Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would also throw Rankine in there. So far his best has been fantastic, though he's made some mistakes and played a bit selfish sometimes, which I'm not surprised by given his age.
Lukosius is looking to be a seriously good player too. If the Suns develop their kids right, I can't think of any teams in modern AFL history who have been this stacked in the 18-22 age bracket

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lukosius is looking to be a seriously good player too. If the Suns develop their kids right, I can't think of any teams in modern AFL history who have been this stacked in the 18-22 age bracket

Hawks:
Hodge, Roughead, Franklin, Kennedy, Rioli
(did not include Lewis as isn’t a star like the others).

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would also throw Rankine in there. So far his best has been fantastic, though he's made some mistakes and played a bit selfish sometimes, which I'm not surprised by given his age.

‘Connor Rozee and Butters should be included as well. 2018 and 2019 drafts are looking exceptional.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
‘Connor Rozee and Butters should be included as well. 2018 and 2019 drafts are looking exceptional.

Butters had the best 2020 out of his entire draft class, and that's including future Brownlow medallists Smith and Walsh, Ben King who's doing unbelievable things for a 2-metre 20-year-old, and the sublimely talented Rankine. Love seeing a Western Jets kid do great things.

If naughts is in the sort of form where he is clunking 14 marks in 3 quarters of football, it doesn’t matter who is playing on him.
Unless we had a KPD on loan from another club I'm cautious about what it means.

Keath is a fantastic interceptor and no 2 KPD but not really a no 1 KPD.
That means Naughton was on either Gardner, or Lewis Young or Cordy who both appear to be behind Gardner based on today's praccy matches.

Disclaimer: I was once happy when Kieren McGuinness kicked 3 goals on Brian Harris in a practice game. Learned my lesson that year.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Unless we had a KPD on loan from another club I'm cautious about what it means.

Keath is a fantastic interceptor and no 2 KPD but not really a no 1 KPD.
That means Naughton was on either Gardner, or Lewis Young or Cordy who both appear to be behind Gardner based on today's praccy matches.

Disclaimer: I was once happy when Kieren McGuinness kicked 3 goals on Brian Harris in a practice game. Learned my lesson that year.
Keath showed his quite capable of playing number 1, plus he’s a good match up for Nauhty. There’s no doubt He’s at least spent most of that game on Keath.

AFL pre-season news: Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn trial game, SuperCoach players to watch
Will Ben McEvoy’s return to the ruck be enough to entice KFC SuperCoaches in 2021? Check out all the intel from the Dogs-Hawks practice game.

Jay Clark

February 25, 2021 - 7:32AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/.../3e9fb893d969c461b0909321bf283211#share-tools

The AFL’s new man on the mark rule has passed its first test with flying colours with the first practice match of the pre-season delivering 44 scoring shots.
Despite widespread cynicism, there was not a single 50m penalty paid for moving on the mark or any significant confusion as Hawthorn pipped Western Bulldogs by 15 points at Whitten Oval on Wednesday.

Without some of the Hawks’ biggest names, onballer James Worpel and forward Luke Breust starred as wingman Connor Downie firmed for a Round 1 debut in the 15.7 (97) to 12.10 (82) win.

KEEP SCROLLING FOR DOGS-HAWKS PLAYER REVIEWS

Importantly, there were many occasions on Wednesday where both teams were able to bypass the man on the mark and move the ball quickly on with a short pass to a teammate on the inside.

The only 50m penalty came when young Dog Ewan McPherson encroached on the protected area from the far side as Marcus Bontempelli stood motionless on the mark, resulting in a late James Cousins goal.

It was feared there would be a spate of early 50m penalties throughout the pre-season, creating farcical scenes, but the adjustment was seamless on Wednesday as AFL football boss Steve Hocking watched on.

The umpires dodged any moments of controversy during the Western Bulldogs-Hawthorn trial game.

It is a confidence-boosting tick for the league which introduced the rule without any trials in the state leagues in a desperate bid to make the game more free-flowing and increase scoring.

Teams only averaged 76 points a game last season (increased to normalised playing time) amid significant concerns congestion was suffocating the game and turning off fans.

But the man on the mark is now anchored to one spot until the umpire calls play on, giving the player in possession more scope to attack the game through the corridor.

Hawthorn assistant coach Chris Newman said the new rule had the desired effect in its first proper hitout.

