What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely no axe to grind here from
Damo. Nup. None.

Damian Barrett says at least two coaches will be feeling the pressure, following the sacking of Brendon Bolton and Brad Scott within 10 days.
As pressure mounts on the underperforming clubs, Barrett believes St Kilda’s Alan Richardson and Essendon coach John Worsfold won’t remain at their respective clubs next season.
Craig Hutchison expects Ross Lyon to honour his contract at Fremantle, with John Longmire likely to resist overtures at North Melbourne to remain at Sydney.

BARRETT ON BOLTON How the Blues coach's demise unfolded
But Luke Beveridge, who helped orchestrate a drought-breaking premiership in 2016, has enough "coupons" to secure his immediate future, despite the Bulldogs being on the verge to becoming the first team in the modern era to miss three consecutive finals following a flag.
"If that club was to be serious, it would be asking itself a lot of questions at the moment," Barrett said.
don't mind that criticism. we have been following the same coaching philosophy with the same group of coaches and results are poor. fresh ideas needed badly and going after kpp a must.

Now that we've got the coaching merry go round starting, typically none of our assistants rate a mention. The one coach we did have whose name was brought up as a potential senior coach was Brent Montgomery and then he vanished off the cliff face. Does anyone know the real story there? The whole thing was bizarre.

Now that we've got the coaching merry go round starting, typically none of our assistants rate a mention. The one coach we did have whose name was brought up as a potential senior coach was Brent Montgomery and then he vanished off the cliff face. Does anyone know the real story there? The whole thing was bizarre.
It was incorrectly sold here as being - He disagreed with Bev so was shown the door. Pretty sure that's what started the whole Bev is arrogant and can't hear anyone elses opinions rubbish.

It was incorrectly sold here as being - He disagreed with Bev so was shown the door. Pretty sure that's what started the whole Bev is arrogant and can't hear anyone elses opinions rubbish.

It's common knowledge that anyone who leaves must have hated bevo because why else would someone want to leave the magnificent Western Bulldogs Football Club

How bogus is the whole Bevo doesn't listen to anyone line? As you said absolute rubbish.

I found this quote from early 2015 when Bevo was asked what makes Clarko so good - "He doesn't think he's got all the answers. His greatest strength is his ability to draw things from other people, players and coaches, that add value."

Why would a man who admires this quality so much act completely opposite? It makes no sense.

NEWS

Collingwood’s Jordan Roughead flourishing for Pies after ‘staleness’ forced old Dog to find new home

As Jordan Roughead relishes a new environment, Western Bulldogs fans are still struggling to work out how easily he was let go. The Pie recruit tells Scott Gullan why he had to leave Whitten Oval.

Scott Gullan, Herald Sun

Premiership star moves to the biggest club in town and becomes the key to its defence. And still no-one recognises him.

This is the scenario which Jordan Roughead confronts daily ... and he loves it.
The Collingwood fullback lives around the corner from his new home at the Holden Centrein the middle of Melbourne's sporting precinct and can come and go as he pleases.

"I don't get recognised and I love it," Roughead says. "I put the glasses on and I become invisible which is nice."
He then jokes: "I think it helps that you don't get a kick also."
It's not how many kicks Roughead gets which matters, it's how few his opponents have been getting this season which has quickly seen him become a favourite of the Collingwood army.
This was highlighted back in Round 10 when he stood Sydney star Lance Franklin and kept him to six touches.

"To be honest I was probably lucky to get him in his first game back and he was looking for some match fitness," he says.
"I'd actually spent a half on him in a NAB Cup game back in about 2012 and he kicked three or four that day so at least it went better this time."
The sight of Roughead, 28, holding together Collingwood's back half is a weekly dagger in the heart of Western Bulldogs fans who still struggle to work out how easily he was let go.
He became a Magpie in exchange for a fourth-round selection, No. 78, in last year's draft which the Dogs used to select VFL player Will Hayes.

Given the Dogs lack of tall defenders it's certainly a head scratcher, but the man himself is adamant he's a different person and player to the one who was wallowing in the VFL last year which accelerated his exit from the Whitten Oval.
"I put a lot of it down to the change of environment," Roughead explains.
"I think there is a bit of desire to prove that last year ... it was almost like my career was winding down and that I wasn't going to spend much more time in the game.

