What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not just Damo but the lack of self awareness media nuffs like Damo show just saddens me. This whole week of remembering Spud Frawley and what seems to be accepted from all his mourning mates that his mental illness was a contributing factor which he himself relates to the constant frenzy against him as Richmond coach will be all forgotten by Saturday night/Sunday morning as they feast upon the carcass of Chris Scott if they go out in straight sets. He might be a flog at time Eddie Maguire and contributes himself but he raised a good point this morning that back in World of Sport days you had Lou and Bobby and Captain Blood reviewing games with a bit of humour and patently obvious observations about the winners and losers. Now they are replaced by a pack of wolves like Damo, Caro, Robbo, Hutchy, Kingy, Tom Brown, Gerard the Infallible and the rest who are trained in stalking, attacking and destroying reputations and paid by the tweet reply and website hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now yer talkin’ :D

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
It’s not just Damo but the lack of self awareness media nuffs like Damo show just saddens me. This whole week of remembering Spud Frawley and what seems to be accepted from all his mourning mates that his mental illness was a contributing factor which he himself relates to the constant frenzy against him as Richmond coach will be all forgotten by Saturday night/Sunday morning as they feast upon the carcass of Chris Scott if they go out in straight sets. He might be a flog at time Eddie Maguire and contributes himself but he raised a good point this morning that back in World of Sport days you had Lou and Bobby and Captain Blood reviewing games with a bit of humour and patently obvious observations about the winners and losers. Now they are replaced by a pack of wolves like Damo, Caro, Robbo, Hutchy, Kingy, Tom Brown, Gerard the Infallible and the rest who are trained in stalking, attacking and destroying reputations and paid by the tweet reply and website hit.

Spot on, spot on.

The shark like, stalking, constant harassment and looking for the next person to take down media behaviour is a disgrace. Browne, Barrett, Wilson, McClure, Slobbo and grubs of those ilk are pathetic.

Look at 360, it has a ‘furnace’ segment which treats people who have lost a football match as if they have just been charged with murder.

Frawley and the MMM gang had fun and made people laugh. Laughs almost non existent in AFL media now.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
Frawley and the MMM gang had fun and made people laugh. Laughs almost non existent in AFL media now.
My kids loved watching Frawley on Bounce for this exact reason. Lots of laughs from the 10 year-olds in my living room. They are quite sad about the recent terrible news.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Mind you, Browne gets a lot of his inside word from Eddie, but that's another matter.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Damo’s on MMM now saying how he laments the wolf like attacks in the media, in light of what Don Pyke said yesterday. Yet in his sliding doors today in the GWS section he dig in the boots and says GWS ‘embarrassed’ the Bulldogs? What garbage, we lost, we got beat up a bit, in and outside the rules. Had a really good season, yet he continues to lay the boots in.
Then had the temerity to say he dislikes anything to do with the Jimmy Bartel story, says that’s off limits and distasteful? Without anyone’s morality on that story I still found it interesting.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
Damo’s on MMM now saying how he laments the wolf like attacks in the media, in light of what Don Pyke said yesterday. Yet in his sliding doors today in the GWS section he dig in the boots and says GWS ‘embarrassed’ the Bulldogs? What garbage, we lost, we got beat up a bit, in and outside the rules. Had a really good season, yet he continues to lay the boots in.
Then had the temerity to say he dislikes anything to do with the Jimmy Bartel story, says that’s off limits and distasteful? Without anyone’s morality on that story I still found it interesting.
Who gives a *? Seriously

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens

Barrett is is a bloodsucking parasite. The only way to get rid off him is to do what the rest of us are doing. Don’t listen, click or read.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Barrett is is a bloodsucking parasite. The only way to get rid off him is to do what the rest of us are doing. Don’t listen, click or read.
Your right. I was only listening this week because I wanted to hear their Friday night coverage concerning Danny Frawley. And as soon as he opens his mouth he makes me angry. Mostly his hypocrisy.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Your right. I was only listening this week because I wanted to hear their Friday night coverage concerning Danny Frawley. And as soon as he opens his mouth he makes me angry. Mostly his hypocrisy.
If you want to hear quality coverage on Frawley, listen to the match preview episode of Footyology. Covers it really well in two separate parts.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Love or hate Damo, this is how the media work. If you’re difficult for them, they’ll line up to pot you at any available chance. When you’re losing they’ll constantly criticise and start asking for you to be sacked. When you’re winning they just have to suck it up.

