D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I had the option of studying Latin at school but regrettably opted not to. Now I have to use to Google translate...with all its faults and mine...the results can be unpredictable:)

I'm going to try this one again....don't mark too harshly;)

Melior dies cum magistro magno quam mille dies studiorum diligentium
Optimo = excellent is probably what you mean rather than magno = big. I don't recall ever being taught to decline irrumare. Latin is a dead language, as dead as dead can be, it killed the ancient Romans and now it's killing me.

A gem of a thread, it beats sack Bev.

Last edited:
Mine meant “we live in hope” but I had to look it up :$. I thought it was the same one as some clever poster had as a sig a few years ago (prior to 2016). Anyone remember who, or what the quote was?
Let me think … 🤔

1651885469367.png

Attachments

• 1651885391439.png
    1651885391439.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 48

The Buck

All Australian
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can someone please post the Sam Landsberger article about female umpires from the HUN today?

Here you are Philthy1. A bit lengthy though.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s-story/76e29bd14acb030c098103dfe0c89599?amp#

AFL female umpire abuse scandal: Reaction to the damning report​

Susan Alberti is synonymous with women’s football. And she was so appalled by stories from female umpires across the country that she terminated her sponsorship.

Sam Landsberger Sam Landsberger

@samlandsberger

7 min read
May 3, 2022 - 4:02PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
Susan Alberti was appalled by the treatment of female umpires.

Susan Alberti was appalled by the treatment of female umpires.

Women’s football pioneer Susan Alberti terminated her sponsorship of female umpires because she was “so disgusted” at how they were being treated.

Alberti, 74, wrote out cheques totalling close to $100,000 but pulled the plug after several females umpiring in the country contacted her to discuss their “appalling circumstances”.
The Herald Sun exposed the toxic male-dominated culture in umpiring ranks when it released a damning AFL report.
Professor Clare Hanlon, Victoria University, wants to now collaborate with the AFL on a follow-up report into the national crisis.
Susan Alberti pulled the plug after several complaints from umpires. Picture : Michael Klein

Susan Alberti pulled the plug after several complaints from umpires. Picture : Michael Klein
“There is a need to stamp out bad behavior and a destructive environment,” Hanlon told the Herald Sun.
“Victoria University is focused on collaborating with organisations to create no boundaries for women as leaders, that includes umpires.
“We look forward to an invitation from the AFL to collaborate in their quest to create an inclusive and welcoming environment for women as umpires.”
Alberti, who is chair of Victoria University Women in Sport, wasn’t surprised by the shocking stories of sexual abuse and harassment revealed in the AFL report.
“I thought they should be getting their act together, which I had hoped they were,” the former Western Bulldogs vice-president told the Herald Sun.
“So I stopped sponsoring annually the women’s umpiring.
“I’ve had contact with many women, female umpires from the country, and described circumstances that were appalling.
“(They’ve got) bare amenities. They need their own changerooms.
“They’d be made to stand outside while the men got changed. This is in the middle of winter, and the same thing would occur after the game.
“What has been described (in the Herald Sun) is so accurate it’s not funny with what’s happening to these young women.
“We’ve got to do something about encouraging women to become more interested in becoming umpires.
“What they’re having to put up with is intolerable.
“It’s been suppressed for far too long. It would be 10 years since I started sponsoring women’s umpiring, but I stopped after six because I was becoming very concerned about the AFL’s attitude to women in umpiring.
“I don’t want to be superior – I just want to be treated as an equal. That’s all I ask for. The women are not getting that.”
Alberti says women aren’t getting equal treatment in the umpiring ranks.