"There is a desire, whether it is to prove people wrong or show that you're still capable of playing the best game in Australia at the highest level."
So how do you go from playing a crucial role in the Bulldogs 2016 premiership victory to staring at the scrap heap two years later?
"I think there are multiple reasons," he says after a long pause. "I honestly genuinely believe a lot of it was the staleness of getting in the car every morning and driving over the West Gate Bridge to the only place that I have ever worked.
"I got drafted to the Bulldogs when I'd just turned 18, I was coming up 28 and hadn't had a different perspective. I'd had the same coach or coaches for five years and I just needed a refresher.
"I needed some different opinions and different perspectives to develop me as a person as much as a footballer.
"There were probably three or four conversations and moments throughout last year and I made the decision midway through to start looking for a new home.

"It had got to the point where it probably would have been not play, over playing for the Bulldogs, so I knew that I needed a fresh look at it and a clean slate to start again.
"I still had the belief. I still believed in myself and my ability. I knew that with players and coaches around me that believed in me then I would be able to get out there and play some good footy."
It wasn't the first time his faith had been tested and when his premiership teammate Tom Boyd's sad fall from grace is brought up, Roughead reveals he'd experienced mental health battles earlier in his career.
"Mental health is a huge problem in the game. I think it is one of the biggest challenges the game faces going forward, to keep players in the game and maintain their passion and love of the game because it is something that can be extinguished pretty quickly.
"I had some anxiety and mental health challenges of my own through 2014-15. I just got in a hole from injury, form, expectation on myself and other people.

"There were a multitude of factors, I was probably too focused on football at that point in my life. I needed some things outside of footy whether it was mates or investing in my studies, whatever it was to distract myself from football.
"I learnt a lot about myself through that time, I worked with a sports psych to, I guess, become more resilient and understand what makes me tick and how to help myself when I experience some challenges.
"Last year I looked at footy as a great opportunity when I was playing VFL footy to help the guys that were going to have long careers in the AFL who were in that VFL team.
"As much as it was a challenge for me, it was great because it made me realise that potentially I have a career in coaching after footy or in development."
That's all on hold for a couple of years with Roughead eyeing another premiership and the chance to feel those "goosebumps" which still strike when his mind wanders back to 2016.
"I want to experience it again and I want to help other people experience it," he says.
“Someone asked me the other night to describe the feeling of winning the premiership. I don't think there are words to do it justice, it's something you have to live to understand."

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

"I got drafted to the Bulldogs when I'd just turned 18, I was coming up 28 and hadn't had a different perspective. I'd had the same coach or coaches for five years and I just needed a refresher.
"I needed some different opinions and different perspectives to develop me as a person as much as a footballer.
"There were probably three or four conversations and moments throughout last year and I made the decision midway through to start looking for a new home.

This is the part that jumps out at me. The main reason why we need to look at changing some of the assistant coaches. Wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt also a big part of Dahl leaving.

NEWS

Collingwood’s Jordan Roughead flourishing for Pies after ‘staleness’ forced old Dog to find new home

As Jordan Roughead relishes a new environment, Western Bulldogs fans are still struggling to work out how easily he was let go. The Pie recruit tells Scott Gullan why he had to leave Whitten Oval.

Scott Gullan, Herald Sun

Premiership star moves to the biggest club in town and becomes the key to its defence. And still no-one recognises him.

This is the scenario which Jordan Roughead confronts daily ... and he loves it.
The Collingwood fullback lives around the corner from his new home at the Holden Centrein the middle of Melbourne's sporting precinct and can come and go as he pleases.

"I don't get recognised and I love it," Roughead says. "I put the glasses on and I become invisible which is nice."
He then jokes: "I think it helps that you don't get a kick also."
It's not how many kicks Roughead gets which matters, it's how few his opponents have been getting this season which has quickly seen him become a favourite of the Collingwood army.
This was highlighted back in Round 10 when he stood Sydney star Lance Franklin and kept him to six touches.

"To be honest I was probably lucky to get him in his first game back and he was looking for some match fitness," he says.
"I'd actually spent a half on him in a NAB Cup game back in about 2012 and he kicked three or four that day so at least it went better this time."
The sight of Roughead, 28, holding together Collingwood's back half is a weekly dagger in the heart of Western Bulldogs fans who still struggle to work out how easily he was let go.
He became a Magpie in exchange for a fourth-round selection, No. 78, in last year's draft which the Dogs used to select VFL player Will Hayes.

Given the Dogs lack of tall defenders it's certainly a head scratcher, but the man himself is adamant he's a different person and player to the one who was wallowing in the VFL last year which accelerated his exit from the Whitten Oval.
"I put a lot of it down to the change of environment," Roughead explains.
"I think there is a bit of desire to prove that last year ... it was almost like my career was winding down and that I wasn't going to spend much more time in the game.

