What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Liam Pickering on SEN just now reckons it's too late to reduce list sizes for next year, it might have to be the following year. Reason being that clubs would need time to manage contracts around the reduction.

Last edited:

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Liam Pickering on SEN just now reckons it's too late to reduce list sizes for next year, it might have to be the following year.
Of course it is. They have dragged their feet big time. They only officially cut their workforce at AFL HQ this month. No way should clubs have two months notice (assuming a decision was made today) to formulate a list management strategy based on a potential list size cut of more than 10%. The other thing that makes it tricky is many clubs have majority of their list contracted for next year. Suspect they announce list reductions prior to trade period this year, but will take effect for the 2022 season, along with a reduced salary cap to match the smaller lists.

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Of course it is. They have dragged their feet big time. They only officially cut their workforce at AFL HQ this month. No way should clubs have two months notice (assuming a decision was made today) to formulate a list management strategy based on a potential list size cut of more than 10%. The other thing that makes it tricky is many clubs have majority of their list contracted for next year. Suspect they announce list reductions prior to trade period this year, but will take effect for the 2022 season, along with a reduced salary cap to match the smaller lists.
If player A is contracted through 2021 and player B is out of contract at the end of the year, player B would need to go when it may be in the club's longer term interest to keep player B. Would need at least 12 months to work through all that and align contract end dates.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If player A is contracted through 2021 and player B is out of contract at the end of the year, player B would need to go when it may be in the club's longer term interest to keep player B. Would need at least 12 months to work through all that and align contract end dates.
Exactly. Even then it would be borderline given the longer term contracts that many players would have signed. 12 months is enough to give the clubs at least some flexibility though. If it were to take effect for 2022 season, i'd imagine Suckling, Wood and Duryea (depending how his body holds up in 2021) are immediate casualties anyway.
Dickson goes this year along with any of Lynch, Porter, Khamis, Gowers and Lloyd imo. Doesn't make too much sense to cut super deep this year given how speculative the draft will be.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Hey team, did anyone have a look at the “likely All-Australian” article on the WB website? I think it fairly identifies our best performers but Libbas player ranking threw me. Must be a typo right?
0AE4EDD4-8F7D-4FEC-A6BD-7E0FB9E5E9DF.jpeg

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey team, did anyone have a look at the “likely All-Australian” article on the WB website? I think it fairly identifies our best performers but Libbas player ranking threw me. Must be a typo right?
View attachment 954268

nah he’s been excellent. His 1st half vs Melbourne (windy conditions and a very good oppo midfield) was probably the best half of footy ive seen from a dogs player this year. Only had 11 disposals but he had 7 clearances and a goal.

he’s been fantastic. I have him top 5 bnf currently.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
nah he’s been excellent. His 1st half vs Melbourne (windy conditions and a very good oppo midfield) was probably the best half of footy ive seen from a dogs player this year. Only had 11 disposals but he had 7 clearances and a goal.

he’s been fantastic. I have him top 5 bnf currently.
I wasn’t questioning his performance this year (I would have him in the top 3 BnF too) just the listed AFL player ranking (26th) in the article. He wouldn’t be anywhere near that would be?

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And to top things off...... Cotchin's spa frequenting CV19 AFL rule breaking wife is actually Ricky Kennedy's daughter.

He's my favorite of all time for the Doggies. :( At least he had a go at Richmond - still a Doggie at heart :)

Brooke Cotchin reveals stress of online bullying following AFL hub drama
After opening up on the devastating impact her now-infamous COVID-19 breach has continued to cause, Brooke Cotchin’s father has leaped to her defence and slammed Richmond and the AFL for their “disappointing” handling of the situation.
JACKIE EPSTEIN, Herald Sun
August 29, 2020 7:59am
Brooke Cotchin has opened up about the fallout from the AFL hubs scandal.

Brooke Cotchin has opened up about the fallout from the AFL hubs scandal.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entert...s/news-story/2864832640be025baa501e3d646a9000
Brooke Cotchin was ready to do whatever it took to keep her family together this footy season.

That’s why she didn’t hesitate to fly to Queensland in the first week of July with husband Trent and their three young children.

But what was to be a 32-day stint in the AFL hub has turned into a much longer time away from home. And on top of that, at the end of the same month, she was outed as having breached the strict COVID-19 hub rules.

She posted a picture on her Instagram after visiting a day spa and the fallout was intense.

Richmond received a hefty $45,000 fine ($25,000 suspended) which the Cotchins have offered to pay. AFL website journalist Mitch Cleary was temporarily stood down after he shared a tweet that named Cotchin as the offender.

Cotchin took to Instagram to apologise and explain her error, and also offered support for Cleary.

But the gravity of the situation has caused continuing personal stress and anxiety which Cotchin has candidly revealed for the first time.

“It still haunts me and still sets off my anxiety but from your darkest times come your greatest lessons and I am just trying to take each day as it comes,’’ Cotchin says.

“That being said, I am human and humans are all imperfect.”

The Instagram post that caused it all.

Cotchin went on to detail the abuse she has copped. The mum of three — to kids Harper, 5, Mackenzie, 4, and Parker, 1 — boasts more than 36,000 followers but has not posted to her account since apologising on August 3.

