What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Carlton friend just said to me "how are you going to win one while Melbourne are around".

That's like telling West Coast how are they gonna win in 2018 cause Richmond are around. Or telling Sydney that they can't win one cause the Hawks are around.

No wonder Carlton is in such a hole of that's how their own supporters think.
How is Carlton gonna win one when Carlton is around.

Hyperbolic. Melbourne and Port Adelaide have as much or more young talent than we do. Melbourne should be looking to fourpeat with the list they have. Petracca, Oliver, Jackson, Pickett etc. all still very young. Not sure how any side is going to be able to compete with them unless they have a premiership hangover like we did after '16.
They are no more complete than Richmond before them, or even West Coast of 2018. Teams will figure them out, and the loss of Burgess will likely mean their depth becomes tested in future years. Melbourne have set the standard, but they are not infallible. We beat them fairly convincingly in the latter part of the H&A season, and they never really put teams away much this year like we did (or even Brisbane and Port). The gap is narrow between Melbourne and the chasing pack. It wouldn't surprise me if we managed a 5 year period of 4+ different premiers. Dogs, Lions, Port, Cats, Tigers, Swans among others are all capable of going all the way next year

Agree entirely with King. We should be aiming for that as a minimum with our list, and I'd go a step further a say it could be a 10 year period of Geelong type contending (hopefully with more flags).

It's nice to be talked about that way, rather than the 'lost a prelim but at least we got there' or 'oh well, I've seen us win one flag so I'm happy' narrative a lot of supporters have. **** that.

In terms of bargaining power, it's more valuable than Pick 18 due to context of where it sits. If you're purely looking at raw draft value, then yes of course Pick 18 is better than Pick 19. But in a world where clubs can live trade, I'd literally prefer to enter the draft with the first pick of day 2 over the last pick of day 1 purely because of the options it opens up
This is correct, given AFL clubs are disorganised and there's spanners in the works with live trading an unexpected manner, but well-organised clubs should have plans for all contingencies and a pick later shouldn't be "more valuable" because the limited time between pick 17 and 18 shouldn't be an impediment, and the value of extra time overnight shouldn't add any value to planning before the draft (it does, but it shouldn't).

They are no more complete than Richmond before them, or even West Coast of 2018. Teams will figure them out, and the loss of Burgess will likely mean their depth becomes tested in future years. Melbourne have set the standard, but they are not infallible. We beat them fairly convincingly in the latter part of the H&A season, and they never really put teams away much this year like we did (or even Brisbane and Port). The gap is narrow between Melbourne and the chasing pack. It wouldn't surprise me if we managed a 5 year period of 4+ different premiers. Dogs, Lions, Port, Cats, Tigers, Swans among others are all capable of going all the way next year
Everyone will be taking our last 40 minutes of football in 2021 (and Melbourne's last 40 minutes) as the standing order of things. It isn't.

Half-way through the third quarter we were looking like the premiers. To Melbourne's credit they had other ideas but that 40 minutes of football resulted in the only comprehensive beating we copped all year and it came on the tail end of an incredibly gruelling last six games of football where we were in quarantine almost non-stop and played no games at all in Melbourne. Compare that to Melbourne's cruisy run into the GF.

Melbourne will rightly be strong flag favourites in 2022 but we are probably not far off. Any improvement on our part and any falling away or complacency on their part and we can overtake them.

Everyone will be taking our last 40 minutes of football in 2021 (and Melbourne's last 40 minutes) as the standing order of things. It isn't.

Half-way through the third quarter we were looking like the premiers. To Melbourne's credit they had other ideas but that 40 minutes of football resulted in the only comprehensive beating we copped all year and it came on the tail end of an incredibly gruelling last six games of football where we were in quarantine almost non-stop and played no games at all in Melbourne. Compare that to Melbourne's cruisy run into the GF.

Melbourne will rightly be strong flag favourites in 2022 but we are probably not far off. Any improvement on our part and any falling away or complacency on their part and we can overtake them.

I think it has more to do with the entirety of Melbourne's year. They only lost a single match to one of the top five sides all year, which was the second match against us. And even in that match they actually won in expected score. They demolished three sides in a row on neutral venues in September. Unless they drop off for no expected reason there's daylight between them and everyone else.

I think it has more to do with the entirety of Melbourne's year. They only lost a single match to one of the top five sides all year, which was the second match against us. And even in that match they actually won in expected score. They demolished three sides in a row on neutral venues in September. Unless they drop off for no expected reason there's daylight between them and everyone else.

They also lost to more sides in the bottom part of the eight including Collingwood.

Sure they are Premiers, sure they belted us in one quarter, but they still bleed and we are good at thrashing teams too. Look at the Saints, beat us by three points in the final in 2020, we ******* destroyed them last year, and any chance of them making finals with the loss of percentage. Return serve.

What I love about Melbourne is they are real cocky, they have provided a stack of motivation for our boys. A lot of coaches and good captains tell their teams, don’t give another team extra motivation. Obviously Melbourne didn’t get the memo.