Hutchy gave it to Damo after round 23 when we made the finals and he had nowhere to go. But then we dished up THAT performance against GWS and the embarrassment from copping s**t for his war on Bevo fuelled his GWS and Bulldog entries in Sliding Doors this week.

Many of the media operate the same way. Heard as much from a rugby league journo in Sydney on a podcast.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone else hear Danger on 3AW this arvo? We can all get a bit protective of our own club, but hear this. He was asked about Tom Hawkins. He said “Marcus Bontempelli broke a guys larynx and got off...” then went on to say that “the AFL wants the best players to play so he’ll be right” He is obviously desperate to play in a GF. And knows without Hawkins it will be more difficult. But he is the boss of the AFLPA and just trashed one of its members, Bont, who accidentally hurt Haynes. It wasn’t a dog act like Greene, or a brain fade like Hawkins, but a mistake. If I were Bont or Bev or even Gordon I’d be fuming. I feel like contacting the club to encourage them to stand up for themselves.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
Anyone else hear Danger on 3AW this arvo? We can all get a bit protective of our own club, but hear this. He was asked about Tom Hawkins. He said “Marcus Bontempelli broke a guys larynx and got off...” then went on to say that “the AFL wants the best players to play so he’ll be right” He is obviously desperate to play in a GF. And knows without Hawkins it will be more difficult. But he is the boss of the AFLPA and just trashed one of its members, Bont, who accidentally hurt Haynes. It wasn’t a dog act like Greene, or a brain fade like Hawkins, but a mistake. If I were Bont or Bev or even Gordon I’d be fuming. I feel like contacting the club to encourage them to stand up for themselves.
Dangerflog one of the most hateable players

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bontempelli got off a suspension purely due to a technicality based on GWS' medical report not being available by the time the MRP needed to make their decision - nothing to do with who he was or the injury sustained by Haynes. He wasn't just looked after like so many think (particularly Giants supporters and Dangerfield), unlike Toby Greene.

Unorth

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Bevo's not so subtle words targeting Barrett (iirc when Boyd retired?) sums it up best. Morals aren't really a concern for these media figures who make their money spewing hot takes and clickbait headlines. And I highly doubt most of them actually watch every game every round in their entirety, which is the only way you can put yourself in a valid position to make bold statements about every club. But they have to go on air, put out columns or tweet about potentially every club, and that's how you end up with really bad takes, poorly formed opinions and sensationalist garbage; because they either don't watch enough to actually assess the team and/or a particular bias/angle brings in more attention than reasonable assessments. "GWS embarrassed the Bulldogs" is going to generate more discussion among the facebook and twitter nuffies than "GWS uses experience, size and eye gouging to beat the youngest finals side in the last 50 years".

Unorth

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is that a true stat? Remarkable.

Guess not. Thought I heard it somewhere, but there you go.

Still, obviously a remarkably young side. It was 11 guys playing their first final right? (Although now I'm not sure if I have that correct). I wonder how that stacks up. (Edit: Upon reflection I guess the first final GWS played probably exceeded that)

Last edited:

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs

Seeing as it is now prelim final week I thought I would repost what I think is the best article I have read about the club.

It was written by Martin Flanagan in the lead up to the 16 prelim final.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades

He did this to the Curnow’s when they didn’t get suspended, when Hawkins got suspended for pushing an umpire. Actually resulted in Charlie missing a game.

I’d he furious if he was my president. Supposedly meant to look after the players but Dangerfield cares about two things. The Dangerfield brand and the Geelong Cats.

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Guess not. Thought I heard it somewhere, but there you go.

Still, obviously a remarkably young side. It was 11 guys playing their first final right? (Although now I'm not sure if I have that correct). I wonder how that stacks up. (Edit: Upon reflection I guess the first final GWS played probably exceeded that)

Actually in total games GWS First Final side of 2016 had 64 games of finals experience ( Pattful, Ward, Griffen, Shaw, Stevie J Johnson and Mumford and 3 premiership players (Shaw, Johnson, Mumford) and our side had 61 games of experience but obviously more premiership players ( 10), although most of those were 21 and under when they played in those finals)

Plenty of sides (including our 2015 team) would have had less experience than GWS 2016, although many were playing their first. Brisbane 97 comes to mind. Port 99, Melbourne last year would have been Jordan Lewis and that’s it, Freo 2003 and I’m sure many more.

What we were this year was young AND inexperienced.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2010
Gate 7, Bay Q26, Row W, S1
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Has Charlie on his mind, not his team. No surprises really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back