What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will give it a go. I dont do footy tips so the title probably turned me off when looking for footy podcasts. Trends is a good one too.

I can see how the negativity can get you down, but I think most of the negativity is directed towards the footy media in general which is appallingly bad.
The title is very misleading! Not sure how I even got onto it in the first place but they only talk about tips for less than 5 mins per ep (each person's lock & upset for the round). I don't mind Trends also. If I'd had to rank my footy pods I'd go ESPN, Real Footy, Bob's one, Trends, Footyology.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The title is very misleading! Not sure how I even got onto it in the first place but they only talk about tips for less than 5 mins per ep (each person's lock & upset for the round). I don't mind Trends also. If I'd had to rank my footy pods I'd go ESPN, Real Footy, Bob's one, Trends, Footyology.
I didn't like Real Footy. Bartel and Wilson infuriate me. I know they aren't on every episode but I listen to a ton of podcasts so it was easier to just give it the flick.

Listened to the latest ESPN one, not bad. Bob's is decent for a dogs flavor. I'd love to do a dogs one, just never had time.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I didn't like Real Footy. Bartel and Wilson infuriate me. I know they aren't on every episode but I listen to a ton of podcasts so it was easier to just give it the flick.

Listened to the latest ESPN one, not bad. Bob's is decent for a dogs flavor. I'd love to do a dogs one, just never had time.
Ive found Bob's one a bit meh in terms of guests. The best one was with Sam Power last year. I spose i would enjoy one with current club admin personnel behind the scenes such as Nick Austin etc.

Still the purest football we played during that fabled series in my view.

The Eagles coaching staff were completely bamboozled by the style of football we played that night.

Loved watching the documentary of the pre-game team talk. Bevo said to them something along the lines of “I hope you’re ready for an ambush, because it’s going to be us”. Hit them from the first bounce, was a great team effort

Was part of the original short docos- The Ride.

Found the quote in an article, it was actually before a NAB cup game against Collingwood :oops:

Turns out I’ve been lying to myself for the last couple of years then lol

Found the quote in an article, it was actually before a NAB cup game against Collingwood :oops:

Turns out I’ve been lying to myself for the last couple of years then lol
I was thinking about the ambush quote the other day. I also thought it was before the West Coast final. My mind is blown.

I was thinking about the ambush quote the other day. I also thought it was before the West Coast final. My mind is blown.

Gonna have to watch the DVD again, could have sworn it was in the lead up to that final

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good luck to the guy but I’m sick of the stories that imply our culture wasn’t supportive. “at Brisbane he has discovered a culture of caring for each other and where no one is left out that has made the long road back one of the more bearable.”

Marcus Adams says support at Brisbane Lions has helped him return to AFL footy
Andrew Hamilton, The Courier-Mail

He’s been out of AFL action for almost a year, but Lions recruit Marcus Adams says that blow has been cushioned by a culture of caring at his new club.
Marcus Adams can count the days since he last played an AFL game — when he runs out for his Lions debut against GWS today the number will be 343.

It is no surprise a footballer who has been unable to play the game he loves knows exactly how long it has been.

The surprise is he doesn’t count it among the worst times of his life.

Every footballer will tell you there is no place more lonely than rehab, but Adams begs to differ.

He said at Brisbane he has discovered a culture or caring for each other and where no one is left out that has made the long road back one of the more bearable.

“If I had been told I had to be in rehab for my first six months at my new club I would have assumed it wouldn’t have been such a good time,’’ he said.

“But the way the group is, they are respectful and supportive and they integrate the injured guys into everything.

“The side is going well and it is one I’m very excited to get my chance to play in it, but it is the whole club on and off the field that I’m loving being part of.’’

A major part he cruised through a tough start has been coach Chris Fagan.

“I think he has just got a great ability to relate to the group as individuals and also as a whole,’’ he said.

“He makes everyone feel as good as they possibly can, they really enjoy coming into work each day.’’

The support from Fagan was evident with his call up after just two NEAFL games, the first on restricted minutes and then a full game in a whitewash of Redlands last week.

“I was incredibly surprised to get the call up because there has been such a strong performance in the NEAFL,’’ he said.

“I knew Fages was there for me, in terms of I knew they brought me into the club because they saw a position for me in the side, but I didn’t expect it to be so quick.

“So the faith he showed is real.’’

Adams is known as a defender but has revealed he has spent time in attack in the past and that versatility was something Fagan was interested in when the discussion about him joining the Lions were held.

“Forward is something I really enjoyed and it was something that we spoke about,’’ he said.

“I feel like I have a better understanding of what I can do down back, but to be honest I will play anywhere to get a game.

“With Harris going as well as he is and his ability to take on the big guys, if I was pigeon-holed in that role I might not get a game.

“Darcy Gardiner is down there too and is in pretty good form.

“So that versatility makes life a bit easier.’’

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you see his setshot from 20m out on the weekend? Yeah let’s see if everyone is still “supportive”.

Haha yeah fair enough re: Real Footy. I think Baum does my head in more so than any of the others there. I like that Bartel has no qualms about giving any of the journos stick or taking them to task on things. Wilson much less annoying on the podcast to me than other media where she's more inclined to give some kind of "hot take".

Ive found Bob's one a bit meh in terms of guests. The best one was with Sam Power last year. I spose i would enjoy one with current club admin personnel behind the scenes such as Nick Austin etc.
I think i have heard enough of bob at this point, he's been almost every where since 2017. No offense intended to a great person of our club
I don't disagree with either of you necessarily but as far as I know there's no other bulldogs specific pods? I'll keep listening just to get that bulldog focused aspect. Agree that the Sam Power ep was good. Also the Ameet Bains one was good. My favourite was actually the one with Richo, even though I disliked him as a player. Him and Bob have a good mateship and was funny hearing some of the stories they had to share.

Doggies sign an Irishwoman and an American (1st from the states) to AFLW contracts (and the American was very good in the VFLW).

If only I were 40 years younger... ♥ :unitedstates:

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I remember one of the players saying it was before we thumped Freo at home, round 1.
It was definitely 2015. It was in the original ride (which I cant seem to find, part 2 I can though). I'm going to trust stevieg above and run with the idea it was edited really well to look like round 1 2015 and it was really pre season.

I'm pretty confident it was too. It was Bob that talked about it.
Definitely before the Collingwood game. The footy world regarded us as a basket case (maybe due to some sort of previous meltdown within the club, I dunno ;)) and it was the first sign that Bevo had made an immediate difference. He told them they were good enough, restored their faith in themselves. And the rest is history :trophy: :)

AFLX territory.

EDIT
Actually no. I take that back. It might work - 4 points for a win, 2 for a draw, 1 for 100 points scored (even if it's a loss).
Bonus if there is a 54 or 16 in the score

Brass Dog

Senior List
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Yankees
Bontempelli was on the freedom in a cage podcast the previous three week. It was nice listening to his insight into our games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back