What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
SEN reporting we’re going after Isaac Smith and Jack Martin at years end.

Great players and would add to the team but we are so bereft of forwards and tall backs that has to be our no 1. Priority. Just don’t understand.
Jack Martin, yes, yes, yes. Not interested in Smith.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
SEN reporting we’re going after Isaac Smith and Jack Martin at years end.

Great players and would add to the team but we are so bereft of forwards and tall backs that has to be our no 1. Priority. Just don’t understand.
Jack Martin playing on a flank would honestly be incredible for our forward line, so I'd say we're addressing that point. We've also been linked to Adam Tomlinson in the last few days (although there's rumours saying he intends on re-signing). That's a speedy/classy half forward and a quick KPD. Plenty to be positive about

godoggies15

Team Captain
Nov 11, 2014
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bulldogs' hit list: Smith and Martin in their sights
The cashed up Western Bulldogs have put together a hit list for this year’s trade period, with triple premiership Hawk Isaac Smith and prodigious Gold Coast talent Jack Martin at the top of it.
The Bulldogs already had some free salary cap space going into next season, but the early retirement of Tom Boyd means the club will have upwards of $1.5 million to spend.
Armed with significant space in their cap and with the luxury of both their first and second round picks for this year’s draft in their arsenal, the Bulldogs have identified a need for outside run and class in front of goal to take them to the next level.
Smith, contracted until the end of 2020, is a favourite of Luke Beveridge’s. Their relationship blossomed when Beveridge was an assistant coach under Alastair Clarkson.
Beveridge arrived at Hawthorn in 2012, a year after Smith and they spent three years together.
Beveridge believes Smith is still the best wingman in the competition.
The Age understands the Bulldogs have enquired about Smith in previous years but Smith’s management told the club he had no interest in leaving Hawthorn.
But several things have changed at Waverley since then. The list profile at the Hawks has changed significantly and Clarkson has shown his ability to be ruthless for the long term benefit of the club.
Decorated players Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge and Jordan Lewis were all encouraged to find new clubs to finish their careers, while another former captain in Jarryd Roughead is fighting for his career in the VFL.

Smith will be 31 at the start of next season, although he was a late bloomer at senior level. He didn't make his AFL debut until he was 22.
Martin is another player the Bulldogs have kept a close watch on for some time.
The club was close to taking him as a junior before he was pre-listed as a 17 year old in 2013.
Martin, who was of significant interest to Essendon during last year’s trade period, is out of contract at the end of this year.

Essendon’s interest has not dropped off, but the Bombers would find it difficult to get the deal done given they had to give two first round draft picks to secure the services of Dylan Shiel last year.
As reported by The Age earlier this year, the Bulldogs will have to contend with Carlton over Martin, with the Blues set to be a major player in the race for the West Australian.
Martin is a peculiar case when assessing his worth to another club.

The Claremont product has played 91 games in his five-and-a-half seasons at the Suns, averaging 16 disposals and less than a goal a game.

He’s had 30 disposals in a game just once in his career, and has amassed only one Brownlow vote.
Having picked well in the last four national drafts, the Bulldogs now believe they need to add experienced players to their list to complement their young talent.
Since 2015, the Dogs have had five first round picks; selecting Josh Dunkley, Tim English, Aaron Naughton, Ed Richards and Bailey Smith.
All five played in Saturday’s loss to North Melbourne and the club believes all will prove to be long-term prospects.
But the need for outside run and goal sense – along with more key position players – is at the top of the priority list for the Bulldogs’ recruiting department.

They were close in the race for Port Adelaide’s Chad Wingard but were ultimately usurped by the Hawks, largely because of Clarkson’s existing relationship with him.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...d-martin-in-their-sights-20190528-p51s37.html

redmania

Senior List
Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Smith...no thanks..would only consider for a late 3rd. If they want more I'd tell em.to jog on.and stay where he is.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So martins stats are pretty average and he should really be in his prime at 24.

How much do you want to pay for a 20 disposal , 1 goal a game forward?

Make sense of this for me

He’s almost playing as the suns starting mid, playing inside also. He wouldn’t need to do that with us. Purely outside with stints up fwd. has great skills and moves well. Is a good fit.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So martins stats are pretty average and he should really be in his prime at 24.

