What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yea, the Swans supporters I know all keep banging on about it but when i ask them for specific details of what decisions they are talking about they have nothing. The only thing they keep repeating is 'free kick count'... as if every team has a right to exactly the same amount of free kicks.
The thing is that the game wasn't decided by a kick, it was a comfortable 22 points in the end. So if it came down to one contentious decision in front of goal that wasn't paid that would have won it for them then its understandable but that didn't happen. In fact JJ's touched goal decision was the most contentious one that day and we still steam-rolled them.
They also hang their hat on an article which reliable Sydney based AFL rag The Australian posted which included this ridiculous line: "The league were embarrassed to the point that then-acting AFL general manager of football operations Mark Evans rang Sydney chief executive Andrew Ireland on the Tuesday after the match to apologise for the umpires costing the Swans four goals." No quoted source, and this wasn't repeated anywhere but that single article. Coincidently 4 goals was just the margin of the game, meaning the Swans were obviously robbed of a certain victory.

Anyone with half an idea of how football works (ie not most Sydney fans) knows how bullshit this is given you can't directly link an umpiring decision with a goal, particularly when the few decisions which were probably poor and in our favour occured further up the ground rather than directly in front of goal.

Long may they continue to bleat about it.

fred cook

Premiership Player
Jan 14, 2005
brunswick
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
nnn
They also hang their hat on an article which reliable Sydney based AFL rag The Australian posted which included this ridiculous line: "The league were embarrassed to the point that then-acting AFL general manager of football operations Mark Evans rang Sydney chief executive Andrew Ireland on the Tuesday after the match to apologise for the umpires costing the Swans four goals." No quoted source, and this wasn't repeated anywhere but that single article. Coincidently 4 goals was just the margin of the game, meaning the Swans were obviously robbed of a certain victory.

Anyone with half an idea of how football works (ie not most Sydney fans) knows how bullshit this is given you can't directly link an umpiring decision with a goal, particularly when the few decisions which were probably poor and in our favour occured further up the ground rather than directly in front of goal.

Swan fans have no cred after that performance in the GF this year , they have now have recent big time form of chocking in big final games Remember Swan fans you lost a GF to a side that finished 7th :)

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Swan fans have no cred after that performance in the GF this year , they have now have recent big time form of chocking in big final games Remember Swan fans you lost a GF to a side that finished 7th :)
They lost two finals in 2016, they have absolutely no claim on any greatness that year.

Doesn’t surprise me, most conservative of the Murdoch rags, against the Bulldogs with then President Gordon, a thorn to Big business.

Would love a full description of the incidents that were wrongly umpired and how they cost the goals. Unfortunately no one can supply these details. I wonder how many wrong decisions cost us goals, as well as JJ's.

Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure if you are accusing me of personal attacks...
'Typical uneducated response' - gee wiz. sorry professor.
Yes I do deny the above and in regards to the minor infringement of JJ in the protective zone, I ask you did he influence the result of the kick in any way? The JJ in fringement was a matter of him running past within 5 metres of the mark in the first year that the rule had been introduced - the ball was still sent forward unimpeded...
The incident in the Brisbane Prelim where Oscar McKinerny ran under the ball-up with his eye's only on English did effect English's attempt at the ball... and when Vandermeer scored the point he was ridden into the ground with a player on his back - he should have been awarded a free kick from 3 metres out but for heavens sake, don't whinge about that.
Lets look to the free kick count - that will reveal why the game was won... yea right

What I would suggest is that you stop looking at umpiring decisions and get a 'feel for the game'. If you've never played the game, which I'm pretty sure you haven't, then ignore the free-kick count. It is actually irrelevant.
I suspect you might be part of the new generation that wants 10 free kicks each team per game... to award ribbons to every kid that participates and not recognise winners. That's is fair enough but AFL hasn't lowered itself to that level yet... I emphasis YET.
The Bulldogs were undoubtably the best team throughout the finals and on GF day in 2016.
How about you tell Dale Morris or Matthew Boyd that we got lucky that day. Maybe you should even re-watch the game?

What I would like to know is exactly what umpiring decisions in the 2016 GF we got lucky with?
I have a few Swans mates that keep saying 'free-kick count, free-kick count' just like you... yet to hear the specifics of which frees were incorrect.
Sorry for my delayed response but I am too busy to frequent big footy daily.

yes I have played football and no I am not fixated by free kick counts. Have followed dogs since late 70s and Honestly believed The VFL and AFL had us in the gun and we were always on the wrong side of the green and that it costed us GF and finals appearances. Late 90’s were the worse. Collins definitely hated us. I still stand by more comments that 97 and I think 2009 umpire decisions costed us potential flags. we had suspensions for wrestling etc, Wallace certainly was very unlucky with how were were treated. If we received a fair go he may have well been a Premiership coach.

in the GF against Swans I actually believe there was only a couple of frees not there. The clay Smith one which resulted in a goal was definitely one but no others actually had any influence and we were the better team on the day, and deserved the win. I have many arguments with a Swans friend about the umpiring. I said opposition supporters whinged, not that I agree with them.

i Just don’t believe Bevo has been the best coach. He had 2 outstanding years in 15 and 16, 21 was very good apart from a 5 week mystery form slump which probably costed us the Flag and Bont the Brownlow. He has had the best list, facilities and resources of any Dogs coach.

