ExRoyboy

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz

Warning - distressing.
That is without doubt one of the most difficult things I have read. Being roughly a similar age and hanging around football clubs and basketball clubs at a similar time I can vividly relate to the period of time and how things were back then. I also came into contact with some men who hung around those clubs as coaches or volunteers and think I’m lucky that nothing ever happened to me. I was also an alter server in the church but never had anything bad happen through that time either. To some extent I just feel lucky that I was spared coming into contact with such people now looking back.

What happened to Adam was an absolute tragedy and anything that the club can do to help him they absolutely must be doing. To know that this atrocity was occurring at a club that I now love and support is hard to digest. I know that no one there now was probably a part of it but I find it amazing to believe that the police never spoke to senior people in the club such as the CEO when the club premises was the location of much of the offending. So surely the club had to be aware of the case and should have reached out to Adam well before now.

I feel really devastated for Adam and his family and I hope he gets all the help he needs. The sentences for those involved are obviously entirely inadequate as they seem to be for any and all sexual offences. The victim is left scared for life and the offender gets a slap on the wrist. Even though it’s slightly better now it’s still not good enough.

That is without doubt one of the most difficult things I have read. Being roughly a similar age and hanging around football clubs and basketball clubs at a similar time I can vividly relate to the period of time and how things were back then. I also came into contact with some men who hung around those clubs as coaches or volunteers and think I’m lucky that nothing ever happened to me. I was also an alter server in the church but never had anything bad happen through that time either. To some extent I just feel lucky that I was spared coming into contact with such people now looking back.

What happened to Adam was an absolute tragedy and anything that the club can do to help him they absolutely must be doing. To know that this atrocity was occurring at a club that I now love and support is hard to digest. I know that no one there now was probably a part of it but I find it amazing to believe that the police never spoke to senior people in the club such as the CEO when the club premises was the location of much of the offending. So surely the club had to be aware of the case and should have reached out to Adam well before now.

I feel really devastated for Adam and his family and I hope he gets all the help he needs. The sentences for those involved are obviously entirely inadequate as they seem to be for any and all sexual offences. The victim is left scared for life and the offender gets a slap on the wrist. Even though it’s slightly better now it’s still not good enough.
Yep very tough to read. Up there with their report of the young Aussie cricketer who was abused on tour in Sri Lanka. Harrowing stuff.

There have been a number of similar cases come out over the past couple of decades in the UK as well - living in the west of Scotland there was a prominent one involving Celtic FC but numerous football (soccer) and other sports clubs have had their own cases come to light. I imagine that sports clubs - with men in positions of power over a number of young boys having significant opportunity to carry out such abuse - historically have a high incidence of this abhorrent behaviour.

We often throw phrases around in this forum that the club is being "negligent" or "incompetent" when it comes to list management, coaching etc, but that's obviously hyperbolic. If those involved - now and historically - don't do everything in their power to try and bring what happened to light and do whatever they can to support Adam and any other victims, then they will genuinely bring the club into disrepute.

When I heard that Ameet Bains was being interviewed on 3AW, I thought good, they are having him on to address the article about Adam, but to my shock, there was not one mention of it.

Has the club made any official statement yet. If so, can you please post a link, because I haven't seen one.

When I heard that Ameet Bains was being interviewed on 3AW, I thought good, they are having him on to address the article about Adam, but to my shock, there was not one mention of it.

Has the club made any official statement yet. If so, can you please post a link, because I haven't seen one.

Thanks, but I don't consider that a statement from the club, but rather answering questions put to them by the journo.
Yeah that’s fair enough. They do need to say something formally. I think a day or two is ok to get a statement together.

People wonder why we need to apologise to the stolen generation when “it wasn’t any of us who did it”. This is why.

Echo sentiments that no time or expense can be spared in support of Adam and his family. “We didn’t know” is as weak as pi55 from Gordon, how about “we should have known and we are so, so sorry we didn’t protect you”

We need to learn from this atrocity as an organisation and as a society. I’d go as far as to suggest the football club retire the number 12 as a permanent reminder of the age a child’s life was stolen from him within our walls.