“You can see it promotes more free-flowing football, because what it does is it opens up an avenue or a lane to be able to execute your kicks,” Newman said.
“So if the AFL are after a faster brand of footy, then you could see a little bit of that today.

“It is really hard to get a grasp on how it exactly will impact the competition, but the biggest thing is shaking the habit of being on the mark and being able to move both ways.

“Once you are in that position to stand you are basically a sitting duck so that’s the other thing is trying to explore ways you can defend as well as exploiting that rule.”

There was strong criticism of the rule on Tuesday after Essendon forward Kyle Langford was shown conceding a 50m penalty when he took two steps to the right in an intra-club game.

Port Adelaide great and commentator Kane Cornes said “It is unbelievable how bad this rule is. It is absolutely horrible viewing”.

But the league is confident hundreds of club visits and umpire consultations will ensure the players and whistleblowers are up to speed for the season-opener on March 18.

Bulldogs assistant coach Rohan Smith said it would be tricky for the umpires but ultimately positive for the game.

“We have been practising that rule a little bit and it is hard for the umpires too,” Smith said.

“Are they keeping their eye on the ball — the guy with the ball? Or the man on the mark, which is really hard.

“I’m a defensive coach, so I don’t really want to see that many scoring shots but it was good for the game.”

Smith said the players on the mark had to fight their natural instincts to move and cut down angles for the person in possession.
“They are certainly getting used to standing still, which is probably ingrained in their nature,” Smith said.

“The first thing (you want to do) is to move on the mark, so standing still it is going to take a little bit of time, but the boys are getting used to it.”
[PLAYERCARD]Caleb Daniel[/PLAYERCARD] was brilliant at halfback for the Bulldogs.

Caleb Daniel was brilliant at halfback for the Bulldogs.

WHAT HAPPENED IN THE MATCH?
The young Hawks overcame a slow start to run over the top of the Bulldogs in an impressive start to the pre-season for the brown and gold.

Ultimately, Luke Breust and James Worpel were the two who dragged the Hawks back into the contest, but Alastair Clarkson would be happy with the signs from his youngsters including Oliver Hanrahan (three goals), midfielder James Cousins and first-year wingman Connor Downie.

Mitch Lewis nailed two majors and Tim O’Brien took some strong grabs in the absence of Jon Patton (personal).

It was a flat finish from the Dogs who had a stronger side on paper even without Jack Macrae and Aaron Naughton.

Tim English was excellent as a key forward, showing his mobility to reel in some high and low-down marks. Stef Martin competed hard in the ruck.

Marcus Bontempelli was one of the Dogs’ best but again struggled with his set shot kicking, missing one straightforward attempt from 20m out in front.
Caleb Daniel excelled in the back half.

Selection puzzle
First-year Hawk Connor Downie could step straight into a wing position following the departures of Tom Scully and Isaac Smith.

Downie had a big impact in the second term and showed he already has one of the most penetrating kicks on the team.

An exciting prospect who already has the physical strength to hold his own.

Former Crow Kyle Hartigan will also start at full back and was among the best players on Wednesday.

Changkuoth Jiath was busy rebounding from half back and is set for an early guernsey.

The Dogs have a healthy list at the moment but first-year forward-midfielder Lachie McNeil had some eye-catching moments and isn’t out of the running, while Anthony Scott is vying for a vacant list spot.
Lachlan McNeil put his name forward as a Round 1 bolter.

Lachlan McNeil put his name forward as a Round 1 bolter.

Adam Treloar (calf) and Jack Macrae (personal) sat out on Wednesday but are expected to be fit for Round 1.

In their absence Josh Dunkley was prominent in the engine room after his failed Essendon trade request, while Bailey Smith got going after a slow start. Naughton (corkie) should play next week.

Ones to watch

Ben McEvoy
Will return to the No. 1 ruck role after spending the year in a key defensive spot. As captain, that’s where the Hawks believe McEvoy can have the greatest impact, especially with Hartigan helping bolster the defence. Jon Ceglar had an average 2020 season and will float between ruck-forward. Hawks need to find another ruckman in the trade period or draft.

Tom Phillips
The former Collingwood wingman rolled up his sleeves in an onball role to help the fight in the engine room without Tom Mitchell. The busy Phillips certainly showcased his running power and looks set to win plenty of the ball in his hybrid role, after falling out of favour with the Magpies. Expect him to play 20 games.
Tim English is set to spend more time forward after the arrival of [PLAYERCARD]Stefan Martin[/PLAYERCARD].