Prior to that Cotchin had kept her followers updated by regularly posting pictures and videos of the family’s movements. People have reached out to tell her they miss seeing their bubbly and smiling faces.

“It was a really hard time for not only me but our family,’’ Cotchin says.

“I was in a very bad place for a little while and it took some time to dig myself out.

“Dealing with the lengths of the online bullying was and is something I am learning to try and block out. Some of the vile comments and personal messages were gut wrenching and it breaks my heart that people deal with this on a daily basis.

“On the flip side, I have received so many heartwarming messages that I hope to find the time to reply to because they are a big reason for allowing me to move forward.”

“My own view and this is not coming from Trent and Brooke, I think the AFL and Richmond handled it really poorly,” Kennedy said on Triple M.

“They talk today a big game about supporting women and coming in behind and promoting women and what they really did was shut her down and didn’t allow her to go public and take responsibility.

“And that took a few days to work its way through. So I think the disappointing thing from where I sit was that they had a prime opportunity to come out and support a woman in a real live case, rather than just words.”

Kennedy said he had even tried to take on the trolls himself.

“I think the hardest thing is you’re feeling fairly helpless and you’re just trying to support your daughter,’’ he said.

“I’m generally the first one to tell her when she’s made a mistake. It’s the tough times you come in to support your family and your friends.

“Effectively she was muzzled, so people are making comments and having views without having all the facts.

“If you met people face-to-face you generally don’t have those conversations, but it is easy on Instagram or Facebook to have a go.”

What type of loser “follows” a footy players wife on social media??

I don't know what possesses people to put these things on social media in the first place. Should be a police matter not something you post online for some likes
I think the ways put it out there themselves anyway

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't know what possesses people to put these things on social media in the first place. Should be a police matter not something you post online for some likes

Putting it on social media while making no report to police at the time is troubling imo.

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

22 Under 22 40-man squad is out. Our candidates are Baz and Naughts.
Not sure how they can call it 22 under 22 when there are players in there who are almost 23.
Bailey Williams unlucky to be overlooked considering other players his age have been included.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure how they can call it 22 under 22 when there are players in there who are almost 23.
Bailey Williams unlucky to be overlooked considering other players his age have been included.

"To be eligible for selection, players must be aged 22 or under for the entire season (including finals)." He's super unlucky, if the GF was on its normal day he'd qualify, but with a late October GF and him having an early October birthday he just misses out.

This is not specifically Bulldogs related but it's worth a read following the news that Danny Frawley was suffering from CTE.

CTE is associated with sportsmen (and presumably sportswomen too) who have received repeated blows to the head. However it's not necessarily a simple case of A causes B (although that's likely) as CTE has been found in people with no known history of head knocks. Also CTE is not the only outcome that can occur from concussions. Headaches, dizziness, fatigue, disorientation etc are also common. Just ask Liam Picken.

It also discusses the challenge of determining how much rest is required before it's considered safe to start playing again. I read today that Josh Kelly (GWS) has been held back for a second week after his recent concussion.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Hey team, the below article is about Collingwood and what’s happened there since the 2010 flag. I couldn’t stop thinking about the similarities and parallels to our club since 2016 and the direction we may take over the next 5 years. There is also the fact that Bevo was actually at the pies at the time. Anyways definitely worth a read and would love to discuss it with anyone who finds it interesting.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone have access to the Herald sun? There is an article that the dogs have requested a travel exception and could be an advantage for finals. I can’t access it to see what the full story and details are

The AFL is set to grant the Western Bulldogs a rare travel request and send them to Cairns a day early for their season-defining battle against Fremantle in Round 18.
The Bulldogs need to knock over Hawthorn (Adelaide Oval) and Fremantle (Cazaly’s Stadium) to scrape into an elimination final and have managed to avoid a same-day travel itinerary for both matches.

They will share a chartered flight to Adelaide with Essendon on Saturday morning before Sunday’s clash against the Hawks.

But it was Round 18 that loomed as problematic for coach Luke Beveridge because the Dogs are travelling to Cairns by themselves.

The Dockers have been based in Cairns since last Thursday and upset Melbourne at Cazaly’s Stadium on Monday night.

similars

The Demons were furious at being forced to travel to Cairns on game day in Round 15, when they touched down just hours before the first bounce against Sydney.

The Swans had spent several days at the Cairns hub and had trained at the windy ground.

“We would’ve loved to have been up here before the day of the game to get a feel for the conditions,” Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin said on Sunday.

“It is different. It’s windy every day – so we need to plan for that and be ready for that.”

The Bulldogs wouldn’t confirm their itinerary when contacted on Wednesday.

But it’s believed that league officials have already given them the green light to fly north from Gold Coast next Saturday.

The Dogs are 4-0 at Cazaly’s Stadium – all against Gold Coast – and boast an average winning margin of 38 points at that ground.

The conditions shouldn’t be too foreign for the Bulldogs given 14 players from the club’s last game in the regional town remain on the list.

Crossy on the podcast. :thumbsu:

Don't know if you've ever seen this. It still brings tears to my eyes. One of the best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back