What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

yep bad decision.
only explanation , they drafted them and put work into them and wanted to give them every chance.
i can sort of understand that , but blind Freddy could see neither had the potential of McPherson.
i whined like a EH diff at the time.

Do you still have that EH King Harold?

yep bad decision.
only explanation , they drafted them and put work into them and wanted to give them every chance.
i can sort of understand that , but blind Freddy could see neither had the potential of McPherson.
i whined like a EH diff at the time.
Not sure about that. Hrovat captained his under 18 side. He was highly regarded.

Darcy wasn’t much chop in his U18 year. At the time it wasn’t a tough decision to not draft him. He was pick 21 in the rookie draft for a reason.
I wouldn't say that. He was battling injuries in draft year. He wasn't exactly a top-end talent, so drafting a player his size and injury history would've been too risky for any club to draft onto their senior list. He's only 174cm, and typically players that height or lower get drafted lower than what they're actually worth (if at all). Caleb Daniel for example was considered a top-10 pick based on talent alone, but got drafted at pick 46. Pretty much any player you can think of 174cm or lower were either late draft picks or rookies (well aside from Brent Daniels, who was drafted at pick 27, but he would've been a certain first-rounder if it wasn't for his height). And perhaps it wasn't that tough of a decision, but that was only because, heading into the rookie draft at the time, they were desperately in need of experience in Jed Adcock, and a young ruckman in Luke Goetz at the time. Simply put, it was too risky to have him on the senior list, and there just wasn't enough room for him on the rookie list (mainly due to the club prioritizing needs during the rookie draft).

Not sure about that. Hrovat captained his under 18 side. He was highly regarded.

Can only repeat what I have said HBG , for a start , not looking to hang people over the decision .
At the time we had 2 blokes of similar size who had been on the list a few years already , I had convinced myself neither of them had much chance of making it. From a total sample of 1.5 games ( from memory ) I saw McPherson play , I came to the conclusion he had a lot more upside.
i would have dumped Honeychurch for McPherson , but I don’t have all the info the club has to their reasoning.
Could be age list profile as an example , which is fair enough.

Anyhow all just opinions , but 2 are now playing suburban footy and one is a very promising young AFL footballer.

Can only repeat what I have said HBG , for a start , not looking to hang people over the decision .
At the time we had 2 blokes of similar size who had been on the list a few years already , I had convinced myself neither of them had much chance of making it. From a total sample of 1.5 games ( from memory ) I saw McPherson play , I came to the conclusion he had a lot more upside.
i would have dumped Honeychurch for McPherson , but I don’t have all the info the club has to their reasoning.
Could be age list profile as an example , which is fair enough.

Anyhow all just opinions , but 2 are now playing suburban footy and one is a very promising young AFL footballer.
That uncertainty about how players will develop (or not) over their career helps retain some of the attraction and romance of the draft.

I doubt we'll ever see another Chris Grant go at #105 again but in 2019 there were still two ex-rookie picks and two ND picks in the 50s who made the AA side, while a heap of top 10 picks never make the AA side during their career.

Good luck to young Darcy MacPherson who has seized his opportunity. We can't go beating ourselves up for the odd one that slips through the net. Let's just make sure we land his younger brother.

Didn't know where to put this so thought I'd post here

I've been going through some footy podcasts from other clubs to get a feel for how they've been tracking over preseason and what the expectations are for 2020. Most fan podcasts are more knowledgeable and have more civilized discussion than mainstream media will get you

I haven't been able to find a Bulldogs podcast though. The only one I can find is the official club one but I'm looking for a fan podcast. Every other club has at least one, even the Suns and GWS. It seems there was one Bulldogs one from 2 or 3 years ago but it didn't last. Does one exist? If not it seems like it's a gap in the market waiting to be filled by some keen Doggies supporters 👍🏼

Didn't know where to put this so thought I'd post here

I've been going through some footy podcasts from other clubs to get a feel for how they've been tracking over preseason and what the expectations are for 2020. Most fan podcasts are more knowledgeable and have more civilized discussion than mainstream media will get you

I haven't been able to find a Bulldogs podcast though. The only one I can find is the official club one but I'm looking for a fan podcast. Every other club has at least one, even the Suns and GWS. It seems there was one Bulldogs one from 2 or 3 years ago but it didn't last. Does one exist? If not it seems like it's a gap in the market waiting to be filled by some keen Doggies supporters 👍🏼
I listen to a lot of podcasts and have often thought about doing one. It's just a time thing though. I've got pre school kids which makes it hard. Living in the north east of Melbourne also means there are less dogs fans out here to do one with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dont agree looked ok to my eye.
2 short people retained now playing suburban footy , were never going to make it.
thats the context of my argument at the time.
no ones wanting to hang people over it.

Hrovat and Honeychurch were NEVER going to make it

I never saw a single instance either of them made me think they could be decent players at AFL level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back