"There is a desire, whether it is to prove people wrong or show that you're still capable of playing the best game in Australia at the highest level."
So how do you go from playing a crucial role in the Bulldogs 2016 premiership victory to staring at the scrap heap two years later?
"I think there are multiple reasons," he says after a long pause. "I honestly genuinely believe a lot of it was the staleness of getting in the car every morning and driving over the West Gate Bridge to the only place that I have ever worked.

"It had got to the point where it probably would have been not play, over playing for the Bulldogs, so I knew that I needed a fresh look at it and a clean slate to start again.
"I still had the belief. I still believed in myself and my ability. I knew that with players and coaches around me that believed in me then I would be able to get out there and play some good footy."
It wasn't the first time his faith had been tested and when his premiership teammate Tom Boyd's sad fall from grace is brought up, Roughead reveals he'd experienced mental health battles earlier in his career.
"Mental health is a huge problem in the game. I think it is one of the biggest challenges the game faces going forward, to keep players in the game and maintain their passion and love of the game because it is something that can be extinguished pretty quickly.
"I had some anxiety and mental health challenges of my own through 2014-15. I just got in a hole from injury, form, expectation on myself and other people.

"There were a multitude of factors, I was probably too focused on football at that point in my life. I needed some things outside of footy whether it was mates or investing in my studies, whatever it was to distract myself from football.
"I learnt a lot about myself through that time, I worked with a sports psych to, I guess, become more resilient and understand what makes me tick and how to help myself when I experience some challenges.
"Last year I looked at footy as a great opportunity when I was playing VFL footy to help the guys that were going to have long careers in the AFL who were in that VFL team.
"As much as it was a challenge for me, it was great because it made me realise that potentially I have a career in coaching after footy or in development."
That's all on hold for a couple of years with Roughead eyeing another premiership and the chance to feel those "goosebumps" which still strike when his mind wanders back to 2016.
"I want to experience it again and I want to help other people experience it," he says.
“Someone asked me the other night to describe the feeling of winning the premiership. I don't think there are words to do it justice, it's something you have to live to understand."

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think it’s pretty clear that we have some issues down at the club. Whether or not they fall into the chaotic realm as some on here suggest, is anyone’s guess. Equally so, we have those who believe strongly in the nothing to see here scenario. I suspect the truth may fall in the middle.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roughead didn't put the required effort in, simple. He was let go. He won't be part of a premiership side again.

Roughead like many players don’t know what position and what is required of them.

They have been a victim of flexibility and the players spend preseason been taught to play as a defender only to end up in the ruck, forward or who know where

Last edited:
Roughead like many players don’t know what position and what is required of them.

They have been a victim of flexibility and the players spend preseason been taught to play as a defender only to end up in the ruck, forward or who know where

He had 10 years at the Bulldogs and coaches would scratch their heads trying to find a role for him. He was inconsistent as a ruck/follower and as a KPD too slow and often outbodied. Poor kick too.

I wanted him to succeed as a mobile ruck but the inconsistency was frustrating. He's in a stop-gap role at Collingwood and so far it's working because he isn't doing much at all but is surrounded by some very good defenders.

The story about him keeping Buddy to a few touches is cute but Buddy was underdone. Buddy on yesterdays form would have torn him a new one.

If Jordan Roughead was playing fullback in our side we'd all be bemoaning the same shortcomings that he has always had. He currently has the distinct advantage of playing in a much better defencive squad that is anchored around one the premier CHB's in the competition as well as a midfield that understands what it takes to work both ways effectively. Like Luke Dahlhaus tired middle of the road players will always look rejuvenated in a new side if that side is one of the leading and well oiled teams in the competition. We made a value call on both of them and I maintain that it was the correct one for us.

HAhahaha always the players never the club

And that is why we constantly accept what we are and won’t change.

It’s absolutely hilarious that anything that is for the club in the media is true but if it’s challenges us it’s lies and propaganda.

Anyone that still things Dahl left coz he was “stale” lives in dreamworld

HAhahaha always the players never the club

And that is why we constantly accept what we are and won’t change.

It’s absolutely hilarious that anything that is for the club in the media is true but if it’s challenges us it’s lies and propaganda.

Anyone that still things Dahl left coz he was “stale” lives in dreamworld

Why did he leave?

Why did he leave?

Do yourself a favour if/when u see him and ask if the club put him on the trade table at the end of 2017, he isn’t hard to find if you spend any time in Geelong. You can then argue the debate from there who was right and wrong.

Don’t take my word for it coz no one does but get it from the horses mouth, he is more than happy to answer that question.

2 years after a flag and players are apparently stale, lol. Some people will believe anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back