Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Who cares if review shows and the hacks that front them don't give us any credit for our wins?

If you waste your time watching them regularly you should understand that they nearly always focus on the negative aspects of the game and very rarely emphasise the positive and when they do its nearly always as an aside. That anybody would watch the footy classified with the crone, matching chrome domes and the store front dummy confecting controversies and faux arguments in a desperate attempt to set the coming days talking points across croc medias various outlets just boggles the mind.

If its positive reinforcement that you crave, Ive got you covered.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/dogs-smash-the-bombers-137-33.1225623/

Norm, not so much positive reinforcement I was looking for in the media on Monday night TV but was just hoping the media's perceived avoidance of anything Bulldogs was a "myth". Just confirming once and for all it's not a myth.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Norm, not so much positive reinforcement I was looking for in the media on Monday night TV but was just hoping the media's perceived avoidance of anything Bulldogs was a "myth". Just confirming once and for all it's not a myth.

Agreed. If Geelong or Essendon or Richmond kicked 21 in a row, these shows would be frothing.

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s Wednesday and Essendon get Bob and Nick spending their entire segment on 360 talking about them and the psychology of post 100 point loss. Was interesting to listen to but.......Give it a spell. If we’d lost by 100, it would have been a week of how good Essendon were.
I don’t need the massive hype but geez it would be nice if just once this year our play was acknowledged

Beat Richmond - so many injuries, missed Rance against Naughton
Beat Brisbane - Lions wasted chances
Beat Geelong - they were so poor
Beat Port - they were so poor
Beat Essendon by 100 - no credit to us, Bombers no effort ( but what about our effort)

Five wins against top 8 sides and they all played poorly. No common denominator that maybe we played well and caused them to play poorly??
Just s**t analysis of the games and disrespectful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s Wednesday and Essendon get Bob and Nick spending their entire segment on 360 talking about them and the psychology of post 100 point loss. Was interesting to listen to but.......Give it a spell. If we’d lost by 100, it would have been a week of how good Essendon were.
I don’t need the massive hype but geez it would be nice if just once this year our play was acknowledged

Beat Essendon by 100 - no credit to us, Bombers no effort ( but what about our effort)

Five wins against top 8 sides and they all played poorly. No common denominator that maybe we played well and caused them to play poorly??

I'm more than happy that we are flying under the radar

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

There's a video on the AFL website where a few former indigenous players hype us up massively.

Tony Armstrong mentions that the quality of our youth means we could be dominant for years to come whilst Matthew Stokes called us unstoppable when we are up and about.

In my experience they tend to have two or three (generally negative) topics a night and then rehash them endlessly as they roll different guests through the studio.

I can almost guarantee that if you looked across most team boards you will find the same gripe that the media continually ignores their side.

Agreed. If Geelong or Essendon or Richmond kicked 21 in a row, these shows would be frothing.

See, I cannot agree with you here. As good as we were, the fact that a team that two weeks ago was comfortably finals bound could concede 21 goals in a row and get trounced by 100+ points by a side outside of the eight was where all the sizzle in the story was to be found.

We make finals we'll get our due. Not to mention the endless comparisons to our 2016 campaign.

Alas, if there's one thing that reality TV has taught us it's that there are higher ratings from sticking the boot in than in celebrating some worthwhile achievement.

Another factor would be that it's Essendon. It has one of the biggest followings in the AFL and also one of the biggest collections of haters, especially since the doping scandal. If it was Brisbane, Freo, St Kilda or GWS that we had beaten by 100 points I doubt there'd have been as much public interest in dissecting the corpse.

the dog's kennel

Premiership Player
Jan 7, 2007
The Land of Baileys
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I kind of enjoyed Slobbo’s raving about the Dopers. It was hysterical and made no sense at all, but what’s new? I actually thought he was going to cry at one point. Either that or torch Windy Hill.

