes in attack this season, first for clearances and fourth for groundball-gets.

However, Dunkley's career shot-at-goal accuracy is just 34.5 per cent, which is only marginally better at 36.4 per cent in 2019.

AFL

Dunkley on the left! #AFLDogsSuns
See AFL's other Tweets
Twitter Ads info and privacy

The Gippsland Power product's kicking in general was questioned ahead of the 2015 draft and was a black mark in his early seasons in the AFL, but this is another area he has dramatically improved.

Champion Data's kick rating, which factors in the difficulty of each attempt, sums up Dunkley's development.

A positive result means the player is successfully executing their kicks more often than an average footballer is expected to – and vice versa.

Dunkley's per-100 minutes statistics as a midfielder are also eye-popping.

He is eighth in the competition for disposals, second for contested possessions, intercept possessions and intercept marks (behind Nat Fyfe) and fourth for groundball-gets.

Over to you, Bevo.

Isn't it funny how the Hun likes to write about all our ex players? They never got this attention at the Dogs.

Herald Sun

May 12, 2019

Dahlhaus: It will be tough facing Libba, Dogs

Ben Broad

JAY CLARK reports…
Luke Dahlhaus has labelled Tom Liberatore the best clearance player he has seen as the former Western Bulldog prepares to meet his old team for the first time.
Dahlhaus said it would be “difficult” coming up against many of his premiership teammates after leaving the kennel last year to join Geelong under free agency rules.
Liberatore, who had to fight for a one-year contract extension last year, has rediscovered some of his best form this season and Dahlhaus said he was thrilled for his mate, given the uncertainty he faced last year.
“It was a worrying time. Both of us didn’t know what we were going to do at one point,” Dahlhaus said.
“But I’m absolutely rapt for him, that he is doing so well, and you can see it in his face, the way he is playing this year.
[https://heraldsunnewscorpau]
“He has always been a star. I just think he needs to believe in himself sometimes.
“But it looks like he has got his confidence back and I love seeing when the ball is bounced and he’s in the middle, because that’s where he plays his best.
“He is the best clearance player I’ve come across and I’ve seen a lot. I love watching him at the stoppages.”
Dahlhaus said he still speaks to many of his former teammates, including Liberatore, “quite frequently”, as the two clubs prepare to lock horns at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday.
“I feel like it will be difficult playing against them,” he said.
“I basically grew up with them, so it will be hard.
“But it will be just like anything, like the Grand Final where you get so nervous in the build-up, but when the siren goes you get on with playing, and you stop actually thinking about it.
“But it probably helps playing them down here. I’ll probably feel a little bit more comfortable.
“I think I’ll be fine, but it will be different.”

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Wait until he plays us at Marvel. Suspect he will get the same treatment as Stringer.

Pat least it won't be as bad as what we gave Griffen though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait until he plays us at Marvel. Suspect he will get the same treatment as Stringer.

Pat least it won't be as bad as what we gave Griffen though.
Anyone who boo’d/boo’s Stringer needs to have a look at themself. There’s a difference between walking out on the club like Griffen and Dahl, and someone being kicked out and used as a scapegoat. Stringer never wanted to leave the club until he was treated like **** and had no choice but to leave.

Anyone who boo’d/boo’s Stringer needs to have a look at themself. There’s a difference between walking out on the club like Griffen and Dahl, and someone being kicked out and used as a scapegoat. Stringer never wanted to leave the club until he was treated like **** and had no choice but to leave.
Interesting take...

He was pushed out by the coaches AND players due to his own shitty actions. If he hadn’t been an outright dickhead then he’d still be a dog. And we can boo him for that.
So we have a no dickhead policy now? Your boo’ing a player because his team mates think he’s a dickhead? AND I know for a fact there was many of his team mates who thought the situation wasn’t as bad as we were all led to believe.

Why does booing hold such a value?? I like to savour a good boo. He’s certainly not in the same realm as someone who left voluntarily, I’ll warrant that. There are indeed few who deserve the boo less (Callan Ward is one).

In any case, he was clearly being a dickhead and most of the players voted him out. This is a known fact.

Boooooooooooooooooo

Was he treated as s**t as he treated his pregnant partner who happened to be good friends with a number of our players?

Poor innocent Jake

So we have a no dickhead policy now? Your boo’ing a player because his team mates think he’s a dickhead? AND I know for a fact there was many of his team mates who thought the situation wasn’t as bad as we were all led to believe.
Suppose Carey was kicked out of North only because of the no dickhead policy too hey

His ex best mate said otherwise. I heard it come out of his mouth.

Having a good look at myself right now - I like what I see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back