Tim English is set to spend more time forward after the arrival of Stefan Martin.

Tim English
The Dogs are going for a big forward line in 2021. English was really encouraging on Wednesday snagging two goals playing predominantly forward. Aaron Naughton and Josh Bruce will join him in the forward set up for Round 1 meaning the Dogs will have plenty of tall marking options. Bruce took a strong contested mark but was in and out of the game.

Sidelined
Hawks
Chad Wingard (calf), Jack Gunston (back) and Tom Mitchell (shoulder) are all in doubt for Round 1. James Sicily (knee) will return later in the year as he recovers from a knee reconstruction.
More Coverage
More key Hawks in doubt for Round 1 after setbacksInterstate travel off for pre-season fixtures
Dogs
Aaron Naughton (corked leg) sat out as a precaution, while Adam Treloar (calf) is confident he will play in Round 1. Jack Macrae (personal) was absent on Wednesday. Toby Mclean (knee) and Easton Wood (hamstring) also missed. No. 1 draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan played in the reserves game in a sign he is not in the best 22 at this stage.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Naught's can up his output to 15-20 disposals per game it goes a long way to him becoming a more consistent forward.
He's just too patchy so far and too many games with less than 10 possessions where he's not really impacting.
Dosent help when he has had regular injuries

He just needs a long run at it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone listen to Garry and Tim on SEN this morning? Just caught the tail end of a discussion on Wateley just now where it was mentioned that a discussion on the morning program about B Smith and mental health issues. Anything in it or did I just hear wrong. ?

Anyone listen to Garry and Tim on SEN this morning? Just caught the tail end of a discussion on Wateley just now where it was mentioned that a discussion on the morning program about B Smith and mental health issues. Anything in it or did I just hear wrong. ?

didn't hear it wrong - there is an article up on AFL.com

The Buck

All Australian
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

'I broke down at the club': Bailey's battle with mental health revealed
Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith opens up on his over-thinking and mental health struggles

By Damian Barrett - 2 hrs ago

DE9oJHLg.jpg

Bailey Smith during a Western Bulldogs training session at Whitten Oval on January 13, 2021. Picture: Getty Images
WESTERN Bulldogs star Bailey Smith has revealed that behind the rock star looks and alongside the extraordinary opening two seasons of his AFL career is a 20-year-old living with a mental health condition.
In a revealing and raw interview with AFL.com.au where he volunteered discussion about his mental health, Smith urged the AFL industry to open itself further to discussing and dealing with the issue.
The gun midfielder, who has played all possible 41 Bulldogs matches since being drafted in 2018, said football was "only the tiniest bit of me", that "you can never judge a book by its cover", and that premiership player and current assistant coach Dale Morris was one of many Bulldogs people who have helped him deal with his struggles.
"There was actually a time where (Morris) looked after me - I broke down at the club, everyone had left one night, and I was just struggling, this was in my first year, when it all gets too much for you," Smith said.

11:31 Mins
Published 4 hrs ago
Toe to toe with Damo: Bailey Smith opens up about his 'mental demons'
Western Bulldogs young gun Bailey Smith speaks candidly to Damian Barrett about his mental health issues
"Everyone had left. And he walked into the changerooms and gave me a big hug and said, 'I'm here for you'."

Smith, who turned 20 last December, said he had always been an "over-thinker" and "perfectionist".

"We've all got demons, we've all got things that make us anxious or struggle, and I've got my own mental health which I deal with, as I'm sure lots of people do, but it's just not spoken about as much as I'd like it, and I know we are getting better as a society and as footballers, talking about it, but we can be seen as easy going, living the dream, loving it," he said.

19WBFr19MW1479.JPG

Bailey Smith and Dale Morris after a match between the Western Bulldogs and Fremantle at Marvel Stadium in 2019. Picture: AFL Photos
"It can be the truth, it can be the story but you can never judge a book by its cover. There's a lot going on. I'm an over-thinker, always have been.

"… it stems from growing up through school, and footy and stuff. I haven't been too open about it but I probably need to address it a bit more if it comes up in conversation. I think it's healthy to talk about it, and know that everyone doesn't always cope as well as they would like, and it's OK to put your hand up and say you're struggling.

