Not open for further replies.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Guess I booked flights for the Friday to make sure I got there for a Saturday game was pointless, could have just flown Saturday morning and saved a night of accomodation
Not pointless at all mate! You can now enjoy your Friday night a little bit more! :beercheers:

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not pointless at all mate! You can now enjoy your Friday night a little bit more! :beercheers:

Im just glad I didn’t book to fly out after the early game.
Would just be nice if the AFL considered possible ramifications for fans before making changes for something foreseeable like the AFLW grand final.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The western bulldogs Facebook page has commented to people to stay tuned regarding the VFL game now clashing with the AFL game. If they move that game to Sunday and I don’t get the chance to watch JUH, Garcia and Weightman I am going to be pissed.

Will almost certainly be moved to an earlier slot as Gold Coast will want to get back to QLD that night.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
What did Yabby Jeans say “there are plenty of myths in football, but Dermott Brereton is not a myth!”
As high a praise as you can get.

Yabby, best remembered for his unique and incisive " 'Ullo, 'ullo, wot 'ave we 'ere, then ?" dealt with Dipper, Barney and Dermie and out wrestled all of them. Whatever your opinion of his abilities as a commentator, Brereton was
(a) a brilliant footballer; and
(b) spot on with his message to and about Smith.

Footy's a contact sport and requires courage the equivalent of WW 1 Over the Top but it's still a sport.

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
Ziebell got a little cheap shot in to Bruce after he took the mark for his 10th goal and was gobbing off at him a few minutes earlier when he tackled him.

Smith and Libba had a go at Ziebell for this, they weren’t taunting about the margin.

Im not a fan of taunting and faux tough guy s**t either but it’s pretty clear from watching the replay that Ziebell was being a knob and Smith and Libba were flying the flag.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
My opinion is that Baz probably has a little bit of maturing and learning to do regarding the line between getting into your opponent's head and being disrespectful. I've felt that he's crossed the line a few times (the step over Sheppard being one of them), so I get that side of the argument.

This, though, bears absolutely no relevance to his mental health and it's disgusting that he's being branded a hypocrite because of it.

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is actually pretty disgraceful by Dermott. He is the one who should actually be getting called out here.

I agree completely.

Derm calling Smith out the way he has, has connotations far beyond what is merited. Trivialising Smiths mental health and questioning his “toughness”. If Derm truly believed what Smith was doing was an issue and likely a sensitive one, it should have been treated that way, not some cheap public whack on SEN.

Poor form Derm

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bailey Smith was wrong to step over the West Coast player after kicking a goal, it was a bad look for our game. He should have instead acted like this role model.

vEqAYh.gif

Nah, Dermie doesn't suffer from mental health issues so apparently this is perfectly fine behaviour.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Ziebell got a little cheap shot in to Bruce after he took the mark for his 10th goal and was gobbing off at him a few minutes earlier when he tackled him.

Smith and Libba had a go at Ziebell for this, they weren’t taunting about the margin.

Im not a fan of taunting and faux tough guy sh*t either but it’s pretty clear from watching the replay that Ziebell was being a knob and Smith and Libba were flying the flag.
I invite you to look at the video closely, Leon. It shows 2 views of the mark. From the front, it looks like Ziebell's hand hit Bruce in the face. A few seconds later, it's shown more from the side, it's clear no contact was made, an ineffective attempt to spoil. I was of your view until I looked at it a second time. McKay gives the customary AFL approved-by-custom shove in the back after the mark was taken, not Ziebell. It also shows Libber wandering around next to Ziebell, completely disinterested, until Smith raced in. Isn't any 'gobbing off' between Bruce and Ziebell their concern ? But even if Smith was entitled to respond to the 'gobbing off', what's with the push and shove ?

What about Libber, though, getting sucked into an incident that nobody in the vicinity was at all interested in until Smith raced in ? It could easily have cost Bruce his 10th, suspensions for himself, Macrae and others, too, and all with a couple of minutes to go and 122 points up ? It's one thing to fly the flag and aggression but you don't have to be a dickhead.

Yours sincerely
Sherlock Holmes

Last edited:

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wonder if the Dermott was getting at the propensity of society to treat people with mental health issues with kid gloves. For said person to then engage in dodgy behaviour makes it problematic for players and media and society to feel comfortable in addressing the dodgy behaviour as we aren't able to adequately separate the desire to criticise and chastise dodgy behaviour from a concern for not upsetting the apple cart of a mentally ill person.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bailey Smith was wrong to step over the West Coast player's head after kicking a goal, it was a bad look for our game. He should have instead acted like this role model and stepped ON the head instead.

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
I invite you to look at the video closely, Leon. It shows 2 views of the mark. From the front, it looks like Ziebell's hand hit Bruce in the face. A few seconds later, it's shown from the side, it's clear no contact was made, an ineffective attempt to spoil. I was of your view until I looked at it a second time. McKay gives the customary AFL approved-by-custom shove in the back after the mark was taken, not Ziebell. Isn't any 'gobbing off' between Bruce and Ziebell their concern ? But even if Smith was entitled to respond to the 'gobbing off', what's with the push and shove ?

What about Libber, though, getting sucked into an incident that nobody in the vicinity was at all interested in until Smith raced in ? It could easily have cost Bruce his 10th, suspensions for himself, Macrae and others, too, and all with a couple of minutes to go and 122 points up ? It's one thing to fly the flag and aggression but you don't have to be a dickhead.

I have watched the replay and disagree with you.

Ziebell got in a cheap shot on Bruce.

Also in my post which you quoted, I said I’m not a fan of gobbing off and faux tough guy antics.