As a club we need to take advantage of this window and not waste the Bont years. Two Ex players have relayed concerning information about our messiah, alluding to his arrogance, nepotism and lack of a game plan. Maybe this information has increased my concerns of our coach. Hopefully the more balanced 15/16 Bevo returns in 23 and we win the flag.

geoffjennings79

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We will be the first club to be coached by a non-human entity:

1668656091392.jpeg

It's also a fabulous marketing opportunity. For our away strip, players will run out dressed as Toy Story characters.

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry for my delayed response but I am too busy to frequent big footy daily.

yes I have played football and no I am not fixated by free kick counts. Have followed dogs since late 70s and Honestly believed The VFL and AFL had us in the gun and we were always on the wrong side of the green and that it costed us GF and finals appearances. Late 90’s were the worse. Collins definitely hated us. I still stand by more comments that 97 and I think 2009 umpire decisions costed us potential flags. we had suspensions for wrestling etc, Wallace certainly was very unlucky with how were were treated. If we received a fair go he may have well been a Premiership coach.

in the GF against Swans I actually believe there was only a couple of frees not there. The clay Smith one which resulted in a goal was definitely one but no others actually had any influence and we were the better team on the day, and deserved the win. I have many arguments with a Swans friend about the umpiring. I said opposition supporters whinged, not that I agree with them.

i Just don’t believe Bevo has been the best coach. He had 2 outstanding years in 15 and 16, 21 was very good apart from a 5 week mystery form slump which probably costed us the Flag and Bont the Brownlow. He has had the best list, facilities and resources of any Dogs coach.

As a club we need to take advantage of this window and not waste the Bont years. Two Ex players have relayed concerning information about our messiah, alluding to his arrogance, nepotism and lack of a game plan. Maybe this information has increased my concerns of our coach. Hopefully the more balanced 15/16 Bevo returns in 23 and we win the flag.
The Bulldogs team in 1985, 1997 and then again in 2008 are generally considered to be the greatest teams in our modern history (ie the last 50 years). Whilst they came close those teams never made a grand final.
I totally agree with not wasting the 'Bont' years... I didn't want to waste the "Grant' or the 'Johnno' years... or the 'Hawkins' years either... but we did and so has every team wasted the years of their once in a generation superstars.
Grand Finals and premierships are harder to come by than hens teeth and we have made 2 grand finals and won a flag in the last 6 years. That is astounding!!
You can't possibly tell me after reading the above that you don't agree.

Last edited:

Brass Dog

Senior List
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Yankees
I am Christ reborn
You’re not the messiah, you’re a very naughty boy!

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.” BH

😜

Yep..Bev has underachieved winning a premiership and runner up.
These past coaches are far superior.
That old fart from our successful 70’s that bags the club should coach.
Enough. If you lot must drag out this exchange please take it to a Bevo thread. There are plenty of them.

This thread’s for media reports.

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Grand Finals and premierships are harder to come by than hens teeth and we have made 2 grand finals and won a flag in the last 6 years. That is astounding!!
I am in basic agreement with you but if you think our record is “outstanding “ what do you call Richmond’s?
Do you mean it’s good for us? It is a good effort but from where we were in the third quarter in 2021 I think more could have been achieved.

Claudonious

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yea, the Swans supporters I know all keep banging on about it but when i ask them for specific details of what decisions they are talking about they have nothing. The only thing they keep repeating is 'free kick count'... as if every team has a right to exactly the same amount of free kicks.
The thing is that the game wasn't decided by a kick, it was a comfortable 22 points in the end. So if it came down to one contentious decision in front of goal that wasn't paid that would have won it for them then its understandable but that didn't happen. In fact JJ's touched goal decision was the most contentious one that day and we still steam-rolled them.

There were quite a few frees that were play on adavantage. Add the JJ clear goal given a point, and Toby’s kick after the siren that he didn’t give a shite about, and it’s a 5 goal win in a canter. Let alone the Picko incident where he had his head torn off 30 out and it was given play on.

We won by 5 goals in a canter - the swans were garbage all day apart from about 10 minutes of Kennedy brilliance.

Imagine if Stringer had of turned up - he was absolutely terrible all game.

The Swans fans need to suck it up and admit that their forwards were woeful and they were lucky to get within 4 goals.

By the way - how good was our ruckman bont? I watched some highlights that focused on bont only - he had about 20 third man up taps - was unbelievable.

For those who bang on about him going up in the ruck a couple of times in recent games - how about them apples.

I know a few swans fans…including my wife who was in some ways relieved the dogs won, she is nowhere near as passionate as me.

The swans fans I know were fantastic- no mention of umps and they were genuinely happy for me.That’s what is irritating - they waited decades like us - how about accepting the reality they were not good enough and be happy for a team that deserved some time in the sun.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back