What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 31, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is no window. Geelong have proven that.
Disagree. There is a window but Geelong just did a great job of extending it through continually addressing needs with AA quality playesr.

1/3 of their highest performers will retire in the next 2 years. Extremely unlikely they are Top 8 competitive in 2025.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Disagree. There is a window but Geelong just did a great job of extending it through continually addressing needs with AA quality playesr.

1/3 of their highest performers will retire in the next 2 years. Extremely unlikely they are Top 8 competitive in 2025.

Watch them go out and continue to trade for AA quality players and then again and again and again...while we p*** around with the likes of McComb, Martin, Scott, O'Brien, Cordy and all the deadwood we collect.

I guess we need to get better corporates on board that can sort our players out with nice little pubs, businesses, property etc to sweeten those contracts.

Watch them go out and continue to trade for AA quality players and then again and again and again...while we p*** around with the likes of McComb, Martin, Scott, O'Brien, Cordy and all the deadwood we collect.
Good players want to go to them, they rarely nominate us.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I think the redevelopment of W Oval will help. The continued gentrification of the west will also make a difference. Geelong proves how important lifestyle draw is.

Yes, but if Geelong the club was a mess, it wouldn't matter at all about the lifestyle. They're attracted to the club first and foremost. It's how well the club is run on and off field.

You can live anywhere you like. Players are wealthy enough that if they want to live near the beach and come to Melbourne for training they could do that, so I think that's a minor part in the whole scheme of things. Players know if they go to Geelong they're going to play finals and play in flags.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
So we need to go about changing that.
Should have changed in 2016.

The fact that we actually lost our premiership full back and got nothing out of that pre-season is the problem.
There is no better selling point than "hey want to join a flag winning side that's yet to hit their prime from one of the coolest suburbs in Melbourne under an innovative young coach?" Yet we actually lost players from then on. It was criminal. And if we weren't in a post-flag haze heads should have rolled.

How do we sell ourselves now? "Want to come play with a bunch of flakes under a burnt out coach playing a tired outdated gamestyle?"

Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
Should have changed in 2016.

The fact that we actually lost our premiership full back and got nothing out of that pre-season is the problem.
There is no better selling point than "hey want to join a flag winning side that's yet to hit their prime from one of the coolest suburbs in Melbourne under an innovative young coach?" Yet we actually lost players from then on. It was criminal. And if we weren't in a post-flag haze heads should have rolled.

How do we sell ourselves now? "Want to come play with a bunch of flakes under a burnt out coach playing a tired outdated gamestyle?"
People who live in the west may see how nice it is but the majority of people who live on the other side of the city still see Footscray and the rest of the western suburbs as a crime-riddled, drug-riddled, lower class s**t hole. Unfortunately stereotypes are easy to acquire but extremely hard to shake off.

People who live in the west may see how nice it is but the majority of people who live on the other side of the city still see Footscray and the rest of the western suburbs as a crime-riddled, drug-riddled, lower class s**t hole. Unfortunately stereotypes are easy to acquire but extremely hard to shake off.
Yeah my son has been doing some work in the Frankston area, he couldn’t believe how rough it is.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Depends on your generation.
30 and lower the stereotype is changing rapidly for all but the upper-class.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Depends on your generation.
30 and lower the stereotype is changing rapidly for all but the upper-class.
It’s a really important time to capitalize on a whole new generation of families and kids who have no pre-conceived notion or are newly proud of their neighborhoods. Total baby boom going on in the west.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
It’s a really important time to capitalize on a whole new generation of families and kids who have no pre-conceived notion or are newly proud of their neighborhoods. Total baby boom going on in the west.

Absolutely. Some bloody great areas to live in the west (very proud of my area), Yarraville, Newport, Spotswood, Point Cook to name a few.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footscray is the new Northcote/Brunswick/Fitzroy area as young hipsters can't afford to rent or buy there now....loads of new bars & live music pubs, food & we even have our own record store....

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Footscray is the new Northcote/Brunswick/Fitzroy area as young hipsters can't afford to rent or buy there now....loads of new bars & live music pubs, food & we even have our own record store....
In all seriousness gentrification does cause issues tho. I remember seeing scrawled in wet footpath concrete on the way to Footscray station about 10 years ago "bring back the junkies, f*ck the hipster scum"... no word of a lie.

ArNcHiSe

Senior List
Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Heard the exact same thing about the cats for the last 5-7 years from posters on this site.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In all seriousness gentrification does cause issues tho. I remember seeing scrawled in wet footpath concrete on the way to Footscray station about 10 years ago "bring back the junkies, f*ck the hipster scum"... no word of a lie.
It’s still there! I think it says yuppies…but yeah. Some people clearly not happy with the way it’s going. And that was well before all the apartments were built on the riverside. How they all got approved I’ll never know.

Footscray is great though. I’m in West Footscray and wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. Just need some more bars up my end of Barkly St and I’ll be in heaven.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
It’s still there! I think it says yuppies…but yeah. Some people clearly not happy with the way it’s going. And that was well before all the apartments were built on the riverside. How they all got approved I’ll never know.

Footscray is great though. I’m in West Footscray and wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. Just need some more bars up my end of Barkly St and I’ll be in heaven.
I live in West Footscray too. Love the place but hate the c#nt who stole my bike from the front of my house. If I know who it is, I will cut his b@lls!!! also the pr*ck who stole the front wheel of my bikE at west footscray train station. you are totally gone you degenerate lowlife T0RD!
P.S. PARDON THE SWEARING. IN SPITE OF ALL THAT I LOVE WEST FOOTSCRAY.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I live in West Footscray too. Love the place but hate the c#nt who stole my bike from the front of my house. If I know who it is, I will cut his b@lls!!! also the pr*ck who stole the front wheel of my bikE at west footscray train station. you are totally gone you degenerate lowlife T0RD!
P.S. PARDON THE SWEARING. IN SPITE OF ALL THAT I LOVE WEST FOOTSCRAY.
Can confirm perro lives in West Footscray.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back