2021 FREE AGENTS Check out who is up for grabs

"The club is really good, very open with this, and lots of my teammates know I struggle at times. People knew I had mental health issues before I got drafted, which is something which is OK and I take in my stride. It makes me a lot better and makes me who I am."

In the interview, Smith referred to two Baileys - the AFL footballer and the one known to those outside football.

The non-footballer, he said, was: "A sensitive, caring person, (who) loves talking to people, getting to know people, I love my dogs and love being relaxed. Football is only the tiniest bit of me, it used to be all of me, but I'm trying to steer clear of that because it is not a healthy way to be.

"That helps a lot in terms of not riding every bump which happens in football, because if you do that, it is such an emotionally tolling experience. And I did that last year, the year before, and it takes a big toll on you. The less you can see football as you, and solely you, I feel the easier it is to cope with the pressures, the talk.

"When you are a kid, you think about it, you had football, you had school, you had so much going on, and football was what you loved, and you have to try to keep it that way. It doesn't have to be solely you.

"It comes with over-thinking, I love thinking, I love exploring, I love listening to more mature, wiser people and feed that into my life."

DOG BARKING Reborn Bulldog to help Bont in slashed leadership group

Conceding that as a perfectionist he would never be perfect, Smith said pursuing perfection was important.

"That's the thing – you chase it, you're never going to get it, and I understand that and I don't do my head over that," he said.

"But I think it is important to have expectations of yourself and strive for whatever you want to be, and whatever that is, just chase it. You have to understand though you are never going to get there, it is a neverending thing, but the fun of chasing it is something I am very attracted to."

18FrWB20IH354068613.JPG

Bailey Smith celebrates a goal against the Dockers in round 18, 2020. Picture: AFL Photos
Asked what perfection might look like to him, he said: "I was thinking more like just having a family, happy, kids, just chilling after having a nice career, working away and going on holidays with the kids, as simple as that, it'd be pretty fun.

"With football, give me three, four, five (premierships) … three would be nice, one would be nice, just to play in one and make it there."

>> Lifeline is an Official Charity Partner of the AFL, which provides all Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention services.

Lifeline is a national charity and relies on community support. Donate online or call 1800 800 768 to support Lifeline.

For crisis or suicide prevention support, please call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or visit lifeline.org.au/gethelp.

Other support services include:

'I broke down at the club': Bailey's battle with mental health revealed
Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith opens up on his over-thinking and mental health struggles

By Damian Barrett - 2 hrs ago

DE9oJHLg.jpg

Bailey Smith during a Western Bulldogs training session at Whitten Oval on January 13, 2021. Picture: Getty Images
WESTERN Bulldogs star Bailey Smith has revealed that behind the rock star looks and alongside the extraordinary opening two seasons of his AFL career is a 20-year-old living with a mental health condition.
In a revealing and raw interview with AFL.com.au where he volunteered discussion about his mental health, Smith urged the AFL industry to open itself further to discussing and dealing with the issue.
The gun midfielder, who has played all possible 41 Bulldogs matches since being drafted in 2018, said football was "only the tiniest bit of me", that "you can never judge a book by its cover", and that premiership player and current assistant coach Dale Morris was one of many Bulldogs people who have helped him deal with his struggles.
"There was actually a time where (Morris) looked after me - I broke down at the club, everyone had left one night, and I was just struggling, this was in my first year, when it all gets too much for you," Smith said.

11:31 Mins
Published 4 hrs ago
Toe to toe with Damo: Bailey Smith opens up about his 'mental demons'
Western Bulldogs young gun Bailey Smith speaks candidly to Damian Barrett about his mental health issues
"Everyone had left. And he walked into the changerooms and gave me a big hug and said, 'I'm here for you'."

Smith, who turned 20 last December, said he had always been an "over-thinker" and "perfectionist".

"We've all got demons, we've all got things that make us anxious or struggle, and I've got my own mental health which I deal with, as I'm sure lots of people do, but it's just not spoken about as much as I'd like it, and I know we are getting better as a society and as footballers, talking about it, but we can be seen as easy going, living the dream, loving it," he said.

19WBFr19MW1479.JPG

Bailey Smith and Dale Morris after a match between the Western Bulldogs and Fremantle at Marvel Stadium in 2019. Picture: AFL Photos
"It can be the truth, it can be the story but you can never judge a book by its cover. There's a lot going on. I'm an over-thinker, always have been.

