D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
The opening game is most likely going to be 95% Melbourne supporters. Bulldogs supporters refuse to travel all the way to the mcg at the best of times. It's the reason the club doesn't deserve big games the supporters haven't turned up on good Friday so that will most likely be gone unless something dramatic changes.

Having slightly less sleep for one night of the year is not a genuine excuse if you want to watch the side.
The Good Friday games are at Docklands. Most years we get 2, sometimes 3, games at the G, all away games and usually at least 1 is against Melbourne, another low drawing team. What makes you think that attendance at away games at the G is any less than at corresponding away games at Docklands ?

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our away game vs Richmond this year drew about the same as the Anzac Eve game and the Geelong Richmond game. Sounds fine considering we have no rivalry with Richmond, never even played them in a final while Geelong and Melbourne have. Both also play way more MCG games than us. And in a Covid affected year too. Would have been closer to 70k in a normal year.

We’ve also drawn multiple 45k crowds at Marvel vs North in 2016/2017, that’s including Good Friday, an away game. Also pretty decent considering Marvel seating arrangements and prices are s**t and corporate seats are everywhere compared to the G.

If the away game is at a good time and is of interest to fans (rivalry, high ladder position battle, marquee game) they will come. If it’s something like 2017 Melbourne or bottom 4 Hawthorn or any club we have no rivalry with on a Sunday arvo as an away game, ofc fans aren’t gonna come.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Seems we have a pretty poor record with big crowds. Also pretty sad that every large crowd record is an away match for us. I get the MCG is a larger capacity, but seems like we’ve never gotten more than 35k to a match against Melbourne at the docklands.

In the AFL era (1990 onwards) we are ranked 14th for percentage of H&A games with 50,000+ crowds and by far are the lowest ranking still existing VIC team. The tide is turning though with 5/17 occurring post-2016 and that number will increase as we should staying the top half of the table for some time.

Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 6.14.34 pm.png

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In the AFL era (1990 onwards) we are ranked 14th for percentage of H&A games with 50,000+ crowds and by far are the lowest ranking still existing VIC team. The tide is turning though with 5/17 occurring post-2016 and that number will increase as we should staying the top half of the table for some time.

View attachment 1292537
Does not help we play at Marvel and didn’t win a flag until 2016. Different times for the club ahead.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don't worry I will and at no point did I say that I dislike the Wednesday option or that it wouldn't be a big crowd but to honestly think it will be the biggest H&A crowd in history is just a stretch too far in my opinion.

Here are the biggest H&A crowds in V/AFL history...

99,256 - R10 1958 Melbourne vs. Collingwood
94,796 - R5 1995 Collingwood vs. Essendon
93,373 - R5 2013 Essendon vs. Collingwood
92,935 - R11 1981 Hawthorn vs. Collingwood
92,436 - R4 1977 Richmond vs. Collingwood

And here is our biggest H&A crowds...

View attachment 1292069

And our biggest H&A crowds against Melbourne...

View attachment 1292073

As much as I'd like us to break the record I honestly just cannot see it happening but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and get as many people as we can do the match.

Personally I'm fine with the Wednesday option as it gives us the centre stage for the start of 2022 and I'm sure we'll break the WB/Melbourne H&A record I'm just not so sure on the overall record.
Sorry wasn’t referring to you specifically, just using your post as a starting point for my reply - and I agree I don’t think it will be largest ever but don’t see why we shouldn’t have 80-90 which will be a great night!

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is an article on the Fox Footy website today about free agents. Three Dogs players get a mention including Jack Macrae. The article mentions he won the Dogs “Gary Ayres “ for best player in the finals this year ????????
I’m guessing it’s the Gary Dempsey award.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is an article on the Fox Footy website today about free agents. Three Dogs players get a mention including Jack Macrae. The article mentions he won the Dogs “Gary Ayres “ for best player in the finals this year ????????
I’m guessing it’s the Gary Dempsey award.

Nah it was Gary ayres

Sorry to change subject completely..

Did Ted Whitten Senior ever commentate matches his son played in?

I don't know how I feel about Luke Darcy commentating our matches if his son is playing. Part of me loves it, but part of me thinks it will be strange because of the uniqueness. I can't think of any commentators (in my era) who have commentated matches their son has played in.

One thing is certain, opposition supporters will hate Luke commentating our matches when Sam plays.

I don't know how I feel about Luke Darcy commentating our matches if his son is playing. Part of me loves it, but part of me thinks it will be strange because of the uniqueness. I can't think of any commentators (in my era) who have commentated matches their son has played in.

One thing is certain, opposition supporters will hate Luke commentating our matches when Sam plays.
Like we’re gonna care about that 😄. Especially when we’re winning.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania

Tim Watson/Jobe Watson?

The state of AFL commentary is already so pathetic and dysfunctional that I don't think the Darcy thing even matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back