What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter Gordon details how the Tom Boyd trade to the Western Bulldogs came about
Michael Warner, Herald Sun
6 minutes ago
Subscriber only

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon says Tom Boyd’s2016 preliminary final heroics paved the way for “the magic of the next week”.

Boyd was thrust into the ruck early in the Dogs’ epic six-point victory against Greater Western Sydney after Jordan Roughead went down with an eye injury.
“In one sense, Tom’s time kind of began at around quarter time in the preliminary final when Roughy hurt his eye and he had to ruck for the last three quarters against (Rory) Lobb and (Shane) Mumford,” Gordon reflected.

“At that stage we were staring — in an away game — at our eighth consecutive preliminary final loss, and we hadn’t made a Grand Final in 55 years.
“It’s fair to say that but for his contribution that night we probably would have lost and the magic of the next week would never have happened — and, of course, everyone remembers his performance on that day.

“His place in Bulldog history will forever be a great one.
“I’m just really hopeful and optimistic he’ll move on to bigger and better things now, because he’s a quality human being.”
Gordon first met Boyd at his Hawthorn home “three or four days” after Bulldogs skipper Ryan Griffen sensational requested a trade to the Giants in October 2014.
“ (Ex-Dogs chief executive) Simon Garlick and I had met with (Boyd’s manager) Liam Pickering about players we might be able to recruit several months earlier and Tom’s name had come up,” Gordon said.
cfbfa66f21c93505dbc0fe4d27621803
Tom Boyd celebrates after playing in his first win with the Western Bulldogs. Picture: Michael Klein
“Pickering had said to us; ‘Look, there’s a queue a mile long for Tom Boyd. Every club in the competition has enquired about him, wants him and the price tag will be pretty big … but you might want to think laterally — I know that (Giants coach) Leon Cameron is interested in Ryan Griffen and if you were prepared to be bold about it, if you are prepared to put your captain on the trade table, maybe a deal could be done’.
“We scotched it straight away and said: ‘We don’t trade our captain’ … but then when the captain came to us and said, ‘I’m out of here’ we were obviously in shock … but then it dawned on Simon and I at around about the same time that, ‘Hang on, maybe there’s this opportunity’.
“I remember having discussions about whether we should contact Liam Pickering or whether we should wait and hold our nerve and see whether he contacted us and I think he actually contacted Simon.”
Boyd’s monster seven-year $7 million deal was thrashed out at Gordon’s mansion that weekend.
8ed10f583a2d3c4a9f43ddae11759037
A young Tom Boyd in action for the Giants. Picture: Phil Hillyard
“I’ve got a massive amount of time and respect for Tom,” Gordon said.
“I’ve got mixed emotions today, but more than anything I feel good for him. This is a decision that he’s made and he’s made it with a great deal of consideration and support from his family and friends.
“I feel it will be a relief for him. He’s 23-years-old and he’s got his whole life in front of him, but his contribution, especially in that September finals series, is up there on the big screen and for all eternity for people to look at.”

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC

Damien Barrett is a gutless coward with no honour, ethics or morals and the AFL should be very mindful of the direct relationship they have with him, in the event Boyd were to pursue a lawsuit for harassment related to his depression....

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’ll still boo stringer. He’s just such a deadshit

It always felt uncomfortable having such a FIGJAM looks like tarzan, plays like jane in the side. Mentally fragile, and on a pound for pound basis, would have to be one of the most timid in the AFL.

Pick 5, but hes a quarter the player he should be, which is why we dont miss him so much. Lets hope it stays that way.

Just caught the absolute tail end of Barrett defending himself on MMM.

"I don't care enough about Luke Beveridge to care what he thinks".

He (Boyd) was on a 7 year $7m contract and I've been nothing but fair in analysing his performance. When the depression issues were raised I backed off.

The Buck

All Australian
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just caught the absolute tail end of Barrett defending himself on MMM.

"I don't care enough about Luke Beveridge to care what he thinks".

He (Boyd) was on a 7 year $7m contract and I've been nothing but fair in analysing his performance. When the depression issues were raised I backed off.

Meaning, "I'm s**t scared of Bevo and don't dare to respond," and, "I admit to lighting the fire but backed off when it really started to blaze."

What a cowardly, pusillanimous little toe rag.

I don't like Barrett as much as the next guy. But it's kind of ironic that people are essentially doing to him, exactly what he was doing to Boyd.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
I don't like Barrett as much as the next guy. But it's kind of ironic that people are essentially doing to him, exactly what he was doing to Boyd.

Doing to him?!? Boyd was just a 19-21 year old bloke when Barrett was his most rabid. Boyd was a young bloke who was vulnerable and in an impossible situation and Barrett stuck the boots in about his character, and clearly enjoyed it (due to his issues with Bevo from end 2015 largely). It was disgusting. Barrett is accountable for his actions and we are holding him as such. It couldn’t be more different.

And what’s worse he thrives off this. He’s also a middle aged man who knows exactly what he is doing. He deserves all he gets from us and more.

Last edited:

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That’s bollocks mate.

Barrett decided to get stuck into a young man who had done nothing but try play his best footy.

We are sticking the boot into a man who is not an innocent victim. He is an individual who has made a living out of being a twat. If that’s how you’re going to live your life then don’t be surprised when you get it back.

adammonerz

Senior List
May 31, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea
He deserves it he constantly shat on this kid his whole time at the dogs, implied the club was covering up something when he dislocated his finger after Boyd had came out about his mental health issues, consistently mentioned his contract, consistently took pot shots at him nearly every week. Damo has a lot to answer for here and I'm glad Bevo called him out on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back