What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

The club was at rock bottom at the time the Tom Boyd deal was made.

We’d lost Griffen, then McCartney got the ass, and a bunch of other senior players had walked out and a bunch of others wanted out.

Not to mention another rubbish season in 2014.

All the supporters were rightly depressed and angry about the state of affairs.

What the club did with signing Boyd was ballsy but I absolutely commend them for it - they should be celebrated for doing it, not tsked tsked because the contract was so big.

It provided hope for supporters and turned a s**t situation (Griffen leaving) into one that could provide supporters with a bit of hope.

It also showed the competition that we weren’t going to be pushed around - GWS (the ****s that they are) were laughing themselves silly when Griffen announced he wanted out.

They thought they were getting a very good player and because he was so desperate to leave us, that they had the advantage and could screw us over in the trade.

Offering Boyd that contract shoved that right in their face, showed we wouldn’t be screwed around and demanded a fair trade.

Good on the club for having the balls to make the call. It may have been a huge contract to offer a 19 year old, but given the circumstances it was a shrewd move by the club.

Also, it plainly isn’t true to say that the 2016 GF was the only good game Tom Boyd played for us.

He was enormous in the prelim (rucked virtually all game by himself), contributed well in the other two finals, and also played some good home and away games.

If he’d had a bit more luck with injuries, and not had supporters and the likes of Caro and Barrett jumping on him if he had so much as a hair out of place, he would still be playing for us and more than likely playing very well.

Yes, yes, yes.

Nobody should ever let Barrett and Wilson (among others) casually ignore the fact they played a significant part in driving Tom from the game.

Last edited:
The last 5 minutes of the PF were almost unbearable, weren't they?

I had never been in physical pain watching footy prior to that; I could barely hold it together. But as Tory took that greatest of Bulldog marks, I had never been in such bliss over footy.
The sheer relief - and elation - was like being taken off the rack and smacked with yippee beans! :p
Obviously still emotional...

When Picko kicked the sealer in the Granny, tears were welling in my eyes. Slightly embarrassed, I looked around to see if anyone had noticed. To my surprise, everyone around me was the same! So I just let it all out, like everyone else!

Still do occasionally.

Like right now :$
Mate, I'm right with you, nothing worse when you can't even yell for joy because you're choking up with tears.... Those last minutes of the PF sitting there at the venue was the most intense and euphoric I've ever felt.

Yes, yes, yes.

Nobody should ever let Barrett and Wilson (among others) casually ignore the fact they played a significant part in driving Tom from the game.
Boyd describes his reasons for retiring as his mental condition, panic attacks, fatigue, falling out of love with the game, uncertainty about living up to expectations he placed upon himself. I'm no more informed than any other supporter who takes the time to read the odd article about his retirement and I've watched a couple of interviews with him, readily available on youtube, a few set out below. There's nothing that I've read or seen that lends credibility to the allegation that Barrett and/or Wilson or any other journo, for that matter "played a significant part in driving Tom from the game". Tom blames his mental condition and his response to playing football, he never mentions the media. Bev's outbursts aside, what's your basis for that claim, DR ?

'I thought I was going to die': Retired AFL star Tom Boyd opens up on mental health
Tom Boyd says quitting AFL was 'crisis of vocation', not because of mental health

Boyd describes his reasons for retiring as his mental condition, panic attacks, fatigue, falling out of love with the game, uncertainty about living up to expectations he placed upon himself. I'm no more informed than any other supporter who takes the time to read the odd article about his retirement and I've watched a couple of interviews with him, readily available on youtube, a few set out below. There's nothing that I've read or seen that lends credibility to the allegation that Barrett and/or Wilson or any other journo, for that matter "played a significant part in driving Tom from the game". Tom blames his mental condition and his response to playing football, he never mentions the media. Bev's outbursts aside, what's your basis for that claim, DR ?

'I thought I was going to die': Retired AFL star Tom Boyd opens up on mental health
Tom Boyd says quitting AFL was 'crisis of vocation', not because of mental health

Do you enjoy being at odds with the majority and being deliberately obtuse?

It would be interesting if he mentions anything in his book.
I think most people are speculating but I would imagine that if my ability, personal life or employment contract was being questioned publicly it would have a negative impact on my mental health, my love for my career and would lead to anxiety. And for someone in their early 20s it would only be amplified.
Part of his mental health strategy may be to not apportion blame or dwell in negativity so he may never fully reveal how he was affected

Do you enjoy being at odds with the majority and being deliberately obtuse?
Why not wait to see if DR does have a basis for his/her opinion ? He might well be right and I might be wrong. Do you attribute "significant blame for Tom's retirement" on Barrett and/or Wilson ? If so, perhaps you'll enlighten the minority ?

Why not wait to see if DR does have a basis for his/her opinion ? He might well be right and I might be wrong. Do you attribute "significant blame for Tom's retirement" on Barrett and/or Wilson ? If so, perhaps you'll enlighten the minority ?
I'd say the "minority" knows and is arguing for the sake of it

It would be interesting if he mentions anything in his book.
I think most people are speculating but I would imagine that if my ability, personal life or employment contract was being questioned publicly it would have a negative impact on my mental health, my love for my career and would lead to anxiety. And for someone in their early 20s it would only be amplified.
Part of his mental health strategy may be to not apportion blame or dwell in negativity so he may never fully reveal how he was affected
When you buy it, f83, let us know what he says. I appreciate your logic and even-handedness but Tom's published on the issue. DR and others of the same view might well have a solid basis for the allegations against Wilson and Barrett.

