What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robbo was a great mark for his height. Wallace recruited a Cats HBF, who could barely get a game first few years with us. Then switched to small forward, and he was dynamite. 45 goals in ‘06 was a great effort in particular.
Robbins turned out to be a very reliable kick for goal. Moving him forward was one of the very few things Rohde got right. Then he retired at the age of 30 and I thought he would've had a year or two left, unless there was some sort of injury? I've forgotten :(

I haven't listened to many of the Barkly St podcasts but the latest one with Matty Robbins brings back a lot of memories of the Dogs' great games during the 2000s. Also his highlights package on YouTube really makes you realise how good we were back then.

That mark he took against Brisbane should have been mark of the year, i was filthy he didn’t get it. One of my all time favourite player.

Underrated by many.
For a small he was strong, quick, great overhead and had a bit of mongrel. Would be very handy in today's team.

When he took that one handed spekky against the Lions the roar was incredible.
In the podcast he said he kept sledging Johnson, telling him not to stand in front of him unless he wanted to be used as a ladder, not seriously thinking it would happen :D.

Robbins turned out to be a very reliable kick for goal. Moving him forward was one of the very few things Rohde got right. Then he retired at the age of 30 and I thought he would've had a year or two left, unless there was some sort of injury? I've forgotten :(

In the podcast, said he’s been off work for more than 12 months with an ankle injury, but also said he hardly had an injuries during his footy career. He thinks the ankle may have been triggered by wear and tear playing footy though. (I was surprised he retired so soon too.)

In the podcast, said he’s been off work for more than 12 months with an ankle injury, but also said he hardly had an injuries during his footy career. He thinks the ankle may have been triggered by wear and tear playing footy though. (I was surprised he retired so soon too.)
Robbins certainly had a Specimen style rig going. The ankles did well to last as long as they did 😀

Weird headline considering only 1 of the 18 has put the drug takers in the top 8.

Interestingly it's not David King that has predicted this:

Those who have 'Dogs in top eight:

Robbo, David King, Glen McFarlane, Jon Anderson, Scott Gullan, Lauren Wood, Jay Clark, Jon Ralph, Michael Warner, Rebecca Williams, Chris Cavangh, Gilbert Gardiner, Cam Mooney, Daniel Hoyne, Matt Turner

That leaves 3 that didn't:

Andrew Capel, Reece Homfray, Sam Landsberger (although he has Bont for Brownlow)

In fact Bont has 6 out of the 18 picking him for the Brownlow.

Sorry not able to post full article as it's a 'click on ugly mug' to see their predictions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird headline considering only 1 of the 18 has put the drug takers in the top 8.

Interestingly it's not David King that has predicted this:

Those who have 'Dogs in top eight:

Robbo, David King, Glen McFarlane, Jon Anderson, Scott Gullan, Lauren Wood, Jay Clark, Jon Ralph, Michael Warner, Rebecca Williams, Chris Cavangh, Gilbert Gardiner, Cam Mooney, Daniel Hoyne, Matt Turner

That leaves 3 that didn't:

Andrew Capel, Reece Homfray, Sam Landsberger (although he has Bont for Brownlow)

In fact Bont has 6 out of the 18 picking him for the Brownlow.

Sorry not able to post full article as it's a 'click on ugly mug' to see their predictions.
Odd that Landsberger didn't put us in the 8 - isn't he a Dogs fan? Usually he's pretty positive about us. Not that I'm disagreeing with him, as it's all subjective guessing, just would've thought he'd be one of the first from that group to be optimistic on us, so it comes as a surprise

Robbins in 2005 and 2006 was very important to our side. His stats suggest that 2004 was actually better than his 2005 season, which I am surprised by. Can't argue with stats, I suppose.

Two things I take away from Robbins' career.

1. An opportunity presented itself when Nathan Brown decided to leave for more money and a premiership. Robbins filled that void, and did it well. He wouldn't have got that opportunity had Brown still been a part of our side.

2. This may not have been the main reason, but I believe the inclusion of Akermanis at the end of 2006 may not have been great for Robbins. Injuries obviously had a lot to do with it, but I doubt he would have had anywhere near the same impact regardless of whether he was fit or not. Afterall, Robbins did kick three goals in his final match (round 22, 2007), a match in which Aker didn't play.

I am surprised his highlights package on YouTube doesn't include his smother against Melbourne at the MCG in 2001. One of the best smothers I have ever seen. He became horizontally airborn, outstretched as he smothered a kick that was headed straight for David Neitz inside 50.

Odd that Landsberger didn't put us in the 8 - isn't he a Dogs fan? Usually he's pretty positive about us. Not that I'm disagreeing with him, as it's all subjective guessing, just would've thought he'd be one of the first from that group to be optimistic on us, so it comes as a surprise
He certainly is - on that topic I just so happened to spot him today in a recent video put up by sackofballs celebrating after the 2010 NAB cup win..

1591605498540.png

I am surprised his highlights package on YouTube doesn't include his smother against Melbourne at the MCG in 2001. One of the best smothers I have ever seen. He became horizontally airborn, outstretched as he smothered a kick that was headed straight for David Neitz inside 50.
He also took a mark running with the flight of the ball v Adelaide at Football Park in 2001 (Gia’s 1st game) which was extremely courageous - and in my opinion one of the best marks a WB player has taken. Can’t find it on You Tube. I had the match on VHS. Hopefully I still have it.

He also took a mark running with the flight of the ball v Adelaide at Football Park in 2001 (Gia’s 1st game) which was extremely courageous - and in my opinion one of the best marks a WB player has taken. Can’t find it on You Tube. I had the match on VHS. Hopefully I still have it.
A great game. One of the highest scoring wet weather matches you're ever likely to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back