What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

AAE6F95B-06DD-4066-AE22-FB2469D9D894.jpeg
Read Robbo’s first sentence “he was in my top 10 but is unable to play to those expectations” He is not playing to your expectations Robbo!

View attachment 1478518
Read Robbo’s first sentence “he was in my top 10 but is unable to play to those expectations” He is not playing to your expectations Robbo!

DGB may end up another reach for a key defender in the top 10. A few drafts recently have been light on for KPDs and teams have still gone for the best in class with very high picks. Think this year may be the same.

Last edited:

"The Bulldogs were keen on Essendon's pick 11 to be a part of the deal but the Bombers traded that out earlier in proceedings to recruit Devon Smith from Greater Western Sydney, leaving the Dogs to target later selections.

They were stuck between a rock and a hard place, with the Bombers holding the whip hand given the Bulldogs had encouraged Stringer to look at his trade options.

The haggling continued until the final two hours of the Trade Period, finally resulting in the Bulldogs offloading the 23-year-old Stringer for picks 25 and 30.

The Dogs used pick 30, alongside pick 28 and a future second-round selection to grab picks 16 and 40 off Carlton. They then swapped picks 25 and 40 for Brisbane forward Josh Schache, who this year has had a rebirth as a key defender, while later drafting smart left-footer Ed Richards with pick No.16."

Schache no rebirth he may well be delisted at year end after an underwhelming few years, however I would still take the Richards for Stringer swap and no Stringer baggage

Schache no rebirth he may well be delisted at year end after an underwhelming few years, however I would still take the Richards for Stringer swap and no Stringer baggage
Schache would drool over continued selection as a tall forward averaging fewer than a goal a game. How many more games must we lose preferring underperforming forwards whilst seasoned proven performers languish in the twos ? Get Wallis fit, bring back Bruce and Schache. Return Naughton to defence, where he's sorely needed, keep Weightman and West and there's a spot for English/Johannisen/McRae/Smith/Mccomb/Van Der Meer, whoever. A forward line that can kick goals and win games,

Last edited:
Schache would drool over continued selection as a tall forward averaging fewer than a goal a game. How many more games must we lose preferring underperforming forwards whilst seasoned proven performers languish in the twos ? Get Wallis fit, bring back Bruce and Schache. Return Naughton to defence, where he's sorely needed, keep Weightman and West and there's a spot for English/Johannisen/McRae/Smith/Mccomb/Van Der Meer, whoever. A forward line that can kick goals and win games,

Would it surprise you to learn that Josh Schache kicks fewer goals on average than Jamarra Ugle-Hagan over his career? He is also worse in every other key statistic that forwards are usually judged on, such as contested marks. And that's ignoring the fact he's five years older. If you compare them when Schache was the same age then it's even worse news for your mate Josh. You are right about one thing though; Schache is an excellent VFL player.

Would it surprise you to learn that Josh Schache kicks fewer goals on average than Jamarra Ugle-Hagan over his career? He is also worse in every other key statistic that forwards are usually judged on, such as contested marks. And that's ignoring the fact he's five years older. If you compare them when Schache was the same age then it's even worse news for your mate Josh. You are right about one thing though; Schache is an excellent VFL player.
You’re forgetting the main issue though he’s a nice white blonde haired blue eyed boy

There you go with that hero worship.

💯 and anyone who disagrees is either a B’s fan or has a hard on for 2015 Jakey Boy.

I don't give 2 hoots about which of Ugle-Hagan or Schache is/was the statistical better at whatever age and neither should you. I want blokes on the forward line who kick goals and win games. I couldn't give even further 2 hoots about future performance, for feck's sake, half of us will be dead by the time Ugle-Hagan becomes sufficiently functional to replicate 2016. With a bit of luck and better goal kicking, we might, just might, make finals this season with a list that is capable of going deep into finals, perhaps even.. but not with our current forward set up, a Hail Mary for an emotionally hopeful distant future.

Out: Naughton. Back to Defence where we really need you. Ugle-Hagan, to the Twos, that 6 weeks there mid season improved him from a 6 disposal; to a 10 disposal but it didn't improve scoring sufficiently to win us games( don't even bother giving me the fluke over the shoulder against Melbourne the game won, and a 30 metre shot from in front, my Grandmother would have got that and still on the boat from the Old Country.

In: Schache, enough said. Bruce. Just what our soft forward line (absent Naughton) needs.

Last edited:
I don't give 2 hoots about which of Ugle-Hagan or Schache is/was the statistical better at whatever age and neither should you. I want blokes on the forward line who kick goals and win games. I couldn't give even further 2 hoots about future performance, for feck's sake, half of us will be dead by the time Ugle-Hagan becomes sufficiently functional to replicate 2016. With a bit of luck and better goal kicking, we might, just might, make finals this season with a list that is capable of going deep into finals, perhaps even.. but not with our current forward set up, a Hail Mary for an emotionally hopeful distant future.

Out: Naughton. Back to Defence where we really need you. Ugle-Hagan, to the Twos, that 6 weeks there mid season improved him from a 6 disposal; to a 10 disposal but it didn't improve scoring sufficiently to win us games.
In: Schache, enough said. Bruce. Just what our soft forward line (absent Naughton) needs.

So you'd rather Schache over Ugle-Hagan, despite the fact that he's a statistically inferior player, and has never stood up in a big game once in his life? When was the last time Josh Schache kicked 5 goals in a game against the reigning Premiers? It would never happen. The bloke doesn't have "it." Hes a superstar at state league level but can't make the jump. Ugle-Hagan has him well covered despite being five years his junior. It has nothing to do with potential or future performance. Marra is already the better player and we are more likely to win games with him in the side than with Schache.

