What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

She is never in the media though. Issue like this I think she should get on the front foot and be heard.
Did she make a comment about the Fed money for hte ground development ? That's the sort of thing you'd expect a president to be public about. Football things are better dealt with by the Coach, Grant, even Bain.

I think we should just get used to the fact that Gordon isn't our president anymore. We just happened to have a very vocal former president but the truth is that most club presidents are fairly anonymous.

I guarantee you that most people here wouldn't be able to name Melbourne's president unless they looked her up. It's the CEO's job to be the most vocal point of contact for the club. Some presidents choose to be in the public eye but that's not the case with most of them around the league.

When I first read that post, Dogforever I thought you must be close to receipt of the Queen's letter but If you watched Jim Miller in, say, 1948 and were, say, 8 years old, then you are a mere lad of 82 years. You'll most likely get your letter from King Chilla with an outside chance of it being signed by King Billy. Do you recall Dick Wearmouth and if so, how good was he ? The story I heard was that Dick refused to let Ronnie come to Footscray because of how poorly the club was run back in Dick's days. Any comment ?
to D.Mitchell: I was 11 in 1948 and i would hope that Bont or Jack Macrae will sign the letter.
In regard to Dick Wearmouth , I remember a fair headed very fast wingman who had plenty of courage and who was a poorish kick.
His relationship in latter years with the club i have no idea about.

Unexpectedly sympathetic story from Damo.

I think I even detected a hint of nuance. 😯
We're probably dealing with a something, something glass houses type of situation here.

to D.Mitchell: I was 11 in 1948 and i would hope that Bont or Jack Macrae will sign the letter.
In regard to Dick Wearmouth , I remember a fair headed very fast wingman who had plenty of courage and who was a poorish kick.
Wow, that is fantastic Dogforever ! I'm guessing you would have seen Hickey and Olliver play as well? And Bill Wood?

If the question about Dick's relationship is why we didn't get Ron, Ron ended up at Collingwood partly because Dick had been coached for one season at Footscray by ex-Collingwood premiership player Jim Crowe (1947 - when Arthur Olliver was stood down and nearly left). Jim Crowe happened to also be Collingwood vice-president when Ron arrived on VFL clubs' radar in 68-69.

Ron qualified to join 3 clubs:
  • for us as a father-son
  • for Fitzroy as he'd briefly played senior footy in the Fitzroy-aligned Hampden league
  • for Collingwood as he'd also played senior footy for Noorat, which is where the family had a dairy farm, and Noorat was in Collingwood's zone.

Ron has said in interviews that Dick steered him towards Collingwood as he thought they were better run than us, (we had that ridiculous footy club v cricket club v social club v council mess in that era). Fitzroy wasn't an option for Dick or Ron, as they were in the bottom 3 with us through the mid-late 60s anyway.

Thankyou, dogforever, and me thinking Kings Chilla and Billy was sufficiently defiant. Please record your recollections like that, even if, especially if, those records stay within your family. Just get your grandchildren to bring their iphones and a good red one Sunday afternoon.

Did she make a comment about the Fed money for hte ground development ? That's the sort of thing you'd expect a president to be public about. Football things are better dealt with by the Coach, Grant, even Bain.

His name is Ameet Bains. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that this was a genuine typo, and not deliberate misspelling of names you always seem to do for people of colour.

His name is Ameet Bains. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that this was a genuine typo, and not deliberate misspelling of names you always seem to do for people of colour.

Take it easy Ossie 21. He does it with white people too. Hannon is one he misspells regularly. Don't assume racism where a more innocent explanation is more or equally likely. Once you get to his age you'll have encountered just about every spelling variation of every surname imaginable. It's hard to keep track of who is using which.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you go to the 54 grand final?

The question is where is the president of our football club . Major drug scandal from a young player who struggles from mental health from our club and she is no where to be seen or heard Can we bring back Gordo please
No, thats the ceo's role. We need to stop making presidents of football clubs public figures. I prefer our current pres over eddie or jeff.

Hunter and Bruce playing VFL this weekend, from Bevo's presser
It'll be interesting to see what Bruce looks like. I know a lot of people are expecting him to come back and make a big difference straight away but I have reasonably low expectations. It's bloody hard to come back from an ACL at any point, let alone at 100kg boy and 30 years old.

That being said, anything he could produce is infinitely better than Cordy in the same role.

I’m optimistic about Bruce. His performance will impact his last contract so I expect him to be good physical condition. Worst case he plays in the same role as Sweet - benchwarmer for 30-40% game time for the first few weeks
We all remember how chunky he looked in 2020 and the ripping condition he came back in for 2021. It's heartening to see that he seems to have maintained that body shape so he's clearly continued to put in a great deal of work despite being in rehab.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back