What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to be mindful that the charities you talk about aren’t overly meaningful. Most of the big charities only 10-15%of money raised actually reaches the needy, the rest is pocketed by the corporations that run the charity.
Football clubs, corporate charities... It’s almost the same thing.
Personally I’d prefer to spend my coin on the club, at least they aren’t pretending to be the saviour for all unfortunate.
I don’t think that’s correct CB.

Most charities report publicly on the breakdown of spending from the funds they raise and the breakdowns I’ve seen are approx the reverse of what you’ve stated. Somewhere between about 6 and 15% would be typical for admin and direct costs of fund raising.

Reputable charities are extremely sensitive to this sort of criticism and would be appalled to see it being put about that only 10-15% gets to the target beneficiaries.

Genuine question - what membership options are there for people who can't attend games? One of my pet peeves with the club are how Vic-centric everything seems to be, so interstate fans often get shafted with everything

I live overseas and get a digital membership, which is basically a subscription to the Watch AFL service (and a scarf or hat!), but such that some of the money goes to the club. This allows me to watch every game of the season live—provided I don’t mind getting up at all hours of the morning to do so—or on replay. It wouldn’t surprise me if something similar existed in Australia.

IT MAKES sense that Fischer McAsey, who has grown up a lifelong Western Bulldogs fan, would idolise Aaron Naughton.

why would that make sense? If McAsey idolised anyone wouldn’t it be someone he grew up watching?

I know if I was in line to be drafted back in 2008 I wouldn’t say I idolised the likes of Andrejs Everitt or Josh Hill (not that I ever would) who were drafted two years before me over the guys I grew up watching like Darcy, Johnson and Grant.

why would that make sense? If McAsey idolised anyone wouldn’t it be someone he grew up watching?

I know if I was in line to be drafted back in 2008 I wouldn’t say I idolised the likes of Andrejs Everitt or Josh Hill (not that I ever would) who were drafted two years before me over the guys I grew up watching like Darcy, Johnson and Grant.

The post you quoted literally said it was Matthew Boyd. But as he could be seen as a similar, tall player that likes to take marks, he could easily idolise him to want to make a similar impact.

The post you quoted literally said it was Matthew Boyd. But as he could be seen as a similar, tall player that likes to take marks, he could easily idolise him to want to make a similar impact.

yeah I should have read on. my point still kind of stands.

I live overseas and get a digital membership, which is basically a subscription to the Watch AFL service (and a scarf or hat!), but such that some of the money goes to the club. This allows me to watch every game of the season live—provided I don’t mind getting up at all hours of the morning to do so—or on replay. It wouldn’t surprise me if something similar existed in Australia.
Yeah you can buy the same in Aus. Gives you access to AFL live here.

Dopers!!!

"Four clubs have been sanctioned by the AFL for not updating the league on their players’ post-season whereabouts.

Carlton ($10,000), Melbourne ($5000), Richmond ($2500) and the Western Bulldogs ($2500) were all fined for failing to disclose the exact location of their players to enable out-of-competition drug testing.

The clubs breached the AFL’s drug testing code in conjunction with ASADA (Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority).

A phone app is available for players to download so clubs can track where they are during the off-season.

The Tigers were also fined in December, 2017 for a similar breach."

Dopers!!!

"Four clubs have been sanctioned by the AFL for not updating the league on their players’ post-season whereabouts.

Carlton ($10,000), Melbourne ($5000), Richmond ($2500) and the Western Bulldogs ($2500) were all fined for failing to disclose the exact location of their players to enable out-of-competition drug testing.

The clubs breached the AFL’s drug testing code in conjunction with ASADA (Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority).

A phone app is available for players to download so clubs can track where they are during the off-season.

Every *ing yr. * sake Dogs, its not that *ing hard!

Genuine question - what membership options are there for people who can't attend games? One of my pet peeves with the club are how Vic-centric everything seems to be, so interstate fans often get shafted with everything
I've got an overseas membership. Gives me access to watchafl.com, I get another cap and other misc items. $200 per year. Getting watchafl pretty much makes it value for money and the club get a few bucks from the subscription.

Every f*n yr. fu** sake Dogs, its not that f*n hard!

The ridiculousness of expecting a player to log into an app notwithstanding, you might want to point your finger at players who are understandably not very good at informing the club as to their whereabouts when cutting loose on their overseas jaunts.

The level of the sanction is indicative of the seriousness of the offence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ridiculousness of expecting a player to log into an app notwithstanding, you might want to point your finger at players who are understandably not very good at informing the club as to their whereabouts when cutting loose on their overseas jaunts.

The level of the sanction is indicative of the seriousness of the offence.
Its just a bad look. Minimal clubs have issues, yet here we are every yr paying fines for the same thing. Ridiculousness of logging into an app? They'd log into insta, WhatsApp etc multiple times a day. They're professional athletes, just do it. And I was pointing the finger at players and club, not just club.

Its just a bad look. Minimal clubs have issues, yet here we are every yr paying fines for the same thing. Ridiculousness of logging into an app? They'd log into insta, WhatsApp etc multiple times a day. They're professional athletes, just do it. And I was pointing the finger at players and club, not just club.

not hard to work out why they aren’t logging in and who blames them? Not me let them live while on break any way they choose

problem sorted if they left the players alone of their holidays

A bad look for who, the four clubs this year or the multiple clubs that are slapped with this wet lettuce and fined for the same every single season?

We're talking about young men who live incredibly scrutinised and regimented lives getting away for a brief respite from the spotlight once a year.

Notwithstanding your unprovable claim of them logging onto social media multiple times a day, that they can or choose to be a little tardy reporting their whereabouts at all times to city hall as they scatter to the four corners of the globe really shouldn't come as a surprise. I just don't see the big deal here.

Dopers!!!

Cry me a river.
Visualising drug testers swooping on Bont in the Nike training centre in USA, or JackMac in the middle of a loch in Scotland, or interrupting Lachie proposing to his gf in Italy. Ridiculous, leave them alone.

Cry me a river.
Visualising drug testers swooping on Bont in the Nike training centre in USA, or JackMac in the middle of a loch in Scotland, or interrupting Lachie proposing to his gf in Italy. Ridiculous, leave them alone.
Or libba and co. at revolver smashing a couple of lines, leave the boys alone, it's the off season, if recreational drugs were off limits during the off season to the testers I wouldn't have a problem with it all

Or libba and co. at revolver smashing a couple of lines, leave the boys alone, it's the off season, if recreational drugs were off limits during the off season to the testers I wouldn't have a problem with it all
Yet if a player is photographed having a beer (e.g. Steven May earlier this year) all hell breaks loose.
They're still humans not robots.

Yet if a player is photographed having a beer (e.g. Steven May earlier this year) all hell breaks loose.
They're still humans not robots.
Agreed, putting too much pressure on them, they're young adult males with too much money to know what to do with, with a bunch of other young blokes who would probably prefer to be out drinking on the weekends then training and sacrificing there social life for most of the the year, let them have there fun ffs, it's a part of life.

The sanction was clearly about a day here and there missing from players travel schedules. I have no idea (actually I do) why it has morphed into a discussion about systematic doping and all that implies.

Actually you don’t coz I never mentioned PEDS until others did and then it got taken to an area way beyond even my first response.

But as I said, name and point and it’s all someone’s fault, the facts are irrelevant now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back