What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apols if posted elsewhere, but apparently we're playing in a Friday night "blockbuster" :rolleyes:

Collingwood and Western Bulldogs to meet in Round 1 of 2020 AFL season
I don't mind it. Primetime, good chance to get some early eyeballs on us. We just better be ready to go and not disappoint. Win would be huge given the Pies are likely to be thereabouts. Wonder if Pies are one of our double ups from 2019 top 6, otherwise would be weird to play in round one then not again.

I don't mind it. Primetime, good chance to get some early eyeballs on us. We just better be ready to go and not disappoint. Win would be huge given the Pies are likely to be thereabouts. Wonder if Pies are one of our double ups from 2019 top 6, otherwise would be weird to play in round one then not again.

Yeah I shouldn't complain - it's good publicity. I just get the jitters with any blown up expectation before we 'gel' - if it's a major loss you could lose potential members (although I guess people aren't as stupid as I think they are in that they'll wait for a few games before deciding).

I imagine there will be a Thursday night game to open the season??

Yeah I shouldn't complain - it's good publicity. I just get the jitters with any blown up expectation before we 'gel' - if it's a major loss you could lose potential members (although I guess people aren't as stupid as I think they are in that they'll wait for a few games before deciding).

I imagine there will be a Thursday night game to open the season??

It'll be the regular Richmond/Carlton game, yeah

What's the issue? That's a fantastic result.

Don't count your 'blockbusters' before it's a good game you win - that's all. Think I explained it in my follow up post and changed my mind that it was good.

We're back on Good Friday too I see....

I know the media pumps out BS opinion piece articles these days, but this one by bomber fan boy Twooomey is particularly poor.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/10/27/twomeys-top-five-best-value-draft-selections-of-all-time/

The fact that he has that plodder Priddis in here and leaves out the great man at pick 105 shows how much research went into this.
He really just wanted to fap about what a great pick Hirdy was and then added the next 4 value picks that popped into his head.
Probably still gets nightmares from this piece of Grant brilliance.

IT MAKES sense that Fischer McAsey, who has grown up a lifelong Western Bulldogs fan, would idolise Aaron Naughton.

McAsey is a versatile, talented tall prospect who can play as a key position at both ends of the ground. Marking, like Naughton, is McAsey's key attribute.

But it was another Bulldog who first took McAsey's eye as he fell in love with the red, white and blue.

>> The 2019 NAB AFL Draft runs from November 27-28. Follow all the latest news in the draft hub

"I was a really passionate fan with the Doggies when I was about five years old, and I'd just write letters to players in my spare time," he told AFL.com.au.

Class of 2019: Fischer McAsey
"I wrote one to Matthew Boyd and he wasn't a [really] popular player at the time and he wrote back and gave me a hat and scarf. Ever since then we became pen pals and I met him at a few family days and things, which was nice."

The talented Sandringham Dragons prospect shapes as perhaps the first key-position player picked at next month's NAB AFL Draft.

PHANTOM FORM GUIDE Cal Twomey's October update

But it was the determined midfielder Boyd, an ex-skipper of the club and member of the Dogs' breakthrough 2016 premiership team, who forged a bond with McAsey in his youth.

"He did remember me from the letters so it was a good experience as a young kid," he said.

"The impact you can have on young kids [is huge]. They look up to AFL players and he really inspired me, so I'd like to be an inspiration to young kids if I can get onto an AFL list."

That step is only weeks away.

McAsey ended the season in a moonboot, suffering a stress fracture in his foot and forcing him to miss the Dragons' end to the NAB League season. He was also sidelined for the NAB AFL Draft Combine.

INDICATIVE DRAFT ORDER Your club's latest picks

But before that McAsey had established his credentials, starting the year as a key back who could leave his man, cut off forward entries and get things going his side's way.

He showed that in Vic Metro's under-18 carnival, where he was named his side's most valuable player ahead of top fancies Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson after averaging 14.5 disposals (at 74 per cent efficiency) and six marks a game.

Find Road to the Draft on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and Spotify.

But McAsey also shifted forward at stages after the national carnival, showing an appetite for busting packs and throwing himself at the ball.

"My main strengths are my contested marking. If that's as a back, then I like to roll off and intercept," he said.

KEY DATES What's coming up next in the off-season?

"But if it's as a forward then just try to crash packs and create a contest. I pride myself on being clean with my hands.

"As far as my best position, I find I'm a bit more consistent as a defender at this stage but maybe my best footy playing as a forward I can impact games more. It really depends on the club's needs in terms of where they put me."

IT MAKES sense that Fischer McAsey, who has grown up a lifelong Western Bulldogs fan, would idolise Aaron Naughton.

McAsey is a versatile, talented tall prospect who can play as a key position at both ends of the ground. Marking, like Naughton, is McAsey's key attribute.

But it was another Bulldog who first took McAsey's eye as he fell in love with the red, white and blue.

>> The 2019 NAB AFL Draft runs from November 27-28. Follow all the latest news in the draft hub

"I was a really passionate fan with the Doggies when I was about five years old, and I'd just write letters to players in my spare time," he told AFL.com.au.

Class of 2019: Fischer McAsey
"I wrote one to Matthew Boyd and he wasn't a [really] popular player at the time and he wrote back and gave me a hat and scarf. Ever since then we became pen pals and I met him at a few family days and things, which was nice."