Last couple of days I have heard a lot about St Kilda giving up a win because they lost by a point because they ‘sold’ a game and didn’t play on Marvel. Didn’t we do that last week, same result and no mention. The media are just sheep in this code.

We need to learn from this atrocity as an organisation and as a society. I’d go as far as to suggest the football club retire the number 12 as a permanent reminder of the age a child’s life was stolen from him within our walls.
I get the sentiment but I really dislike that idea. Firstly, I think we can acknowledge the errors more meaningfully rather than something tokenistic. Second, I think it’s a pretty horrific way to ‘apologise’ to Adam.

Less importantly, I also think it’s unfair to the playing group and especially all the previous number 12’s to have that cloud over them.

Last couple of days I have heard a lot about St Kilda giving up a win because they lost by a point because they ‘sold’ a game and didn’t play on Marvel. Didn’t we do that last week, same result and no mention. The media are just sheep in this code.
Quite different imo. We play home games every year at Mars and are used to the ground. Our win ratio there is similar to our win win ratio at Marvel, maybe even better. Also we didn’t have any long distance travel to recover from. So our winning chance against Adelaide at Mars would have been very similar to that at marvel.
Not the same with Cazaly and Marvel for StKilda. They now have extra travel to recover from too.

Has anyone listened to the Clay Smith interview on the Danny Boyd podcast?

After battling some mental demons in recent years, it's great to hear Clay is doing very well and keeping very busy. I wasn't aware he had taken up boxing and won his first fight. He is training at the Yarraville gym in preparation for his second fight.

Even though most are aware of the passing of his best mate during the 2016 finals, it was interesting to hear more about that. Clay caught up with close mates during the week of the Prelim Final and his preparation was far from ideal. He mentioned on a couple of nights he had drinks with his close mates as a way of dealing with the tragic passing of a very close mate. It's incredible to think he was BOG in the Prelim and we wouldn't have won it without him.

As sad as it was to hear about the passing of his best mate, given the events that followed with Clay being BOG, do you think he would have had the same influence regardless? Who really knows, but it's perhaps interesting to consider had his best mate not lost his life, Clay's preparation would have been very different and perhaps he wouldn't have had the same influence he had. Perhaps this means we wouldn't have been 2016 premiers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite different imo. We play home games every year at Mars and are used to the ground. Our win ratio there is similar to our win win ratio at Marvel, maybe even better. Also we didn’t have any long distance travel to recover from. So our winning chance against Adelaide at Mars would have been very similar to that at marvel.
Not the same with Cazaly and Marvel for StKilda. They now have extra travel to recover from too.
I like games there at Mars. I just thought the media narrative was poor with StKilda.

I get the sentiment but I really dislike that idea. Firstly, I think we can acknowledge the errors more meaningfully rather than something tokenistic. Second, I think it’s a pretty horrific way to ‘apologise’ to Adam.

Less importantly, I also think it’s unfair to the playing group and especially all the previous number 12’s to have that cloud over them.

Appreciate your thoughts and yep it’s bloody confronting. The article outlines the difficulties we have as a society having these travesties thrust upon us and rightly so but the alternative can lead to victims suffering in silence.

What some see as a token sentiments can be incredibly powerful symbols. Kaepernick taking a knee was a token gesture but it was and has become so much more than that.

Have rolled over the Media thread and copied the last few posts (above) from the old thread to kick it off...

Last edited:

Harrowing read. Feel so sorry for Adam and what he had to endure and still has to endure. It should never have been allowed to happen. It makes my skin crawl and you just hope his perpetrators (and all child abuse offenders) rot in hell.

Angry with the response of Gordon - bloody pathetic. Even the current administration, just show some damn compassion. Acknowledge this poor bloke has had his life destroyed by these grubs and offer him support. Nothing can change what happened, but try to be human about it. Don't just say 'I knew nothing about it, I didn't do anything wrong' and wash your hands of it. That's the cowards way out.