Out: Naughton. Back to Defence where we really need you. Ugle-Hagan, to the Twos, that 6 weeks there mid season improved him from a 6 disposal; to a 10 disposal but it didn't improve scoring sufficiently to win us games.
Lol. Ugle-Hagan has been great for the last 6-8 weeks. What possible rational do you have for him to be dropped and for Schache to replace him? Or for Bruce to replace him which is further laughable if you’re basing it off form.

He could have kicked straighter on the weekend but so could have 21 of our other players. He marked brilliantly and lead better than the rest of our forward line. I haven’t seen many other forwards on our list lead, get 15m space and take a mark 40 metres out directly in front all year.

He also is making an impact with the disposals he has that aren’t kicks at goal.

I was sceptical about people on here making ascertains about your proclivity for certain racial motives but c’mon mate. You really are showing your true colours. Over and over you seem to bash the crap out of Jamarra for no logical reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you'd rather Schache over Ugle-Hagan, despite the fact that he's a statistically inferior player, and has never stood up in a big game once in his life? When was the last time Josh Schache kicked 5 goals in a game against the reigning Premiers? It would never happen. The bloke doesn't have "it." Hes a superstar at state league level but can't make the jump. Ugle-Hagan has him well covered despite being five years his junior. It has nothing to do with potential or future performance. Marra is already the better player and we are more likely to win games with him in the side than with Schache.
I wouldn’t bother the poster Clearly hates JUH since day one

So you'd rather Schache over Ugle-Hagan, despite the fact that he's a statistically inferior player, and has never stood up in a big game once in his life? When was the last time Josh Schache kicked 5 goals in a game against the reigning Premiers? It would never happen. The bloke doesn't have "it." Hes a superstar at state league level but can't make the jump. Ugle-Hagan has him well covered despite being five years his junior.
My bloody oath, I would. The last game is against a tough, experienced, hard nosed club, I want a tall forward who can kick multiple goals, run like the wind, present all over the oval and still be able to kick a 60 metre goal in the last 20 seconds, that's Schache. Finals are Dunkley, Libber, Bont, McRae, Smith, Naughton, not potential for some imagined future.

don't even bother giving me the fluke over the shoulder against Melbourne the game won, and a 30 metre shot from in front, my Grandmother would have got that and still on the boat from the Old Country.

So the easy ones don't count and the difficult ones are flukes? You're a tough customer to appease. I'm gonna start calling you Goldilocks.

Lol. Ugle-Hagan has been great for the last 6-8 weeks. What possible rational do you have for him to be dropped and for Schache to replace him? Or for Bruce to replace him which is further laughable if you’re basing it off form.

He could have kicked straighter on the weekend but so could have 21 of our other players. He marked brilliantly and lead better than the rest of our forward line. I haven’t seen many other forwards on our list lead, get 15m space and take a mark 40 metres out directly in front all year.

He also is making an impact with the disposals he has that aren’t kicks at goal.

I was sceptical about people on here making ascertains about your proclivity for certain racial motives but c’mon mate. You really are showing your true colours. Over and over you seem to bash the crap out of Jamarra for no logical reason.
How goods his work been off the ball, he still gets gassed easily but he’s ferocious the way he chases and tackles even when he’s out of the contest. Once he has the tank to do it for 4 qtrs and some added strength for his tackles to stick, having both Naughty & Marra adding a genuine defensive presence and causing chaos for the opposition at ground level is going to add a serious point of difference to our forward line, considering they’re our two tall forwards and for most gun tall forwards across the league the most you can expect is a token half assed chase.

How goods his work been off the ball, he still gets gassed easily but he’s ferocious the way he chases and tackles even when he’s out of the contest. Once he has the tank to do it for 4 qtrs and some added strength for his tackles to stick, having both Naughty & Marra adding a genuine defensive presence and causing chaos for the opposition at ground level is going to add a serious point of difference to our forward line, considering they’re our two tall forwards and for most gun tall forwards across the league the most you can expect is a token half assed chase.
Yep I’ve been really impressed with some of his work in traffic and the handballs he fires out too. Not to mention his long kicks to advantage going into the forward line. Being a forward himself, seems to know exactly where to float them.

His pressure work has improved 10x on his debut too. Clearly gassed at points but no more than others on the team. Have noticed Williams looks particularly cooked and sweaty at points this year.

Okay this one has to be a pisstake considering only of those two has ever done that before in their careers and it was Marra about 3 weeks ago. I think we’ve been played

Yeah, I think you're right. To be honest I actually thought DMs early criticisms of Marra were reasonable, even though I didn't agree. I can't tell where exactly it went from being a genuine criticism to DM trolling us. It was well played by him, as much as I hate to admit it.

Ah, I remember the first time I did acid too. Enjoy.
That says much. My fine Northern Hemisphere single malt continues to serve me well.
Yeah, I think you're right. To be honest I actually thought DMs early criticisms of Marra were reasonable, even though I didn't agree. I can't tell where exactly it went from being a genuine criticism to DM trolling us. It was well played by him, as much as I hate to admit it.
Players have to earn their spot. 4 games lost, to date. 10 plus disposals is a huge improvement but he's there to kick goals. Schache not only kicks goals, he wins 1 on 1s and can defend. Why pick an under performer when there's a Premiership at stake ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back