What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twomey lists us as having 2 vacant list spots - as is typical with AFL.com.au articles, I'm 99.9% sure their information is false, unless he knows something we don't about McLean's recovery. Also makes no mention of Raak

Twomey lists us as having 2 vacant list spots - as is typical with AFL.com.au articles, I'm 99.9% sure their information is false, unless he knows something we don't about McLean's recovery. Also makes no mention of Raak

We have one senior spot which has to be filled to make AFL minimums

after that I think we only have a Cat B rookie spot available (but stand to be corrected)

The way the dogs media are saying, sounds like he might be back to training mid year

We have one senior spot which has to be filled to make AFL minimums

after that I think we only have a Cat B rookie spot available (but stand to be corrected)

by my count we have

35 - senior listed

6 rookie listed

1 Cat B rookie

We must fill one senior spot as the minimum is 36

Max list size is 44 - so we can add 2 senior spots or 1 senior and 1 Cat B (we have a full compliment of 6 Rookies)

I think we're better off waiting until mid season draft. With no under age footy in Vic last year and a low number of players drafted there will undoubtedly be some late bloomers who were overlooked. Could be a real bargain there.

Unless we plan on playing whoever we pick up in the first half of the year there's not much benefit to listing anyone now. Especially if the 3 guys training with us are going to play for Footscray.

Unless we think Preston will explode and another club picks him up in the mid year draft before us.

“Jamarra is such an outrageously good talent and it is just about him now trying to work into our system,” Wallis said.

Which is code for

Jamarra will have to get used to s**t delivery into our forward line, then get spoiled by one of our other tall forwards running into his space and then watch the defence waltz the ball straight out again, setting up a goal for them.

Essendon great Matthew Lloyd has listed the players who he thinks are primed for big 2021 seasons.

Speaking on Sportsday on Monday night, Lloyd named his ‘February Flyers' - players who have caught the eye during the pre-season.

Aaron Naughton (Western Bulldogs)

“I was at a function and a Western Bulldogs player was there, I won’t say who he was," Lloyd said.

“He said Aaron Naughton in training has been unstoppable. I think he could be an outstanding centre-half back but forward is where they need him.

“They said that in one of the games he played … in three quarters of footy had 24 disposals, 14 marks and kicked five goals - and he took a mark that they believe would have been Mark of the Year.

Essendon great Matthew Lloyd has listed the players who he thinks are primed for big 2021 seasons.

Speaking on Sportsday on Monday night, Lloyd named his ‘February Flyers' - players who have caught the eye during the pre-season.

“I was at a function and a Western Bulldogs player was there, I won’t say who he was," Lloyd said.

“He said Aaron Naughton in training has been unstoppable. I think he could be an outstanding centre-half back but forward is where they need him.

“They said that in one of the games he played … in three quarters of footy had 24 disposals, 14 marks and kicked five goals - and he took a mark that they believe would have been Mark of the Year.
If the thing about the mark is true - 17 other clubs would have plastered that all over their social media. Freo just did with Fyfe. Bit of a missed opportunity there to build hype

If Naught's can up his output to 15-20 disposals per game it goes a long way to him becoming a more consistent forward.
He's just too patchy so far and too many games with less than 10 possessions where he's not really impacting.

If Naught's can up his output to 15-20 disposals per game it goes a long way to him becoming a more consistent forward.
He's just too patchy so far and too many games with less than 10 possessions where he's not really impacting.
People criticise Bruce for lacking impact in so many games in 2020, but Naughton was arguably about as bad.

Bruce had 10+ disposals in 5/17 games, while Naughton had 10+ disposals in 3/12.
Take away both their 6 goal games they had, and Bruce kicked 8 goals in 16 games (0.5/game) while Naughton had 9 goals in 11 games (0.82/game), meaning both went at less than 1 goal/game outside of an outlier.
Bruce averaged 1.65 tackles/game, while Naughton averaged 0.75.

It's not good for the team when your two key forwards so often have no impact on a game. Naughton was carrying a few injury troubles, while Bruce was carrying a small child in extra weight, so hopefully with those two areas addressed they can each have more impact on games this year, even when not kicking goals.

If the thing about the mark is true - 17 other clubs would have plastered that all over their social media. Freo just did with Fyfe. Bit of a missed opportunity there to build hype
Our club under Bevo has always been about playing it's cards close to it's chest rather than generating hype.
I understand that some people crave any kind of content through the off season but I am fine with us putting football first.

Our club under Bevo has always been about playing it's cards close to it's chest rather than generating hype.
I understand that some people crave any kind of content through the off season but I am fine with us putting football first.
I'm more than happy for us to not give full sequences of game play so we don't give anything away, but snippets of highlights couldn't hurt. Naughton taking a hanger, a forward kicking a banana or even just a player selling candy would make for good content without telling the opposition anything about how we move the ball or structure up. I'd prefer that over those 30 seconds videos of slowed down snippets of a player kicking the ball with music over the top.

People criticise Bruce for lacking impact in so many games in 2020, but Naughton was arguably about as bad.

Bruce had 10+ disposals in 5/17 games, while Naughton had 10+ disposals in 3/12.
Take away both their 6 goal games they had, and Bruce kicked 8 goals in 16 games (0.5/game) while Naughton had 9 goals in 11 games (0.82/game), meaning both went at less than 1 goal/game outside of an outlier.
Bruce averaged 1.65 tackles/game, while Naughton averaged 0.75.

