What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It amuses me no end that a company based at Essendon Airport which we describe as being in "our heartland" in the press release has signed on as a club sponsor.

I guess this is a consequence of another team moving from their actual heartland to the desolate windy plains of Tullamarine which has never been described thusly by anybody.

Will they get a logo on the jumper? Doesn't sound like it, so hopefully a few more new sponsors TBA. Great get though.
Sorry Dale4captain you must be kidding. I laughed out loud when I saw this announcement. Most clubs get an automaker to sponsor them. We had a division of an automaker (Mercedes Vans) now we just have one dealership. 🤣 we are really scraping the bottom of the barrel at moment.

Sorry Dale4captain you must be kidding. I laughed out loud when I saw this announcement. Most clubs get an automaker to sponsor them. We had a division of an automaker (Mercedes Vans) now we just have one dealership. 🤣 we are really scraping the bottom of the barrel at moment.
It’s a weird one on both sides. Why would a single dealership want to sponsor our training facility?

Honestly, I can’t stop laughing, it’s like it’s an actual joke not a real sponsor.
If we were the Keilor Downs under 14s it would make sense.

I think you will find contractually Toyota cannot sponsor us directly due to their league agreement but subsidiaries can.

It’s money, who gives a shite where it comes from if it’s a respectable company. Especially when Covid is around which would make it 18383 times harder to find sponsors.

Do you know how much it's worth? Cash in the bank, mate. A Platnum sponsorship would be top tier in terms of value. Who tf cares who it actually is? There's every chance, as MD said, Toyota as a company weren't allowed to directly sponsor us so they'd just funnel Airport with more sponno dollars in the yearly budget to pass on to us.

No not comparing Stringer and Treloar as players or people at all... only the way their teams handled the departures of 2 talented players
Both teams should have got more for them though
Yeah fair enough. I get where you are coming from. The posture of both clubs meant that it was a fire sale in each case.

However as CB said the situations arose quite differently.

Our hand was forced by Stringer's behaviour. We could no longer keep him without serious impact on many of his teammates and team cohesion in general.

Collingwood's hand was forced by their own financial ineptness. They had - as far as I can see - a model player who was dedicated, loyal and could win games for them. He wasn't seen as damaged goods by anyone in the industry.

With Stringer it was different - word had got out and hardly anyone wanted to touch him despite his natural talent. Only one club was desperate enough to show any real interest. Unsurprisingly that club was Essendon.

I think you will find contractually Toyota cannot sponsor us directly due to their league agreement but subsidiaries can.

It’s money, who gives a sh*te where it comes from if it’s a respectable company. Especially when Covid is around which would make it 18383 times harder to find sponsors.

Ahem?
8dd4ec87e341ff0078da0b844eb0b980.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol don’t recognise Adelaide so had no idea who their sponsor was.

My error, I remember reading the AFL turned down a sponsor for a team due to a crossover so assumed Toyota would be the same.

Still doesn’t change the fact it doesn’t matter where the money comes from

They couldn’t sponsor Essendon as they are with Kia. And it makes sense for the dealer. As a Bulldogs fan, I’d drive past 4 Toyota dealerships from Geelong to get to a sponsor dealership if prices were about the same. But my Triton is serving me well, I’d still love a Hilux.

They couldn’t sponsor Essendon as they are with Kia. And it makes sense for the dealer. As a Bulldogs fan, I’d drive past 4 Toyota dealerships from Geelong to get to a sponsor dealership if prices were about the same. But my Triton is serving me well, I’d still love a Hilux.
This week's piece of trivia: Triton is French for newt (as in "pissed as a ...")

1614939758389.png
Don't drink and drive.

And in case you were wondering: Hilux is French for Hilux.

Will they get a logo on the jumper? Doesn't sound like it, so hopefully a few more new sponsors TBA. Great get though.

just bought another car from them , nice to now support them.

Do you know how much it's worth? Cash in the bank, mate. A Platnum sponsorship would be top tier in terms of value. Who tf cares who it actually is? There's every chance, as MD said, Toyota as a company weren't allowed to directly sponsor us so they'd just funnel Airport with more sponno dollars in the yearly budget to pass on to us.
Sorry, I mustn’t be very smart. Just because it is called a Platinum sponsor you think it automatically has a specific dollar amount tied to it? Correct me if I’m wrong but Platinum sponsor is just a made up title the club gives to the clubs 2nd biggest sponsor. It would be worth whatever we can get for it. I really hope this secret back door Toyota theory is true but if Toyota wanted us so badly why wouldn’t we have requested something that didn’t sound so ridiculous like Toyota Material Handling. Massive division of their company and has working class connotations that ties nicely to our clubs history and identity.

You ask: “Who tf cares who it actually is?“ I would sincerely hope the club does and we should too. The brands your club is associated with are incredibly important for perception. It’s part of the story you tell yourself as a club and that people tell themselves as observers of the club. Why do you think we are universally recognized as an underdog club? Partially because the only major sponsor we have attracted in the last two decades makes wraps for a foreign specialty cuisine.