How much do you want to pay for a 20 disposal , 1 goal a game forward?

Make sense of this for me

He’s vaguely decent at most things without being particularly good at anything. The ideal Bev player.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Great news.

HAWTHORN star Isaac Smith has laughed off reports that he will be targeted by the Western Bulldogs, insisting he will stay with the Hawks.

According to The Age, the Hawthorn vice-captain and Gold Coast star Jack Martin head the cashed-up Bulldogs' hit-list, with Smith's close relationship with Dogs coach Luke Beveridge, previously an assistant coach at Hawthorn, seen to be critical.

However, the pacy, long-kicking wingman, 30, is committed to fulfilling his contract with Hawthorn, to whom he is tied until the end of 2020

Find AFL Exchange on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and Spotify.

"I had a bit of a laugh, really," Smith told RSN radio on Wednesday morning.

"I haven't heard anything about it.

"I'm sure every team out there has players that they want to try and get at the end of the year. That certainly has nothing to do with the player or individual involved.

"I haven't even thought about ringing my manager about it. I don't really see it as a big deal, really. It's rumour and innuendo, and I've got nothing to do with it.

"I'm sure I'll have a joke about it with 'Clarko' (Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson) at some stage.

"I'm happy at Hawthorn. I'm contracted at Hawthorn to the end of next year so I want to stay at Hawthorn."

Smith is hoping to return in the big clash with Brisbane at the Gabba on Saturday night after being sidelined for three weeks with a foot injury.

"I trained well yesterday (and) pulled up well this morning. Hopefully I'll be able to play this weekend," he said.

"It was the first game I've missed in five years so (it has been) a little bit different but, in saying that, it was quite nice to just have a couple of weeks off in the middle of the season and just reset myself and reset my mental state to attack the second half of the year."

Great news.

HAWTHORN star Isaac Smith has laughed off reports that he will be targeted by the Western Bulldogs, insisting he will stay with the Hawks.

According to The Age, the Hawthorn vice-captain and Gold Coast star Jack Martin head the cashed-up Bulldogs' hit-list, with Smith's close relationship with Dogs coach Luke Beveridge, previously an assistant coach at Hawthorn, seen to be critical.

However, the pacy, long-kicking wingman, 30, is committed to fulfilling his contract with Hawthorn, to whom he is tied until the end of 2020

Find AFL Exchange on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and Spotify.

"I had a bit of a laugh, really," Smith told RSN radio on Wednesday morning.

"I haven't heard anything about it.

"I'm sure every team out there has players that they want to try and get at the end of the year. That certainly has nothing to do with the player or individual involved.

"I haven't even thought about ringing my manager about it. I don't really see it as a big deal, really. It's rumour and innuendo, and I've got nothing to do with it.

"I'm sure I'll have a joke about it with 'Clarko' (Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson) at some stage.

"I'm happy at Hawthorn. I'm contracted at Hawthorn to the end of next year so I want to stay at Hawthorn."

Smith is hoping to return in the big clash with Brisbane at the Gabba on Saturday night after being sidelined for three weeks with a foot injury.

"I trained well yesterday (and) pulled up well this morning. Hopefully I'll be able to play this weekend," he said.

"It was the first game I've missed in five years so (it has been) a little bit different but, in saying that, it was quite nice to just have a couple of weeks off in the middle of the season and just reset myself and reset my mental state to attack the second half of the year."

Must admit I laughed, too.

Journalism 101: if there's nothing happening, make something up...

Agree. Article uses his close relationship with Bev as a factor. I would love to know how often they have spoken since Bev left Hawthorn. Im guessing close to zero.

He is very good mates with Suckers - although that doesn't hold much weight either.

"Hailing from Wagga Wagga, Suckling played football with Isaac Smith in the Wagga Hawks for several years before both moved to the Wagga Tigers where they won two premierships"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ThirdLegUp

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Isn't it expected that players will deny all mid season trade speculation
i don't know why the media even bothers... well ok i do, they have to do something to justify their existence, but it's a worthless article. Smith was hardly going to come out and say. "* yeah, just get me there!"

And he knows exactly who his manager is speaking to and when and why. It's part of having a manager.