The talented Sandringham Dragons prospect shapes as perhaps the first key-position player picked at next month's NAB AFL Draft.

PHANTOM FORM GUIDE Cal Twomey's October update

But it was the determined midfielder Boyd, an ex-skipper of the club and member of the Dogs' breakthrough 2016 premiership team, who forged a bond with McAsey in his youth.

"He did remember me from the letters so it was a good experience as a young kid," he said.

"The impact you can have on young kids [is huge]. They look up to AFL players and he really inspired me, so I'd like to be an inspiration to young kids if I can get onto an AFL list."

That step is only weeks away.

McAsey ended the season in a moonboot, suffering a stress fracture in his foot and forcing him to miss the Dragons' end to the NAB League season. He was also sidelined for the NAB AFL Draft Combine.

INDICATIVE DRAFT ORDER Your club's latest picks

But before that McAsey had established his credentials, starting the year as a key back who could leave his man, cut off forward entries and get things going his side's way.

He showed that in Vic Metro's under-18 carnival, where he was named his side's most valuable player ahead of top fancies Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson after averaging 14.5 disposals (at 74 per cent efficiency) and six marks a game.

Find Road to the Draft on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and Spotify.

But McAsey also shifted forward at stages after the national carnival, showing an appetite for busting packs and throwing himself at the ball.

"My main strengths are my contested marking. If that's as a back, then I like to roll off and intercept," he said.

KEY DATES What's coming up next in the off-season?

"But if it's as a forward then just try to crash packs and create a contest. I pride myself on being clean with my hands.

"As far as my best position, I find I'm a bit more consistent as a defender at this stage but maybe my best footy playing as a forward I can impact games more. It really depends on the club's needs in terms of where they put me."
Id love him and hopes he slides to us!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting McAsey would be huge. Would have to be very lucky for him to slide to our pick. I reckon he would be in defense filling the void there.

Getting McAsey would be huge. Would have to be very lucky for him to slide to our pick. I reckon he would be in defense filling the void there.
We'd have the luxury of letting him develop at VFL level.

If he got to pick 10, wonder if we would look at moving up the draft? What would we need to give up?

LETTER FROM THE CEO

To our loyal and wonderful Bulldogs fans,

I hope you’re enjoying some downtime during the off season, but if you’re anything like me, the fixture release has you already counting down the days until Round 1.

As you know, there are plenty of reasons to be excited and proud to be a Bulldogs fan next year.

The Club continues to be strong financially, our redevelopment plans for VU Whitten Oval and the adjoining precinct remain apace, and our Western Bulldogs Community Foundation continues to make significant positive impact in the communities of western Melbourne and Victoria.

On-field, the momentum we generated in the second half of 2019 was tremendous, and it has continued since the games have stopped.

Finishing the AFL season as we did and playing in the finals again was fantastic, and we can take a lot of confidence into 2020 knowing how our young and emerging group is positioned.

We secured our premiership coach Luke Beveridge for a further three seasons, until at least the end of the 2023 season.

Sam Power, Chris Grant and the list management and recruiting team did a brilliant job in 2019 by re-signing 19 players, including many of our leaders and young stars.

We were able to add both Josh Bruce and Alex Keath in the Trade Period to fill some key position needs, but also to add some experience and maturity.

And this week we received a strong commercial and football AFL fixture, highlighted by more Friday and Saturday night games, a return to Good Friday football, a Round 1 blockbuster against Collingwood and only one interstate trip after Round 12.

Our AFLW team is gearing up for season four of the elite women’s competition, and there’s plenty to look forward to there too.

We have a new senior coach in Nathan Burke, Bob Murphy is on board in a leadership and culture role, and we completed a fantastic 2019 Draft day which saw Gabby Newton selected with pick one and the Club have four of the first nine selections.

We can attack 2020 with a lot of confidence and remain focused on creating a powerful community of Bulldogs members and fans, inclusive of our long standing and loyal supporters and the many new faces residing in Melbourne’s Mighty West.

We’re going to be bold and ambitious with what we’re seeking to achieve next year. For the first time in the Club’s history, we’re setting our sights on signing 50,000 AFL members.

We value your support dearly and you shouldn’t underestimate the impact your support has on our future success. Please join us on the journey and be part of the memories that we’ll create both on and off the field.

We really encourage all of our supporters to Belong to the West in 2020 by becoming a member, for what promises to be an exciting season ahead.

Go Dogs!

Ameet Bains

Really love how the club is aiming high. We have more than enough supporters to reach 50,000. Fair enough many cannot afford a membership, or cannot attend games due to work or family commitments. It's those bandwagoners we need to get honest with and back on board. Support your club through the highs and lows. Not just when are in it for a flag chance.

Be nice to see us put North, Saints and Demons behind us on the membership tally and move from a bottom club to a mid tier one.

Really love how the club is aiming high. We have more than enough supporters to reach 50,000. Fair enough many cannot afford a membership, or cannot attend games due to work or family commitments. It's those bandwagoners we need to get honest with and back on board. Support your club through the highs and lows. Not just when are in it for a flag chance.

Be nice to see us put North, Saints and Demons behind us on the membership tally and move from a bottom club to a mid tier one.
Genuine question - what membership options are there for people who can't attend games? One of my pet peeves with the club are how Vic-centric everything seems to be, so interstate fans often get shafted with everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back