What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

A Defence which leaks goals, doesn't particularly work well together and includes individuals who cop a hiding from supporters week in week out. A forward line that doesn't kick enough goals collectively and not a single, consistent multiple goal scorer since Wallis fell out of favour. A midfield with a couple of exceptional players, Bont and Macrae, with very good support but a consistently underperforming ruck division. This isn't a top 4 team.
Isn’t a defence that doesn’t work well together and leaks goals and a forward line full of talent who doesn’t kick goals the problem? Sounds like a coaching issue to me, we’ve had 3 roughly 50 goal seasons from key forwards across the last two years I’d suggest that’s more then we had in our prelim years.

The problems you’ve highlighted are reasons against Bevo not for

I think people forget what it was like not to have even won consecutive finals in about 50 years, let alone making grand finals and winning flags.

Bevo’s tenure hasn’t been perfect but you have to think he’s done what he’s done in spite of some historical shackles, and he’s shifted the expectations of the club.

If there were a sign he was losing the players etc I’d consider whether it might be time for him, but we made finals this year and a grand final last year so I don’t think thats an issue.

Might need changes around him and some luck but if he stays I’d expect us to play in another grand final within a few years (probably with a few frustrating years here and there).

4 first week exits, 1 out and out embarrassment in a GF we should have been competitive in and 0 top 4 finishes.

Doesn’t look as pretty as you make it out to be does it.

This is Bevos list, if there’s holes it’s on him - all well and good to sprout your stats and have a dig at everyone else but we’ve performed to or above expectations in two, admittedly brilliant, seasons FFS mate. We’ve underperformed in 5.

Plus let’s forget about 15/16 now - they’re genuinely ******* irrelevant, we have massively underperformed since. Should Sheedy still be Essendon coach? Bomber Thompson coach of Geelong?

That’s 6 years ago my man, we are currently underperforming - massively, come up with whatever bullshit you’d like to get around that fact whatever, your opinion is what it is. As is mine
This is beyond silly.

Since 2016 we have essentially turned over 85% of the list whilst making finals 4 out of 6 years. This is a significant achievement.

Bevo is an excellent and resigning is a good decision.

Isn’t a defence that doesn’t work well together and leaks goals and a forward line full of talent who doesn’t kick goals the problem? Sounds like a coaching issue to me, we’ve had 3 roughly 50 goal seasons from key forwards across the last two years I’d suggest that’s more then we had in our prelim years.

The problems you’ve highlighted are reasons against Bevo not for
Apples and oranges. My proposition is that the team isn’t a top 4 quality team, in response to accusations against Bev that he’s wasting all this so-called glorious talent. Yours is that Bev's not good enough / past it. I concede that there’s sufficient nexus between the 2 propositions that might allow…ah, it doesn’t matter. Anyway, you cherry picked 1 of 3 deficiencies I highlighted in our defence and concluded that not playing well together is Bev’s fault. Consider whether it might be that they just aren’t good enough, my conclusion. When it got to our forwards, you snuck in “…full of talent”. Talent ?? Exactly the opposite, with the possible exception of Lloyd, there hasn't been any particular forward talent since Stringer and Boyd ‘til Bruce was recruited. He’s given us 1 year, 2021, and that not even to your 50 goal benchmark (48 goals). Naughton’s an exceptional mark and a model of 2nd and 3rd efforts, love him to death, who doesn’t ?. Top 4 teams need more than a single Naughton. Ergo my conclusion that whoever coached us, we haven’t been a top 4 side since 2016 when we finished…oops. Bev’s done brilliantly with what he’s had at his disposal. I just can’t resist an ankle tap as I jog past an old foe, apply a bit of logic to your responses.

Last edited:
2021 is the base year where the team played to their potential for about 18 weeks of the season. This is the benchma4K we need to measure against.

This demonstrates the list is exceptionally talented and is a top 4 quality

it is also validates that the team has underachieved in 2020 and significantly in 2022.

yes we made finals 6 out of 8 yrs but 4 of them we have been beaten by teams we were more talented than, except maybe GWS.

We got lucky in 16. A valid 50 against JJ could have costs us the Prelim and In what the lions semi could have gone either way. Sometimes luck plays a part. Something Eade and Wallace had none of during a couple of prelims. Also Bevo has had the rub of the green while Eade and Wallace teams were often crucified. Remember The AFL had it in for us during Wallace reign. Under Bevo the conspiracy is the AFL has been very pro dogs.

so many variables are at play. I think Bevo has underachieved with the advantages he has had compared to every other dogs coach in the past 50 years.

nervous mickey mouse GIF

4 first week exits, 1 out and out embarrassment in a GF we should have been competitive in and 0 top 4 finishes.

This is Bevos list, if there’s holes it’s on him - all well and good to sprout your stats and have a dig at everyone else but we’ve performed to or above expectations in two, admittedly brilliant, seasons FFS mate. We’ve underperformed in 5.

Plus let’s forget about 15/16 now - they’re genuinely ******* irrelevant, we have massively underperformed since. Should Sheedy still be Essendon coach? Bomber Thompson coach of Geelong?