Last edited:
Hyperbolic. Melbourne and Port Adelaide have as much or more young talent than we do. Melbourne should be looking to fourpeat with the list they have. Petracca, Oliver, Jackson, Pickett etc. all still very young. Not sure how any side is going to be able to compete with them unless they have a premiership hangover like we did after '16.
It's Melbourne they will find a way. Can they have the injury run next year the same as this year. They have a great team but not a lot of depth if they get tested injury wise.
Their fitness guru has moved on, and even if he hadn't very difficult to keep up that hard edged fitness that they had.
Next this COVID BS is consigned to the history books, so that we have VFL for players to build fitness in rather than having to play underdone players.
Finish top 4 and have a red hot crack at another flag

bullshit they are daylight ahead of us

Someone please post the Darcy article from HS. :)
AFL Draft 2021: Western Bulldogs to take cautious approach with father-son gun Sam Darcy
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan did not debut until Round 17 in his first season for the Bulldogs. Will it be a similar story for expected father-son Sam Darcy next year?

Glenn McFarlane

3 min read
October 15, 2021 - 9:12AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Current Time 0:03
/
Duration 1:54

NOW PLAYING
Resume

AFL Draft: Why Horne-Francis will go No.1
1:45
UP NEXT

AFL: The Trading Day team analyses looming top draft pick Jason Horne-Francis, who recently impressed in the SANFL finals.

AFL News
Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL News. Followed categories will be added to My News.

The Western Bulldogs plan to take the same cautious approach with father-son draft hope Sam Darcy in 2022 as they did with last year’s No.1 draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.
Bulldogs general manager of list and recruiting Sam Power said the club would not put a ceiling on what the 18-year-old could achieve next year, but would be mindful that he had played minimal football across the past two seasons, due to the pandemic.
Asked if the club would tread carefully without putting too much pressure on the highly-rated forward, Power said: “Absolutely, and we do that with any 17 or 18-year-old coming in.”
“We need to be even more so with those draftees coming in now, given they haven’t played too much footy (in the past two seasons).
Kayo is your ticket to the best local and international sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Start Your Free Trial >
The Bulldogs plan to take a cautious approach with Sam Darcy. Picture: Martin Keep/AFL Photos via Getty Images

The Bulldogs plan to take a cautious approach with Sam Darcy. Picture: Martin Keep/AFL Photos via Getty Images
“We saw that with Jamarra (Ugle-Hagan) this year. He hadn’t played (in 2020 because of the Covid pandemic) and we didn’t really have expectations on him this year.”
Ugle-Hagan, who missed the entire final season of his TAC year, had to wait until Round 17 to make his AFL debut. He played five AFL games this year, with the Bulldogs intent on taking a conservative approach on a player they see as a 10-plus-year footballer.
“We needed to get him (Ugle-Hagan) to get a good grounding at VFL level, so that when he did get an opportunity at AFL level, he was as prepared as he could be, and that he was able to have an influence at different times, and hold his spot for a period as well,” Power said.
The Grand Final runners-up were not big players in the trade period by design as they looked to bring in the necessary points as a safeguard to claim Darcy as a father-son selection in next month’s draft.
DRAFT DOSSIER: INDICATIVE DRAFT ORDER AND 70 PROFILES
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan was eased into his first season. Picture: Michael Klein

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan was eased into his first season. Picture: Michael Klein
They brought in Hawk Tim O’Brien as a free agent and facilitated moves for Patrick Lipinski (Collingwood) and Lewis Young (Carlton) in their search for greater AFL opportunities.
Power said he hadn’t had any indication on whether an early bid would come on Darcy, whose father Luke and grandfather David represented the Bulldogs with distinction.
“We know he (Darcy) is a promising kid that has a bright future,” he said. “We prepare for every scenario.”
“Coming into the trade period, that (getting enough picks) was a key focus and a priority to increase our points which we were able to do by trading pick 17.
“We also had a couple of players who had requested trades to get more opportunities at other clubs.”
“We’ve come out of it with a really good hand from a points’ perspective.”
He said the Bulldogs would now finalise their draft plans across the coming weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worth a read - a different sort of analysis of the trade period. By these measures we came out on top due to pick hoarding and the acquisition of a UFA.

Hopefully a beat up which he had nothing or a minor role in!

Sorry for the intrusion.

I received a message from a friend that lives on the Gold Coast yesterday arvo that he belted a guy at Pavillion. Left him in a pool of blood.

Hopefully just a standard two way fight but the person she knows that is friends with the guy is a real quiet church type as she explained it.

Love Bailey.. so fingers crossed it's explainable.

Sorry for the intrusion.

I received a message from a friend that lives on the Gold Coast yesterday arvo that he belted a guy at Pavillion. Left him in a pool of blood.

Hopefully just a standard two way fight but the person she knows that is friends with the guy is a real quiet church type as she explained it.

Must have been one hell of a push.

The Dees were unbelievably lucky with no injuries to speak of. All Year. Every other team had its normal share. Melbourne will come back to the pack next year when they start seeing holes opened up through injury. They dont have our depth.
2021 they were KOTD.
2022 is ours!

Sorry for the intrusion.

Obviously we have no info, but in my experience the "lovely, quiet church types" tend to be the biggest *heads in any social setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back