What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Not surprising, but I agree with the position that punishing people for off-season activities is possibly overreach.

So drugs are bad, but fighting in public is not as bad and gambling is not only ok it’s actively encouraged. I know there are differences in legality but the balance here seems off.

I'm sick of hearing about bailey smith.

Also bruce isn't back this week???? ffs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting what the AFL decides is conduct unbecoming. Gave the Melbourne punch up the all clear.
I'd imagine most of society and the law would think that assualt was less becoming than taking recreational drugs.

Recreational drugs affect on field performance though. Local footballers who have taken drugs before a game practically bragged to me that they felt indestructible out on the field and played with a ridiculous amount of confidence. That just isn't fair on other players.

I know Smith took drugs in the off season, but I still don't think it's a good look and agree with the AFL on this one.

Recreational drugs affect on field performance though. Local footballers who have taken drugs before a game practically bragged to me that they felt indestructible out on the field and played with a ridiculous amount of confidence. That just isn't fair on other players.

I know Smith took drugs in the off season, but I still don't think it's a good look and agree with the AFL on this one.
Ok two weeks, fair punishment, hope we, and he, can then move on and it’s not constantly referred to. (Faint hope, knowing media, commentators etc 🙁)

But it's not a drug ban, it's a ban for conduct unbecoming. I'm not necessarily saying a ban is inappropriate but it just seems like another ad-hoc AFL ruling.
What's stopping them from saying an AFL player being drink in public or saying something that they consider inappropriate is conduct unbecoming?

But it's not a drug ban, it's a ban for conduct unbecoming. I'm not necessarily saying a ban is inappropriate but it just seems like another ad-hoc AFL ruling.
What's stopping them from saying an AFL player being drink in public or saying something that they consider inappropriate is conduct unbecoming?

But getting into a brawl with teammates while pissed in public isn't.

Because it's different. These kinds of drugs can help on field performance and they are illegal. Getting drunk in public, bashing someone up etc doesn't help on field performance.

If the AFL started banning footballers from being drunk in public the players association would and should kick up a big stink about it.

Because it's different. These kinds of drugs can help on field performance and they are illegal. Getting drunk in public, bashing someone up etc doesn't help on field performance.

If the AFL started banning footballers from being drunk in public the players association would and should kick up a big stink about it.
I don't agree that they're performance enhancing. Of course there are exceptions but for 99% of players they would result in worse performance. Even caffeine pills are too over stimulating.

I'd estimate that the amount of AFL players doing recreational drugs is above 30%. Just because it's incredibly stigmatized behaviour doesn't mean that it's wrong. Just because it's illegal doesn't mean that it's wrong either. I'm hoping it'll take just 10 more years to wake up to science done in the 90s.

An authentic public conversation to have is every player coming out and acknowledging that they've done it vs. punishing the 1 in 100 who gets caught. Head in the sand 'we don't see when our eyes are closed' is the worst form of decision making and adjudication.

But he was using drugs in the off season, he wasn’t even back at training.

That is what pre and post game testing is for. It seems like the majority of players are using recreational drugs these days they are just smart enough to not do it during the season, or at least the couple of days before a game.

Drugs in sport is not a good look for the AFL at any time particularly when it's that blatant. It's not like this kind of punishment hasn't happened before, Mumford received a similar punishment.
But the punishment isn't for taking drugs, its for having someone else leak a photo. If a player tests positive but no photo is leaked then they receive a strike. I know there is a precedent but the issue is that it is a punishment that the AFL has decided on with no policy. Like most AFL decisions it comes down to what they feel will appease public/media opinion whilst fitting in with their agendas and not upsetting clubs and the PA too much. It's not the way these issues should be dealt with. These instances should be included in the drug policy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back