Alberti says women aren’t getting equal treatment in the umpiring ranks.
Alberti said girls were being treated “with disdain and not with respect”.
“I was disgusted with the way women were being treated. When I stumped up that money all those years ago I could see the women were on their knees, and I felt I had to do something,” she said.
“I was in a position to make a difference. Women don’t get a fair go so I stumped up with my own money.
“The argument always was, ‘They’re not qualified enough’. Well, for God’s sake qualify them.
“Give them their opportunities, give them their pathways.”
Alberti said one region was down to a single female umpire while Federal Employment and Workforce Minister Stuart Robert said on Monday the AFL needed to take immediate action.
“As the Workforce Minister I’m telling them – resolve it now,” he said after reading the Herald Sun’s report.
“If they don’t, there are workplace laws that can be enacted because this is a workplace and everyone needs to understand that.
“It’s not just footy. We love our footy ... but this is a workplace and people should feel safe and respected in their workplace.”
GOVT’S WARNING TO AFL OVER UMPIRE ABUSE REPORT
— Rebecca Williams and Lauren Wood
Melbourne defender Steven May has described the findings of an AFL report into umpire abuse and sexual assault “disgraceful” while called Government has called for immediate action.
A disturbing 62-page document detailing abuse suffered by female and non-binary umpires at all levels was leaked by the Herald Sun.
Female umpires have been touched and grabbed during matches, overheard lewd discussions at training about their “boobs”, and received explicit photos.
Other complaints include female umpires being forced to share change rooms with naked goal umpires described as “grandpas” and being racially vilified in the workplace.
The extensive research into an extreme shortage of female umpiring, conducted by The University of Sydney in 2020-21 and funded by the AFL, was published last August.The AFL did not want the findings made public.
“That’s disgraceful,” May said of the findings.
“I can’t believe our junior umpires and our junior female umpires are experiencing that sort of stuff.
“We need to set the example and I think the AFL is navigating their way through that this year with the free kicks and dissent ... but that’s really disappointing to hear that about the junior level.
“You’d think it’s safe and at that age group, it’s all about fun, but for that to be happening is really disappointing.
“Hopefully they can get on top of that (as soon as possible).”
Meanwhile, Federal Employment and Workforce Minister Stuart Robert said the AFL needed to take immediate action to protect female umpires.
“As the Workforce Minister I’m telling them, resolve it now,” he said.
“If they don’t, there are workplace laws that can be enacted because this is a workplace and everyone needs to understand that. It’s not just footy. We love our footy ... but this is a workplace and people should feel safe and respected in their workplace.”
“Who treats young girls like this? Seriously? Who does this to people, people giving their time? It’s an opportunity to bring women into sport.”
FOOTY GREATS CALL OUT AFL’S ‘BURY-IT’ TACTIC WITH ABUSE REPORT
Melbourne champion Garry Lyon has questioned why a damning report into female football umpiring was not made public by the AFL, declaring “you can’t bury this stuff”.
A damning 62-page leaked report revealed by the Herald Sun found young female umpires had quit after being sexually assualted, harrassed and insulted by male colleagues.
Lyon said findings needed to be made public and acted upon to ensure these situations “never happened again”.
“We want this game to thrive and continue and we can’t do it without umpires,” Lyon said on SEN.
“A great way to be able to address this shortfall is to make it more welcoming and make it easier for women and girls to enter in.
“You can’t bury this stuff. This is why I asked the question about why it wasn’t released because you have to make it public so that then we address it and make sure that it never happens again.
“Maybe they turn-around and say, well look, if it is public, as it is now, then those that were inclined to get involved may not be but I don’t think that’s the answer. I think the answer is addressing it and fixing it.”
Former Collingwood coach turned commentator Nathan Buckley said the game still had a “long way to go to” to encourage more female participation in the umpiring fraternity.
“There is two parts to that. One is the numbers and the fact that we want to increase the representation of women in umpiring,” Buckley said.
“We want to increase the representation of umpires across the board. That’s clearly been an issue with the dissent conversation.
“The second one is the environment that we set up for people and some of the anecdotes that came through in that story and our of that report, we have still got a long way to go.
“We are more conscious of it and we I say we, I say men are more conscious of it than we have been in the past, I think that is a step forward.
“But it’s time to squash it altogether.”
READ THE FULL 62-PAGE REPORT HERE
The report developed 11 recommendations to create positive cultural change across all levels of umpiring.

1. Education initiatives that focus on gender equity and preventing gendered harassment, violence and sexism to a range of different umpiring stakeholder groups;
2. Research into the implementation of a centralised procedure (reporting tool) so that umpires can report problematic incidents of discrimination or other cultural forms of exclusion;
The front page of the report

The front page of the report
3. Adoption of inclusive change room policies across all levels;
4. The use of gender-neutral language and imagery in all correspondence and coaching, as well as the use of diverse examples of gender and race in coaching imagery and examples;
5. At State League level, employment of all support staff including physical conditioning staff with appropriate training/experience with female athletes or mixed gender groups;
6. Investigation of the feasibility of a parallel umpiring talent pathway for girls and women across State League & Talent Pathway competitions and the AFLW competition;
7. Investigation of the feasibility of a parallel umpiring participation pathway for girls and women across community football;
8. Consistent utilisation of exit interviews and/ or anonymous feedback forms with discontinuing umpires;
9. Investigation and implementation of active efforts to recruit more female umpiring coaches;
10. Formation and maintenance of a committee as an independent consultancy board to have regular, timely discussions to monitor the progress of these recommendations and other umpiring inclusion initiatives;
11. Investment of time and other resources into further research about the social and cultural environments in umpiring and initiatives and strategies to support social cohesion and equity in these environments.

Loading embed...