It's not good for the team when your two key forwards so often have no impact on a game. Naughton was carrying a few injury troubles, while Bruce was carrying a small child in extra weight, so hopefully with those two areas addressed they can each have more impact on games this year, even when not kicking goals.

Naughton had several games when he missed 2 to 3 quarters due to injury (Sydney, Fremantle) not to mention an awful preseason with a bunch of surgeries. He probably shouldn't have played the first round of the season against Collingwood either.

Not to mention he takes the number one defender. Think he had some genuine reasons why.

He's going to be much more consistent this season. I actually believe some of his better games is when he's played more CHF and only kicked a couple but had a dominant impact around the ground.

To me his best role is as the CHF and to be pushed deep once hes got his hands on it a bit. Rather than just sticking him in the square. His best games are when he gets involved early up the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naughton had several games when he missed 2 to 3 quarters due to injury (Sydney, Fremantle) not to mention an awful preseason with a bunch of surgeries. He probably shouldn't have played the first round of the season against Collingwood either.

Not to mention he takes the number one defender. Think he had some genuine reasons why.

He's going to be much more consistent this season. I actually believe some of his better games is when he's played more CHF and only kicked a couple but had a dominant impact around the ground.

To me his best role is as the CHF and to be pushed deep once hes got his hands on it a bit. Rather than just sticking him in the square. His best games are when he gets involved early up the ground.
Absolutely - we don't need him deep forward. Wallis thrives in that role, and I feel it will suit JUH when he is ready. Naughton should be roaming all the way up the ground like we saw against Richmond in 2019. Even without the 5 goals, he would have been best on ground due to the presence he had up the wings taking contested marks. I'm optimistic about both Naughton and Bruce this year, even if I'm not the biggest fan of the pairing

Absolutely - we don't need him deep forward. Wallis thrives in that role, and I feel it will suit JUH when he is ready. Naughton should be roaming all the way up the ground like we saw against Richmond in 2019. Even without the 5 goals, he would have been best on ground due to the presence he had up the wings taking contested marks. I'm optimistic about both Naughton and Bruce this year, even if I'm not the biggest fan of the pairing

Happy to give the combination 4 games or so. Bruce looks much fitter so thats a start. Bruce should also only have to focus on playing forward now that we have Martin to help English.

Those 4 weeks also give JUH some VFL games to get a bit of match fitness up.

My guess is that Bruce becomes a solid but not spectacular contributor. The Essendon game where he was decent and popped up with a couple of goals and some solid efforts should be the benchmark.

Not worried about Naughton more concerned about who was his opponent or opponents.

I'm more than happy for us to not give full sequences of game play so we don't give anything away, but snippets of highlights couldn't hurt. Naughton taking a hanger, a forward kicking a banana or even just a player selling candy would make for good content without telling the opposition anything about how we move the ball or structure up. I'd prefer that over those 30 seconds videos of slowed down snippets of a player kicking the ball with music over the top.
Well we certainly got one of those "snippets" today titled 'Training Day', a 60 second grab of bits and pieces that showed virtually nothing. Not sure if it really is better than nothing.

Well we certainly got one of those "snippets" today titled 'Training Day', a 60 second grab of bits and pieces that showed virtually nothing. Not sure if it really is better than nothing.

Did it have some really cool music accompanying it?!?!

Did it have some really cool music accompanying it?!?!

yeah - we also got to see some training cones & water bottles

but the best bit was the inbuilt graphics as players kicked and marked the ball

scintillating stuff

yeah - we also got to see some training cones & water bottles

but the best bit was the inbuilt graphics as players kicked and marked the ball

scintillating stuff
Either the media department is under strict instructions to show nothing that resembles real training action or some of the Vic Uni Screen Media students have been invited down to prepare a jazzed up montage of images for their next media assignment. Anyway, I didn't dig it.

Naughtys the best prospect, bar none, in the league. I don’t know why people still aren’t seeing this
I love Naughton and wouldn't trade him for anyone, but Matt Rowell could've had a serious run at the Brownlow last year if he hadn't injured his shoulder

I love Naughton and wouldn't trade him for anyone, but Matt Rowell could've had a serious run at the Brownlow last year if he hadn't injured his shoulder
Fair, we’ll see how he holds up over more than 3 games though. I wouldn’t be trading the best KPF forward in the comp for him at this stage though.

Fair, we’ll see how he holds up over more than 3 games though. I wouldn’t be trading the best KPF forward in the comp for him at this stage though.
Oh no way in hell would I trade Naughton for Rowell - he's just one of the few who has good claim for being the best.

Naughton, King twins, Walsh, Smith, Rowell, Balta and Oscar Allen are easily the best young prospects in the league, and any team would kill to have one of these guys on their side. Us and the Suns are lucky to have 2 each. Three if you count JUH ;)

Oh no way in hell would I trade Naughton for Rowell - he's just one of the few who has good claim for being the best.

Naughton, King twins, Walsh, Smith, Rowell, Balta and Oscar Allen are easily the best young prospects in the league, and any team would kill to have one of these guys on their side. Us and the Suns are lucky to have 2 each. Three if you count JUH ;)

Would also throw Rankine in there. So far his best has been fantastic, though he's made some mistakes and played a bit selfish sometimes, which I'm not surprised by given his age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back