I have long felt that Whateley is the best performer in the AFL Media simply cause he keeps a straight face through every one of those Robbo rants. There is no way I could stop myself laughing - he's just so ridiculous! Say what you will about Damian Barrett - but the Herald-Sun were absolutely insane in choosing Robbo over him as Sheahan's replacement. Barrett may be a bottom feeder, but he isn't remedial-level and semi-literate. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

stevieg1969

Team Captain
Aug 26, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is a podcast called ‘By the Numbers’ which is hosted by Adam White or Daniel Harford with Brendon Goddard (who is actually ok) and Daniel Hoyne from Champion Data. Preview a few games of the upcoming round. In this week’s episode they talk about the Dogs for around 5 min (from around 34:00). A pretty good weekly listen.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is a podcast called ‘By the Numbers’ which is hosted by Adam White or Daniel Harford with Brendon Goddard (who is actually ok) and Daniel Hoyne from Champion Data. Preview a few games of the upcoming round. In this week’s episode they talk about the Dogs for around 5 min (from around 34:00). A pretty good weekly listen.
Do they cover every game, every week luke Footyology? Or just a few of the bigger games?

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
JASON Johannisen's season started slowly, but he wasn't the only one at the Western Bulldogs.

A serious ankle injury ruined the dashing Bulldog's pre-season, and meant he missed the start of the home-and-away campaign.

As Johannisen's season found its feet, the Dogs limped to the mid-year bye with four wins and seven losses, and it looked like another wasted season was on the cards for Luke Beveridge's side.

The Dogs have rediscovered their bite since, evening their win-loss record at 10-10 after last Saturday night's 104-point obliteration of Essendon, and are firmly in contention for their first finals appearance since their premiership year of 2016.

Jason Johannisen and the Dogs were at their explosive best in the eclipse of Essendon. Picture: AFL Photos
704002_ll.jpg

The 26-year-old Johannisen credits a sense of familiarity and an emphasis on greater efficiency in front of goal as key reasons for the Dogs' turnaround in form.

"The team hasn't changed too much, so that chemistry with the 22 has been building," he said.

"Playing a lot of games together has definitely helped.

"It was good to see the boys finish the work, and their accuracy was pretty elite on the weekend."

The 2016 Norm Smith medallist hasn't missed a game since round four, which has helped him find some rhythm.

Johannisen has averaged 21.6 disposals from 17 matches this year, the second-highest of his career, while his averages for rebound 50s (3.6) and inside 50s (3.7) are also close to career highs.

"I didn't do any pre-season this year because of injury and I didn't have the most ideal preparation coming into the season," Johannisen said.

"I've slowly built into the year and played some pretty good games … I feel like in terms of my body I'm finding a bit of a mojo, you could say."

In 2016 we were fighting for a top four spot, and this year we're fighting to get into finals ... in terms of the mindset, it's exactly the same - Jason Johannisen
Johannisen is reluctant to compare this year's strong late-season form with 2016, but says the club is enjoying riding the wave.

The Bulldogs finished seventh that season, but won four straight finals on their way to the club's first flag since 1954.

"In terms of the feeling around the club, it is pretty similar," Johannisen said.

"But back in 2016 we were fighting for a top four spot, and this year we're fighting to get into finals. So it's a little bit different but in terms of the mindset, it's exactly the same."

Standing in the Bulldogs' way this week is GWS, a side they haven't defeated since the 2016 preliminary final.

Curiously, eight of the 22 Dogs who thumped Essendon last weekend have never played at Giants Stadium, with the last meeting between the sides in round one last year in Canberra.

"We haven't really focused on our past encounters because it's been over a year since we played the Giants, and both sides have changed quite a lot," Johannisen said.

"It's a great challenge for us boys. There's a few players who haven't played at that ground, so it's definitely a different vibe."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 2, 2010
Gate 7, Bay Q26, Row W, S1
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can’t wait to hear more about the obliteration of GWS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I suspect we will hear more (n the media) about how dire a position GWS are in, than our complete domination after HT. Suits me just fine as we don't need to get ahead of ourselves.

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens
Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I suspect we will hear more (n the media) about how dire a position GWS are in, than our complete domination after HT. Suits me just fine as we don't need to get ahead of ourselves.

Yep, it’ll be ‘the Ferrari has blown a gasket, oh, and the Dogs did alright...goodnight.’

That’s fine, get the job done in the Rat and that’s all that matters.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bemusing conversation between Watto and Lyon on SEN this morning. Had just finished talking about GWS and started talking about Ess and spent some time trying to remember who thumped Ess last week. Could not remember. Not surprised Ess played with themselves last week apparently.

Not under the radar.

There is no radar.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
"He's a young player having a terrific year"

- Wayne Carey on Charlie Cameron.

DAE think that some people in the media would be shocked to learn our entire midfield is younger than CC? The trio that combines for 250+ coaches votes still has 5+ years of peak footy left. Scary stuff for other clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back