"… it stems from growing up through school, and footy and stuff. I haven't been too open about it but I probably need to address it a bit more if it comes up in conversation. I think it's healthy to talk about it, and know that everyone doesn't always cope as well as they would like, and it's OK to put your hand up and say you're struggling.

2021 FREE AGENTS Check out who is up for grabs

"The club is really good, very open with this, and lots of my teammates know I struggle at times. People knew I had mental health issues before I got drafted, which is something which is OK and I take in my stride. It makes me a lot better and makes me who I am."

In the interview, Smith referred to two Baileys - the AFL footballer and the one known to those outside football.

The non-footballer, he said, was: "A sensitive, caring person, (who) loves talking to people, getting to know people, I love my dogs and love being relaxed. Football is only the tiniest bit of me, it used to be all of me, but I'm trying to steer clear of that because it is not a healthy way to be.

"That helps a lot in terms of not riding every bump which happens in football, because if you do that, it is such an emotionally tolling experience. And I did that last year, the year before, and it takes a big toll on you. The less you can see football as you, and solely you, I feel the easier it is to cope with the pressures, the talk.

"When you are a kid, you think about it, you had football, you had school, you had so much going on, and football was what you loved, and you have to try to keep it that way. It doesn't have to be solely you.

"It comes with over-thinking, I love thinking, I love exploring, I love listening to more mature, wiser people and feed that into my life."

DOG BARKING Reborn Bulldog to help Bont in slashed leadership group

Conceding that as a perfectionist he would never be perfect, Smith said pursuing perfection was important.

"That's the thing – you chase it, you're never going to get it, and I understand that and I don't do my head over that," he said.

"But I think it is important to have expectations of yourself and strive for whatever you want to be, and whatever that is, just chase it. You have to understand though you are never going to get there, it is a neverending thing, but the fun of chasing it is something I am very attracted to."

18FrWB20IH354068613.JPG

Bailey Smith celebrates a goal against the Dockers in round 18, 2020. Picture: AFL Photos
Asked what perfection might look like to him, he said: "I was thinking more like just having a family, happy, kids, just chilling after having a nice career, working away and going on holidays with the kids, as simple as that, it'd be pretty fun.

"With football, give me three, four, five (premierships) … three would be nice, one would be nice, just to play in one and make it there."

>> Lifeline is an Official Charity Partner of the AFL, which provides all Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention services.

Lifeline is a national charity and relies on community support. Donate online or call 1800 800 768 to support Lifeline.

For crisis or suicide prevention support, please call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or visit lifeline.org.au/gethelp.

Other support services include:

Just wish he spoke to an AFL journo who genuinely cares about mental health, not one who will toe the line

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
In this country, as in some others, we put sporting heroes up on pedestals, revere them, denigrate them, and through the media salivate over their careers, eccentricities, personal lives, etc. And most often overlooked is that many of them are in their late teens/early twenties - whilst those doing the prognosticating on their performances have life experience to whack the sportspeople over the head with. Sure some of them stuff up big time, and suffer the consequences of those actions (as amplified as some of them are in the court of public opinion), but some of their stuff ups are no more or no less than many of us have made at that age.

In this case, Bailey Smith is a 20yo young man (I was going to say 'kid' but that's unfair), still finding his way in the world. A highly paid 20yo, and obviously the trade off of that is compliance with the rules of the industry he plies his trade in, but the fact that he is 20yo gets overlooked in the discussions even on here about the expectations on him, as mature as he may appear in some aspects.

(I still cringed when I realised who he was having that discussion with, as I have little respect for Barrett, but the article seems to handle the issue sensitively and fairly, so I at least give him credit for that.)

It always seemed pretty clear that Bailey had some obsessive tendencies, and it makes a lot of sense to me that it tied in with mental illness. I'm glad he could talk about it and that he has support.

Sadly he copped a bit for wanting to be drafted locally. Many still lack understanding and consideration for mental health issues.

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Footyology Podcast has a review of our list. Starts at 32:15.

Fine and Connolly both have us 3-6.

Fine reckons we didn’t play like a team last season but doesn’t specify why or how.

Connolly reckons we are a bit untrustworthy given we couldn’t beat top 8 sides last year. Decent point I guess.

Adz and Baz both featuring in Channel 7’s AFL promos. Makes a nice change from Bont hogging everything 😉😁. It’s as if he’s the only Bulldog player the ad makers know.

Baz is essentially going to be the AFL poster boy within 2 years, hope he’s ready for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back