There’s nothing more cringeworthy to me than a player mouthing off after he’s tackled a player and earned a holding the ball, or taking a great mark over a player and then mouthing off at the player he marked over or kicking a goal and having a go at a defender.

But there’s a difference betweenflying the flag and mouthing off like a tool.

Libba and Smith were clearly flying the flag IMO.

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I invite you to look at the video closely, Leon. It shows 2 views of the mark. From the front, it looks like Ziebell's hand hit Bruce in the face. A few seconds later, it's shown from the side, it's clear no contact was made, an ineffective attempt to spoil. I was of your view until I looked at it a second time. McKay gives the customary AFL approved-by-custom shove in the back after the mark was taken, not Ziebell. It also shows Libber wandering around next to Ziebell, completely disinterested, until Smith raced in. Isn't any 'gobbing off' between Bruce and Ziebell their concern ? But even if Smith was entitled to respond to the 'gobbing off', what's with the push and shove ?

Yours sincerely
Sherlock Holmes

Ziebell tried to bury Bruce in a pretty dangerous tackle not long before this incident (not the first cheap shot Jack has attempted in his life). It was pretty obvious being at the game that Smith was just flying the flag and letting him know what he thought about it.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I wonder if the Dermott was getting at the propensity of society to treat people with mental health issues with kid gloves. For said person to then engage in dodgy behaviour makes it problematic for players and media and society to feel comfortable in addressing the dodgy behaviour as we aren't able to adequately separate the desire to criticise and chastise dodgy behaviour from a concern for not upsetting the apple cart of a mentally ill person.
There's a can of worms waiting to be opened, BRWB, to what extent do we accept bad behaviour from the 'Disadvantaged' ?

I've only now noticed that Brereton, or his parents, awarded 'the Kid' an extra T to his first name, the usual is 'Dermot' It's an Irish name meaning "without enemy" Don't you love irony ?

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I have watched the replay and disagree with you.

Ziebell got in a cheap shot on .....

Libba and Smith were clearly flying the flag IMO.
I have no issues with you disagreeing with me but I can't see a 'cheap shot ' after the mark. I've looked at it several times, including just before this post

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM-ZcRAixtA[/url]

It's not the vid I looked at a couple of days ago but it's the same as on the Club website version, so
2.26 Ziebell backs in, Bruce marks, Naughton embraces Bruce.
2.27. Libber walks past Ziebell, uninterested.
2.28 Smith attacks, Libber looks up and at Ziebell, Naughton looks back at Libber
2.29 Libber approaches Ziebell and raises his hands to push him.

Until smith rushed in, nobody was interested in an incident, Ziebell and the other North players were head cast down, Bruce was being hugged by Naughton, Libber was disinterested, head down, almost bored. I query your 'cheap shot'. I can't see one, but even if there is, is that justification for a young player, talented as Smith is or not, to create an incident out of nothing that disrespects a senior player, captain of his Club taking a risky back into a possible pack 2 minutes before the end of a humiliating defeat for no apparent reason ?

Flying the Flag is supporting a team mate under attack. Was Smith ever under attack ? Libber is a senior player, now. He should know when to step in and cool a stupid issue and not escalate it.

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have no issues with you disagreeing with me but I can't see a 'cheap shot ' after the mark. I've looked at it several times, including just before this post

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM-ZcRAixtA[/url]

It's not the vid I looked at a couple of days ago but it's the same as on the Club website version, so
2.26 Ziebell backs in, Bruce marks, Naughton embraces Bruce.
2.27. Libber walks past Ziebell, uninterested.
2.28 Smith attacks, Libber looks up and at Ziebell, Naughton looks back at Libber
2.29 Libber approaches Ziebell and raises his hands to push him.

Until smith rushed in, nobody was interested in an incident, Ziebell and the other North players were head cast down, Bruce was being hugged by Naughton, Libber was disinterested, head down, almost bored. I query your 'cheap shot'. I can't see one, but even if there is, is that justification for a young player, talented as Smith is or not, to create an incident out of nothing that disrespects a senior player, captain of his Club taking a risky back into a possible pack 2 minutes before the end of a humiliating defeat for no apparent reason ?

Flying the Flag is supporting a team mate under attack. Was Smith ever under attack ? Libber is a senior player, now. He should know when to step in and cool a stupid issue and not escalate it.

The cheap shot wasn't in the marking contest. It was a few minutes earlier when Jack tried to send Bruce into the underground car park.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
100% exactly how I saw it.
You have to be the real Dougie, come on, admit it. You can tell me, I won't tell anyone else, I stood next to your father at the bar in the Social Club on the night of the 'Merger', as fine and handsome a man yourself

Last edited:

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
The cheap shot wasn't in the marking contest. It was a few minutes earlier when Jack tried to send Bruce into the underground car park.
Thanks, Boris. I was responding to the 'cheap shot' identified by Leon. I was at the game and have watched a number of replays
(who wouldn't, how often to you get to see a record ?). Whilst I'm at it, though, why are you so hard on Ziebell ? I see him a lot less than you would but I don't see him as a cheap shot merchant, he and Cunnington are your archetypal Shinboners.

Last edited:

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Hahaha 😂 wow this place!! Ok we get everyone’s point now let’s move the conversation along.
Gee, you snuck that one in, Bro_Pro, where should the conversation go ? This is about character. The Club is no longer the domain of knuckle draggers, committee members shouting the bar with club funds, Club Secretaries keeping cash in their own safes, club captains holding regular bookings at local motels. Character is as important as football ability, even at our Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back