That’s 6 years ago my man, we are currently underperforming - massively, come up with whatever bullshit you’d like to get around that fact whatever, your opinion is what it is. As is mine
Yea sorry my post came across as having a go at you specifically when I didn't mean it to.
I'm just sick and tired of the narrative driven by the media hungry for a story.
The stats speak for themselves and they are facts, not bullshit. He's the most successful coach we have had in our 100+ year history.
Grand final in his second year, Grand final LAST year (which we led by 3 goals deep in the third...), not 6 years ago, last year.
I think a lot of Bulldogs supporters are having their opinions curated by the footy media. I think the expectations need to be checked rather than the coach.
Our list is constantly changing and being replenished with new talent. Bevo got a totally different team to a grand final 5 years after he got them there and won one. He's done it without home ground advantages like Geelong and Richmmond as well.
Dimma did it with one team and hasn't been able to rebuild and do it again...
Clarkson oversaw Hawthorn falling off a cliff... he couldn't rebuild and do it again...
Bevo did it on the run and, but for 35 minutes in the 2021 GF after copping the worst of the Covid rules out of any team, he would have 2 flags won by different teams 5 years apart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yea sorry my post came across as having a go at you specifically when I didn't mean it to.
I'm just sick and tired of the narrative driven by the media hungry for a story.
The stats speak for themselves and they are facts, not bullshit. He's the most successful coach we have had in our 100+ year history.
Grand final in his second year, Grand final LAST year (which we led by 3 goals deep in the third...), not 6 years ago, last year.
I think a lot of Bulldogs supporters are having their opinions curated by the footy media. I think the expectations need to be checked rather than the coach.
Our list is constantly changing and being replenished with new talent. Bevo got a totally different team to a grand final 5 years after he got them there and won one. He's done it without home ground advantages like Geelong and Richmmond as well.
Dimma did it with one team and hasn't been able to rebuild and do it again...
Clarkson oversaw Hawthorn falling off a cliff... he couldn't rebuild and do it again...
Bevo did it on the run and, but for 35 minutes in the 2021 GF after copping the worst of the Covid rules out of any team, he would have 2 flags won by different teams 5 years apart.
Yeah look I have no doubt that Bevos done an awesome job at times and that he’s constantly pushing s**t up hill to get anywhere with the cards that are dealt against us as a club. Mine, and i guess anyone criticising the decision to extend him right now, problem isn’t necessarily with Bevo being coach no one’s asking for him to be sacked.

But on last years performance where he genuinely looks cooked and it’s the first year in charge that the players have not bought in to what he’s saying. Why are we extending him on that? What happens if he really has lost the players does this just go on endlessly until he finally decides to hang ‘em up because he won us a flag several years ago?

We’ve stated we’re unveiling a 3 year plan - I just don’t see the harm in waiting to see if we actually do turn things around and make strides to meet the expectations of that plan. If by round 10 next year Bevo is his bubbly best, the players are 100% behind him and his ideas and the results are flowing - sure sign him up. The issue is doing it now when unfortunately there is signs that maybe the good days are done when performances last year were seriously concerning, effort from players was literally no where near where it needed to be - and talk keeps popping up about the club being in turmoil behind the scenes with no one wanting to work here.

It’s very very risky to sign him on a multiple year deal right now when there’s no evidence he will turn it around. As I’ve said previously in this thread I’m probably okay with a 1 year extension just to take the pressure off this year and allow us to have a proper crack but that seems unlikely and anything more than 1 year right now would be crazy until we see results.

Plus we have different opinions about ‘21, it was a great effort considering the conditions we were dealing with. But let’s be honest - that was ENTIRELY our own doing. I have the year as a failure and I think we should have won the flag but we shat the bed and he has to take some responsibility for that, as do the players.

If you’re going to aggressively go at people who cannot get facts through their ‘thick skulls’ then it’s probably best not to give a grade A example of how stats can be manipulated.
But for 35 min...and about 100 unanswered goals.

2021 is the base year where the team played to their potential for about 18 weeks of the season. This is the benchma4K we need to measure against.

This demonstrates the list is exceptionally talented and is a top 4 quality

it is also validates that the team has underachieved in 2020 and significantly in 2022.

yes we made finals 6 out of 8 yrs but 4 of them we have been beaten by teams we were more talented than, except maybe GWS.

We got lucky in 16. A valid 50 against JJ could have costs us the Prelim and In what the lions semi could have gone either way. Sometimes luck plays a part. Something Eade and Wallace had none of during a couple of prelims. Also Bevo has had the rub of the green while Eade and Wallace teams were often crucified. Remember The AFL had it in for us during Wallace reign. Under Bevo the conspiracy is the AFL has been very pro dogs.

so many variables are at play. I think Bevo has underachieved with the advantages he has had compared to every other dogs coach in the past 50 years.
This self-depreciating crap coming makes me so ******* mad.
We got lucky in 16!!
Piss off

All this conjecture about Bevo is just filling up space on bulldogs bigfooty. The club is backing him as the best ever coach of the dogs a flag and a runners up regardless about a lot of negative opinions on bigfooty so we should just back him in for 2023.