Beveridge's media conference after Toyd's announcement was very strong.

I believe he said some in the media landscape have 'black hearts'.
Old Bev, eh ? Not only did he get the lads up for the 2016 Grand Final, he's got a good number of posters up for his anti-Barrett crusade.

Tom said he was always ambivalent about playing in the AFL from day one. He thinks deeply about things and was not 100% sure he could live up to the expectations placed on him by himself and the outside footy world. He found himself down the pecking order at GWS which was overflowing with talent when he was drafted. Even at our club he seemed to be a square peg in a round hole. The negative press wouldn’t have helped.

... The negative press wouldn’t have helped.
That's a far cry from "played a significant part in driving Tom from the game". Bev's a great coach, his communication to supporters of insights into the Club's game is second only to Terry Wheeler's. From a supporters' point of view, they are the Club's 2 best coaches in my lifetime. He's wrong about Barrett and the Press in general.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The basis was Beveridge calling out those individuals in a thinly veiled manner when talking about the retirement.

Bevo obviously gets emotional and doesn't like a lot of elements of the media so you have to take what he says with a grain of salt, but what he's saying here and how it impacted Tom is clearly not coming from nowhere.

It's unlikely Tom will talk about this impact upon his career in any significant detail, or involving any deep introspection about it all. A common part of the process of improving one's mental health is to only worry about things that a person themselves can control, whilst exploring what environmental factors are a factor, they're often looked at through the lens of how a person can deal with that (ie, removing yourself from that environment, such as through retirement). If he's in a better mental headspace, it'll make little sense to spend too much time looking at it too deeply.

The basis was Beveridge calling out those individuals in a thinly veiled manner when talking about the retirement.

Bevo obviously gets emotional and doesn't like a lot of elements of the media so you have to take what he says with a grain of salt, but what he's saying here and how it impacted Tom is clearly not coming from nowhere.

It's unlikely Tom will talk about this impact upon his career in any significant detail, or involving any deep introspection about it all. A common part of the process of improving one's mental health is to only worry about things that a person themselves can control, whilst exploring what environmental factors are a factor, they're often looked at through the lens of how a person can deal with that (ie, removing yourself from that environment, such as through retirement). If he's in a better mental headspace, it'll make little sense to spend too much time looking at it too deeply.
The source is Bev, that's it. It's safe to assume Barrett, given Bev's physical assault, where does Wilson come into it ? Boyd makes no mention of the impact of the press let alone any particular journalist. With no disrespect to DR, the accusation that Barrett and/Wilson "played a significant part in driving Tom from the game" approaches hyperbole, ridiculous..

Last edited:
The source is Bev, that's it. It's safe to assume Barrett, given Bev's physical assault, where does Wilson come into it ? Boyd makes no mention of the impact of the press let alone any particular journalist. With no disrespect to DR, the accusation that Barrett and/Wilson "played a significant part in driving Tom from the game" approaches hyperbole, ridiculous..

Not sure its hyperbole or ridiculous. You only have to go back and look at the media coverage and every time Tom was talked about so was his contract. The pressure on him from the media was relentless.

Barrett was a culprit, no question, but so was Wilson (and others) in her own subtle, sly way. Of course Boyd is not going to mention the media or particular journalists because he doesn't want to be seen to be making excuses.

Not sure its hyperbole or ridiculous. You only have to go back and look at the media coverage and every time Tom was talked about so was his contract. The pressure on him from the media was relentless.

Barrett was a culprit, no question, but so was Wilson (and others) in her own subtle, sly way. Of course Boyd is not going to mention the media or particular journalists because he doesn't want to be seen to be making excuses.
Continually described/referred to as "six million dollar man Tom Boyd''.

Bit of the old Chinese water torture about that, especially for a kid of 19/20/21.

Am I using the forward slash/stroke/line correctly, DM? ;)/:cool:

Kane Cornes (who I actually don’t mind) did another drive by this week. Did a good segment talking about okay players being paid a mint (McStay, Amon) and casually threw in Tom’s name.

Continually described/referred to as "six million dollar man Tom Boyd''.

Bit of the old Chinese water torture about that, especially for a kid of 19/20/21.

Am I using the forward slash/stroke/line correctly, DM? ;)/:cool:
There's very little that you post that is incorrect, GDB. A fellow addict to the forward slash, I like the opening sentence and am in profound admiration of the ambiguity in your phrase within inverted commas. Is "six million dollar man" intended to be adjectival or nounal ? If the latter, a comma after "man" would clarify. I think you are trying to get inside our heads. I'll have to have a long think about that. With a bit of luck WW Biscuit will spot this exchange and adjudicate.

Lobb was the difference. Between them, our 3 talls scored 4 goals, the same number as Lobb's bag.

There's very little that you post that is incorrect, GDB. A fellow addict to the forward slash, I like the opening sentence and am in profound admiration of the ambiguity in your phrase within inverted commas. Is "six million dollar man" intended to be adjectival or nounal ? If the latter, a comma after "man" would clarify. I think you are trying to get inside our heads. I'll have to have a long think about that. With a bit of luck WW Biscuit will spot this exchange and adjudicate.

Lobb was the difference. Between them, our 3 talls scored 4 goals, the same number as Lobb's bag.
The inverted commas contained a quote from Barrett. Said quote is verbatim, which is why there is no comma. Barrett says/said it as a phrase. Far be it from me to meddle with a statement from The Purple Warrior - ambiguous or not.

Anyway, I think you missed the point, to a degree...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back