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
We made the front page of the Herald sun today. It’s pretty clear the club needs to get to come out and address it now because it’s not a good look for the club at the moment.

We made the front page of the Herald sun today. It’s pretty clear the club needs to get to come out and address it now because it’s not a good look for the club at the moment.

Makes a change from Nadia Bartel I guess.

I don't think the Club can say anything as it's going to court.

Last edited:

Western Bulldogs sex abuse scandal heads to court​

The Western Bulldogs are facing a multimillion-dollar claim in a landmark legal case for the AFL over historic sexual abuse at Whitten Oval.

Stephen Drill
Follow

@steveheraldsun

2 min read
May 10, 2022 - 6:00AM
News Corp Australia Network
Adam Kneale has taken the Western Bulldogs to court over historic sexual abuse at Whitten Oval. Picture: Josie Hayden

Adam Kneale has taken the Western Bulldogs to court over historic sexual abuse at Whitten Oval. Picture: Josie Hayden

Exclusive: The Western Bulldogs are facing a multimillion-dollar claim in a landmark legal case over historic sexual abuse at Whitten Oval.
Adam Kneale has lodged a lawsuit against the Bulldogs in the Supreme Court of Victoria.
He claims the Bulldogs did nothing to protect him from convicted paedophile Graeme Hobbs, who was a “jack of all trades” at the club.
Wesley College paid out $3 million and Geelong College was forced to pay $2.7 million in similar sexual abuse cases in Victoria last year.
Mr Kneale is the first person to sue an AFL club over sexual abuse but other clubs also face potential claims.
St Kilda was accused of failing to protect its little league players from paedophiles, with former star Rod Owen among the victims.
And a convicted paedophile ran Carlton’s little league team between 1973 and 1977.

Michael Magazanik, a partner at Rightside Legal who filed the case, said Mr Kneale wanted to hold the Bulldogs to account.
“In 1993, when he was 21, Adam told his story to police, and Hobbs and another man were jailed. But that didn’t end Adam’s suffering and he has now lived with the consequences for almost 40 years,” Mr Magazanik said.
“Adam is the first person to sue an AFL club over child abuse – but other will follow because there were multiple paedophiles involved in little league teams during the 1970s. Some of those survivors are also considering legal claims.”
Hobbs, who died in 2009, was a fixture at the Bulldogs in the 1980s when he was the under-19 team steward, a chairman of the fundraising committee and “jack of all trades”.
He abused Mr Kneale, now 49, between 1984 and 1990, including in “the grandstand” at Whitten Oval while games were being played.
Mr Kneale was only 11 years old when he met Hobbs at the Bulldogs, which was then known as the Footscray Football Club.
Mr Kneale reported his abuse to police in a 5,500 word statement, which led to Hobbs’ arrest.
Another victim also came forward at the time, with Hobbs pleading guilty to the abuse of Mr Kneale, as well as another child, with offences dating back to 1965.
A newspaper report from 1994 detailing allegations against Graeme Hobbs, who worked at the Western Bulldogs.

A newspaper report from 1994 detailing allegations against Graeme Hobbs, who worked at the Western Bulldogs.
The Western Times, a local newspaper that circulated in Melbourne’s west, detailed the court case on its front page in 1994.
The court heard that Hobbs, who was known as “Chops”, had given Mr Kneale free season tickets, “as many as I wanted for my friends”.
The court was told: “When police raided his home on February 9, 1993, they discovered 39 Footscray Football Club membership cards and 14 Footscray Football Club membership medallions. Prosecutor Ms Francine McNiff said the Crown would suggest that these items were used by Hobbs to cultivate boys.”
Mr Kneale, who gave permission to be named in this story, wanted to speak out to help others, Mr Magazanik said.
Adam Kneale as a child. Picture: Supplied

Adam Kneale as a child. Picture: Supplied
The 49-year-old is suing the Western Bulldogs. Picture: Supplied.

The 49-year-old is suing the Western Bulldogs. Picture: Supplied.
The Bulldogs said when asked about the case: “Due to the sensitive nature of these issues, and the commencement of legal proceedings before a jury, the Club is not in a position to comment further at this time.”
However, Bulldogs chief executive Ameet Bains said before the case was filed that the club was “shocked and dismayed to learn about the terrible abuse suffered by Adam Kneale in the 1980s.”
“What Adam was subjected to as a child and the impact it has subsequently had on the remainder of his life is heartbreaking and distressing,” Mr Bains said.

More Coverage​

“Football clubs should be a safe and enjoyable place for all people, especially children, so Adam’s experiences and the fact that elements of this abuse occurred at the hands of a Footscray Football Club volunteer are simply devastating.”

Back