:oops: Hope it doesn't take away his powers...​

Bailey Smith has cut his famous mullet and enlisted the help of a hairdresser to the stars​

Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith is sporting a new look, with his locks lopped by a hairdresser whose previous clients include Anna Wintour, Priscilla Presley and Ruby Rose.

Alice Coster
Follow
@aliceheraldsun

less than 2 min read
May 6, 2022 - 12:44PM
0 comments
[PLAYERCARD]Bailey Smith[/PLAYERCARD]’s new look. Picture: Instagram

Bailey Smith’s new look. Picture: Instagram

Page 13

Don't miss out on the headlines from Page 13. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
AFL’s most famous mullet has had a makeover.
Hirsute Bailey Smith, the most followed footballer on the ’Gram, has cut his famous (or infamous) mullet, and the look is quite something.
Hairdresser Joey Scandizzo has cut Vogue editor Anna Wintour’s famous bob, brushed the mane of Priscilla Presley, put tips in Ruby Rose’s pixie cut and styled Lindsay Lohan’s strawberry blonde locks.
But it’s Western Bulldogs Bailey Smith's mullet that is the inspo behind the full-throttle trend of schoolboy mullets across the state.
How [PLAYERCARD]Bailey Smith[/PLAYERCARD]’s mullet previously looked. Picture: Getty

How Bailey Smith’s mullet previously looked. Picture: Getty
The mullet in full flight. Picture: Michael Klein

Scandizzo says the midfield star is the expert in all things mullet, and that he can’t be credited with the most famous hair of the AFL, but he did give it a sharpen.
“He is the perfect footy player so needed the perfect cut. He has a lot of insight into how it should look, we just did the grooming” Scandizzo said.

More Coverage​

The Dusty buzzcut, based around Instagram’s second most followed star Dustin Martin’s unique haircut, is all but a distant memory, with the mullet craze no longer even considered “ironic” anymore.
The Bulldog’s midfield star is not a skullet, which is a cross between a skinhead crewcut and mullet. But the Bailey bowl-cut-mullet could be considered an early Mother’s Day present, with every schoolboy soon to be pleading for the look

:oops: Hope it doesn't take away his powers...​

Bailey Smith has cut his famous mullet and enlisted the help of a hairdresser to the stars​

Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith is sporting a new look, with his locks lopped by a hairdresser whose previous clients include Anna Wintour, Priscilla Presley and Ruby Rose.

Alice Coster
Follow
@aliceheraldsun

less than 2 min read
May 6, 2022 - 12:44PM
0 comments

Page 13

Don't miss out on the headlines from Page 13. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
AFL’s most famous mullet has had a makeover.
Hirsute Bailey Smith, the most followed footballer on the ’Gram, has cut his famous (or infamous) mullet, and the look is quite something.
Hairdresser Joey Scandizzo has cut Vogue editor Anna Wintour’s famous bob, brushed the mane of Priscilla Presley, put tips in Ruby Rose’s pixie cut and styled Lindsay Lohan’s strawberry blonde locks.
But it’s Western Bulldogs Bailey Smith's mullet that is the inspo behind the full-throttle trend of schoolboy mullets across the state.

Scandizzo says the midfield star is the expert in all things mullet, and that he can’t be credited with the most famous hair of the AFL, but he did give it a sharpen.
“He is the perfect footy player so needed the perfect cut. He has a lot of insight into how it should look, we just did the grooming” Scandizzo said.

More Coverage​

The Dusty buzzcut, based around Instagram’s second most followed star Dustin Martin’s unique haircut, is all but a distant memory, with the mullet craze no longer even considered “ironic” anymore.
The Bulldog’s midfield star is not a skullet, which is a cross between a skinhead crewcut and mullet. But the Bailey bowl-cut-mullet could be considered an early Mother’s Day present, with every schoolboy soon to be pleading for the look
Dude looks like a feminist with the new cut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back