Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unorth

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In 2016 West Coast was on an absolute roll and probably the hottest team heading into finals. Then there was a bye, and they played us when we were able to use that week off to reload and bring in several key players back from injury. Certainly some parallels here. Also western sydney will probably be more determined to win this game than any other game they've ever played in, prelims included, considering the history.

There's some reasonable cause for concern from the perspective of people in the media looking to pick a winner. Not that what happened a few years ago has anything to do with what happens on Saturday but the bye benefits them more than it does us.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Everyone is comparing this year to 2016, but i think the better comp is 2015.

We had all the hype in 2015 re game style, scoring, the why not us mantra and finished bottom half of the 8.

Going to be a tough game on Sat!
Agree.

Think all games bar the WCE landslide are genuine 50/50 - 60/40 contests.

Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
Juddy (Footy Classified) and now Whateley (360) reckons we are a better side that the 2016 Premiership team - hard to argue with, but it doesn't guarantee anything.

Got me thinking though - how p1ssed off would the so called AFL superpower teams be if we won it all again this year - 2 flags in 4 years for a club that is supposed to be minnows.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
This was a good summary of where we have won in the first week of finals throughout our VFL/AFL history:

But the more important question that article raises for me is in the photo of the team celebrating with Monty after being knocked out early then coming back to be a 4-goal match-winner:

Assuming that is Chris Grant's left hand on Matthew Robbins' back, is that the best manicured hand ever sported by a VFL/AFL player?

manutd/dogs

Team Captain
Feb 18, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
United
This was a good summary of where we have won in the first week of finals throughout our VFL/AFL history:

But the more important question that article raises for me is in the photo of the team celebrating with Monty after being knocked out early then coming back to be a 4-goal match-winner:

View attachment 739556

Assuming that is Chris Grant's left hand on Matthew Robbins' back, is that the best manicured hand ever sported by a VFL/AFL player?

He did come from Daylesford after all...

giblj

Cancelled
Nov 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
To be fair GWS are a big reason for that. They’re no chance whatsoever and if we beat them it’s not as if we’ve really taken a major step (even though we are still a fair shot to lose).
Also all the other games involve one of the big Melbourne clubs

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Juddy (Footy Classified) and now Whateley (360) reckons we are a better side that the 2016 Premiership team - hard to argue with, but it doesn't guarantee anything.

Got me thinking though - how p1ssed off would the so called AFL superpower teams be if we won it all again this year - 2 flags in 4 years for a club that is supposed to be minnows.

We might have been flashier the last month of this year, but that 2016 side just mulched sides defensively the whole season. Holistically, I think the 2016 side was clearly better, by some distance (but I’m willing to revisit this, subject to what these finals hold in store).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

The only clubs who call us Minnows are the ones who call themselves “powerhouses” who haven’t done jack sh** for years and have jumped off their own team numerous times.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades

Think it’s disingenuous to suggest that this team is better than 2016. That 2016 team went 15-7 with a ridiculous amount of injuries of a week to week basis. It’s just that the team finished 7th that everyone has decided that we just snuck into the finals and played four good weeks of footy and stole a flag which couldn’t be further from the case.

Morris, Boyd and Picken are huge experience losses that we haven’t really been able to replace. Biggs, Roughead, Dahlhaus, Liberatore*, Hamling, Clay Smith, Stringer and Boyd are the others missing.

This team is very young and will certainly have the potential to go past the 2016 team. When English and Naughton reach their potential they’ll offer something that we didn’t have then, Bont/Macrae/Dunkley are continuing to improve. The 2019 team is much more similar to 2015 if we’re being honest.

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
i'm very cautious about this one. i'm just proud we made the 8 and i reckon everything from here is a bonus. having said that, not liking all the hype and love we're getting. this industry is yuck. they build you up to cut you down. this giants outfit have known they're in finals for 3 weeks. they have a stack of gun players that can kill you easily. we are in for a bruising battle and if we come out arrogant or sluggish we'll get smacked.

i'm very cautious about this one. i'm just proud we made the 8 and i reckon everything from here is a bonus. having said that, not liking all the hype and love we're getting. this industry is yuck. they build you up to cut you down. this giants outfit have known they're in finals for 3 weeks. they have a stack of gun players that can kill you easily. we are in for a bruising battle and if we come out arrogant or sluggish we'll get smacked.
Are we getting a lot of hype and love? Or does it just stand out when a few people rate us? The tv programs I have seen haven't given us much of a mention - agree we don't want to get ahead of ourselves though

SirBont

All Australian
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone no where I could watch the Bulldogs movie really keen too see it unsure where

Pagnoccolo C

Senior List
Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks, Vancouver Canucks
I can see this boiling over very quickly. Reckon this will be the most heated game ive watched in a long time. Would not be surprised to see bont targeted heavily. An all in early on would not surprise me.
If it gets to the point where we are certain winners it becomes Mumfords last game and he will try to take someone out for sure.

Are we getting a lot of hype and love? Or does it just stand out when a few people rate us? The tv programs I have seen haven't given us much of a mention - agree we don't want to get ahead of ourselves though

Was getting a lot of hype & love during the week I thought, but 3 hosts of AFL Tonight on Fox all picked GWS due to the 7 players returned from when we played them last time.

I'm just happy we're back in the top 8 - the future looks bright. But I'd love us to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back