What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to all those New Idea readers whose incessant demands as to what's up with Bailey Smith surely prompted some paparazzi to investigate. The HS headline will do wonders for his mental health I'm sure. We might have a Tom Boyd situation on our hands if any of you would like to see Smith make way for someone else. Personally, Smith's a gun and I want him creating excitement and momentum for this team, but I doubt we'll see any of this on field 2022 now. Even if he plays it's energy draining to deal with your head constantly. So thanks again and I hope the foot you shot isn't too painful.

Perhaps if the club had got on the front foot and said at the commencement of training that English, Naughton, Daniel and Smith had been given permission to train away from the club, it might have passed without comment. Otherwise it’s natural to ask questions about the absence of a key player.

Couldn’t be at a better club to get through these periods of his life.

Can’t wait to see him back up and about next season!

The three players I remember taking a leave of absence for mental health were Boyd, Cloke and Jong. All three retired soon after. I'm not suggesting any of this was mismanagement by the club, just that his odds of returning don't seem great based on recent history.

I’m looking a long way from afar but this preseason smells a bit to me. Late start, which already puts you behind a bit, plus players strewn all over the country. Granted other clubs probably have players back home too but I’m just not getting a great vibe.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m looking a long way from afar but this preseason smells a bit to me. Late start, which already puts you behind a bit, plus players strewn all over the country. Granted other clubs probably have players back home too but I’m just not getting a great vibe.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I agree with you Hob. I smell another development year coming up. Get games into Jamarra and Darcy.

Like every workplace their is a recognition of the importance of dealing with mental health issues. They were there in the past and we lost many players to it - they just “went off the boil” or “had problems with….” Or just disappeared. If we give him the support he should hopefully come back and continue his rise.

Most come back from it - we only hear of a few who didn’t. I am sure the club is treating this seriously and like all of us, learning to do better.

As I said earlier post people in the media make this worse to make themselves feel
Important or put stories in front of safety like Dermott B - who knew this when he shared openly but still potshotted him. These are examples of why he doesn’t trust people anymore - I don’t blame him. I am backing the club to do what is best for him and hopefully he can trust the club.

Congratulations to all those New Idea readers whose incessant demands as to what's up with Bailey Smith surely prompted some paparazzi to investigate. The HS headline will do wonders for his mental health I'm sure. We might have a Tom Boyd situation on our hands if any of you would like to see Smith make way for someone else. Personally, Smith's a gun and I want him creating excitement and momentum for this team, but I doubt we'll see any of this on field 2022 now. Even if he plays it's energy draining to deal with your head constantly. So thanks again and I hope the foot you shot isn't too painful.
What a ridiculous comment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely unfair.

The three players I remember taking a leave of absence for mental health were Boyd, Cloke and Jong. All three retired soon after. I'm not suggesting any of this was mismanagement by the club, just that his odds of returning don't seem great based on recent history.
Mental health doesn't follow a textbook mate. It is not like catching a cold when everyone will get a runny nose. Smith is not Boyd, Cloke or Jong and it is ridiculous to compare any of them because they are all different individuals from different backgrounds who feel different things.

Last edited:
Hopefully Baz gets in a good space as quickly as possible, isn’t the first and won’t be the last person to be dealing with mental issues that have come about over the few tough years.

I may have been annoying with my pestering posts asking where Smith was but this wasn’t as if a first year rookie player wasn’t doing pre-season, it one of the most popular and recognisable players in the entire league, I’m surprised it took this long for the media to get a whiff.

Have heard that Bailey will be back on the track this week. It will be a very short break for him and he is in ripping condition.

Someone said he was expected back Monday, but before this news came out.

Doesn’t sound likely, but nothing official announced by the club yet although the news article has comments from Chris Grant saying they are happy with his conditioning and to train away from the club, but for now they are expecting he’ll be back in after Xmas/New Years and won’t be impacted for pre-season

I hope he finds what he needs from the time out away from footy. The last two seasons have been shite all round, people deal with the situation in very different ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back