Every club worth respecting in this league has a major automaker and/or and airline sponsoring them. I could honestly give a * if Airport Toyota’s deal is worth more than these serious brands because at the end of the day our club isn’t taken seriously by a lot of people. I’m not saying that the sponsorship is the only problem but accepting a sponsor like this has major flow on affects far beyond the actual dollar figures. Anyone with even the slightest commercial background knows this.

I hope I am wrong, but the real likely hood is that we have accepted this deal not because it was lucrative but because we had no other options.

The sponsorship is at the 3rd level and is not a major sponsorship or a replacement for Mercedes. It's not embarrassing at all.
Thanks Prince Imperial that makes more sense then. It was confusing as Mercedes Vans was the naming partner for our training centre and on the guernsey as well, so it made sense to assume it was the same level of sponsorship. The term Platinum doesn’t sound like a third tier sponsor.

Sorry, I mustn’t be very smart. Just because it is called a Platinum sponsor you think it automatically has a specific dollar amount tied to it? Correct me if I’m wrong but Platinum sponsor is just a made up title the club gives to the clubs 2nd biggest sponsor. It would be worth whatever we can get for it. I really hope this secret back door Toyota theory is true but if Toyota wanted us so badly why wouldn’t we have requested something that didn’t sound so ridiculous like Toyota Material Handling. Massive division of their company and has working class connotations that ties nicely to our clubs history and identity.

You ask: “Who tf cares who it actually is?“ I would sincerely hope the club does and we should too. The brands your club is associated with are incredibly important for perception. It’s part of the story you tell yourself as a club and that people tell themselves as observers of the club. Why do you think we are universally recognized as an underdog club? Partially because the only major sponsor we have attracted in the last two decades makes wraps for a foreign specialty cuisine.

Every club worth respecting in this league has a major automaker and/or and airline sponsoring them. I could honestly give a fu** if Airport Toyota’s deal is worth more than these serious brands because at the end of the day our club isn’t taken seriously by a lot of people. I’m not saying that the sponsorship is the only problem but accepting a sponsor like this has major flow on affects far beyond the actual dollar figures. Anyone with even the slightest commercial background knows this.

I hope I am wrong, but the real likely hood is that we have accepted this deal not because it was lucrative but because we had no other options.

Our major sponsor is a taco company abs if we are honest a pretty average taco company.

What cache and story are we telling the outside world with Mission as our main sponsor?

Do you actually think we “choose” Mission over other companies as our major sponsor without it having zero to do with them offering the most money?

Anyone catch this article?

Specifically, this section at the end from Jordan Lewis... who can GAGF.

THE FINALS VERDICT: WHAT WILL BE THE TOP EIGHT CHANGES IN 2021?

Dermott Brereton:
“I think at some stage Carlton will press – I don’t think their list is too bad. I think the Pies will be around the 11-11 mark which will have them on the borderline. I’m pretty pleased with Freo – the only thing is their very good players, their long-term serviceman I’d be worried if their young players can hit somewhere close to their peak while there’s still peak performance in Fyfe, Walters and Mundy.”

Jonathan Brown: “Out: West Coast and Collingwood for mine – two worries. In: Fremantle – I like them – and probably Melbourne.”

Nick Dal Santo: “The only team that can drop out is the Pies. The team to come in is Carlton.”

Ben Dixon: “I reckon Carlton and the Saints might do a swap.”

Jason Dunstall: “I think the top eight is going to be very similar (to 2020). I’m finding it very difficult to look at teams outside the eight and say they’ll definitely jump in.”

Brad Johnson: “I think Collingwood maybe go out and Melbourne come in.”

David King: “Gold Coast in, Collingwood out. There’s no great logic for Collingwood going out but they’ve lost a couple of players, still a very good team.”

Jordan Lewis: “I reckon Melbourne will come in. I think the Dogs drop out. Carlton will come in for Collingwood too.”

Garry Lyon: “Collingwood is the most vulnerable. Carlton most likely to jump in, or maybe Melbourne. One of those two.”

Cameron Mooney: “I keep riding Melbourne … Their list is too good to keep serving up what they serve up, so I’m going to have to go one more time. I think the Pies come out.”

The only thing I take out of the above is that Dermott never misses an opportunity to use 100 words when everybody else is using 10.

I couldn't help but read it with his contrived deliberate delivery as a means of delivering gravitas to his thoughts running through my head. I then begin laughing at it preposterousness of it all.

The only thing I take out of the above is that Dermott never misses an opportunity to use 100 words when everybody else is using 10.

I couldn't help but read it with his contrived deliberate delivery as a means of delivering gravitas to his thoughts running through my head. I then begin laughing at it preposterousness of it all.

My take is that most of the "experts" are in fact, massive idiots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back