"I had a bit of a laugh, really," Smith told RSN radio

nice one Mr smith, the last time you did that you lost your team a final which ended with a hungry Bulldog.

Must admit I laughed, too.

Journalism 101: if there's nothing happening, make something up...

Get used to it. This was always going to be our reality when Boyd walked from his hefty contract leaving us with something of a war chest for Free Agents.

If these hacks can construct even the most tangental of connections between us and a player (Bevo/Smith at Hawthorn. or our interest in martin during his draft year) its off to the races and publish. It reminds me of good old days when we were connected to anybody over 190cm who had even contemplated entering the forward fifty during their career.

That is Journalism 101.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
i don't know why the media even bothers... well ok i do, they have to do something to justify their existence, but it's a worthless article. Smith was hardly going to come out and say. "**** yeah, just get me there!"

And he knows exactly who his manager is speaking to and when and why. It's part of having a manager.

"I had a bit of a laugh, really," Smith told RSN radio

nice one Mr smith, the last time you did that you lost your team a final which ended with a hungry Bulldog.
I'm definitely not supporting McClure here. He is a major part of the toxic media culture around our game. The moron does get good info though.

Rockford18sx2

Team Captain
Apr 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Word on SEN this afternoon was that Morris is playing for Footscray this weekend. Haven't seen this posted anywhere and not sure if true. The Doc stated that Morris gave nothing away when he was in the studio the other day, so was surprised to hear the news.

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He is very good mates with Suckers - although that doesn't hold much weight either.

"Hailing from Wagga Wagga, Suckling played football with Isaac Smith in the Wagga Hawks for several years before both moved to the Wagga Tigers where they won two premierships"
Not having a crack, but are they good mates 2019 or 2014?

Good mates can be interpreted in different ways i suppose.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He’s almost playing as the suns starting mid, playing inside also. He wouldn’t need to do that with us. Purely outside with stints up fwd. has great skills and moves well. Is a good fit.

having contested skills is a great asset for an outside player - means they are harder to shut down. But outside players need to be prolific or absolutely deadly.

Not having a crack, but are they good mates 2019 or 2014?

Good mates can be interpreted in different ways i suppose.

I don't know the answer to how close they are now; and as I stated it doesn't carry much weight anyway

all I know is Suckers, Smith and Bruest have been pretty good mates for quite a while and from before the Hawthorn days.

BarryMorgan

Premiership Player
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Definitely no axe to grind here from
Damo. Nup. None.

Damian Barrett says at least two coaches will be feeling the pressure, following the sacking of Brendon Bolton and Brad Scott within 10 days.
As pressure mounts on the underperforming clubs, Barrett believes St Kilda’s Alan Richardson and Essendon coach John Worsfold won’t remain at their respective clubs next season.
Craig Hutchison expects Ross Lyon to honour his contract at Fremantle, with John Longmire likely to resist overtures at North Melbourne to remain at Sydney.

BARRETT ON BOLTON How the Blues coach's demise unfolded
But Luke Beveridge, who helped orchestrate a drought-breaking premiership in 2016, has enough "coupons" to secure his immediate future, despite the Bulldogs being on the verge to becoming the first team in the modern era to miss three consecutive finals following a flag.
"If that club was to be serious, it would be asking itself a lot of questions at the moment," Barrett said.

Definitely no axe to grind here from
Damo. Nup. None.

Damian Barrett says at least two coaches will be feeling the pressure, following the sacking of Brendon Bolton and Brad Scott within 10 days.
As pressure mounts on the underperforming clubs, Barrett believes St Kilda’s Alan Richardson and Essendon coach John Worsfold won’t remain at their respective clubs next season.
Craig Hutchison expects Ross Lyon to honour his contract at Fremantle, with John Longmire likely to resist overtures at North Melbourne to remain at Sydney.

BARRETT ON BOLTON How the Blues coach's demise unfolded
But Luke Beveridge, who helped orchestrate a drought-breaking premiership in 2016, has enough "coupons" to secure his immediate future, despite the Bulldogs being on the verge to becoming the first team in the modern era to miss three consecutive finals following a flag.
"If that club was to be serious, it would be asking itself a lot of questions at the moment," Barrett said.
We deserve some heat. This is only warmish so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back