This self-depreciating crap coming makes me so ******* mad.
We got lucky in 16!!
Piss off
Oh dear. Personal attacks. Typical uneducated response. Makes me laugh and I wonder why some supporter groups label our supporter base the way they do.

ok Was not luck Then, so maybe the misguided swans supporters were right. We were handed the flag AFL by the ridiculous Free kick count in the GF. I prefer luck than conspiracy.

Facts are we were robbed by the umps in the St Kilda prelim. Libba’s goal was incorrectly scored a point In 97. That is 2 GF appearances costed by the umps. In contrast under Bevo and the change in the AFL we have been very lucky with the umps.

Do you deny the above and do you deny that JJ infringed the protective zone In the 16 prelim. Lions supporters whinged about the umpires favouring us in the semi in 21 also.

Last edited:
Oh dear. Personal attacks. Typical uneducated response. Makes me laugh and I wonder why some supporter groups label our supporter base the way they do.

ok Was not luck Then, so maybe the misguided swans supporters were right. We were handed the flag AFL by the ridiculous Free kick count in the GF. I prefer luck than conspiracy.

Facts are we were robbed by the umps in the St Kilda prelim. Libba’s goal was incorrectly scored a point In 97. That is 2 GF appearances costed by the umps. In contrast under Bevo and the change in the AFL we have been very lucky with the umps.

Do you deny the above and do you deny that JJ infringed the protective zone In the 16 prelim. Lions supporters whinged about the umpires favouring us in the semi in 21 also.
There were a lot of umpiring decisions missed both ways.

I don’t think we get the rub of the green, Bont having his eyes gouged in a finals with no consequences for Green and GWS.
JJ‘s goal not paid, when there was no clear evidence to say it was touched.
Brisbane finishing in forth, after they had a timekeeping malfunction, which the AFL should have corrected, meaning we had to travel around Australia, when we were clearly one of the top two teams last year.
How about the State imposed sanctions meaning the players could not even go for a walk after the game or after the plane ride, they were locked into their hotel rooms.

There was no luck there just bloody grit.

This is an awful lot of melting over one small comment, hardly a personal attack.

I can cherry pick many decisions that we could have got on top of what was paid too, saying we were lucky is just stupid at the end of the day

Not sure if you are accusing me of personal attacks...
'Typical uneducated response' - gee wiz. sorry professor.
Yes I do deny the above and in regards to the minor infringement of JJ in the protective zone, I ask you did he influence the result of the kick in any way? The JJ in fringement was a matter of him running past within 5 metres of the mark in the first year that the rule had been introduced - the ball was still sent forward unimpeded...
The incident in the Brisbane Prelim where Oscar McKinerny ran under the ball-up with his eye's only on English did effect English's attempt at the ball... and when Vandermeer scored the point he was ridden into the ground with a player on his back - he should have been awarded a free kick from 3 metres out but for heavens sake, don't whinge about that.
Lets look to the free kick count - that will reveal why the game was won... yea right

What I would suggest is that you stop looking at umpiring decisions and get a 'feel for the game'. If you've never played the game, which I'm pretty sure you haven't, then ignore the free-kick count. It is actually irrelevant.
I suspect you might be part of the new generation that wants 10 free kicks each team per game... to award ribbons to every kid that participates and not recognise winners. That's is fair enough but AFL hasn't lowered itself to that level yet... I emphasis YET.
The Bulldogs were undoubtably the best team throughout the finals and on GF day in 2016.
How about you tell Dale Morris or Matthew Boyd that we got lucky that day. Maybe you should even re-watch the game?

What I would like to know is exactly what umpiring decisions in the 2016 GF we got lucky with?
I have a few Swans mates that keep saying 'free-kick count, free-kick count' just like you... yet to hear the specifics of which frees were incorrect.

Last edited:

I'm spouting stats that are embedded in history and it's based on playing finals or not playing finals and winning flags or not winning flags.... and in regards to having a dig at everyone else, I think its you plus your vocal minority friends that I'm having a dig at and unlike the majority on here I'm going to call you out on the bullshit you are spouting.

oh and regarding this little gem you came up with...
"That’s 6 years ago my man, we are currently underperforming..."
we played in a GF just over 12 months ago.

I'm spouting stats that are embedded in history and it's based on playing finals or not playing finals and winning flags or not winning flags.... and in regards to having a dig at everyone else, I think its you plus your vocal minority friends that I'm having a dig at and unlike the majority on here I'm going to call you out on the bullshit you are spouting.

oh and regarding this little gem you came up with...
"That’s 6 years ago my man, we are currently underperforming..."
we played in a GF just over 12 months ago.
How do you know you're in the majority with your opinions? This is a forum. Everyone should be heard and treated with respect. That's how we all learn and move forward. You think Bevo's great and our list isn't. That's fine. Other people don't share that view and that's fine as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back