Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
May and Kolodjashnij went for pick 6 in 2018. We had pick 7 and obviously drafted Bazlenka who hasn't missed a game from us, will probably play 300 games for us unless he goes to Hawthorn on a 10 year deal and is probably the most marketable player in the league. Yet if I could go back right now and not draft Baz but instead enter a world where we trade pick 7 for Steven May I would in a heartbeat.
I wouldnt

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Perhaps if the club had got on the front foot and said at the commencement of training that English, Naughton, Daniel and Smith had been given permission to train away from the club, it might have passed without comment. Otherwise it’s natural to ask questions about the absence of a key player.
Yeah everyone is an expert

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The three players I remember taking a leave of absence for mental health were Boyd, Cloke and Jong. All three retired soon after. I'm not suggesting any of this was mismanagement by the club, just that his odds of returning don't seem great based on recent history.
Just let it play out not every mental health issue is the same. Bailey is younger than the others and there issues may have been made worse by not treating it early enough. All three had persistent injuries as well

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m looking a long way from afar but this preseason smells a bit to me. Late start, which already puts you behind a bit, plus players strewn all over the country. Granted other clubs probably have players back home too but I’m just not getting a great vibe.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Stay positive mate these are challenging times for everyone

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Like every workplace their is a recognition of the importance of dealing with mental health issues. They were there in the past and we lost many players to it - they just “went off the boil” or “had problems with….” Or just disappeared. If we give him the support he should hopefully come back and continue his rise.

Most come back from it - we only hear of a few who didn’t. I am sure the club is treating this seriously and like all of us, learning to do better.

As I said earlier post people in the media make this worse to make themselves feel
Important or put stories in front of safety like Dermott B - who knew this when he shared openly but still potshotted him. These are examples of why he doesn’t trust people anymore - I don’t blame him. I am backing the club to do what is best for him and hopefully he can trust the club.
Agree completely

Bruce Springsteen just sold his music rights for $500 million and has suffered all his life from depression. It can hit us all

Beasley

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2005
Full Forward
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Congratulations to all those New Idea readers whose incessant demands as to what's up with Bailey Smith surely prompted some paparazzi to investigate. The HS headline will do wonders for his mental health I'm sure. We might have a Tom Boyd situation on our hands if any of you would like to see Smith make way for someone else. Personally, Smith's a gun and I want him creating excitement and momentum for this team, but I doubt we'll see any of this on field 2022 now. Even if he plays it's energy draining to deal with your head constantly. So thanks again and I hope the foot you shot isn't too painful.
Good post.
Now wait for those who were poking their noses in and stirring up the situation come out and try to deflect their actions by blaming the club or anybody else.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know the HS isn’t exactly a beacon for journalistic quality but that article on Smith is just a standard run of the mill piece reporting on his absence. Acting like it unfairly targets him or is a just a hit piece is wrong. He is the face of the clubs membership drive and one of the most popular players in the league, not being on the track is going to get noticed. The club more than likely agreed to staying quiet with Smith and was prepared to handle the questions/media attention when it eventually came.

Even more laughable is trying to attribute that the only reason it was written is because of people like me repeatedly questioning Smith’s absence on a Bigfooty Forum. But I’ll take the hit it makes you feel better.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
I know the HS isn’t exactly a beacon for journalistic quality but that article on Smith is just a standard run of the mill piece reporting on his absence. Acting like it unfairly targets him or is a just a hit piece is wrong. He is the face of the clubs membership drive and one of the most popular players in the league, not being on the track is going to get noticed. The club more than likely agreed to staying quiet with Smith and was prepared to handle the questions/media attention when it eventually came.

Even more laughable is trying to attribute that the only reason it was written is because of people like me repeatedly questioning Smith’s absence on a Bigfooty Forum. But I’ll take the hit it makes you feel better.

Exactly right. Asking about the whereabouts of Bailey on an online football forum doesn't equate to "sticking your nose in," or "stirring things up." The ones who made fun of us for asking the question actually look pretty foolish now, which is the true source of the anger they are directing at us.

Same. I asked the question a few times. Sorry :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
There is an element of entitlement on display with some demonstrating their right to be told what is happening at all times.

Wondering why a star player is missing the entire pre-Christmas training block doesn't equate to demanding to know everything all of the time. If a player is taking an extended leave of absence surely its reasonable for the fans (who are the major stakeholders) to be notified. No one is demanding to know the specifics; personal reasons is an acceptable explanation. When you invest in a publicly traded company you are entitled to look at their financial reports. When you invest your time and money into following a footy club you're entitled to know a bit about what's going on. Without us there is no club, so yeah, the club needs to appease us within reason. How hard is it for Grant to come out and say, "Bailey is taking an extended leave of absence for personal reasons." Is that some big violation of his privacy? Has that compromised the club in some way to make that known?

Maybe next preseason the club should do every training session behind closed doors and not release any footage. That way if a player is missing no one can know. We shouldn't feel entitled to see any training footage or live sessions anyway, right?

Last edited:
There is an element of entitlement on display with some demonstrating their right to be told what is happening at all times.

Particularly where we know a person has had difficulties in the past and now we hear there may be family or relationship issues on top of that.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wondering why a star player is missing the entire pre-Christmas training block doesn't equate to demanding to know everything all of the time. If a player is taking an extended leave of absence surely its reasonable for the fans (who are the major stakeholders) to be notified. No one is demanding to know the specifics; personal reasons is an acceptable explanation. When you invest in a publicly traded company you are entitled to look at their financial reports. When you invest your time and money into following a footy club you're entitled to know a bit about what's going on. Without us there is no club, so yeah, the club needs to appease us within reason. How hard is it for Grant to come out and say, "Bailey is taking an extended leave of absence for personal reasons." Is that some big violation of his privacy? Has that compromised the club in some way to make that known?

Maybe next preseason the club should do every training session behind closed doors and not release any footage. That way if a player is missing no one can know. We shouldn't feel entitled to see any training footage or live sessions anyway, right?
Maybe Grant didn't know he was going to take extended leave until the last couple of days.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Maybe Grant didn't know he was going to take extended leave until the last couple of days.

Who cares? I'm not making any judgement about Grant's action or inaction. I'm just saying that him coming out and telling us that Bailey will be away indefinitely wasn't much to ask of him. I'm defending the posters who questioned Bailey's absence, I'm not attacking Grant.

Tl;Dr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back